Code of Conduct

Question Recommendations for a good quality typical ARABIC/EASTERN type of men's scent

i like amouage but i am curious about a typical arabic/eastern masculine type of a scent that would be considered classy for a man to wear anywhere from Morroco to India. is there anything that costs less or around $100 for a decent volume, made of top quality ingredients and masterfully blended, and is relatevily easy to find? oud based is fine but not a must, either alcohol or attar.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Recommendations for a good quality typical ARABIC/EASTERN type of men's scent

Deher Eternal by Syed Junaid Alam

Default Re: Recommendations for a good quality typical ARABIC/EASTERN type of men's scent

What about that Lanvin Roses and Oud scent, which is selling for around $30 per 50 ml now? Anyone try it?

Ameer Al Oudh by Lattafa
    It not expensive , but whoooahh !!
    its so rich & nice , incredible long lovely base .

My understanding from our Arabian BNers, who will hopefully chime in, is that good quality oud starts at at least $250 per tola (12ml) and usually more. I have some cheapies that smell good but are clearly synth and in no way comparable to the good stuff (eg Swissarabian mukhallat al shahamah and Mukhallat Malaki, which cost around $30-40).

Alcohol based Arabian perfumes is risky, because it's not the traditional medium.

cacio

A classy Arabian style fragrance made with top quality ingredients and masterfully blended is going to be nigh impossible to find for $100 or less. Neither class nor top quality comes cheap.

If you want to smell like a Saudi man, and probably like most men in the Gulf region, wear a traditional Western perfume without oud, because I smell those much more frequently here than I do Arabian style fragrances. I wear Arabian style fragrances more regularly than nearly all the Saudis I come in contact with.

I think the use of oud is mainly in the Arabian peninsula and eastwards. I know many people from various countries in North Africa, and they tell me that oud is not traditional for them. So an Eastern style fragrance from that region may be very different from an Eastern style fragrance from Saudi or the U.A.E.

Most quality traditional Arabian fragrances are composed of few ingredients, but high quality ingredients. Pure oud, oud mixed with a bit of rose, oud mixed with a bit of saffron and amber, etc. I believe that traditional blending was done in a manner as to allow the innate qualities of the prime ingredients to shine. Any complexity comes from the quality of the ingredients themselves, as opposed to European perfumery which uses many ingredients to achieve complexity.

But that was mainly in the past with the use of natural ingredients. If you want that now, you aren't going to get it for $100! So you have to accept that just about anything you get for that price is going to be synthetic.

I was going to suggest going with one of the Montale products, but remain shocked, even after all these years, that they still cost so much in the U.S. Even on Amazon they are about double what they cost here in Saudi Arabia. I don't place Montale, in general, in the categories you requested, but for the price, it might be the easiest answer.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. You've asked what we in the scientific community refer to as an "ill-posed question."

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne (1985). One of the great animalic rose chypres (leather). The EDT is easily worn by a man and as far as I'm concerned better than something like Black Aoud. Never reformulated and you can get it for less than $50.

Vintage Parfum de Peau (Montana) is another great one. Supposedly a big hit in the Middle East. Both fragrances made by two of the greatest perfumers.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st March 2014 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Deher Eternal by Syed Junaid Alam
    +1. Also try this one

For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

I would have to begin the post by making the somewhat redundant statement that perfumes in the middle east are generally considered unisex; masculine versus feminine scents is largely a western idea.

Noggs made some excellent points. Arabs wear western perfumes more than eastern ones for a variety of reasons. For example the fact that perfumes are largely assigned to fashion and thus a western perfume is more fashionable that eastern attars because western perfumes are more connected to fashion. In addition, alcohol based perfumes are more wearable and very few middle eastern have mastered alcohol based perfumes in my humble opinion. Not to mention, a quality oil is very expensive. The fact that the middle eastern market has too many cheap, bad smelling, oils has increasingly pushed the average consumer away from attars as well as his/her experience with them is usually disappointing....You'd figure for an industry that has been thrieving for centuries in the region we would have better regulations and quality control...but the same ambiguity surrounds perfume in the middle east as it does in the west, and it harms attars more than alcohol perfumes because as Noggs mentioned, attars are more quality dependent.

I can tell you one thing if that helps, Arabs love their perfumes strong and unapologetic.

Anyhow moving on to actual recommendations...

Montale Strong eastern style perfumes, certainly over priced in the US. Montale is by no means a high quality house, but rather a middle of the line House that at least has some form of consistency that I find most middle eastern houses lack (Look at ASAQ for example, they have crappy synthetic oils that cost $20 and some that cost $2000, and the quality is all over the place).

Amouage Certainly an excellent middle eastern house. While their compositions are not eastern in the classical sense, they are not western either. I find Amouage to hit a sweet spot in the middle. They are generally consistent despite their disappointing last few releases. I recommend looking at their non-export attars many of which are cheaper than homage and tribute. Asrar is my personal favorite, cheap but discontinued.

Khaltat A reasonable new house from the UAE. I think their prices are about $100 per bottle. Their creation Ljubovj is an excellent pomegrante woody composition with a high quality middle eastern feel to it. Their Ask is a typical obnoxious middle eastern rose perfume. Their creations are well blended but might be somewhat feminine.

Hind al Oudh Another new house from the UAE with nicely blended perfume.Their Kohl is magnificent but I dont remember the notes. Also about $100-$150 a bottle, but even harder to find abroad that Khaltat.

Syed Junaid Don't really care much for, but affordable and generally well received/more consistent than other middle eastern house I have tried. Don't remember any names though.
    As for cheaper more accessible perfumes, other than the ones mentioned here Angel Schlesser Oriental Edition II is a fantastic gourmand Rose/Saffron that's done in a middle eastern manner. I second the La Nuit recommendation if you think its your kind of scent. Most of Serge Lutens perfumes feel very eastern, even though they are not, they should be what eastern perfumes are like. Other middle eastern houses like Ajmal certainly have very good smelling perfumes/oils that are quiet cheap, I just never manage to remember their names since their good creations rarely get noticed among the vast number of useless creations they make, so I am sorry I can't make recommendations from those houses.

Generally though, the classical middle eastern notes are Rose, Oud, Jasmine, Sandalwood and Saffron. With Rose/Oud being the typical combo. So going with any perfume with these notes will usually yield the effect (Perhaps not Rose since middle eastern style Rose is very different). But if you really want to smell like an Arab just buy the strongest most obnoxious perfume that you like and bathe in it. Other wise you will need to spend good money on either something like an Amouage or an oil
    Last edited by Ekove; 21st March 2014 at 06:50 AM.

M 7 vintage!

I believe Serge Lutens drew inspiration from his time in Morocco.
    It is quite easy to find his fragrances for under $USD100 for 50ml.
    I would suggest:
    - Ambre Sultan
    - Arabie
    - Chergui
    - Fumerie Turque
    - Cuir Mauresque

The Lutens orientals are superb.

Midnight Oud by Juliet Has a Gun could fit the bill. It is available from Amazon for around $100.

As Ekove has mentioned above, I also strongly recommend doing away with gender distinctions when it comes to Middle Eastern style fragrances. In many cases the feminine fragrances are fuller, softer, and more enjoyable to wear than their often relatively harsh and lean masculine counterparts, and some Saudi men I know prefer to wear women's frags in general.
    Last edited by noggs; 21st March 2014 at 11:09 AM.

Sand Aoud by Mancera gives me an Arab vibe. Really nice.

Perhaps you're determined to get something new. If that's not necessarily the case, glimpsing your wardrobe I'm curious as to whether you (and others?) would consider the following as good fits for wear in that region?
    Aramis 900
    APLS
    Balenciaga pH
    Iquitos
    Insense
    3rd Man
    Yatagan
    Declaration
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by yuyu15 View Post
    +1. Also try this one

That looks very interesting, Tuscan Leather but better blended? Have you worn this fragrance? How does it compare as there is not much info on the net. Also, does the house do a nice rose smell ala Noir De Noir as well?

Thanks for the recommendation.

Most definitely Armani Privè Oud Royale...very much so has the Skeletal Arabic middle eastern Vibe to the fullest!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

thanks a lot for the post noggs. i see there are UAE and Bahrein based houses though, whose stuff is priced averagely $50 for a 100ml bottle.... bottles design and packaging looks very appealing to me... i wonder who buys and wears these? i believe there are not popular in the western world at all. do they have a good market there?

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    A classy Arabian style fragrance made with top quality ingredients and masterfully blended is going to be nigh impossible to find for $100 or less. Neither class nor top quality comes cheap.

If you want to smell like a Saudi man, and probably like most men in the Gulf region, wear a traditional Western perfume without oud, because I smell those much more frequently here than I do Arabian style fragrances. I wear Arabian style fragrances more regularly than nearly all the Saudis I come in contact with.

I think the use of oud is mainly in the Arabian peninsula and eastwards. I know many people from various countries in North Africa, and they tell me that oud is not traditional for them. So an Eastern style fragrance from that region may be very different from an Eastern style fragrance from Saudi or the U.A.E.

Most quality traditional Arabian fragrances are composed of few ingredients, but high quality ingredients. Pure oud, oud mixed with a bit of rose, oud mixed with a bit of saffron and amber, etc. I believe that traditional blending was done in a manner as to allow the innate qualities of the prime ingredients to shine. Any complexity comes from the quality of the ingredients themselves, as opposed to European perfumery which uses many ingredients to achieve complexity.

But that was mainly in the past with the use of natural ingredients. If you want that now, you aren't going to get it for $100! So you have to accept that just about anything you get for that price is going to be synthetic.

I was going to suggest going with one of the Montale products, but remain shocked, even after all these years, that they still cost so much in the U.S. Even on Amazon they are about double what they cost here in Saudi Arabia. I don't place Montale, in general, in the categories you requested, but for the price, it might be the easiest answer.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. You've asked what we in the scientific community refer to as an "ill-posed question."
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Pal Zileri Collezione Privata Viaggio d'Africa can be had for less then $50. It has a dry eastern spice type smell, some freshness to make it easier to wear in the warmer months, and has a nutty tonka vetiver accord which smells very similar to Hermes Vetiver Tonka. Great fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Ameer Al Oudh by Lattafa
    It not expensive , but whoooahh !!
    its so rich & nice , incredible long lovely base .
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Most definitely Armani Privè Oud Royale...very much so has the Skeletal Arabic middle eastern Vibe to the fullest!
    +1

Try Furyo by Jacques Bogart - I'm of Indian origin & whenever I wear it & come across anyone of Indian origin theyccomment that the smell is great - to most, Furyo comes out as a combo of incense, sandalwood & florals they are used to on a daily basis in India.

Strongly recommend trying this under the radar masterpiece - as well, read the wonderful review from ericrico on this for a complete breakdown of notes etc.

Other than this, I'd recommend Zahd & Kilian Incense Oud.

Basenotes Plus

[B]24 GOLD The Fragrance Jack Bauer by ScentStory OUD EDITION[B]

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26141042.html

You can find at universalperfumesandcosmetics dot com
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ScentedBlood View Post
    Sand Aoud by Mancera gives me an Arab vibe. Really nice.
    As well as their Aoud Sandroses
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    As well as their Aoud Sandroses
    Which is more Arabesque in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by ScentedBlood View Post
    Which is more Arabesque in your opinion?
    Aoud Sandroses is more traditional and typical smelling than Sand Aoud.

I own both. I've received compliments from Saudi guys when I've worn Aoud Sandroses. It's immediately recognizable as an "Arabian" fragrance.

Aoud Sandroses is good. It's relatively light as compared with other oud and rose blends, but those unused to these kinds of fragrances may think that it is pretty strong. There's a good balance between the rose and oud. It's not sweet, but rather dry, fresh and airy.

The only question I have about is with the base. Many of the Montale/Mancera type frags have a woody (cedar) based drydown. I also own Blue Aoud and Aoud Violet, both recent Manceras, and they have that, although they are different. Aoud Sandroses has no drydown which sets it apart from the early phases. It seems more or less linear to me, just oud and rose for a long time, which gradually fades. I'm still trying to figure out the base, if there is one. Maybe it's just particularly subtle. In any case, I enjoy wearing it.

Aoud Violet is also good. I like violet fragrances, and violet shows a bit different character when mixed with oud. The soft, woody, cedar tinged base makes a nice followup to the give and take between the oud and violet. But it's not nearly as traditional as Aoud Sandroses.
    Last edited by noggs; 21st March 2014 at 06:39 PM.

I don't really think that oud smells "arabic", plus it's trendy and boring. I would use some Lutens or some Parfum d'Empire, or Grossmith.
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 22nd March 2014 at 08:13 AM.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Knize - Knize Ten Golden Edition
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme I (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Since my first post to this thread, I have sampled the Lanvin Roses and Oud scent. I haven't been an oud fan up to now (and I have some vintage M7, which is more of a vetiver scent to me), but I really enjoyed the Lanvin. It's more "masculine" than "feminine" and the wood is reminiscent of wormwood, at least for a while (either that or the decanting I was doing that day led to the strange perception, though I could still smell the Lanvin much later). I also took Dimitrios' advice and ordered the Ameer Al Oudh, so I'll update here about it if I remember.

Oh I totally forgot to mention...arabs loooove the tom ford line. Black Afgano was highly sought at one point as well.

I'll second Ameer Al Oudh by Lattafa & Rasikh. Own both and are very nice and smell more expensive than they are
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh