Code of Conduct

Thread: Benzoin resin

Default Benzoin resin

Hi. I've been burning frankincense and myrrh resin in my room, which I've really enjoyed. I've wondered about adding some benzoin to the mix, but I haven't yet found a good source for it. I got the frankincense and myrrh from Neal's Yard. I've seen benzoin resin on eBay, but I've no idea of the quality of it. Can anyone recommend a source?
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Default Re: Benzoin resin

These guys have one of the best selections of aromatic resins I have seen. Good quality to. They've got a bunch of cheesy Hocus Pocus kinda junk but if you work threw all that they have a vast selection of resins and herbs.
    http://www.somaluna.com/cat/powder_r...se_gums_ac.asp
    Last edited by valkriz; 26th September 2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: I pretty much said the same thing 3 times.. they have a good selection!

Quote Originally Posted by valkriz View Post
    These guys have one of the best selections of aromatic resins I have seen. Good quality to. They've got a bunch of cheesy Hocus Pocus kinda junk but if you work threw all that they have a vast selection of resins and herbs.
    http://www.somaluna.com/cat/powder_r...se_gums_ac.asp
    I agree, soma luna has good stuff, their benzoin is good, kinda smells like typical stick incense to me but does go well with frankincense. Conversely, there are some terrible benzoin's lurking about. I bought some off Amazon, the worst, out of the bag smelled like musty clothes and burnt like bug spray.

IMO, you want to look for a somewhat clear colored benzoin if you want to burn it pure with frankincense and myrrh.
    The darker grades have their own uses, but often don't smell as bright.

Typically benzoin is sorted into grades, with grade 1 being the clearest tears, but suppliers often don't mention this, because top quality benzoin is hard to come by.

I've seen Indian benzoin powder cake that's made for burning and it's a nice yellow color; I wonder if it has a better scent for burning than the darker which I see is used a lot more for mosquito control, natural fumigant.