Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Ormonde Jayne thoughts

I recently re tested a whole lot of Ormonde Jaynes. My favorites were Tolu and Frangipani Absolute.
    The Frangipani Absolute is a treasure ! A very true to life frangipani flower.
    I was disappointed with Champaca and Tiare though I know they have their fans.
    Orris Noir is quite wonderful too.
    I like Ormonde Woman but it's not full bottle worthy to me. Talking of bottles...the bottles are lovely .

Which are your favorites and why ?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ormonde Jayne thoughts

Blasphemer! How you can open an Ormonde Jayne thread and state that the lead fragrance is only so-so is just horrifying to the devotee! (Only kidding) This does, however leave the gorgeous juice all to those of us who adore it. Truly, this is juice for the green fiends out there. It has a green vibe like no other. Its hemlock mossiness is not to be missed, and it is completely unique from any other green scent. I get the most amazing scent memories from this one. On the other hand, I wish I could find another scent at OJ that I liked as well as this. The florals are all too cloying for me.

Basenotes Institution

Oh dear Kumquat ! Sorry ! *LOL* I do like Ormonde Woman but I guess I becoming a real floral fiend ! I am totally in love with frangipani Absolute right now.

Ormonde is my absolute favourite, but I also love Champaca (basmati rice, mmmmm....), Ta'if, Orris Noir and Frangipani Absolute. I liked Tolu, too.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I love the Woman and Tolu, own both. Never tried the later ones as they started selling the samples as a set and not individually.
    DONNA

Mimi ( a fragrant hello, btw!!!)
    I've tried a few from this house, and 'Woman' was not a big hit with me. Tolu i liked but it was a touch too sweet to make my buy list.

In general, I saw this line wearing 'musty' on me, i.e, after the 3 hour mark (and for all perfumes), i start getting that dirty body smell. i attribute this to vetiver but i'm really not sure. I know this line has plenty of fans but I'd like to see them tighten things up a bit, get those notes crisper and step off the skanky train. We'll see, I may circle back to this house later this year.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Basenotes Institution

Hey Baykat ! Hello back !

Thanks for your thoughts ! Ormonde Woman and Nasomatto Absinthe were quite similar on my skin. Neither are my faves. Frangipani Absolute is a dream - it's so realistic.
    You know my thoughts on Tiare !

My favorite one so far is Tolu. I have the sample set which didn't include Tiare.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus

Bought a decant of Frangipani Absolute from The Perfumed Court, loved it immediately and ordered a bottle, also bought a complete sampler set. So far the only one I've tried is Ormonde Woman and liked it alot, but I'll have to wear it a few more times before I would order a bottle. Wearing Frangipani Absolute makes you feel like you're in Hawaii, it's an absolutely beautiful fragrance.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 17th July 2010 at 02:35 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Well, here's another voice kicking in with the Ormonde Woman just didn't do it for me. However, I am nuts over several of her other scents. I'm an Osmanthus fan...big time! LOVE it. I've owned Tolu & had a brief love affair with it, it didn't last, the love affair, not the scent. Tolu has fantastic longevity. It was just so linear on me, I got bored.

I also love Sampaquita but I have to use a light hand with it, so it's good I just have a little sample.

I haven't tried T'aif or the Lily.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Hillaire

I discovered OW a couple of years ago and fell in love. However, I actually traded my bottle away eventually, as I just found myself almost seeing more as a home fragrance. An interesting and expensive-smelling home scent, but just somehow, oddly not for the body. (At least not for my chemistry.)

Anyway, the only other one I tried at that time was Ta'if, which was too sour, and somehow funnily struck me as a 'variation on a theme' of OW, and one that did not work as well, if that makes sense. I would not want my home to smell of Taif, rose-lover that I am.

I did not get back into trying these until a couple of months ago while traveling in London; my BF and I decided to visit the shop and get samples of the whole line. My intention with this effort was to play with the samples and go back to purchase my favorite, hoping to find something as inspired and interesting As OW, but more 'wearable' and soft.

My BF decidedly did not like any of the masculines, finding the whole range 'rocky' and Creed-like, and commenting on a rather 'heavy hand' at the blending, as well as no discernible far-away character. However, Ormonde Man was his favorite, and one he said he'd wear if it were a gift, but consider ultimately nichey and again, Creed-like. He further mentioned that he'd lean toward OW for himself, if pressed to pick a single scent from the line. And disagreed with me that it smelled too tart for the skin. I mention his opinions as he's a rather more experienced nose than I.

As for my impressions of the rest of the women's line, I was sort of left cold. Again, many of the scents stuck me as 'spin-offs' of the OW ideal, and again none as interesting. I started to wonder if OW was some sort of fluke of genius and if she had played with it as a foundational idea in all of her other creations. The exceptions were Orris Noir and Sampaquita. Orris Noir wore like sugary vomit on me, and I actually became ill later in the day because of a tenacious little, powdery, artificial spice bit of it fuming up from my lapel. Sampaquita (I realize this is not a popular one) was, conversely, very tolerable and somewhat lovely... but in a banal, height-of-conservative-designer-offerings way. I'd maybe even buy this one, if I wanted a nondescript, well-rendered fruity floral.

Of the women's scents that struck me as OW-flanker-y, Champaca struck me as the most wearable, so much I have contemplated buying it. I find its rice-y softness and crisp drydown very pleasing and curious, if not my perfume-style at all.

As for the bottles, I find the filigree as well as the font very turn of the century, but do like the 'weight' and feel of that type-of bottle. However, again, I am observing this style-tradition on its way out, and witnessing more 'design' returning to perfume-packaging.

I might mention (Don't draw and quarter me, please.) that the decor of the boutique was hideously-pretentious, spa-like and tragically-dated to my sensibility. As a designer, I live and breathe interior aesthetics, though, and my awareness of trends is probably neither normal, nor necessarily healthy. The whole Japanese-inspired dark woods plus orange and black lacquers ('vibrant mandarin and ebony'), and ultra-zen, luxe spa-notions of the 2000-era screamed, "I need a make over, A.S.A.P.!". (The indulgent, Orientaliste, luxe-moderne look has always aged the fastest IMO; I think of Chevy Chase's hilarious gaff in Caddyshack.) Additional 'shabby chic' elements, like black chandeliers, black carpet, and again the OJ signature filigree, only further drove in the sense of this house on the whole, 'losing pace'.

Finally, did OJ pass the Nicolai-control test (My BF and I measure all under- 150USD-range niche offerings against the affordable and rather 'solid' Nicolai line.)? Umm, no, not really; it was too pricey, too riddled with perfumery- failures, queerly artificial-smelling, and on-the-whole, incapable of enchantment. Ultimately, I like the idea of OJ candles most of all.

Grade:
    Artistry: B
    Quality: B
    Image: C-
    Price: B-
    Promise: D-

But that's just my opinion!
    Last edited by Hillaire; 18th July 2010 at 12:40 AM.

I adore Ormonde Woman. It's one of the few greens that I can wear easily, it doesn't become bitter or musty on me. I also like Orris Noir but find it very similar to OW - perhaps my skin magnifies the black hemlock in both?

I got sent a sample of one of the OJs a year or so ago, it was new then and I don't remember its name but it was absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, dropped the sample and smashed as soon as I got it

Also I have found the customer service at OJ exceptional. Would happily buy again... when I scrape up the money (poor uni student!).

Ormonde Woman and Ormonde Man are excellent.
    Last edited by pluran; 17th July 2010 at 10:02 AM.

Un profumo affettuoso

I agree with Hillaire in most respects...my favourite is Ormande MAN - I like it better than the Woman-version... - and I'd also buy a bottle of Champaca, if I had loads of money and wouldn't have to think twice about my perfume purchases. All in all, OJ is not a house I care about that much, since she only does the two fragrances mentioned above which really move me. The rest of the lot leaves me cold.

I love Ta'if - it was one of the many rose-dominant scents recommended in the rose longevity thread. I sampled it this weekend and it's really gorgeous! A bit lemony to start out, but then the rose kicks in and stays for hours. Glad I sampled this.
    I also sampled Tolu, which I also like even though it's not particularly floral. It strikes me as a Shalimar-type oriental, which, as I can't wear Shalimar, I appreciate. But the drydown smells like Terry's Chocolate Orange to me - an orange-flavoured chocolate candy that's very popular here in the UK - and just ended up making me really hungry for orange-flavoured chocolate! Which, as I'm on a strict diet, is not what I need!
    The third scent I sampled was Tiare, but I didn't like it at all. I'm only a beginner in the world of perfume, but to me it had the note of decaying lilies that have been left in a vase too long.
    I may have to get the Ta'if, though.

Basenotes Institution

I didn't like Tiare much either redrose. I must try Ta'if !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 19th July 2010 at 02:13 PM.

My favorite became, somewhat unexpectedly, Ta'if. I didn't like it much when I first tried it, but then I kept going back to it again and again. It's a great, sweet and spicy rose scent.

I also like Woman with its violets and green notes.

Champaca starts as a wonderfully-spiced scent on me, but unfortunately, quickly starts resembling Orris Noir, which is the only JO I shy away from.

Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    My favorite became, somewhat unexpectedly, Ta'if. I didn't like it much when I first tried it, but then I kept going back to it again and again. It's a great, sweet and spicy rose scent.

I also like Woman with its violets and green notes.

Champaca starts as a wonderfully-spiced scent on me, but unfortunately, quickly starts resembling Orris Noir, which is the only JO I shy away from.
    I ended up buying a bottle of Ta'if and have really come to love it. Worn it three days in a row now! The rose is strong but not too sweet, and I like the spicy dry-down too. Maybe it's the broom, which smells like coconut on a warm day. Glad others are discovering this great scent.
    By the way, I got a sample by just e-mailing them and asking for them! This was from England though - might not work elsewhere.

I'm with those who were disappointed with Tiare. Frangipani Absolute* didn't thrill me either, and Champaca is interesting but not exciting, to my nose.

The ones I really like are Ta'if and Woman, which have a similar drydown, IMO. Oh, and Tolu is very, very nice, too.

*Note: I'm going to give my Frangipani sample another whirl, because so many perfume friends seem to love it.

I find I blast through Ormonde Woman faster than any of my bottles--not because it requires massive application (au contraire!)-- but because it works for me in all kinds of weather and moods, and feels right with jeans or a little black dress.

I love Ormonde Man , too, and have used up my sample.

Orris noir caught my attention, too. I lived in a sample for a day or two but it wasn't a must-have.

There are several in my sample pack that I've not tried yet. Fun ahead!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 25th July 2010 at 08:36 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I only love her Frangipani. All the others are not to nice on me.

Thumbs up Re: Ormonde Jayne thoughts

my favourites used to be tolu & ta'if & had been for 5 years....but then something quite amazing happened in the shop. i had the blindfolded experience of my portrait with the charming natalie & i went through the whole drawer of raw ingredients - about 20 of them includinig ambroxan & tiare absolute (a great experience!) & i got converted to the charm of osmanthus & have been wearing it for the past month & loving all aspects of it. my wardrobe smells of it when i open it & my children prefer it now!

I wanted so much to love OJ Osmanthus, hopgin it would have that beautiful fruit/floral balance that floats in the air where the flower grows. Sadly, I come away with a processed fruit salad smell with the juice.

Orris Noir was nice but I could easily pass on it. I've got to get a sample of Ta'if as this has become a favorite note since my sniffing tour of Qatar.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

If I had to chose a single house to provide me with my daily perfume for the rest of my life, it would be Ormonde Jayne. There's no other house which has produced so many scent that have made it onto my "to buy" list.

I adore the rich resinous amberiness of Tolu of which I have already purchased a bottle.

Orris Noir is also a must have, I am saving up to be able to buy it when they have the 20% off offer in November. I love it's darkness and full-bodiedness.

Ormonde Woman is very special. I have never smelled anything resembling it. Mysterious and beautiful creatures in an ancient forest bustling with life (on the to-buy list of course).

Ormonde Man is somewhat a cross-breed between Ormonde Woman and Tolu - of course I love it!

Ta'if - another one I own - sophisticated, elegant and comforting. Delicious, sheer rose adjourned by saffron and sweetened by dates. My favourite rose along Lutens' Sa Majeste La Rose.

Tiare - again one I own. This is less of a favourite and I don't feel that it is irreplaceable (unlike all the above). However, it is a masterful composition, bordering on a cyphre. I wear this when I want to feel elegant and professional.

I love all the florals as well and I'm unable to decide on an order of preference (maybe Osmanthus would be the least favourite). I am planning on purchasing some of them before next summer.

I hope Linda will keep on indulging us for a long time to come with more masterful compositions.