Code of Conduct

Default Introduction + a few questions

Bonjour Basenoters!

This is my first ever post, so take it easy on me.

I've been perusing the forums here for a couple of weeks, and the sheer volume of information is amazing (and I must confess, it's been somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine reading all those SA horror stories). I have a couple myself that I may share in the future.

I'm not exactly a beginner in regards to the fragrance world, but I am most certainly no expert. My first real experience with scents came courtesy of Calvin Klein a while back. I received three 30 ml travel sprays for Christmas (Euphoria, Eternity and Obsession). I had a love/hate relationship with Euphoria and was pleasantly surprised by Eternity (as it was 90 + degrees here at the time and I found it to wear very well in the heat). I was excited to try Obsession, as I read somewhere that it was in Bill Clinton's wardrobe and, well, it seemed to work wonders for him. However, before I could try it the bottle fell onto the tile floor of my bathroom and shattered. The scent crept into every single corner of the house, and I still catch whiffs of it every so often.

So, anyways ...

I have a few quick questions.

1.) In regards to obtaining decants of fragrances....(I am totally obsessive compulsive and absolutely NEED to make sure a scent compliments my skin before even considering making a purchase)....will I need to build a reputation here before buying samples from Basenotes members? (I've spent a bit of time browsing some off-site decant sales lists) It is my understanding that The Perfumed Court is a reputable site, so I may have to look there first.

2.) Are there any particular niche fragrances/perfumers that I should definitely check out first? I've heard great things about Serge Lutens, Montale, By Kilian, and Fredric Malle in particular.

3.) Does anyone have any suggestions of designer fragrances that have a "niche" type vibe to them (if that makes any sense)? For instance, I've heard that Lalique's Encre Noir may fit this bill? (Update: I found a great thread that covers this exact topic.)

Finally, I've researched the Internet Shopping Guide forum here quite extensively, and I believe I will make my next purchase through Big Discount Fragrances, Fragrance Net or Parfum1. From what I've read, these seem to be very reliable web sites.

So anyways, just "breaking the ice" so to speak, and I look forward to delving far, far down the rabbit hole here at Basenotes!

Kevin
    Last edited by supernaut; 11th August 2010 at 02:22 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: Introduction + a few questions

Welcome Kevin ... don't be a stranger!

I'm no niche guy, in fact, Imma designer whore,
    so I cannot help you with your questions, but,
    you never told us, if you liked Obsession or not?!

Hey there!

I did enjoy it, yes. It was cloying at first, but settled down into a wonderful haze of spiced musk and I instantly recognized the scent. It was a bit too mature for me, however, so I haven't purchased another bottle.

Hillaire

Welcome!

2. I'd recommend Parfums de Nicolai, a quality if stolid line that represents the best affordable niche talent on the market.

3. Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Check out anything and everything by Thierry Mugler, its a pretty unique house

Basenotes Institution

Hello and welcome ! Good to have you here- sounds like you fit in very well !
    The Perfumed Court is a good site and so is The Posh Peasant. No blind buying full bottles for you ,then !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Welcome!

2. I'd recommend Parfums de Nicolai, a quality if stolid line that represents the best affordable niche talent on the market.

3. Tom Ford
    Thank you for the advice! I will most likely be purchasing Grey Vetiver soon. I also should be receiving samples of Italian Cypress, Tobacco Vanille and Tom Ford Extreme in the mail sometime in the near future. *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Check out anything and everything by Thierry Mugler, its a pretty unique house
    I'm definitely a fan of A*men. It's on my "want list". And I've been looking everywhere for Pure Malt; it looks like to buy it new i'll have to shell out upwards of $100

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Hello and welcome ! Good to have you here- sounds like you fit in very well !
    The Perfumed Court is a good site and so is The Posh Peasant. No blind buying full bottles for you ,then !
    Thank you kindly! I'll be sure to check out The Posh Peasant. Currently, the only fragrance I would ever consider buying blind is Eau De Lalique; it's so damn hot here right now and my Eternity is on its last leg

Luckily, I live very close to the Mall of America. I can hit up Macy's, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Sephora, Perfumania, Burberry and those sketchy cart vendors that sometimes creep me out. Plus they are adding a Jo Malone Boutique and an Art of Shaving store in the fall. I still need to master the art of obtaining samples, though. The forums here have been very helpful in that respect.

Welcome to Basenotes Along with The Perfumed Court, there are places such as Lucky Scent and then First in Fragrance and Essenza Nobile both in Germany which are excellent for samples.
    The best thing to do is to go onto a site that gives you links to the various perfume sites and simply type an e-mail to them asking if they either supply or sell sample vials. Many bigger companies will not even bother to reply, but you would be surprised as to how many niche companies will post samples to you if you go about asking in the right manner. Good luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by supernaut View Post

1.) In regards to obtaining decants of fragrances....(I am totally obsessive compulsive and absolutely NEED to make sure a scent compliments my skin before even considering making a purchase)....will I need to build a reputation here before buying samples from Basenotes members? (I've spent a bit of time browsing some off-site decant sales lists) It is my understanding that The Perfumed Court is a reputable site, so I may have to look there first.
    Welcome to Basenotes, Kevin. I'm mostly a designer guy myself, so I can't help you much with niche either.

As far as decants go though, I don't think there is any need to "build a reputation" first. In most instances you send the seller the money (usually via PayPal) first. Once they have the money in their account, that's all they need to know you are legit. Then they send you your purchased decants. I have had a lot of success buying decants off of fellow Basenoters. Everyone I've dealt with has been totally standup and professional. PM me if you want more details than that.

Also, check out Crystal Flacon (Google it). Many of our fellow Basenoters also sell on that site, plus some that aren't members here.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by supernaut View Post
    Luckily, I live very close to the Mall of America. I can hit up Macy's, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Sephora, Perfumania, Burberry and those sketchy cart vendors that sometimes creep me out. Plus they are adding a Jo Malone Boutique and an Art of Shaving store in the fall. I still need to master the art of obtaining samples, though. The forums here have been very helpful in that respect.
    The world is your oyster as you live near Mall Of America.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lucky you...Mall of America! I'd recommend that you start testing Guerlains...they can be an acquired taste. Start acquiring!

Whoaaa my apologies, I've been out of town for the past couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes Along with The Perfumed Court, there are places such as Lucky Scent and then First in Fragrance and Essenza Nobile both in Germany which are excellent for samples.

The best thing to do is to go onto a site that gives you links to the various perfume sites and simply type an e-mail to them asking if they either supply or sell sample vials. Many bigger companies will not even bother to reply, but you would be surprised as to how many niche companies will post samples to you if you go about asking in the right manner. Good luck.
    I received some samples from Divine, Hermes and Ineke. The customer service was exceptional for. I honestly feel like purchasing a bottle directly from Hermes just to thank them. I also sent a very carefully worded e-mail to Tom Ford Beauty - I'm still waiting to see how that pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes, Kevin. I'm mostly a designer guy myself, so I can't help you much with niche either.

As far as decants go though, I don't think there is any need to "build a reputation" first. In most instances you send the seller the money (usually via PayPal) first. Once they have the money in their account, that's all they need to know you are legit. Then they send you your purchased decants. I have had a lot of success buying decants off of fellow Basenoters. Everyone I've dealt with has been totally standup and professional. PM me if you want more details than that.

Also, check out Crystal Flacon (Google it). Many of our fellow Basenoters also sell on that site, plus some that aren't members here.
    Sounds great, that's exactly what I was curious about. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    The world is your oyster as you live near Mall Of America.
    Yea I’m spoiled

Quote Originally Posted by MaatMama View Post
    Lucky you...Mall of America! I'd recommend that you start testing Guerlains...they can be an acquired taste. Start acquiring!
    Will do, the Guerlain house seems to get quite a lot of recognition here. I enjoyed Vetiver, but sadly that's as deep as my experience with Guerlain runs.

I really appreciate all the helpful advice and suggestions. Thanks!

Welcome Kevin

Welcome! :-) Exploring niche offerings is certainly great fun. :-) I would add to your list my favourite Ormonde Jayne. You should also try Creed and Etro. You'll discover lots and lots more houses as you continue exploring, the list is virtually endless.

I would recommend joining MUA (makeupalley.com) and starting swapping there. That's how I acquired my huge sample collection. It is also (one of) the most cost-effective way(s) of getting to try new scents. If you decide to get started with swapping then definitely read mspicky2's notepad on MUA first. She has some great advice for new swappers.

Good luck and have a lot of fun!

@Hamp: Thank you!

@bonsai: That's funny, I just recieved a couple of Ormonde Jayne samples in the mail (Ormonde Man and Isfarkand pour Homme). I am really enjoying Isfarkand, it wears exceptionally well in the hot weather we've been experiencing here.

I've never even tried GIT!! Seriously, what's wrong with me? I am definitely making it a priority to try some of the most popular Creed scents (Bois du Portugal, Himalaya, Millésime Impérial, Silver Mountain Water and GIT, of course). I'll also be checking out Etro.

Thanks for the tip on joining MUA!