Code of Conduct

Default Don't Try Vintage Tabarome

It's so good it might ruin you on other fragrances. And because it's no longer made, the pain will be even greater when it's completely gone.

It starts off smelling a little bit like one of those liquid Ginseng shots that comes in a small glass vial, but then develops into something like that scene in "Perfume".

The other Creeds are like quaint little scented water sprayers compared to this stuff.

Default Re: Don't Try Vintage Tabarome

I don't know about all that LOL.
    They will bring it back eventually. It could be the best "old guy" scent ever created. And I see the "retroscentual" trend only growing in the mainstream perfumery world. Qualitatively, I give it 5 stars, and I own 3/5 of an atomizer full, not that I'll ever wear it though, it just doesn't fit today. Sure fits the perception of royalty from the time period in that clip though, like alot of the older Creeds and some Maitre Parfumeur et Gantiers.

Thought it was a good scent but terribly outdated. It should be discontinued. As much as I like certain classic scents, they just seem unsuited to wear now. Times change, perfumes change.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 11th August 2010 at 08:05 AM.

Fuck the times. VT is eternal. It will never be REALLY discontinued. Anyways, I have enough reserves to tide me over for many years to come I'll wear it tonight.

I find it neither here nor there. It's alright - it neither moves nor displeases, though it can be oddly chlorine-like in its top notes.

No tears, no ruination.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Vintage Tabarome is good and deserves all the respect. But imo never to the detriment of other good fragrances. You may love your porterhouse steak, but you don't want to live on steak alone, do you?

Btw 'Perfume-The story of a murderer' is heckuva enjoyable, even more so for fragheads like us!
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 11th August 2010 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Fuck the times. VT is eternal

Amen to that brother!

It is a pretty classy scent, isn't it.

Classy, definitely, but I have absolutely no desire to wear it, it just doesn't resonate with my personality at all (and I did approach it with appropriate reverence, really trying to love it).

after wearing this in hot, humid beach weather, I've decided this is definitely a cold weather frag. it turns kind of "sour" with too much heat and sweat.

but in a cold, dry environment (late fall and winter), there isn't anything better.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    'Perfume-The story of a murderer' is heckuva enjoyable, even more so for fragheads like us!
    Anybody here with more than about 100 should get a copy and read for sure. Amazing book if you're a fume head.

Never worn it above 85 degrees or so; it does strike me as more cold weather wear. I'm not so sure about the crack cocaine effect. You won't get immediately hooked, but there's a good chance it will grow on you.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    after wearing this in hot, humid beach weather, I've decided this is definitely a cold weather frag.
    That's a categorical!

My opinion of VT is necessarily humble. I only had a sample (from Parfums Raffy), more than five years ago, and honestly I didn't finish it... the thing just smelled bad to me. Dusty, musty, crusty and rusty (-:.

That so many noses better than mine admire this make me think I may have missed something.

Ironically, Tabarome M. was and is one of my favorite Creeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    My opinion of VT is necessarily humble. I only had a sample (from Parfums Raffy), more than five years ago, and honestly I didn't finish it... the thing just smelled bad to me. Dusty, musty, crusty and rusty (-:.

That so many noses better than mine admire this make me think I may have missed something.

Ironically, Tabarome M. was and is one of my favorite Creeds.
    That was my experience from a small test a couple of years before I got in here. It took retrying it to really appreciate it.

But it is unquestionably an old style scent for sure. Tabarome Millesime I like a lot. I think it suffers a lot from trying to carry the "Tabarome" name. To many, it's not as good as Vintage Tabarome, but it's still a very fine scent.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 12th August 2010 at 02:10 AM.

I've liked it in the summertime. The longevity is fantastic and it opens beautifully during an evening's baseball game. Seems musky then, and such a beautiful smell of the color blue.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

VT is a good scent, and it depicts the smell of real pipe tobacco better than any other scent I've smelled, but I still think it's overrated. It's a pleasant, warm, comfy scent, but that's all IMO.

I traded my bottle with another Basenoter a few months ago for a bottle of Parfum d'Habit, and I have no regrets! I'm enjoying the Parfum d'Habit a lot more than I did my Tabarome. My bottle of VT was just sitting in my dresser drawer, I hardly ever wore it.

VT is a very unique scent in that I only feel right wearing for a certain occasion with a certain outfit and certain character.
    When that time comes, it is pretty much priceless.
    I would not wear it everyday, as I would imagine it to turn off a lot of people.
    One of the best fragrances I have encountered
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

One of my favs ever. At first it smelled similar to aramis but after a while i realized this was a gem and had to get a bottle. I am happy i got samples to fall back on as well one of my favs, i could see this being a signiture scent but since it is so limited i think it is only good in a suit and tie on formal, professional and serious occasions. Great fragrance for sure tied for #1 with bois du portugal. So sad this it is so difficult to obtain and it is no longer made.