Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 91 to 100 of 100
  1. #91

    Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

    Duplicate post.
    "...her fragrance all in my keeping; softly she comes in the night." Lyrics, Gordon Lightfoot, "Softly."

  2. #92

    Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    So I guess if another niche fragrance company comes out with the plumes etched onto their bottle camps, Creed can actually sue and win...hmmm...
    I don't doubt this at all. Not many people know heraldry these days. Anything that *looks* noble is usu. taken for truly noble.

    A rampant lion and unicorn, add a coronet and--voila--a noble coat of arms.

    I actually like the Juicy Couture "fake" coat of arms with the rampant Scottish terriers! This pokes gentle fun at all those "serious" coats of arms, both real and fake!
    "...her fragrance all in my keeping; softly she comes in the night." Lyrics, Gordon Lightfoot, "Softly."

  3. #93

    Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/05/26...grance-review/
    "Guerlain produced many perfumes with “royal airs” — Bouquet de Duchesse, Délice du Prince, Le Bouquet de Fürstenberg, Esterházy Mixtyre, Bouquet du Roi d’Angleterre, Bouquet du Jardin du roi, Bouquet de l’Impératrice and Bouquet Napoléon."
    Sorry, the link doesn''t work for me. Accidentially the naming game overran the scents. Do You think that any Creed brew smelled if it honestly could have been made 1800+something in the first place?
    Alas, I never had the pleasure to identify any Creed offering anywhere scent wise.

    WOuld You second my observation that older, really vintage perfumes go towards less finished, less shiny, less streamlined compared to contemporary concoctions? 1-2 at most 3 ingredients that counteract to keep it upright and that was it?

    Would anybody 1800+ would have liked a distinctive leather scent as "Royal Leather Milissime Imperial" is supposed to be? As far as I have read people used perfume just to get rid of that ordinary stink!

    ps: I just arrived home and smelled Floramye again on blotter .. despite of my quest for an utterly synthetic scent Floramye is such a simple beauty against Beyond Paradise. Less effort, same effect.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 18th August 2010 at 07:28 PM.

  4. #94

    Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Sorry, the link doesn''t work for me. Accidentially the naming game overran the scents. Do You think that any Creed brew smelled if it honestly could have been made 1800+something in the first place?
    Alas, I never had the pleasure to identify any Creed offering anywhere scent wise. WOuld You second my observation that older perfumes go towards less finished, less shiny, less streamlined compared to contemporary concoctions? 1-2 at most 3 ingredients that counteract to keep it upright and that was it?

    Would anybody 1800+ would have liked a distinctive leather scent as "Royal Leather Milissime Imperial" is supposed to be? As far as I have read people used perfume just to get rid of that ordinary stink!
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/05/26...grance-review/
    It was the link you initially posted.

    As I said above, there are a number of Creeds that are clearly based on typical 19th century formulas

    It depends what yu mean by older perfumes. Read Perfumes of Yesterday by David G. Williams - the old formulas are exceedingly complex and at the same time, by the standards of what Coty and Guerlain developed, inept, as they lack the conceptual foundation of head-heart-base working with and against each other. Golden age perfumery is hardly simplistic either, even if the result may seem elegantly simple. I find present-day niche way more rough-hewn, even where it's good. Texture is another matter, many modern scents are indeed smoothed out.

    I must admit I never smelled a genuine old formula for a leather-scenting fragrance, only read them. But in the baroque they would have been stuffed with musks and heavy florals as available. They wolud not have smelled of leather by themselves. The REL sold now is clearly not a 1781 formula, I would agree. It's a 1920s thing earliest, just as Vintage Tab.

  5. #95

    Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    As I said above, there are a number of Creeds that are clearly based on typical 19th century formulas
    Quite interesting. Could You disclose such baroque formula a Creed is made along? That would be at least a bit of reason behind the Creed thing. Do You feel that some Creed and which if any could have been invented in say 1890 or earlier scent wise?

    ... my scent of today was Encencs Et Bubblegum - cool

  6. #96

    Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Quite interesting. Could You disclose such baroque formula a Creed is made along? That would be at least a bit of reason behind the Creed thing. Do You feel that some Creed and which if any could have been invented in say 1890 or earlier scent wise?

    ... my scent of today was Encencs Et Bubblegum - cool
    Not the baroque style, more of the old simple cologne style:
    Bois de Cedrat
    Citrus Bigarade
    Santal Imperial
    Perhaps Selection Verte
    Royal Scottish Lavender (an old fashioned medicinal-clovey, though actually somewhat complex lavender)

  7. #97
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,653

    Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Not the baroque style, more of the old simple cologne style:
    Bois de Cedrat
    Citrus Bigarade
    Santal Imperial
    Perhaps Selection Verte
    Royal Scottish Lavender (an old fashioned medicinal-clovey, though actually somewhat complex lavender)
    I can add Windsor to that list ... it seems like a very old world and simple formula...pine, eucalyptus, gin, some rose, and cedar.
    -

  8. #98

    Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I can add Windsor to that list ... it seems like a very old world and simple formula...pine, eucalyptus, gin, some rose, and cedar.
    So - Creed is in parts about old fashioned perfumery despite of having been only tailors back than, period. The trick of contemporary heritants of Creeds long tradition of tailoring for royals is to deal with implementations of ancient public domain formulars as if it was their very own property. The other part is - as Luca Turin takes it "vile" concoctions without a hint of eagerness in it. The best verdict seen is "weired confused nothing".

    The quality of the resemblance to ancient colognes is questionable, as nobody could expect to smell the real stuff due to aging issues with the latter. Clandestine Creed uses a heck of synthetics too, just as anybody else does for good today. This in some peculiar way not-so-true business of Creed developed some bloomers as fragrances smelling of leather rather than trying to cover that back then quite objectionable stonk of urine and such: "pecunia non olet" was about feces used to tan animal skin in old Rome to yield leather**, go figure!

    Would it offend anybody to state that Creed is just about that? I personally would like to close the case, which I do with this regarding myself. My interests are as with music directed to the future ;-)

    ** => TRUE!

  9. #99

    Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I don't know what this "cucumber" note is and never really got it (unlike the one in Wall Street), except that it contains a hefty dose of real quality cedar, buttery ionones, currant and rose (and is one of the more expensive Creed formulas recently)..the hefty-floral spicy wide-landscape fragrances aren't my thing and I dont see Creed doing them anytime soon, but I guess that is a topic for another thread
    It's the mordern-ish synthetic violet nitrile (CAS 67019-89-0). It's like shellfish or peanutbutter; some people like it, some don't and for others its pleasantness is akin to olfactory anaphylactic shock.

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I must admit I never smelled a genuine old formula for a leather-scenting fragrance, only read them. But in the baroque they would have been stuffed with musks and heavy florals as available. They wolud not have smelled of leather by themselves. The REL sold now is clearly not a 1781 formula, I would agree. It's a 1920s thing earliest, just as Vintage Tab.
    I'm curious, what exactly were old leathers based on? Was it all variations on birch tar?

  10. #100
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,653

    Default Re: Creed Royal Warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    It's the mordern-ish synthetic violet nitrile (CAS 67019-89-0). It's like shellfish or peanutbutter; some people like it, some don't and for others its pleasantness is akin to olfactory anaphylactic shock.
    Thats just one component (violet nitrile, aka nonadiene).

    To me its constructed of woody-iris-green, which indicates thats its a combination of beta ionones (woody iris) and/or iris absolu powder, some green violet leaf absolu./nonadienal http://www.givaudan.com/webcom/v/ind...001053410aRCRD , along with some esters to provide more of that woody-green feel (used more in GIT, with violet leaf absolu).
    -

Similar Threads

  1. [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?
    By Merlino in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Yesterday, 10:32 AM
  2. Creed Royal Water or Royal Bust?
    By Maz24 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20th December 2007, 06:55 PM
  3. Creed Royal Delight vs. Royal Water
    By CHARDKAY in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd November 2004, 12:07 AM
  4. Creed Royal Water
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000