Code of Conduct

Default For every 20 fragrances that you sample...

On average, for every 20 fragrances that you sample, how many do you like so much that you purchase a bottle?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: For every 20 fragrances that you sample...

of the 20 sampled scents, i buy the 20 bottles.
    I'm a collector, so i buy the bottles, whether i like the scent or not.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 10th August 2010 at 07:58 PM.

Currently, about 1 in 20 or 1 in 30.

1 in 5, obviously I can't afford that, so I just add to my list. In average I can afford 1 in 15 or so. The thing is, since I got my nose more trained and my knowledge more expanded, I'm sampling the "better" perfumes and appreciating them more. When I first started I rarely found something I liked and it was much easier.

zero.

Honestly the ratio for me must be somewhere between 1/90 - 1/120, as I've smelled thousands upon thousands of scents, yet only own 40.

Probably about 1 in 30. Hard to tell though.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I don´t sample much, I blind buy the bottle directly. So 18/20.

Pot luck with me. Out of 14 samples I tried last week, I purchased two full bottles. Out of 29 I received last month, I purchased none. I've lost count of how many samples I've tried and the ratio between sampling and buying for me is low, possibly 1 in 25 - 1 in 30 on average.

Something like 1 in 30. I dislike a lot more than I like.

Averagely, 1-5 bought if 20-30 sampled

Off-Scenter

On the evidence of my wardrobe, including both current and "once-owned" full bottles, it looks like I've bought about two full bottles per twenty scents tested over time. What I've retained in my collection is more like one full bottle for every twenty tested.

I would say one for every 20 or 30.....Sometimes it's zero.....Now if I lived in a major city that number would change.....I live in one of the large cities in Ohio.....There are not alot of quality places to shop for fragrance.....The malls are the main places to shop and most of the malls are well.....boring.....If I lived in New York, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, Paris, London.....this number would be very different!!!
    For those who live in these Great shopping cities.....Consider yourselves blessed!!!
    Gary

I really only sample things I think I may really like to begin with, so the percentage is fairly high. My tastes are pretty narrow, so I don't sniff around as much as I did when I first started here.

DeepSilence

5 or 6

Blog Entries

Just enough to "like it" or "a decant of this wouldn't be too bad of an idea". Full bottle worthy? Not very often at all, especially since I can fit my wardrobe in my sig and never have a "top 10" list of my collection, ever.

Basenotes Plus

Zer0. I'm not really into full bottles unless the scent blew me away completely. Ratio of FB purchase to samples is closer to 1 in 50 at least.

Interesting question. Lately, it's been probably 1/30 or fewer, but sometimes when I find a particular house that resonates with me and I get a lot of samples from them at the same time, I might wind up buying maybe 3/5.

Depends with me, if I like it and come across it for a really good deal on here or ebay probably one in ten. Something that absolutely blows me away and I'm willing to go out and pay full price for? Probably about one in forty honestly.

Blog Entries

I'm weird - I'll sample anything, whether I expect to hate it or not, but the ones I fall in love with and buy are almost always the ones I knew I loved from first sniff, so my numbers are spectacularly skewed. At this point, I've probably sampled about 600 scents, not including stuff smelled repeatedly at stores, and since I've started sampling before buying, I've only bought 10 or so bottles, so I guess I'm around 1 in 60...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Almost everything I take the time to sample (which isn't very often) I buy. Normally I blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    On average, for every 20 fragrances that you sample, how many do you like so much that you purchase a bottle?
    What about you, Rosehavn?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Perhaps 1 or 2 of 15 samples are FBW to me.
    Interesting question !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    + 1.

Please participate in threads like this. It is part of being in the community.

about 1/40. I keep a "base set" of stuff that i will never be without. and i will buy 1 out of 40 after that.

Blog Entries

In temrs of serious testing? i probably buy 1/2 or 1/3 fragrances i test. For the most part i casually sample so maybe 1/20 lol. I'm cutting way down on buying since i'm very happy with my current fragrances

Less than one I guesstimate.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I have probably sampled about 100-120 different niche fragrances at this point. I have bought 4 bottles and some decants. So, I would say I am about 1/30 for bottles. The bottles I have bought after all this sampling are (in order of purchase):

1) New York by Parfums de Nicolai

2) Bois Blond by Parfum Generale

3) Anvers 2 by Ulrich Lang

4) Avignon by CDG
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Looking at my wardrobe it would suggest about one in five but the true ratio is much wider as many were bought blind or were gifts, so of the ones I've sampled I've gone on to buy one in thirty.
    Three things about this.
    1; being relatively inexperienced I find I have to really live with a scent for a long time, I can like it but do I really love it, if I love it I'll buy a second bottle.
    2; some of them have been bought on reviews as reference scents, Le Troisiemme Homme and Cuiron for example.
    3; the quality of samples, almost exclusively the samples I have payed for have come from Lucky Scent and the Perfumed Court, yet there have been discrepancies between samples and full bottles. For example the 5ml decant of L'eau de Navagateur while very nice, wasn't bottle worthy in my eyes, my brother loved it and bought a bottle and what a difference; stronger coffee note, better tobacco, leather and longevity. So now I've bought a bottle of my own. It does make me wonder about Eau des Isles, Bois du Turquie and Bois de Portugal, rejected after sampling but.........

About 1/100 for me. I'm hard to please.

2/20 if I choose what to sample, 1/20 for random stuff.

Hillaire

This depends on the house I am sampling, so it's hard to say.

For example, recently, out of 20 Montales, 30 Xerjoff, 3 C&S, 8 Micallefs, & 10 Mazzolaris, I found zero FBW.

But of ten HdPs, I found five FBW.

And I decided to pretty much flesh out the PdN and Amouage range.
    I'd guess it averages out to about one out of every thirty.

I've purchased bottles that I sampled at one time, but I never sampled a frag then decided to buy it soon thereafter. Instead, I waited until i got a good deal, though mostly I've swapped for frags that I had previously sampled. And almost all the time, I did the swap to get rid of something I really didn't like rather than because I felt I really had to have a full bottle of the one sampled.

Since my budget doesn't currently allow purchases, I'm not testing much, either.

But in my "busy days" I would have got 1-5 full bottles out of 20 samples, depending on the quality of the batch.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Out of 20...
    15 completely revolt me
    3 are good
    1 is very nice
    1 is amazing

I will then test another 20 to find that other "amazing" fragrance. Then compare them to each other, and perhaps decide to buy the winner if the need for it arises.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Zer0. I'm not really into full bottles unless the scent blew me away completely. Ratio of FB purchase to samples is closer to 1 in 50 at least.
    This.

I sample 20 fragrances, then end up blind buying a completely different fragrance because I run into a good deal or win an eBay auction. Inevitably, I will then end up liking the blind bought fragrance less than one of the fragrances I sampled, thus somewhat regretting my blind buy.

Out of the 70 fragrances I did actually sample I've retained 5 full bottles (Not counting the full bottles I offloaded or plan to offload). That comes down to about 1.4 bottles bought (and liked enough to keep) per 20 fragrances sampled.
    Looking for: Creed caps

probably 1 or 2 at best.

I would say around 1 in 20 is about right. However that said I buy more frequently from niche houses as compared to designer houses where I reckon the rate is more like 1 in 50 or 1 in 60.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Of what I keep long-term, roughly 1 in 50.

Relatively new to pickiing frags.

Last testing session took three hours 30+ trials to find 2 that were passable.

Bought one fragrance,try to limit testing expeditions to once a week.

It's really easy to buy stuff on impulse and I discover on reflection that I don't actually like it.

Think A* Men is probably next.

Ho-hum

I probably buy 1/80 fragrances I sample. I only buy 4 or 5 star frags..

Quote Originally Posted by mill4r4 View Post
    Relatively new to pickiing frags.

Last testing session took three hours 30+ trials to find 2 that were passable.

Bought one fragrance,try to limit testing expeditions to once a week.

It's really easy to buy stuff on impulse and I discover on reflection that I don't actually like it.

Think A* Men is probably next.

Ho-hum
    I think A-Men Pure Malt is better, as do several other BNers. You may want to wait until it is re-released in the Autumn, if you haven't sampled it.

But if I get A*Men now I can get the pure malt in the Autumn/Fall.

Then I would have both (mine all mine!!!)

Hurrah!

p.s. You're really funny, in a good way

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I really only sample things I think I may really like to begin with, so the percentage is fairly high. My tastes are pretty narrow, so I don't sniff around as much as I did when I first started here.
    I take a very similar approach....I do a little research before hand and come up with a "plan of attack" rather than just sample tons and tons. That being said, if I see one mentioned on here that I may not have originally considered, I may check it out just to be more in the know.