Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatos: Compliments, Longevity and Sillage

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122565.html

From the 104 reviews in the directory, only 5 are negative.
    And I have to agree: this stuff is pretty good.

It does seem to have low longevity and sillage however.
    When I smell my arm directly, I can smell it barely after 8 hours, and that is from 2 sprays from a sample.

Although I suspect that most people don't get whafts of it anymore after some hours because there nose is used to the scent.

So my questions are:
    What's your experience with John Varvatos, in terms of longevity and sillage?
    How many sprays do you use?
    Did you ever get complimented on it, several hours after application, when you couldn't smell it anymore?
    Last edited by Suppressor; 11th August 2010 at 09:35 PM.

Default Re: John Varvatos: Compliments, Longevity and Sillage

Average to above average longevity (6 hrs-ish)
    Slightly below average silage

Blog Entries

dos horas maximo

JV always comes to mind when I think of fragrances with temperamental longevity/sillage/projection. The projection makes it more of an intimate fragrance which is ok with me. The longevity being temperamental, meaning all over the place. Sometimes I get 2 hours, others I get 10.. this is regardless of weather conditions too. So it's hard to determine exactly why it does this to me. The scent itself though stands out from most everything else on the market today, which gets my approval.

Default John Varvatos: Compliments, Longevity and Sillage

I absolutely love the scent. However, the very poor longevity mixed with little projection makes it tough to really call a real winner. I actually emailed the company (I know, like it matters.... haha) just to tell them how much I liked the scent but had major problems with strength and longevity. I asked if they would consider a stronger version, EDP, or whatever. They said something about it being an interesting suggestion and they have passed it on up the ladder to see what could be done. Likely nothing will ever be done but I would be very happy if they made it WAYYY more potent!!

Blog Entries

Longevity is all over the map for me on this guy. Sometimes i wear 7 sprays and its dead in 2 hours, sometimes i wear 7 and i get absolutely decimated with the odor for the whole day, leaving me wondering how the hell to use it

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    JV always comes to mind when I think of fragrances with temperamental longevity/sillage/projection. The projection makes it more of an intimate fragrance which is ok with me. The longevity being temperamental, meaning all over the place. Sometimes I get 2 hours, others I get 10.. this is regardless of weather conditions too. So it's hard to determine exactly why it does this to me. The scent itself though stands out from most everything else on the market today, which gets my approval.
    I also get this temperamental longevity, which is why I am wondering if our noses don't get used to it.
    There are people in the reviews claiming it has good longevity and sillage on them. They might be applying half a bottle for each application, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    I absolutely love the scent. However, the very poor longevity mixed with little projection makes it tough to really call a real winner. I actually emailed the company (I know, like it matters.... haha) just to tell them how much I liked the scent but had major problems with strength and longevity. I asked if they would consider a stronger version, EDP, or whatever. They said something about it being an interesting suggestion and they have passed it on up the ladder to see what could be done. Likely nothing will ever be done but I would be very happy if they made it WAYYY more potent!!
    I think this could easily beat Le Male in terms of popularity and sales, if made more potent.
    I think this is a missed chance by Varvatos.

I tend to pretty much drown myself in JV to get decent longevity and sillage. I know, shame on me - I should know better. For me it is the only way to get anything out of this one. I have had some compliments from women at work and nobody has told me that I put too much on (they are not shy about that btw). Since it has showed up at the usual discount places for very cheap, I would find it on sale and use as many sprays as it takes to get the job done.

me too
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------