Code of Conduct

Default Original (vintage) Femme by Rochas - will I like it?

Hi ladies!

On my shelf there is a bottle of Original Femme. The only problem is that is in mint condition and still sealed inside plastic and box. I donīt want to open it if isnīt to my liking...

I have read almost only good things about it but the truth is that I donīt like (any of) Edmond Roudnitskaīs work: not Eau Savage, Diorella, Eau dīHermes or Le Parfum de Thérčse. I have heard that it has something in common with Feminité du Bois and I donīt care for that either, and not the current version of Femme. One could think I despice cumin, but I like Kingdom and love Poivre Samarcande.

Things I DO like: Mitsouko EdC, Vol de Nuit, Dioressence, No 19, Derby, Parure... I also like a lot of leathers - Chanel Cuir de Russie, Tabac Blond, Ambre Russe. I donīt like dry leathers like Tuscan Leather and Cuir Mauresque.

So - ladies - based on my love and donīt-like rantings above; will I like this one or is it to be swapped away. Love the box though.
    Last edited by pelle; 10th August 2010 at 09:14 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Original (vintage) Femme by Rochas - will I like it?

I have tried vintage Femme parfum, thanks to Suga....

It's lovely rich deep tenacious peachy - if you love Mitsouko you will probably love vintage Femme. It's very strong , old wordly . Good luck with your decision .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 10th August 2010 at 10:03 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Hard to say if you will like it or not...why donīt you fall for the temptation, and open it? Only way to find out, no?

Personally I donīt like it; very strong, and smelling like an overload of rottening plums, imho.

Open it!!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I say you will probably like if not love it. It has a similar feel to vintage Mitsi with plum substituted for the peach and an unbelievably tenacious rough, worn-saddle leather accord running through it not too far removed from Tabac Blond. There's also a dusty attic feel to it. It's NOT in the same vein as REL, Cuir Maresque, Knize Ten or Etro Gomma if that helps at all. Also, if you have smelt Santa Maria Novella's Peau d'Espagne, then you have an idea on what it smells like; they are VERY similar.

Basenotes Institution

Scent- you write so eloquently. Funny how I get peach with vintage Femme and not plum- it must be subliminal thoughts of Mitsouko . I don't get plum at all - only a familiarity with it because of vintage Mitsy .

Oh merci mon cheri I haven't worn or even smelt Femme in a long time; I'll have to revisit it tomorrow and search for that peach. I guess the main difference between Femme and Mitsouko is that Mitsouko kind of glamifies the peach with aldehydes and citric topnotes, whereas Femme kind of does a peach (or plum, who knows?! ) reduction with its; concentrated, ink-like and almost tarry. I think I get plum is because I associate vintage Femme with vintage AdP Profumo. They both share a dusty, plummy, mossy finish. Ok, I'm making too many connections to Femme but this is my last I swear , Patou's long gone Que Sais Je? also bears a resemblance but is spicier with distinct notes of cloves and cinnamon. Hell, I have to revisit chypres in general! It's been ages! I've been obsessed with...GASP...watery florals!!! I know, I know...what is happening to me! LoL!

I have Femme in both the vintage and 1989 versions. They're not that alike, but if you don't like the one you probably won't like the other. Vintage Femme shares the heavily animalic base of perfumes of that period, but i don't find it leathery. It's decadent in the original meaning of the word (redolent of decay) and definitely for the mature female.

Knowing the other chypres you like? Yes! I think vintage Femme is great, perhaps its nearest relatives are L'Arte di Gucci and Parure rather than Roudnitska's others. It opens a little odd ( kind of waxy to my nose ), but give it time and blooms beautifully. I love it!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rednails View Post
    I have Femme in both the vintage and 1989 versions. They're not that alike, but if you don't like the one you probably won't like the other. Vintage Femme shares the heavily animalic base of perfumes of that period, but i don't find it leathery. It's decadent in the original meaning of the word (redolent of decay) and definitely for the mature female.
    I don't get any leather either .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post

On my shelf there is a bottle of Original Femme. The only problem is that is in mint condition and still sealed inside plastic and box. I donīt want to open it if isnīt to my liking...

I have read almost only good things about it but the truth is that I donīt like (any of) Edmond Roudnitskaīs work: not Eau Savage, Diorella, Eau dīHermes or Le Parfum de Thérčse. I have heard that it has something in common with Feminité du Bois and I donīt care for that either, and not the current version of Femme. One could think I despice cumin, but I like Kingdom and love Poivre Samarcande.

Things I DO like: Mitsouko EdC, Vol de Nuit, Dioressence, No 19, Derby, Parure... I also like a lot of leathers - Chanel Cuir de Russie, Tabac Blond, Ambre Russe. I donīt like dry leathers like Tuscan Leather and Cuir Mauresque.
    If you love these, you will love the old version of Femme! Open & enjoy! It has the glorious oakmoss of old and there is no substitute for that. It doesn't have the cumin overload of the new version of Femme. Try it, you'll like it!

My first thought was that if you like Mitsouko you may very well like them Femme. If it's not to your liking I am sure like 100 basenoters would offer to take it off your hands even if it has just been opened to test it.

Thank you very much for your help!

About the Mitsouko peach - I like my old EdC because it is less "glammy" and bright, and if there is a peach note that is dark and brooding it sounds fine.

Plum - the only fragrance I have with plum listed is Parure and that is love. I have a hard time though picking out the *plum*...

If it is truly old-wordly I it a good sign. I love those Caron Urn perfumes, old Guerlains etc. Decadent I like - "for a mature woman" well that is a problem, me being a immature guy... But I do love the contrast that appears when wearing something "wrong"!

About the (non?) existing leather - it is good to hear it is far from also REL, Knize Ten and Gomma. Too bad I donīt like Peau d'Espagne that much either...

Anyone want to swap samples? Almost everything in my wardobe can be decanted.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

For me vintage Femme( I started wearing in the 70s, to for me this is Femme. Not the cumin 1989 and after horror).

I get stewed prunes with leather. I really loved Parfum de Theresa as it has a lot in common with the vintage Femme. I was lucky to get a parfum de toilet of pre 1989 Femme and the similarity is there. But did buy Therese as in there I did get vintage Femme.

To be honest I do not get the Mitsouko link both are different as Mitsouko does not have the leather note.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I say you will probably like if not love it. It has a similar feel to vintage Mitsi with plum substituted for the peach and an unbelievably tenacious rough, worn-saddle leather accord running through it not too far removed from Tabac Blond. There's also a dusty attic feel to it. It's NOT in the same vein as REL, Cuir Maresque, Knize Ten or Etro Gomma if that helps at all. Also, if you have smelt Santa Maria Novella's Peau d'Espagne, then you have an idea on what it smells like; they are VERY similar.
    I have the same impression. To me, Rochas Femme vintage is vintage Mitsouko with plum, and more sensual than dark.

I have no idea if YOU will like it - I got my bottle of Femme Extrait vintage yesterday and since I nearly die to smell more and more and more of this . Before I write an ode here - perhaps you will like to read my blurb on my Blog - a translation button is there to switch it into English language.
    The perfume is feminine and seductive, juicy and nasty in one !
    Try it - for what is the old juice good if not to enjoy and seduce... ;-))
    kind regards,
    La Tanguera
    http://duftreise.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Does anyone know if Rochas Femme in the white with black lace box (with a creme top) is worth buying?

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

The ones I have seen in stores have a black or gold top, so no idea about the cream?
    DONNA

It wasn't my cup of tea and ended up giving it away, but if you like Mitsouko you will most likely enjoy vintage Femme

I just received a sample of Femme Vintage Partum. I must admit that I was enchanted by the wonderful reviews in the descriptions - complex with peach and plum... I neary bought it blind I was so betwitched. Glad I didn't! I am simply overwhelmed by "old". I have only had it on about an hour - maybe it will reveal something wonderful later - but I am doubtful.