Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the venue for Lalique - Encre Noire?

I got two sample vials of it a few days ago, and I've been wearing it in the evening after I get home from work to try it out privately.... and its definitely interesting. It's in no way a "clean" fragrance, and while I normally don't like that, its somehow charming in this one. I don't dislike it at all, but I'm not sure exactly how much I do like it.

The problem is, I really don't see how it fits into my wardrobe - what sort of a venue would you wear it at? I could see an older gentleman, say his late 50's' or 60's pulling it off, but I'm at a loss for where it could fit into a younger person's life (I'm a 21 year old medical student)

Perhaps it just doesn't? Or am I overlooking it partially?
    My wanted thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265086 (currently in search of a bottle of Kiton Black)
    My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/270368

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's the venue for Lalique - Encre Noire?

I also sampled Encre Noire today for the first time. I accidentally over-applied since my atomizer wasn't working correctly, and it was entirely too strong on me. With that said, I totally get the dark, smokey, clean-earthen experience that was described for this fragrance.

On its own, I like the fragrance very much, but on my skin it wasn't giving me the excitement that I was hoping for. While I'm by no means a fragrance expert, I don't feel like the scent was very "old". The vetiver seems to cut through enough with its green freshness to keep it from being too dark. While I don't believe age matters in fragrance choice, if I had to put it into an age group from what I experienced, I'd probably put it around 28-37.

If you really enjoy it, wear it for yourself. You can't go wrong that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it's really only fitting for a man in the first three months of his 32nd year to wear to exhibits of abstract expressionist art. But if some people can wear it outside of that optimal scenario, more power to them!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like

This scent is very interesting. To me, it smells like a burning wood. Or like when you burn a wood, and you put out the fire. What's left of the charred wood is what this smells like. With that in mind, I can see myself wearing this for fall. The idea of autumn, brown leaves on the trees, falling on the ground, just makes this frag max out. But this is just me.

If you want to wear it during the hot weather, of course you can.

I wore it to the office about a week ago... I was in a 'mysterious' mood that morning when I picked my SOTD... and I wore a black shirt - fitting enough for me!

Post Thanks / Like

I already have Burberry London and John Varvatos for fall ware, and I'm planning on getting Kiton Black soon, which to me seems like more of a fall / winter fragrance. I'd be wearing KB for something more like black suit / black tie affairs, while BL and JV I use as more casual wear. I wish I could find a "niche" that Encre Noire would fit in...
    My wanted thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265086 (currently in search of a bottle of Kiton Black)

I feel horrible saying this but I thought I would mention after trying out Lalique EN again after a few years. I got a sampler about 2 years ago and really simply didn't care for it, for the first hour or so it smelled extremely acidic to me etc, so there it sat until I threw it out. I tried it again last weekend, and had the same experience. To tell you the truth, I found it a little gag inducing, as did my girlfriend. Especially with EN on one arm, Gurlien Vetvier on the other, EN almost smelled like Urine. I will concede however, after a few hours EN settled into something much less offensive, and really transformed. Not necessarily anything that I liked more than the initial, but better and something I could see people liking (but not myself).

I feel like I am alone on this one, as this is a much loved fragrance on here. To each their own right?!

As you stated your a med student, I would wear something a little more, how to say, subtle if I were you. More clean smelling such as Guerlin Vetvier, or Green Irish Tweed.

On an expedition. Preferably with cold weather.

The key to like EN is not overspray.. 1 or 2 sprays on chest is enough for me. To me its masculine signature scent for someone mature (lets say 27+), elegant, bit mysterious, unconventional with deep and strong personality. Jeans and t-shirt are as good as suit and tie to wear it... anytime and anywhere. You just have to be able pull it off. Its not for kids and blondes (j/k).
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Point Blank

You're really overthinking this. I think Encre Noire is best for formal/semi-formal evenings but I use it pretty much whenever I want to. I have better options for regular days in the office, but sometimes I wear it for casual friday, sometimes I wear it to a party or even a club, if I'm in that mood. Most people, if they get close enough to smell you might be like "hmm, that's a strange scent" and some will like it and some will dislike it. I can assure you that, unless they are overanalytical basenotes members, they will not think "what a moron, you're only supposed to wear Encre Noire to postmodernist art exhibitions granted that you're between 25-35".

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: What's the venue for Lalique - Encre Noire?

ENCRE NOIRE is my favourite vetiver scent and i use to wear it always i feel like to wear it and any occasion
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about when / where to use it. If you like it that much then you will find occasions to wear it. If you don't like it that much, then you probably shouldn't buy it.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

If you like it, wear it any place you want to. There are no "rules".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    If you like it, wear it any place you want to. There are no "rules".
    I don't think anyone ever said there were.

I think I smelled this on a hot chick today. I am not sure how unique this scent is though.
    Is there a female frag that is similar to EN?

Post Thanks / Like

Encre Noire is the latest addition to my frag collection. I really like this scent. It is very unique and dry. This scent has a calming, mysterious vibe to it. The earthy, smoky, inky notes are very interesting. I wear this whenever I want to smell it on myself, which is quite often as of late! There is no right or wrong time or place to wear it. I have noticed, that when worn in public, it seems to draw people near, for a closer whiff of it's unique beauty. Two sprays seems to be perfect for me. One shot to the neck and one to my inner elbow.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
    Great! Then we are all in agreement!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by daloon View Post
    I think I smelled this on a hot chick today. I am not sure how unique this scent is though.
    Is there a female frag that is similar to EN?
    could of possibly been Chanel Sycomore - very close to EN, but more round and full smelling, semi-sweeter and creamier.

Point Blank

Sure, I think it was just general advice not to get too rigid and narrow in categorizing fragrances. But I also agree to an extent - there are certainly fragrances that I wouldn't wear to a business meeting and there are fragrances that come across as "too old" to me. Encre Noire is not one of them - but I guess this is subjective. This is highly speculative but, in general, I think a few people find it to be smelling like an "old man" because they have a sensitive connection between vetiver and memories of older people and so basically any vetiver will give them that association, but most people will not, either because they haven't had that vetiver exposure or because the vetiver rendition in Encre Noire is untraditional.

Eh, don't worry Point Blank, your not alone - I agree to an extent, certain fragrances lean toward wearings under different circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

I find vetiver - even the most unusual renditions - to be one of the most versatile perfume categories. That includes EN.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post
    Eh, don't worry Point Blank, your not alone - I agree to an extent, certain fragrances lean toward wearings under different circumstances.
    I'm not worried? I was just responding to the thread starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think fragrances are "venue" oriented but they are definitely mood and personal enhancers. You can wear just about anything to any venue, but what about the venue inside your own skin? A fragrance can alter your mood or approach to yourself and how you feel and as a result they can affect how others see you. Encre Noir is a dark earthy fragrance that smells very much of roots and damp earth hidden in inky darkness. You wear this sort of thing when you want to add a gothic tone of darkness to yourself. Or maybe it will open the door to a clean no nonsense seriousness in mood. It's a mood creator rather than a venue enhancer. Encre Noir is like Batman at night, or a walk down the road less traveled - when you need it.

DeepSilence

I have a feeling like you. I like it, very unique, special. but i have dirty and uncomfortable sense with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Sure, I think it was just general advice not to get too rigid and narrow in categorizing fragrances.
    That sounds reasonable enough to me - I interpreted his post more literally than I should have

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    But I also agree to an extent - there are certainly fragrances that I wouldn't wear to a business meeting and there are fragrances that come across as "too old" to me. Encre Noire is not one of them - but I guess this is subjective. This is highly speculative but, in general, I think a few people find it to be smelling like an "old man" because they have a sensitive connection between vetiver and memories of older people and so basically any vetiver will give them that association, but most people will not, either because they haven't had that vetiver exposure or because the vetiver rendition in Encre Noire is untraditional.
    Could you explain in more detail exactly what vetiver is in regards to fragrances? I understand it's a plant, but that's about where my knowledge of it ends...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I don't think fragrances are "venue" oriented but they are definitely mood and personal enhancers. You can wear just about anything to any venue...
    I have to disagree, I there are appropriate and inappropriate fragrances for different purposes. When I know I'm going to be interacting with people in the hospital as a professional, I tend to wear Burberry Brit. It's calm, reserved, and proper. It would be incredibly unprofessional to smell like someone about to hit up a night club (say, with Armani Code) when listening to, caring for, or potentially even delivering bad news to a patient.

I understand that some fragrance aficionados here may want to believe that there's no problem with wearing any fragrance, any time, anywhere, but sadly that isn't always the case.
    Last edited by AlexbroPA; 13th August 2010 at 05:15 PM.

Point Blank

Could you explain in more detail exactly what vetiver is in regards to fragrances? I understand it's a plant, but that's about where my knowledge of it ends...
    Well, I can't claim that I know that much myself. It's a plant as you say, with a marked harsh, raw, grassy, rooty smell. There are many varieties of vetiver depending on source but the two most common are bourbon vetiver and haitian vetiver. I find the former to have a more clean and slightly sour smell than the latter.

You find vetiver in something like 80% of all men perfumes but mixed up in the base notes. From what I've gathered, vetiver used to play a more prominent role in men's perfume, with special fame going to Guerlain Vetiver from 1961. I guess vetiver gradually became less popular over time and that's why some people associate vetiver with their parents and some younger people with their grandparents and some younger people still have no association at all. It appears, however, that vetiver scents have had something of a renaissance lately with many modern renditions of the note, some of which you'll find on the department store shelves (e.g. Prada Infusion de Vetiver). Encre Noire belongs here as well.

I personally find it far-fetched that people would associate these modern renditions with older people. I think most people just perceive a fragrance as a unified scent - if you wear something from the 60's, e.g. Guerlain Vetiver, people might get that overall impression "smells old" but I find it far-fetched that they would single out the note in a modern composition and get the same impression. Some people might be extra-sensitive to the note, so I guess it could happen. I personally wear a modern vetiver to work without any worries - rather the opposite, I think it's quite distinguished - it's elegant, reserved and perfectly non-offensive. I'd be much more worried wearing 80's powerhouses that are frequently recommended here because they really had a clear up-and-down trend that cements that "dated" feeling and they are also very aggressive in style.

So, in general, I don't think you can categorize vetivers easily and say that they're good for this or that venue - it very much depends on the whole composition. Something military grade like Route du Vetiver, I'm actually quite clueless as when to wear, something more exotic like Vetiver Oriental is best for evenings etc. As for Encre Noire, again, I think it's optimal for formal/semi-formal evenings, but I wear it casually both day and night, but I avoid daytime formal occasions (not because of the vetiver per se but because of the whole composition which is very dark).

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

^ Yep, think raw greenness, with varying overtones of dirt.

Also, re: people thinking fragrances smell "old" - most of the time, it will not cross most peoples' minds to label a scent "old" if a younger person is wearing it with confidence, and not giving the slightest hint that their fragrance selection might be out of the ordinary.

Perception is reality, and given two opposing pieces of information (and "old" scent and a "young" person), the more obvious information (the person visually being young) will usually dominate.

So then, if you are young, wear vetivers with gusto. And if you're older, wear Acqua di Gio and board shorts.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."