Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any one else only wanna wear your "FAVORITES?"

So, I have a collection of 18 fragrances. Really good fragrances to me, I have tried out everything in Macys and Sephora and everything I own is basically everything I would ever own from what is offered there. What I'm trying to say is I LOVE all my fragrances and It takes a lot for me to buy a bottle, I have to totally love it and be willing to replace it when it's done. However in my collection I hate to say it but, there are RANKS lol it's like a little army!! Hahahaha And pretty much all the fragrances in my top 6 and my signature scent are all the ones I EVER USE. I always say to myself: Yeah bro I'm gonna change it up man, I'm gonna put on something different, tomorrow! But I never do.. My head tells me: "Life is short man, wear your favorites!!!"

Dose anyone else share this problem I like to call the "favorites complex"?
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any one else only wanna wear your "FAVORITES?"

While I certainly have favorites in my modest collection, my decision of what to wear on any given day is influenced mostly by my mood and the weather. I'm also one who enjoys variety and tends to get anosmic to scents I wear too often. As such, I think it's safe to say that the 30 bottles I own get worn fairly equally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    While I certainly have favorites in my modest collection, my decision of what to wear on any given day is influenced mostly by my mood and the weather. I'm also one who enjoys variety and tends to get anosmic to scents I wear too often. As such, I think it's safe to say that the 30 bottles I own get worn fairly equally.
    Same here. Some days, however, are a struggle; I hate to spend money on something and then not use it. Maybe I'm just cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox148 View Post
    So, I have a collection of 18 fragrances. Really good fragrances to me, I have tried out everything in Macys and Sephora and everything I own is basically everything I would ever own from what is offered there. What I'm trying to say is I LOVE all my fragrances and It takes a lot for me to buy a bottle, I have to totally love it and be willing to replace it when it's done. However in my collection I hate to say it but, there are RANKS lol it's like a little army!! Hahahaha And pretty much all the fragrances in my top 6 and my signature scent are all the ones I EVER USE. I always say to myself: Yeah bro I'm gonna change it up man, I'm gonna put on something different, tomorrow! But I never do.. My head tells me: "Life is short man, wear your favorites!!!"

Dose anyone else share this problem I like to call the "favorites complex"?
    Wish I could say I had 18 fragrances in my collection. Can't blame you for sticking with your favorites, however I'm sure others around you can recognize a change in your smell and appreciate that from day to day if you change it up. Whip out that L'Homme Libre the next mild sunny day you're blessed with. Heaven knows how long it will be until the freezing temperatures in Chicago stop coming back to haunt us

While I do tend to fall back on my favorites a little more than the others, I generally approach it more like:

"Lets see... What haven't I worn in a while?"
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

I know what you mean. Especially right when seasons are changing like right now from Winter to Spring, it's hard to know what to wear and I find myself favoring some more than other when I really want to switch it up.

Post Thanks / Like

In a certain way, most, if not all of my fragrances were in certain way favorites of some sort. Thus, I practically alternate/shift between past and present favorites almost anytime I apply a fragrance.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I think of my fragrances as human beings with feelings. If I've gone to long without showing it that I still care for it I know it's feelings will be hurt. I feel so bad about that I wear it just to let it know I still love it. Three times a year is enough to keep them from sliding into depression.

To me it's about what I'm in the mood for on a given day.

Post Thanks / Like

I do try to mix it up, but I also tend to fall back on my 6-8 favs more than I should. I usually try to pick something out the night before that I haven't worn in awhile....only to wake up the next morning saying to myself "nah, I think I'll just stick with good ol' A-B or C today"

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the op, I have a hierarchy in my collection. Certain fragrances no matter how good they smell, won't get worn on special occasions.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I blind buy a lot, so I tend to get fewer hits than misses. I have four categories of fragrances.

1. Tossers: causes physical, literal repulsion. I offer to friends and family first, trash it if nobody else wants. (Only had a couple so far)

2. Scrubbers: don't hate, but don't like and I don't accept mediocrity into the hierarchy of the next two. These I also offer to friend and fam, but if no one else wants I use for bedroom and/or car fresheners.

3. Keepers: love the smell, but fails in the departments of either projection/sillage and/or longevity. This category is never offered to others. They're kept around for lazy days lounging around the house, where I can reapply when necessary.

4. Champions: great smelling, awesome performing and not a one is any more or less beloved or utilized.

Of course there are some in my collection I like more than others, but I try to vary my choices as much as I can. Not easy for me though.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

I am the opposite - it's hard for me to wear the same scent two or more days in a row.

I have favorites, but wear pretty much everything at one time or another.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I don't like or don't think it will be in a regular rotation I prefer to sell it and put that money towards another choice (or swap it). I don't see the point in keeping it around just to say I have it and I usually know after a couple of wears whether it will stay or not. Although it has happened, it is rare that I wear something for a while and then decide it's not for me anymore.