Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone else tried Parfums DelRae's new Coup de Foudre? (rose de mai)

I sampled Coup de Foudre during the Boston Blitz two weeks ago and could kick myself for not putting some in a vial to bring home. I keep smelling the paper strip I sprayed and think "what a fresh, living floral." I'm not often fond of rose scents, having an aversion to rose potpourri, but I find rose de mai extremely appealing.

What's eating at me right now is that I see a used bottle on ebay at a good starting price, and nobody's bidding yet, which may be because the frag is too new to be well known, or all the savvy bidders are using snipe.

Anybody care to push or pull my thinking one way or the other?

From Lucky Scent
    :

Coup de Foudre is inspired by rose and dedicated namely to the Rose de Mai (Rosa centifolia), originating from one of the two remaining fields in Grasse.

Coup de Foudre aims to “capture the ultimate beauty of the rose, as you find it in nature - deep, luscious, fresh, and completely intoxicating. So stunning, that when you first smell it, regardless of your previous rose experience, it is love at first sight... Coup de Foudre. The processing of the rose was made with a new technique which is said to produce an immediate vibrancy.

Baie Rose, Italian Lemon, Pink Grapefruit, Rose de Mai France Orpur Absolute, Purple Peony, Egyptian Jasmine Absolute, Magnolia Orpur, Tonka Venezuela, Vetyver, White Moss, Velvet Musks

Cool Re: Anyone else tried Parfums DelRae's new Coup de Foudre? (rose de mai)

I got hold of a sample of this for my mother recently and she liked it. Some rose fragrances turn funny on her skin, basically smell chemically after about half a hour, but this one stays very fresh on her. It's another great scent from DelRae, the citrus and rose mix in the top notes are very well done and you can also smell the peony and jasmine coming through. My personal favourite to smell on a woman from DelRae is Debut, but this comes in at a close 2nd.
    I may have to treat my mother to this for Christmas, but I've also got Bois 1920 Kimono Rose, Roja Dove Enslaved and Grossmith Shem el Nessim on the Christmas hit list hehe - I think I better check how the money tree at the bottom of my garden is doing

Hillaire

Default Re: Anyone else tried Parfums DelRae's new Coup de Foudre? (rose de mai)

I am NUTS about it. It's also available for 25% off thru beauty encounter thru Fri.

For me, it's a rose chypre. And I love how it LASTS.

Off to ebay....

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone else tried Parfums DelRae's new Coup de Foudre? (rose de mai)

Craig, can I get a graft off that money tree?

Hillaire — maybe maybe we should split?

Oh, Miss Quarry - now I want to try this! Hee hee - Tell me what your max bid is on Ebay?
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Craig, can I get a graft off that money tree?

Hillaire — maybe maybe we should split?
    Oh, I saw it, and I'll pass. Thank you, though. Just had to have a look. That was all.

I think the Delrae website is offering a free body creme with a purchase of a scent, too.

I got Debut with its matching creme this month, and it's wonderful!

Sorry the money tree has gone from looking like
    to

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quarry, I tested this on skin at Barney's recently and found it not very rosy (so it might suit you, though it left me wishing for more rose.)

The thing is, it didn't last at all long on my skin, which surprised me for a Delrae. For that sort of longevity, I wouldn't want to pay $150. So maybe eBay is the way to go.

I drove to Berkeley today to a shop that specializes in DelRae fragrances. The salesperson, who seemed either totally apathetic, or perhaps medicated, had no idea what I was talking about, nor any interest. After getting my curiosity up, I confess that I'm a bit frustrated (but not curious enough to shell out $15.00 for a sample vial directly from DelRae.)
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

"…or perhaps medicated” — hysterical to read, but with people desperate for employment, it gets me mad that employees get away with doing a so-so job.

Imagine a devil sitting on one shoulder, an angel on the other, and Spock perched atop my head. In the past few hours I've been 100% certain I would:
    • Go for the ebay opportunity of slightly used bottle because it could be a slightly better deal if there are no counter bids (best scenario $90 + $6 shipping).
    • Go for the 25% discount from Beauty Habit because it would bring the price down to $113 with free shipping and bonus samples.
    • Stick to my rule of always getting a sample and then a decant, knowing the Posh Peasant sells same (1ml/$6, 2ml/$12, 2.5ml/$16, 5ml/$33, 10ml/$66) and that TPC will be selling CdF soon, and then I could order additional items.
    • Wait just a little longer when people will be swapping and decanting somewhat readily.

If I pull the trigger, I'll send samples to you, coopmom and Merbert.

Blog Entries

Why not try it at Luckyscent for $3 along with a few other items? It really is a good one, this time. Not a waste of $.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I had to laugh at Spock sitting on top of your head! I've had a number of his visitations myself. Unfortunately, logic rarely carries the day in such decisions.

Did you actually try Coup de Foudre on your skin? It may smell great on paper, but you know the development on paper is slowed and is not a good measure of how it will behave on your skin. (The blotter I sprayed with Une Rose 12 days ago still smells fresh. The heart notes are still there, too.)

If you do decide to go for a bottle instead of a sample, consider that the auction ends midday tomorrow, while the Beauty Habit discount is good for the rest of the day as well. So you could try to win it on eBay for the minimum or thereabouts, but if you are outbid, still use the discount code for Beauty Habit.

Quarry, Having debated and Spocked yesterday over an Ebay purchase of a used bottle of Un Bois Vanille -and if someone who reads this beat my max bid, I hope you're proud of yourself - I realized I wanted it badly enough to buy a full bottle. But I had tested it first and knew I loved it. So maybe it would be better to get a sample and make sure you love it? (But if you do buy the whole enchilada, I'll gladly swap you for a sample!)
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I think I put CdF in "Zone 8/top side" of my left forearm during the l-o-n-g day-long sampling in Boston, which means I must have thought it at least skin-worthy, but there was no parsing out anything intelligible at the end of that day.

A decision has been made …

Despite loving the scent on paper, adoring the notes listed, and having a strong gut feeling that I will like CdF, I have returned to my Vulcan ways and ordered samples. As kumquat suggests, Lucky Scent offers the best price and I was able to order samples of Ninfeo Mio and Le Rivage des Syrtes, too.

Thanks for letting me do some of my thinking out loud.

(I see there's one hour left on that auction, so I still have an opportunity to make a fool of myself.)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Yay! Yay! Yay!

Nobody bid on the auction. If it's relisted, I'll know for sure if I likey, and I shouldn't have a lot of competition.

SIDEBAR
    I noticed that Lucky Scent sent a "We have shipped" notice very shortly after I ordered. Things might be a little show at the shop these days.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Why not try it at Luckyscent for $3 along with a few other items? It really is a good one, this time. Not a waste of $.
    I did just that and my samples are on their way. Thanks for the suggestion.

I finally got to try the elusive Coup de Foudre and I simply cannot stand it. My husband, who has developed quite a noise for juice, concurs. I couldn't wait for it to calm down and this took over an hour. Before that, I can describe this perfume in two words, "Rose Cheesecake". Yes, Basenoters, it smells to me like cheap rose synthetics layered over warm cream cheese and buttered graham cracker crumbs.

To wipe away the memories of this nasty stuff, I've liberally applied Le Labo Rose 31 to erase the memory.

Blog Entries

It's a good thing you tried it first, then. I have decided it isn't unusual enough to warrant a purchase.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    … I can describe this perfume in two words, "Rose Cheesecake". Yes, Basenoters, it smells to me like cheap rose synthetics layered over warm cream cheese and buttered graham cracker crumbs.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    ...I can describe this perfume in two words, "Rose Cheesecake". Yes, Basenoters, it smells to me like cheap rose synthetics layered over warm cream cheese and buttered graham cracker crumbs.
    You say that like that's a BAD THING! :-) But I'm sniffing my sample right now, and can smell the butter and cream cheese you describe, although I couldn't have come up with that allusion on my own. I don't find the synthetic in the rose...

But, after repeated samplings I had to conclude: meh. The magic is just not working for me.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Does the stuff smell differently dried on paper? My strip still smells like fresh mountain air, greens and flowers — no alpine cows or their dairy products.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Does the stuff smell differently dried on paper? My strip still smells like fresh mountain air, greens and flowers — no alpine cows or their dairy products.
    The scent on paper is nothing like the scent on my skin. I also tried it on my husband's skin which is quite different in the way that perfumes react to it. We both practically tasted cream cheese and graham crackers. All the fresh greenery was gone and did not return through the drydown.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Argh! It said server busy, so I typed anew …
    Last edited by Quarry; 17th August 2010 at 06:26 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

My sample arrived, and I'm not getting cheesecake or graham crackers, but then my skin never turns anything toward the sweet. Sour, bitter, acrid, burnt — sure, but never sweet. And contrary to everyone else (per usual), I get too much rose.

I have CdF on one wrist and Fragonard Rose de Mai edt on the other. After more than an hour, the Fragonard is prettier by my standards, as it smells fresher. Of course, it doesn't contain real rose de mai, but I think it's a fair competitor to the Delrae product.
    Fragonard Rose de Mai (per Four Seasons): Around sweet-smelling Grasse roses blossom gardenia and violet, jasmine and wild lily of the valley, discreet against a backdrop of ylang-ylang and blackcurrant leaves.

I'm assuming the jasmine is sweetening my sour skin and the violet and LOTV notes are adding the fresh, green quality, and the blackcurrant's just seducing me again. But now we're wandering very much toward Diptyque's L'Ombre dans L'eau, which I like best of the three anyway.

i'm wearing my sample today. it was lemony rose for about an hour, now it's narciso rodriquez musk. it's veeeeeeeery strong, btw...i applied just a teense.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Welcome to posting, stellaglo! Keep talking, please.

Q, I've been meaning to post for a while about this. I've had two full wearings from my sample and although I don't get cheesecake or even a buttery feel from it, I don't get roses (or peonies or magnolia) either, which is rather disappointing. However, I find it to be a well-blended, elegant and radiant non-white (non-indolic) floral with an almost chypre-y green edge, but as 30 Roses reports, it's quite fleeting which is surprising because it seems so potent! I'm wanting to try it again in different weather hoping for different results, and I've certainly enjoyed it enough to have high hopes for future research, but I don't think it'll be going on my wishlist.

Blog Entries

l finally sampled this yesterday. On me it opens with a lemony rose which reminds me of Sheer Stella (2008 version), with the rose slowly becoming deeper & more velvety. Then 45 minutes in there's a really odd note which l can only describe as sweat, this has never happened to me before! Did anyone else get this? l could only detect it close up, but it was there! This scent lasted an incredible 8 hours on me, but there are other roses that l enjoy far more.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I tried this recently too, and described it as a 'bathroom soap rose'. It's not a bad scent and will certainly not offend anyone, though
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Agree with many others; this is a very nice rose scent, but unless the price is right, I can live without a FB.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Basenotes Plus

Today is my first day wearing Coup de Foudre for the entire day. I don't get any of the odd smells noticed by the others that have commented on this thread. I get fresh soft rose, brightened by citrus and peony. It does sit close to the skin, like the others have mentioned, but it's so nice that I find myself smelling my wrists quite often, maybe next time I'll give it an extra spritz. The price tag for a full bottle is pretty steep, but might be worth it to have a rose that actually works for me. We'll see how I feel once my sample is gone. So far it is "love at first sight" which is exactly what the name means.

I tried a sample and was underwhelmed. It just seemed like a light, lemony rose to me. For the price, I'd go for a big bottle of a good rose de mai absolute, gulab attar, or rose otto - more bang for the buck and almost certainly as good a rose scent.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

I tried this, too. It is a nice, pinkish rose, which starts almost fresh in the beginning. Then, it becomes softer and more powder-like. The drydown is sweet on my skin. In fact, the drydown strongly reminded me of Montale Roses Musk.