Code of Conduct

Default I'm venturing into the niche world, i have some questions...

I think i have a fair amount of frags that can carry me through my day by day, but i'm searching for something more. Something i can say it's THE fragrance i love to use when an special occasion.

So i'm looking for some niches, i have limited access to niches, some MPG, Serge Lutens, Creed, Anninck Goutal (i think it doesnt even count), ETRO, Tom Ford etc...

I love amber and i'm struggling between Ambre Sultan (SL) or Ambre Precieux (MPG). I want something good, long lasting and with presence (not necessarily a sillage beast, but, at least, noticeable).

Also i'd be glad i you could recommend me some others quality frags, not too heavy, but with consistent longevity and presence.

I'm 28, work in a office (for that use i'll stick to mugler cologne or such) and getting into politics, so if would be cool to improve my image

Default Re: I'm venturing into the niche world, i have some questions...

With regard to amber I think the new Ambre Precieux might be a bit watery for you. It is definitely softer and more 'charming' to me, if this is what you want. Do you have access to Histoires de Parfums Ambre 114? Sample it and maybe this would be just ideal for you. It's a bit less harsh than Ambre Sultan can be, although I find them not too far apart. Today I personally might opt for the Ambre 114, if I didn't already own Ambre Sultan.

What do you think about Ambre Sultan sillage? I know longevity is good, but i've read and been told different opinions on sillage: from no sillage at all to sillage monster.

I have no acces to Histories de Parfums, but maybe i can make a deal with luckyscents (the problem is that it's a bit more expensive than the retailers i use to buy from)

Sur la Plage

I really like Tom Ford Amber Absolute.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default I'm venturing into the niche world, i have some questions...

I find Ambre Sultan nearly unwearable for myself. It is a very dry, stuffy, "stale air" amber that literally chokes me out. I'm not a big fan of straight amber but in small amounts it is great. Ambre Sultan is full on heavyweight in the amber category, so it doesn't work at all for me. I had really high hopes for it, and tried several times, but every time it's just too much.

Go with Ambre Precieux. You won't be disappointed.

I'm a big fan of amber and I love Ambre Sultan and Ambre Precieux. My very favorite amber, though, is l'Occitane's Ambre. It's discontinued but can still be found. It's just the absolute perfect amber in my opinion. Sillage is perfect and longevity is a little above average (7-8 hours). Like I said, it's discontinued, but can be found for between $100-150, which is about the same as you'd pay for a Lutens or MPG.

I own both Ambre Sultan and Ambre Precieux. Ambre Sultan has a strong herbal element, while Ambre Precieux is more rounded and mellow. Both are very good, just depends on whether you want the herbal component.

Goutal's Ambre Fetiche is also very good, more similar to Ambre Precieux than to Ambre Sultan, and more subtle and reserved than either.

Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe is another good one, soft and not too loud, but with a boozy, leathery character.

Of these, Ambre Sultan is probably the strongest, the Goutal probably the weakest.

IMO you can't go wrong with any of these. They are all very fine.

noggs

Amber could get very boring with time. SL is good and fierce. L'Artisan's Extreme Ambre is boredom in a bottle. Etro's Ambra is linear and has to be layered with another Etro to become fun. The MPG is fine but L'Occitane's Ambre or Dior's Ambre Nuit are the most interesting Ambres, IMO.

Edited to add: While Goutal's Ambre is OK, it's totally redundant amongst dozens of amber scents. Expensive and that fetish reference in the name won't save it. Goutal's creations had chutzpah beyond compare when Annick was alive.

Ambre Sultan produces enough sillage on me and I do not in general produce plenty. Ambre Russe is a masterpiece, but to my nose not a straight-up amber, rather spicy, boozy yes and to me restricted to winter to wear. In the end, it's all about your taste, because for instance I dislike Tom Ford's Amber Absolute ('unpleasant' is my word) and I find Ambre Fetiche totally boring. Do read the reviews here and try to figure out which ones could be along your lines, sample first and then buy! I'd definitely try Ambre 114!

Yeah, maybe i don't mind if amber sultan it's too strong, my skin eats up any fragance to the point that A*men isn't a powerhouse on me, not even Van Cleef or the likes. I get low longevity of almost any frag, maybe has something to do with body chemistry, that's the reason i don't want to spend money in a good, special frag, to last on me 1 o 2 hours (annick goutal's lasts even less).

Here in Sevilla L'Occitanne is impossible to get, i'll look the web for testers.

Yeah, maybe i don't mind if amber sultan it's too strong, my skin eats up any fragance to the point that A*men isn't a powerhouse on me, not even Van Cleef or the likes. I get low longevity of almost any frag, maybe has something to do with body chemistry, that's the reason i don't want to spend money in a good, special frag, to last on me 1 o 2 hours (annick goutal's lasts even less).

Here in Sevilla L'Occitanne is impossible to get, i'll look the web for testers.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I really like Tom Ford Amber Absolute.
    +1 Amber Absolute, but it doesn't seem too complex.

Ambre Sultan is amazing!
    For some yumminess, try Ambre Narguile by Hermes.
    Ambre Nuit of Christian Dior is like a toned down version of Ambre Narguile, this is also good.
    Ambre Soie of Armani Prive is a bitter amber.
    Amber Absolute of Tom Ford is a dark, deep strong amber.
    Last edited by volley2; 12th August 2010 at 01:10 AM.

Consider Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain

Yeah, i had tauer's in mind too. I'll have to save some money to get some scents from luckyscents in order to make the most of the shipping costs