Code of Conduct

Default Scent and sensibility

A commentary on fashion houses and how they hire noses to create perfumes ...+ another JC Ellena love letter...as usual he impresses a visiting journalist with his now well-known smelling strip magic tricks..

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-F...e1-580388.aspx

I went to Grasse to meet Ellena at the villa that he uses as his workshop. Almost the first thing he did after saying ‘hello,’ was to dip two paper strips into two different vials. One vial contained a molecule called isobutyl phenyl acetate, and the other had ethyl vanillin (the vanilla note used most famously in Shalimar). He made me smell them. It was the smell of chocolate.
    He dipped a strip into another bottle and held it next to the first two. It was now the unmistakable scent of gingerbread.

As I watched in astonishment, his assistant asked if I wanted something to drink. It was a hot day in the South of France so I asked for a Coke.
    “Ah yes,” said Ellena and dipped four new strips into four vials. (Apparently, these were ethyl vanillin, cinnamon, orange and lime). I smelt deeply as he held out the four strips.
    He had created the smell of Coke.

If you know a little bit about fragrance, you will know that these are tricks. Chocolate is an incredibly complex smell comprising scores of molecules, not just two. Coca Cola has many more than four basic smells within it. Ellena could not possibly have created the full smells of either chocolate or Coke.
    But here’s the thing: I believed I was smelling chocolate and Coke

A key quote:

I asked the great Jacques Polge of Chanel to name a masculine fragrance of the last five years that he admired and he picked Terre (d'Hermes).
    Last edited by zztopp; 11th August 2010 at 06:40 PM.
    -

Default Re: Scent and sensibility

Thanks for the link, it's a very interesting read. There's a fragrance by Nobile 1942 that I sampled last week and that was instant cola (coke).

Thank you for sharing! very interesting..

Un profumo affettuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Thanks for the link, it's a very interesting read. There's a fragrance by Nobile 1942 that I sampled last week and that was instant cola (coke).
    Which one was it? Anonymo veniziano?

Very interesting article, thank you for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Un profumo affettuoso View Post
    Which one was it? Anonymo veniziano?

Very interesting article, thank you for the link!
    I tried quite a few: Acqua Nobile, Ambra Nobile, Estroverso Colonia Maxima, Pontevecchio Colonia Maxima, Vespriesperidati Colonia Maxima and their latest one but it doesn't have a name on the spray vial so it could well be the one you mention. I purchased the Cedro Atlas coffret set when it came out which was a great value buy for 3 fragrances and No.2 so accurate for cola, you could almost drink it.

I wish Basenotes had a Category (male & female) List of fragrances, eg. characterized as predominantly florals, aquas or blues, grasses, earth, woods, spices...or however best (professionally) they could/should be categorized.

I like this quote…

“I am not interested in reproducing nature in its complexity. What I love is the process of internalising it and transforming it to my taste. Illusion is more true than reality. The plausible is more believable than the true.” (He is French, after all).

(Sigh!! ♥) Yes, he is. But that attitude is contingent upon the situation at hand. He also has be very practical and "real". Thanks so much for posting the link. I enjoyed reading the article. I think my SotD will be an Ellena tea creation, in his honor.