Code of Conduct

Default Masculine Neroli?

Today I sampled Czech & Speake Neroli. I think it's great!

My wife got a whiff, coughed, and said I smelled like a woman.

Yes, I do wear fragrance for myself, but my wife's opinion is important too. Perhaps I'll let my own preference trump her opinion in this case. We'll see. I can't afford a bottle at this point anyway...

The easy solution would be to have her wear it; however, she's not as into fragrances in general and especially not lately (minor, but persistent health issues).

Any suggestions for a more masculine Neroli-centric fragrance?

Default Re: Masculine Neroli?

Creed Neroli Sauvage, one of my all-time favorites.

Basenotes Institution

Profumum's Neroli.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Rochas Lui and Caron's L' Anarchiste.

DeepSilence

Fleur Du Male by JPG. Orange blossom/Neroli is in top. and worst thing about it, is top!
    Just i saw one person that he liked topnote. It's floral and i like it generally.

I think C&S is one of the best out there and more masculine than a lot of other straight neroli scents; definitely more masculine than Profumum's which has a feminine drydown imho (I don't get a lot of neroli from Creed NS).

My Neroli of choice is Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford. Amazing longevity, stretched out by the musk notes, I believe. It's sort of the ultra-luxe version of 4711.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    My Neroli of choice is Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford. Amazing longevity, stretched out by the musk notes, I believe. It's sort of the ultra-luxe version of 4711.
    I agree - in fact, the 1st time I smelled NP I think I described it as a luxury smelling 4711.

Creed Neroli Sauvage

Basenotes Plus

Another thumbs up for Neroli Sauvage.

C&S Neroli is really great. I personally love Le Labo Fleur d'Oranger, but I'm not going to tell you it's masculine.

For more masculine, I highly recommend MPG Jardin du Neroli.

Eau Pour Le Jeune Homme by MPG is a nice neroli scent with masculine wood basenotes. Oranges and Lemons Say the Bells of St. Clemens is also a nice neroli dominant scent but is more green in the base.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I absolutely agree. It's gorgeous.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Forget it. If Neroli has to be recognized in the overall character of the fragrance, it WILL interpret itself as feminine. That's been rooted in the perfume lexicon for ages.

The only way to change this perception is by ignoring it. Fleur du Male is a good attemp, though many maintain it's ultra femme.

another vote for MPG's Pour le Jeune Homme

Penhaligon's Castile is another favorite of mine (I'm a neroli-ho, I do declare)

all others mentioned are worth noting, I'd say, and you should check them out

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree - in fact, the 1st time I smelled NP I think I described it as a luxury smelling 4711.
    I remember you writing this.

I also like Creed Neroli Sauvage, but I would hesitate to call it a neroli fragrance, despite its name.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Try Neroli by L'Occitane de Provence.

This is a spicy neroli. As for "masculine," I think it is unisex. (Evidently it was reformulated, much to customer disappointment.)

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/neroli-e...m_vc=SearchRes

Top:
    Lychee and Plum

Middle:
    Neroli and Orange Blossom

Base:
    Sandalewood and Benzoin
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I shared C & S Neroli with a co-worker and she interpreted it as masculine. Ditto with Tom Ford's offering.

I think you will likely find varying interpretations; I bet that your wife will interpret most neroli dominant fragrances as feminine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Eau Pour Le Jeune Homme by MPG is a nice neroli scent with masculine wood basenotes. Oranges and Lemons Say the Bells of St. Clemens is also a nice neroli dominant scent but is more green in the base.
    The MPG and Creeds Neroli Sauvage. Basically any fragrance which attenuates the floral bloom of the neroli note with lots of complementary "masculine" notes like lemon and grapefruit in the case of Neroli Savage or spicy woods in the case of Jeune Homme.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Creed Neroli Sauvage, one of my all-time favorites.
    This would also be my choice!
    Gary

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Reconsidering, it does seem an impossible request to find a neroli-[I]centered[I] creation that's also masculine. Perhaps I can find a combination in which neroli plays a part...

However, I don't find C&S Neroli to be as feminine as my wife suggests. I guess there's always room for interpretation. I'll finish off my sample at the very least and keep my eyes open for others. I hope to find an inexpensive way to sample Neroli Portofino, since I've been impressed with the longevity of others in the line.

Thanks again.

I don't know if this would be 'neroli-centric' but neroli is a strong player in one that hasn't been mentioned yet,

Prada Amber pour Homme

Just got the chance to try Neroli Portofino and it's incredible! Now I've got two Neroli based ones that I really like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Red Hot View Post
    Just got the chance to try Neroli Portofino and it's incredible! Now I've got two Neroli based ones that I really like.
    Great! What did your wife think of it?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the question.

Probably Infusion D'Homme by Prada might be an option, but the preferred one would be Castile by Penhaligon's.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Cologne Sologne is a great neroli scent, it uses a lot of naturals, and it's an EDC so for both of those reasons it's not very long lasting, but while it lasts, it's definitely one of the best available. Castile is a really nice synthetic neroli, but just doesn't agree with me; I get a whopper of a headache from it.

I thinks CS Neroli is pretty strongly unisex with a slight leathery/tea note in the base. Very good orange flower nonetheless. Try Lorenzo Villoresi's Acqua di Colonia for an all natural neroli burst. Even Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille is quite nice, masculine, and cheap to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Great! What did your wife think of it?
    She prefers Neroli Portofino to C&S Neroli, but isn't wowed by it like I am (and I'm wowed by both).