Code of Conduct

Default Terre d Hermes: How many sprays?

Today I opened a TDH bottle. I love this smell, I consider it s simple but classy at the same time. (that s not easy to find).

I always care about longevity and sillage issues too, and I think TDH have excellent performance in both worlds. Is not Kouros, but is pretty good on my skin.

I know all skins are different.....but I need some references....How many sprays do you apply for Terre d Hermes?

Thanks guys,
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default Re: Terre d Hermes: How many sprays?

Do we talk about the EDT or the Pure Perfume?

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    do we talk about the edt or the pure perfume?
    edt
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

3 like everything else.

IMHO, the EDT got the better sillage, above average. So, it depends on what kind of fragrance user you are; the timid or the offensive, loud type.
    Pretty much as with your other frags. TDH rocks!

Three for everyday wear, four for more casual situations where you aren't worried about offending someone in a professional setting.

When you stay at home, visit some friends, ordinary stuff: 3 sprays to the chest.
    Work or school: 1 spray to the chest.
    Going out: 3 sprays to the chest and 1 on each wrist, so a total of 5 sprays.
    Apply one more spray to the chest if you want to have extra fun when going out.

That is how I do it.

Apply it to clothes, not skin: it stays a lot longer on fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by xilonic View Post
    apply it to clothes, not skin: It stays a lot longer on fabrics.
    ummm?

I'm worried that my bottle is "dying". No matter how many sprays (3 or 6) I can barely smell it after an hour. No one can smell it on me either. It won't even stay on clothing. This sucks because I will never forget using 1 spray from a tester how potent it was. Ruled out is "olfactory fatigue" btw since I don't have this issue with other frags in my collection.

I purchased it on Amazon for $40 several months ago and thought what a great deal I was getting. Now I'm starting to think I actually bought a 4 year old bottle that is now going flat, fast. Anybody else have this happen?

I use 2 to 3.

ts1000 you could be slightly anosmic to it even if you don't get olfactory fatigue... My TdH (also EDT) isn't new but it stays on all day. The suggestion to spray on clothes (and hair) is a good one, and I do this with MOST scents (bar the longest-lasting and strongest ones) as it does indeed scent clothing or hair for a longer time than skin.

(YMMV with respect to the number of spritzes... I use an average of 9 on skin alone! (Wrists, back of hands, insides of elbows, behind ears, and 1 in the hollow between collarbones) plus a spritz on each sleeve and each side of the collar, and one "walkthrough" spritz to the hair, for scents that tend to fade during the day.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I've gotten comments when using just one spray, so I don't think more is necessary. I can smell it on myself for at least 8 hours with one spray. The longevity of TdH is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    YMMV with respect to the number of spritzes... I use an average of 9 on skin alone!
    Yes, I think you guys are being way too timid! I usually go for 6-8 sprays.

Usually 2 sprays.

EdT: 15 full-throttle presses all over the chest, abdomen and shoulders + 2 half-way presses behind each ear + 5 half-ways on each arm.

Parfum: Full 8 on chest, abdomen and shoulders + 1 behind each ear + 3 on each arm

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Yes, I think you guys are being way too timid! I usually go for 6-8 sprays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    EdT: 15 full-throttle presses all over the chest, abdomen and shoulders + 2 half-way presses behind each ear + 5 half-ways on each arm.

Parfum: Full 8 on chest, abdomen and shoulders + 1 behind each ear + 3 on each arm
    Now i feel more comfortable, seeing these "real-life" numbers.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

2 sprays on the chest and 2 on the neck is more than enough for me.
    I can still detect it on me 12 hours later.

I wore this last evening/night & applied 1 spray to my neck & 1 on each wrist & was fine for the night. I love this scent.

Killer, that sounds almost like an aerobic workout!

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Killer, that sounds almost like an aerobic workout!
    LOL... I know! I'm a gym addict and I think in that frame or everything.

Wow...15 sprays? 6-8? Where are you all wearing this? Hopefully not to work...because whether or not you know it, you ARE "the cologne guy" in your office. Regardless of your skin type...people will pick up on it and many times, it can offend. But to each his/her own I guess, and maybe you all don't mind that. TdH is strong IMO, and I love it, but I can't fathom using much more than 2 sprays. 3 if I'm going out somewhere at night and INTEND to emit the scent off to everyone in a 5 foot proximity.

Call my approach "timid," but I don't like being the room's air freshener...
    I smell better than you.

Wow really?

TDH is the only fragrance I got a "holy crap I'm choking" from. 7 sprays last winter and a lady from ACROSS the office told me that she was having breathing problems because of my perfume. The crazy thing is I couldn't smell it at all. Period. None. Not a whiff.

Just keep my anecdote in mind.

For me, 2 sprays is more than adequate. I'm finding this to be true with a large number of JCE's compositions.

Just one spray and I can smell it on my shirt the next day. I can't even imagine what kind of a stink bomb you'd be after 15 sprays.

15 sprays of anything is just stupid overkill. Sorry, but it's antics like that that lead to things like widespread perfume bans.

It's not really much different in principle than those kids who blast the subwoofers in their cars late at night.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    15 sprays of anything is just stupid overkill. Sorry, but it's antics like that that lead to things like widespread perfume bans.
    Killer_Vavoom and I both live in the Middle East, where people aren't gripped by fear of fragrance, so we can get away with pouring it on. I admit that on occasion I have used too much, but the usual response is something like, "Wow, man, you smell good!" rather than anything negative.

Although my average number of sprays of anything is probably around 6-7, there are some fragrances I only spray once or two or three times and there are others where I go for over a dozen. It just depends on the fragrance. While I'm certainly not after clearing a room, I do want people to be able to smell it on me.

I don't find TdH particularly strong, and would consider 1-3 sprays not even worth it!

I'm going to guess that the extreme variability in the perceived strength of TdH is due to one's sensitivity level to iso e super. For those of us who are sensitive to it, TdH is a real powerhouse.

While I appreciate that the attitude towards scent is different over there, I can't imagine 15 sprays of anything not becoming extremely annoying to, if not those around him, the wearer himself. More is not always better. Listening to music at 130db is not pleasant either.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'm going to guess that the extreme variability in the perceived strength of TdH is due to one's sensitivity level to iso e super. For those of us who are sensitive to it, TdH is a real powerhouse.
    I believe that is true. It has been a while since I have worn TdH, but I have noticed my sensitivity towards fragrances high in iso e super increasing. So maybe next time I try it I will find it stronger than I have in the past.

While I appreciate that the attitude towards scent is different over there, I can't imagine 15 sprays of anything not becoming extremely annoying to, if not those around him, the wearer himself. More is not always better. Listening to music at 130db is not pleasant either.

WOW! Chill dude! I mean WWOOWW! You're almost attacking me. No you're not appreciating the attitude over here at all simply because you haven't been here and seen how WE ARABS do it. Don't like? You just don't have to. Just chill.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Now i feel more comfortable, seeing these "real-life" numbers.
    Real life numbers: 6-8 on a normal day
    8-12 if going party against Le Males, Gios, Chromes and other stuff

1 Spray is like using nothing, get serious! I spray my hands sometimes with AMen and no one notices!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    For me, 2 sprays is more than adequate. I'm finding this to be true with a large number of JCE's compositions.
    Explain me how you can smell Un Jardin Apres la Mousson with only just 2 sprays... if i use 2 sprays on my hand, it's gone after 2 hours or so.. so explain me how do you get so much sillage and longevity with just 2 sprays.

I think my skin is pretty normal, but frags don't last that much on me (with a few good exceptions) and doesn't matter how many sprays i use. The only problem is overspraying the wrong kind of fragances in the wrong weather. I can't imagine myself using 8 sprays of A*Men in hot summer, not even Hypnose or Pure Malt, heat intensifies the smell making it uncomfortable for me, but many fragances don't get affected by the number of sprays, and, in cold weather the problem is less serious.

Last weekend i used more than 6-7 sprays of Ambre Sultan, it was still warm and i was at a party outdoors... no one seemed to notice the smell of Ambre Sultan (even if it is a rare scents where I live, amber centered scents are no popular over here). Nevertheless, a guy with Only the brave was giving me headache

Postumo, I definitely respect your opinion, and go for what makes you feel great...but just because somebody doesn't outright SAY they smell your cologne, doesn't mean they don't. How many times have you passed somebody wearing way too much perfume/cologne and stopped them to say "hey, maybe you should turn down the volume a bit..." Probably not often. Did you say anything to the guy wearing Only the Brave when you were getting the headache from it? Doubt it...most people keep that to themselves unless they are FORCED to be around somebody for an extended period of time and its absolutely imperative that they be informed. Kinda like Pappy's experience in his office...the lady probably only commented because she would have to be in the same office with him over and over, so she felt better about letting him know, but even then she was probably hesitant to do that. People don't just up and mention that to others, because most people don't want to call people out unless its necessary. So...I'm sure they smelled your Ambre Sultan...because after all its still...Ambre Sultan. In heat. 6-7 sprays. You were smelled sir...comments made or not...
    I smell better than you.

For the EDP - I would say ONE SPRAY is enough. The stuff is so insanely strong, it's ridiculous. I fell in love with the EDP at first, but after several months of trying it wear it in various situations, I found it simply too overpowering and it never felt 'right' no matter where I wore it. So back to Nordstrom's it went.

The EDT 2-3 sprays you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    For the EDP...
    Terre d'Hermès is not available in eau de parfum concentration. Did you mean parfum?

The fact that we cannot agree about the ideal number of sprays doesn’t mean that someone’s wrong. It just a matter of our personal preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs
    Killer_Vavoom and I both live in the Middle East, where people aren't gripped by fear of fragrance, so we can get away with pouring it on. I admit that on occasion I have used too much, but the usual response is something like, "Wow, man, you smell good!" rather than anything negative.

Although my average number of sprays of anything is probably around 6-7, there are some fragrances I only spray once or two or three times and there are others where I go for over a dozen. It just depends on the fragrance. While I'm certainly not after clearing a room, I do want people to be able to smell it on me.

With just one difference (I am not living in the Middle East), everything what noggs said perfectly describes my habits/points of view.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Terre d'Hermès EDT, two sprays are enough for quite good projection. Longevity is seldom issue to me no matter the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue View Post
    Postumo, I definitely respect your opinion, and go for what makes you feel great...but just because somebody doesn't outright SAY they smell your cologne, doesn't mean they don't. How many times have you passed somebody wearing way too much perfume/cologne and stopped them to say "hey, maybe you should turn down the volume a bit..." Probably not often. Did you say anything to the guy wearing Only the Brave when you were getting the headache from it? Doubt it...most people keep that to themselves unless they are FORCED to be around somebody for an extended period of time and its absolutely imperative that they be informed. Kinda like Pappy's experience in his office...the lady probably only commented because she would have to be in the same office with him over and over, so she felt better about letting him know, but even then she was probably hesitant to do that. People don't just up and mention that to others, because most people don't want to call people out unless its necessary. So...I'm sure they smelled your Ambre Sultan...because after all its still...Ambre Sultan. In heat. 6-7 sprays. You were smelled sir...comments made or not...
    Can't agree royalblue... when I say nobody notices i mean that if i ask someone if he/she does smells anything or if he/she likes my cologne i usually get these answers: i don't smell anything / too weak / it smells good (after trying hard or getting too close).

That's why i say most people don't notice. The guy with Only the brave gave me headache because he was in my car, closed space sadly (i'd like a convertible).

Around here i don't meet many people with a strong smell or odor. A girl works in front of my office and she leaves a heavy trail of Insolence by Guerlain that i feel heavy because it lasts even when she is long gone and, for me, it's sickening sweet... but i don't go out or disco or clubbin smelling heavy scents from other than the occasional "Le Male" guy. Here most people use aquatics...

My opinion is that 1-2 sprays is just exaggerated, as they are more than 12. I use around 8 (some times they are not FULL sprays, just weak pressings ). And few colognes last on me more than 4-5 hours. That's why i can't believe those 1 sprays and 24 hours longevity I read over here.

And, with Only the Brave the problem is the first hour, after that is mostly gone. No problem with the sillage or projection, my problem with it is the bad smell. I don't like it at all.

Killer, not trying to attack ya, but 15 ANYWHERE in this world is too much. I don't own Tdh, but I usually do about 5 sprays. 1 to the chest, 1 to each wrist and share with my inner elbows, and one on each side of my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Killer, not trying to attack ya, but 15 ANYWHERE in this world is too much. I don't own Tdh, but I usually do about 5 sprays. 1 to the chest, 1 to each wrist and share with my inner elbows, and one on each side of my neck.
    15 is really pushing it, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    15 is really pushing it, I agree.
    I agree. If you read my post above I wore 7-8 sprays of TDH and a woman literally ACROSS the room in the office was having a hard time breathing.

Thats not fair to other people and you don't know how you are affecting them especially if they have no choice but to be around you.

I wore about one and a half sprays of Terre D'Hermes Parfum on my chest, under my shirt and undershirt-- so basically under two layers of clothing the other night at work and got at least three compliments. One girl came and pressed her face into my chest while sighing. She also told me later how she loved the way I smelled. A male coworker gave me a compliment-- and he said he couldn't smell much because he had a cold. Later, probably six hours after I came to work, another coworker asked me what cologne I had on because he was looking for something new to wear and he liked this one a lot-- I wrote it down for him and gave him a sample vial.

Honestly, Terre D'Hermes is one of my best work scents. I get a lot of compliments on it. I alternate between the EDT and Parfum-- I like things about both. My EDT is almost gone (the first bottle I'm going to finish in a collection of about 250) so I'm going to have to snag another bottle. It's one of the most radiant scents I've ever worn, so you don't need much to get noticed.

I wore just two sprays of the EDT on my chest today, and honestly it's not enough for me to enjoy it. I had an early morning meeting at 9 AM with a small room full of people, so I played it safe, but maybe too safe. I think three sprays going forward will be my minimum. I want to smell it, too! I get more out of Aventus than I have out of TDH today.

EDT I do one to front of the neck, one back of the neck, one on the shirt front and one on each forearm.

5 sprays
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

How about 0 sprays?

EDT: 5 sprays. 3 on the chest, and 2 on the neck. I always put on some TDH after shave balm first as a base.
    EDP: the sillage on this is so low, that I can almost bath in it! (longevity is very good though)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I can barely take one spray of TDH. Way too much ISO E super. I cannot tolerate that note.

2-3 of the EDT and 1-2 of the parfum work well for me. I find the parfum projects & lasts much better on my skin, so I really don't need that much of it.

2 to 4 spray
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

2 - 3 for work environment

4 for casual outing

Sometime, I also mixing the EDT with the Pure Parfum, they are really compliment each other.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

treeman5823

Spraying too much TDH is contradicting the perfume's style: transparent and radiant (nouvelle parfumerie).

I would go 2-3.