Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Creed Royal Warrants

On the Creed website Blog, they show a Royal Warrant from the Queen of Spain appointed Creed and Sons as official perfumers. These historical documents are quite fascinating. I understand they have a collection of such documents at the Boutique. It would be wonderful to see them in person.

Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

I concur

and I find it SO coincidental that the Creed-haters who doubt the company's history are deafeningly silent.

As CREED celebrates its 250th year, a review of its archives reveals letters and orders from royalty, statesmen, First Ladies, champion athletes, world famous artists, legendary business chiefs, headliners and other VIPs. Among these treasures are CREED’s Royal Warrants of Appointment, papers issued by kings or queens when they named CREED their official fragrance supplier. An example is CREED’s royal warrant from Queen Maria Cristina of Spain, the great niece of Marie Antoinette of France.

Queen Maria Cristina aspired to make a style statement like her famous French relative (but without sparking a revolution). The Spanish queen appointed CREED her perfumer on June 25, 1885, knowing that CREED, then more than 100 years old, was a choice at once elegant and popular across Europe.

Two of CREED’s creations for Maria Cristina are still available to our clients today. Vanisia, a blend of vanilla, rose, sandalwood and jasmine, is a true accoutrement of monarchy. CREED’s Royal Delight is an endearing blend of tangerine, bergamot, jasmine, violet and leather
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 11th August 2010 at 02:11 AM.

Quite a few BNers have visited the boutique in the past month and posted their account here but no mention of the warrants on display.

Kevin/Ruggles, you live in the area - any luck spotting these at the boutique ?
    -

Oh yeah, I agree. We are the few who could further appreciate those documents because of our hobby. Of course some would appreciate them simply for the age and history.

The Queen of Spain warrant is a new one on display.

And that Royal Delight is from the vault.

I dont believe anyone knew about this.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    I concur

and I find it SO coincidental that the Creed-haters who doubt the company's history are deafeningly silent.
    Perhaps a picture is worth a thousand words?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    Perhaps a picture is worth a thousand words?
    It's forged. What now?! HUH?!?!?

IMO, anyone who factors in history to their fragrance purchases is fooling themselves.
    A rich, authentic history, or a false, imagined history, makes zero difference as to the batch of any particular scent one is consuming in 2010. These may have some great value for historians and such, and may help greatly with brand identity and brand image, but all CREED needs to do to keep my business is manufacture incredible scents of a higher caliber taste than all comp. And they seem to do that very well.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    It's forged. What now?! HUH?!?!?
    HAHAHA...right! What else can be said.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    IMO, anyone who factors in history to their fragrance purchases is fooling themselves.
    A rich, authentic history, or a false, imagined history, makes zero difference as to the batch of any particular scent one is consuming in 2010. These may have some great value for historians and such, and may help greatly with brand identity and brand image, but all CREED needs to do to keep my business is manufacture incredible scents of a higher caliber taste than all comp. And they seem to do that very well.
    I agree. Penhaligons has British warrants stuck up their a** and in their shops but their stuff is some of the most mediocre in the industry and they now have a tiny fanbase (90% of which is on Badger&Blade).
    -

Blog Entries

I'm glad that Creed put this up. However, I really wish the resolution was higher. I would love to translate the fine print in the upper left-hand corner, and see if there is any language mentioning perfume or supporting its inclusion in supplied goods. The nail in the coffin of the doubters is a warrant where the warrant itself or the supporting documentation mentions fragrance. It's that simple. The last argument of doubt is that the warrants were not for fragrance. The language of the fine print could settle that.

If somebody could hit this thing with some higher resolution in a digital photo, perhaps if they see it in the boutique, I would be much obliged.

Still - nice.

PS - Creed could obviously just open up their books and whatnot and be done with it. But why go on the defensive? I think they've done a nice job of turning a potential marketing crisis into a marketing bonanza by dripping the faucet the way they have.

PPS - what DULLAH said.

Very interesting, though I agree completely with the comments made by previous posters that the quality of the fragrances matters more than their history.

When I first tried one or two of Creed's fragrances, well before discovering any online fragrance resources, I had no knowledge whatsoever of the company's history, and had simply read the name on a list of products that someone had deemed worth trying.

All the same, is anyone able to translate any of the legible text?
    Last edited by StewartGallacher; 11th August 2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Edit

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    A rich, authentic history, or a false, imagined history, makes zero difference as to the batch of any particular scent one is consuming in 2010. .
    of course not. i wouldn't care if Creed was founded in 1987.

but i constantly see people who claim that Creed lies about their heritage... until there's proof like this, then they are awwwful quiet.

This is a great article on Creed compared to Farina:

http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...-pasts-of.html

For the record, Creed got their start as British tailors.

Also look at the marketing approaches of Rance (see Luca Turin's blog) and also D'Orsay (see Nigel Groom "Perfume Handbook" and Ken Leach "Perfume Presentations").
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th August 2010 at 02:34 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I agree. Penhaligons has British warrants stuck up their a** and in their shops but their stuff is some of the most mediocre in the industry and they now have a tiny fanbase (90% of which is on Badger&Blade).
    That made me laugh ! *LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Creed Royal Warrants

Man, I like a lot of Creeds, but Penhaligons has some amazing stuff too. Some are more barbershoppish (thus the badger and blade fan club) but some of their scents really are top notch. No matter who warrants their stuff, I like them both.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Many of the Penhaligon's fragrances have their admirers at Basenotes, demonstrated by numerous threads with ample praise.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

but i constantly see people who claim that Creed lies about their heritage... until there's proof like this, then they are awwwful quiet.
    One of the concerns is whether Creed was in the public marketplace during the time claimed. For example, one can find evidence of Guerlain in the marketplace before 1960, evidenced by ads and antique bottles. Are there antique Creed bottles dating before 1960? I don't recollect ever seeing them, nor do I recollect a thread in which they have been documented. I am not saying they don't exist; just wonder where they are.

When one reads the description of Creed Vetiver at the Creed Boutique USA website (see: http://www.creedboutique.com/creed-p...e-vetiver.html) one reads:

CREED Vetiver appeared in the U.S. when a new generation of Americans returning home from World War II showed the nation a continental style it had not seen before.

So where did they buy it? I am not saying they didn't buy it, but where?

Sorry to be late to the party. The Creed Hater's secret lair in Antarctica is having trouble getting our Joop! cannon to function properly so we've been busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'm glad that Creed put this up. However, I really wish the resolution was higher. I would love to translate the fine print in the upper left-hand corner, and see if there is any language mentioning perfume or supporting its inclusion in supplied goods. The nail in the coffin of the doubters is a warrant where the warrant itself or the supporting documentation mentions fragrance. It's that simple. The last argument of doubt is that the warrants were not for fragrance.
    Yup, that would be perfect and the only thing they would need to do. That's the problem with the other Creed warrant's I've seen floating around, they are all for the Creed family's services as tailors and not perfume/toiletries. The Creeds are famous tailors and habit makers but I've never seen anything that documented they were also perfumers.

Good. http://www.abc-d.fr/f1 /cxqyLFR_P913550!_496/profil_245773_88.html =X
    (it's one of their incarnations, they seem to occasionally restructure and some of the info looks fishy, I just thought the coincidence was amusing)

Blog Entries

So where did they buy it? I am not saying they didn't buy it, but where?
    Creed HQ. It's down a dark alley, you'll meet a guy in a poncho named Hank, he'll take you there

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    One of the concerns is whether Creed was in the public marketplace during the time claimed. For example, one can find evidence of Guerlain in the marketplace before 1960, evidenced by ads and antique bottles. Are there antique Creed bottles dating before 1960? I don't recollect ever seeing them, nor do I recollect a thread in which they have been documented. I am not saying they don't exist; just wonder where they are.
    Creed were bespoke perfumers at that time - infact, it is still their most lucrative business. You could always walk into the boutique and buy some juice. The distribution channels weren't as vast at that time.

Similarly, Guerlain have been issued a couple of warrants themselves..http://www.perfumeprojects.com/museu...Guerlain.shtml

Has anyone seen their warrants? I haven't seen any on display at any Guerlain boutique in the US. Are they at the Guerlain HQ? Or on their website? I really can't believe that Guerlain were perfumers to any royal court unless I either see a high-def scan of their warrant(s) or one on display in person, perfectly translated into english word by word...until that happens I can't enjoy any of their fragrances either...
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post

Yup, that would be perfect and the only thing they would need to do. That's the problem with the other Creed warrant's I've seen floating around, they are all for the Creed family's services as tailors and not perfume/toiletries. The Creeds are famous tailors and habit makers but I've never seen anything that documented they were also perfumers.
    They started off as tailors. Perfumes didn't become a line of business until 1854.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This is a great article on Creed compared to Farina:

For the record, Creed got their start as British tailors.

Also look at the marketing approaches of Rance (see Luca Turin's blog) and also D'Orsay (see Nigel Groom "Perfume Handbook" and Ken Leach "Perfume Presentations").
    Did anyone actually go into this link at all and read it? It's from the_good_life, a revered Basenoter and fragrance historian.

I know that Guerlain has many fans and King Juan Carlos of Spain is credited (according to Luca Turin) as partially responsible for the wide re-release of Mouchoir de Monsieur.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th August 2010 at 05:58 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Creed were bespoke perfumers at that time - infact, it is still their most lucrative business. You could always walk into the boutique and buy some juice. The distribution channels weren't as vast at that time.
    Is it safe to say that all Creed fragrances before "year X" (zztopp or someone else will have to fill in) were bespoke? Or were some made for general purchase? And if there were both, do we know which were for general purchase (prior to modern distribution chanels, that is)?

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I know that Guerlain has many fans and King Juan Carlos of Spain is credited (according to Luca Turin) as partially responsible for the wide re-release of Mouchoir de Monsieur.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html
    Proof.

We need cold hard proof.

Actual documents and quotes.

Let's hold all guilty parties to the same strict evaluation standards.

This is the Spanish inquisition (pun intended)..
    -

the_good_life's blog is awesome.

I can't manage to make out much from the warrant but on line 3 of the smaller text there is "Sastre" (tailor) in bold print.

I don't really speak Spanish at all, but I had some free time so I tried to decipher as much of the image as I could and then translate it with the help of Google. I hope someone else with more expertise in the language or better eyes can fill in the blanks or fix any mistakes! I don't see anything that specifically refers to perfume, but perhaps it is there in some of the stuff I missed.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Intendencia General de la Real Casa y Patrimonio
    S.M. La Reina Dona Maria Christina

Atendiendo a la ____ por el Sr. Henry Creed & Sons,
    se ha dignate por Real ____ de esta ____ ____ los honoros del
    ____ de su Real Casa y el uso del escudo de Armas Reales en la ____, ____ y etiquetos del establecimiente de sastre que tiene en la cuidad de Londres.
    Y en cumplimiente de la mandate por ____ el presente
    que firmo en el Real Palacio de Madrid a 25 de Junio de 1885.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Quartermaster General of the Royal Family
    S.M. Queen Maria Christina

Given the ____ by Mr. Henry Creed & Sons, has deign by Royal ____ ____ ____ this ____ honors of his Royal House and the use of the royal coat of arms in the ____, ____ and labels of the establishment of tailor which is in the city of London.
    And in pursuance of this mandate by ____ who signed in the Royal Palace in Madrid June 25, 1885.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

There is also an image of their warrant from Queen Victoria on their blog site, although I found it hidden in a comment to a post. It is more legible and more specifically refers to Creed's services as tailor and habit maker.

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    I don't really speak Spanish at all, but I had some free time so I tried to decipher as much of the image as I could and then translate it with the help of Google. I hope someone else with more expertise in the language or better eyes can fill in the blanks or fix any mistakes! I don't see anything that specifically refers to perfume, but perhaps it is there in some of the stuff I missed.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Intendencia General de la Real Casa y Patrimonio
    S.M. La Reina Dona Maria Christina

Atendiendo a la ____ por el Sr. Henry Creed & Sons,
    se ha dignate por Real ____ de esta ____ ____ los honoros del
    ____ de su Real Casa y el uso del escudo de Armas Reales en la ____, ____ y etiquetos del establecimiente de sastre que tiene en la cuidad de Londres.
    Y en cumplimiente de la mandate por ____ el presente
    que firmo en el Real Palacio de Madrid a 25 de Junio de 1885.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Quartermaster General of the Royal Family
    S.M. Queen Maria Christina

Given the ____ by Mr. Henry Creed & Sons, has deign by Royal ____ ____ ____ this ____ honors of his Royal House and the use of the royal coat of arms in the ____, ____ and labels of the establishment of tailor which is in the city of London.
    And in pursuance of this mandate by ____ who signed in the Royal Palace in Madrid June 25, 1885.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow, thanks for the hard work! I can't stare at the original for very long without my eyes bleeding so that couldn't have been fun.

The Creed blog folks were astoundingly polite and fair enough to write a reply:
    "Thank you for your interest and your question about the royal warrant granted CREED by Queen Maria Cristina of Spain in 1885.

From its founding in 1760 and over the centuries, CREED was a provider of luxury items ranging from equestrian gear and leather goods to tailored clothing, military uniforms and, of course, fine hand-made fragrances. For example, CREED in 1781 provided King George III with custom made leather gloves and a personal fragrance named Royal English leather.

CREED’s offerings to royal houses were comprehensive, and as a royal order in the 19th century would typically consist of up to two dozen suitings and up to two fragrances, “tailor” was the often designated term on papers issued to CREED from palace clients.

You may find it interesting that clothing bearing the CREED label is still offered today, but only at the CREED boutique at 38, Avenue Pierre 1er de Serbie in Paris. CREED shirts, ties, jackets, scarves and other items are offered in a room adjacent to the main salon where fragrances are sold."
    http://blog.creedboutique.com/about-...yals/#comments

Unfortunately, this undermines the claim that the warrant "named CREED her official perfumer" unless tailor is somehow equivalent to perfumer. Tactfully handled but trying to pass off old documents as something they aren't and hoping no one reads them is just a little sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    Unfortunately, this undermines the claim that the warrant "named CREED her official perfumer" unless tailor is somehow equivalent to perfumer. Tactfully handled but trying to pass off old documents as something they aren't and hoping no one reads them is just a little sad.
    I don't see the word "leather" on any of these documents. That must mean Creed never created any leather stuff. Unless ofcourse like perfumes, leather was their secondary line of business..

Also, that line reads "established as tailors in the city of London". Which is true, they were established as tailors in the city of London, but in 1885 they were in Paris.

I think this discussion is getting a bit absurd and obsessive now to the point that not even official communication from the company is enough.....call me when the Guerlain and Chanel warrants are on display..
    -