Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which Sandalwood is Best?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diptyque Tam Dao

5 9.62%
  • Creed Santal Imperial

5 9.62%
  • MpG Santal Noble

13 25.00%
  • Profumum Sandalum

6 11.54%
  • LV Sandalo

7 13.46%
  • Other

16 30.77%

Default Sandalwood Recommendation, Please...

I'd like to add a sandalwood to my wardrobe. I have tried Tam Dao and Creed's offerings - I liked Imperial, but not original. I hear good things about a few others. Please vote for your favorite and let me know why - and if "other", don't hesitate to share!

Thanks!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Sandalwood Recommendation, Please...

Chanel Egoiste Concentree
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

LV Sandalo, Period.

AromiErotici

There are fans of those you have listed, but I liked Profumum Santalum original dark and oily version the best.
    The other end of the spectrum is Villoresi's raw rendition. Everything else will fall in between these 2.

Alexa Lixfeld - 002

Off-Scenter

Santal Noble, preferably the original formulation.

MpG Santal Noble

Ooo. I can't choose between Santal Noble and Sandalo. I was tempted to go with Sandalo since I think it'll get fewer votes, but I'll just refrain from voting and post that these are my top two. I suspect the top two vote getters to be Santal Noble and Tam Dao, though. They both have huge fan bases ... and rightly so.

Point Blank

Santal Noble. Simply majestic.

Tam Dao is nice but fleeting with low longevity. I liked wearing it at home on Sunday's. I never really found it practical enough to wear out. MPG's Santal Noble is probably the best & closet thing you can get to good Mysore sandalwood but the new formulation stinks and I've gotten batches of the vintage and they all smell slightly off. Not worth seeking.

Santalum by Profumum is my favorite but it's unlike any sandalwood scent you'll smell. The sandalwood is of the Hawaiian species and it comes off smelling like a spoiled tropical fruit. I like it myself but it's really different.

SL - Santal de Mysore , i can smell it when the bottle is placed in a closed drawer....

Even the affordable Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood, preferably the vintage versions, is stunningly classy and suave

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Even the affordable Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood, preferably the vintage versions, is stunningly classy and suave
    Yes! I really like that one..
    other good quality affordable scents heavy on the sandalwood:
    Yardley's Sandalwood and Adolfo Domínguez Agua de Sándalo (best light sandalwood scent IMHO)

of the ones listed i like best LV Sandalo and if we're talking Creed, i'd prefer Bois de Santal.

My vote goes to Tam Dao, just because no one has voted for that beauty yet.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 10th August 2010 at 07:21 PM.
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Santal Noble or LV Sandalo of the ones you listed.
    And Santal Imperial isn't close behind, it's light but excellent.
    And don't forget Creed's heavier, limited edition Sandalwood, Bois De Santal.

caswell and massey sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    I'd like to add a sandalwood to my wardrobe. I have tried Tam Dao and Creed's offerings - I liked Imperial, but not original. I hear good things about a few others. Please vote for your favorite and let me know why - and if "other", don't hesitate to share!

Thanks!
    Easy: non of the above. Take Your time and find a real Mysore white sandalwood essential oil. Which will cost You a fortune, but You may delute it to a common concentration with some good pure 80° wodka/whiskey.

The frags above try to immitate the real stuff with some effort, but cost the same if not by far more than that. Why pay so much for crap? Real Mysore is a frag in its own, with top notes up to a complex drydown. The whiskey would add some pepper to it, am Armagnac would add fruit, go figure.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Sandalwood Recommendation, Please...

I voted for MpG Santal Noble.

I don't need to smell vintage Santal Noble, the new formulation is amazing. I couldn't imagine it being any better than what I smelled out of the new stuff.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Oddly enough - Wonderwood by cdg

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Oddly enough - Wonderwood by cdg
    Thank you all for your responses so far.

SoGent - your response is most interesting. I say that because I happened to swing by my local Barney's today, and was checking out Wonderwood. I like it a lot - definitely worth sampling a bit more. But I am not getting a sandalwood vibe like the others.

The Art of Shaving Sandalwood is pretty nice.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    Thank you all for your responses so far.

SoGent - your response is most interesting. I say that because I happened to swing by my local Barney's today, and was checking out Wonderwood. I like it a lot - definitely worth sampling a bit more. But I am not getting a sandalwood vibe like the others.
    Possibly your skin type. On me - it's a short flirt of fairly interesting 'wood' then drops straight into sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    The Art of Shaving Sandalwood is pretty nice.
    plus there's a whole matching scented line of shaving creams, after shave balms, etc
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

My vote goes to Tam Dao

Reading this made me realize how long its been since we had a sandalwood thread here. It seems like we used to have this discussion a lot. Have sandalwood threads gone out of style a bit or is it just changing tastes of the board?
    For reference, here is an old 2005 thread that was an attempt to review and discuss all the available sandalwood fragrances:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/171844-Best-Sandalwood

Clearly an outdated thread at this point, but some great information there.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Thanks to you all for suggestions and such. I have been sampling, and enjoying the process. But for the first time, I really have to express disappointment with Creed's Santal Imperial. On the one hand it smells good and relative to other Creeds, seems to be less expensive.

On the other hand, it does not really smell like sandalwood - I am getting a lot of the ambergris and whatever else is considered the "house note." Smells good, just not so sandalwoody. Moreover, it's gone in a a flash. My philosophy is usually to just reapply, but this is nuts!

I forgot to mention a classy old school sandalwood, it's my SotD actually: Sandalwood by Arden for Men, i also believe it's very affordable. It has been reformulated though...but i still like both old and new.

I'm so glad I get to have and wear LV Sandalo, MPG Santal Noble, and Diptyque's Tam Dao. It would be hard to chose between them. I'd choose one or all three of them before I'd choose Santal Imperial though. I don't think that one is really up to the sandalwood task, and I think it stays too light and close to the skin.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Santal - L'Artisan Parfumeur

Mellow, creamy sandalwood with decent sillage and 12+ hours longevity. This is the best i have smelt in my limited exposure. Supposed to be discontinued, but should be available online.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

One vote for another Creed: Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Tam Dao + Egoist

Starting to like LV's Sandalo slightly over MPG's Santal Noble...? Still a Santal Noble fan but started sampling Sandalo and I truely enjoy it!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau