Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Favorite Fragrance: Why Is it Your Favorite?

Is it the notes? Is it memories? Does it hold some sentimental value? What is it that sets that certain fragrance apart from everything else?

I'm asking because I'm curious to see if there's a central concept of why certain fragrances become favorites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Favorite Fragrance: Why Is it Your Favorite?

For me Mitsouko by Guerlain is my favorite and became so from first sniff. There is a signature scent for everyone that revolves around your most favored genre. Just as one has a personal pheromone so is there also a complimentary fragrance, IMO. Signature scents say, in essence, this represents me; who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Is it the notes? Is it memories? Does it hold some sentimental value?
    A combination of all three.

Post Thanks / Like

My favourite fragrance (has been for a while now) is Hermes Bel Ami, because it fulfils all my criterias of what I demand of a good fragrance. I like fragrances which are elegant, refined, sophisticated, classy, manly, unique, spicy,oriental,woody, and long lasting with ok sillage.. All this I find in the fantastic Hermes Bel Ami!

DeepSilence

I like Santos De Cartier because it's Spicy also it has cool notes on itself. I found it classy scent that i can wear it everyday. I think it has a nice paradox on it`s notes.

My favourite fragrances are favourites because of the way they smell. When I wear them I keep on thinking "Mmmm, I smell sooo good." and keep on inhaling deeply.

Post Thanks / Like

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. My first niche fragrance I actually loved, this was not my first fragrance, but the only one so far that has not taken a couple wearings to get used to it.
    My parents being from the Caribbean, i have an infatuation with spices, especially cinnamon, and TV does sweet, spiced tobacco like i've never smelt before.
    Many fragrances have challenged TV as my favourite, Musc Ravageur has come the closest, but im so emotionally attached to TV, I cant fathom tthe fact that Musc Ravageur might be the better scent (i know it its!)
    Where MR is my mistress, my chick on the side, my hotel visit during my lunch hour, TV has my heart, its the one that will cook me something after a long hard day, the one that will iron my shirts, the one who still loves me even though I cheat on her sometimes, TV is my wife, the one i can never leave, while MR holds my lower regions, TV holds my heart

Post Thanks / Like

I don't dissect a scent down to its notes , I just react to it. Its the smell on a more "macro" level that I am either attracted to or not. Right now my favorite is LV Uomo; the uplifting aromatic nature is what I love with this fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brilliant explanation jlouismi!

For me my favourite depends on the season, so l'm going to have to pick two! For summer it's Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, my most successful blind buy ever, bought two years ago when l started on my gardenia craze. l've taken it with me on all my trips to Greece since then & it blooms on a warm summer night, l love the way it seems to hang in the air around me like a cloud of radiant, floral beauty, & l get lots of compliments on it. l feel gorgeous, elegant & classy wearing it.

For winter l need something deep, warm, mysterious yet comforting. Magie Noire ( original ) is far & away my fave for this, it's a woody/chypre/oriental with great sillage & longevity, & kind of expesses the darker side of me! lt was my first "grown up" scent, bought for me by my then boyfriend for my 18th birthday, many years ago. l recently got a vintage bottle off eBay & it's like coming home, this is the scent l was born to wear!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Brilliant explanation jlouismi!

For me my favourite depends on the season, so l'm going to have to pick two! For summer it's Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, my most successful blind buy ever, bought two years ago when l started on my gardenia craze. l've taken it with me on all my trips to Greece since then & it blooms on a warm summer night, l love the way it seems to hang in the air around me like a cloud of radiant, floral beauty, & l get lots of compliments on it. l feel gorgeous, elegant & classy wearing it.

For winter l need something deep, warm, mysterious yet comforting. Magie Noire ( original ) is far & away my fave for this, it's a woody/chypre/oriental with great sillage & longevity, & kind of expesses the darker side of me! lt was my first "grown up" scent, bought for me by my then boyfriend for my 18th birthday, many years ago. l recently got a vintage bottle off eBay & it's like coming home, this is the scent l was born to wear!
    Thanks! i get emotional about TV sometimes!

I forgot to mention, like you, TV was a blind buy, which in a way makes it all the more satisfying!

Post Thanks / Like

In my case, my personal favorite, namely Armani Eau pour Homme, is not just a combination of the three aforementioned factors, but also, in my opinion, the atmosphere of immense distinction, stylishness, class it conveys

I would have to say Habit Rouge. This is one that I reach for time after time. The citrus and leather, and the subtle vanilla is something I never tire of.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Ambre Precieux.

I love Amber, and it's one of the best out there. It's also a fragrance that come out the year I was born, and my aunt and mom have used it since my childhood so it evokes memory and emotions for me though I'd like them to stop using it now since it's my favorite xD

Joop Homme(women cannot ignore it), Sables and L'Eau D'Issey( i just personally love them).

A combination. But I can't say I have a single favorite that does it all. If I had to choose only one it would be Pour Un Homme de Caron because it has the most important factor for me: The comfort of my childhood memories.
    Therefore:
    Sentimental value and comfort of good memories: Pour Un Homme de Caron and Vetiver de Guerlain.
    Fantasies and evocation of certain moods: The vetiver note itself (my most favorite note).

DeepSilence

Sorry, double post...
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 28th May 2011 at 08:40 AM.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSilence View Post
    I like Santos De Cartier because it's Spicy also it has cool notes on itself. I found it classy scent that i can wear it everyday. I think it has a nice paradox on it`s notes.
    I said that?!
    I hate it now!

I like Orientals, but Santos is a exception.
    Now i can't mention just one fragrance. I like them, because i feel good with them. It depends my mood. Most of the time i used to prefer strong and dark fragrances. I like them yet, but now i look for a bit lighter fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Cuir de Russie - so beautiful I can hardly get enough of it. It's new to me, but it still somehow reminds me of something
    wonderful.. and for one that isn't new to me, Opium, the oil, I used to wear it, just a wee bit, it seemed to melt into me, and was perfect, I could smell it on my sweaters, and I'd go, aaah, what is that heavenly smell - ( now to track down Opium oil, not easy to do, for me anyway )

Cabaret by Gres. I found it in a discount bin, but it is special. It's loads of pink pepper on top followed by roses and incense forever. It's very dry, which I love, and it's not something most women know about or even wear, especially in my age group.

I think this should be in the Just Starting Out forum. In any case, my criteria are:

1. I like at least some of the dominant notes (and I don't dislike any dominant notes).
    2. It doesn't have a "synthetic" quality.
    3. It has at least some dynamism.
    4. It is at least reasonably complex.
    5. It has good "balance" (some note separation but also has a blended aspect, and no note is too strong).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Is it the notes? Is it memories? Does it hold some sentimental value? What is it that sets that certain fragrance apart from everything else?
    All of these contribute.

I have two kinds of favourite I suppose.

Mitsouko was the fragrance that got me into fragrances, and was a part of some important years of my life. I also feel at ease wearing it just about any time mood or occasion, and it smells good to me and on me. Lately though I've been wearing Mitsouko only a few times a year. It still holds a special place for me but it is more a favourite from my past, which will stay a favourite over the years if not always exciting me, than a current favourite.

Then I have whatever scent I'm enamoured with this month, which is usually an incense scent of some sort. I wore Angelique Encens pretty exclusively for a few months at one point. This kind of favourite is just about what smells good, makes me happy, and I crave.

I'm all over the place with fragrances, and will never have a signature scent, as I get bored and love the aspect of change and options.

But Chanel Bois des Iles is the closest thing for me. It is the combination of close wearing, personal experience, and the notes ring true to my personality. Femme and butch, masculine and feminine, pretty and handsome. These are the things that I love to play with. It is how I often love to smell. It transcends all expectations and just becomes a part of the wearer. And I love the history of this fragrance - the first feminine wood fragrance. How could I not resist.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I have many favorites but I guess two will always be a liitle extra special for sentimental reasons.
    Mitsouko
    Chanel No5

Cello - such a fab post re Bois des Iles. It is also becoming a favorite of mine.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My current fave is Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Her Oil. There is something so intimate about it...I really feel like it makes a safe little cloud place for me to inhabit. Not perfumey. It casts everything in this magical light for me...warm and twilighty...

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.