Code of Conduct

Thread: Masculine Frags

Blog Entries

Default Masculine Frags

A Question for the Lovely Ladies of Basenotes (and not so lovely ones as well. Don't want to leave anyone out!)

No, it's not the age-old "which male fragrance do you like best?" question.

I've been thinking a lot about masculine frags lately most likely due to the idea that by the time my four year old sons are ready to foray proper into the fragrance world, there will be nothing left on the market that hasn't been either been watered down to wisps of what they were or discontinued altogether. I'm also banking on nothing good being released in the next ten years. A slightly pessimistic view I know ... xD

So anyway, I was wondering which men's fragrances you lovelies like to WEAR as opposed to like smelling on your men.

I love Givenchy Gentleman but could not possible wear it. Close up and personal it's way too much for me. There are too many to mention in this category for me ...

The ones I happily wear are:

Vetiver Guerlain
    Habit Rouge EdT
    Dior Homme
    Bvlgari pour Homme (stupid aldehydes >.>)
    Obsession for Men
    and I would wear Ultrared if I owned it - though that's supremely feminine to me so that's kinda cheating.

Admittedly I don't wear most of them regularly and I wear them for differing reasons but I would probably be lost without Vetiver and Dior Homme specifically.

Which, if any, do you wear?
    What's your take on wearing them yourself?
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

Default Re: Masculine Frags

( it would be great to smell a woman wearing "Arpège pour homme " de Lanvin ..)

Off the top of my head:

Aramis
    Chanel Égoïste
    Eau Noire
    Terre d'Hermés
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man
    Cumming
    Creed Original Vetiver

I tend to prefer fragrances that are fairly gender neutral, as I see it - girly florals are not my cup of tea, neither are raspy fougéres, and I don't really bother much about whether fragrances are marked as masculines, feminines or unisex. If I like it, I like it.
    Last edited by Pimpinett; 13th August 2010 at 07:11 AM.

I only know a handful of fragrances marketed for men. Of the very few I know I own and happily wear:

Chanel Egoiste and Egoiste Platinum
    Chanel Antaeus
    Balmain de Balmain

I find very interesting when women wear "man's" scents or at least scents marketed for men.

I have found the following fragrances can be very beautiful on a woman's skin: (and i agree with most of the scents posted before)

Rose d'Homme by Les Parfums de Rosine

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Dior Homme by Dior

Duel by A. Goutal

Black by Bvlgari
    (allegedly it's unisex but most often than not, you'll find it on the men's side)

basically any Vetiver fragrance (ever wondered why some houses released a "vetiver for her" later on?: women kept using the men's vetiver scents for ages. It happened with Guerlain's and with Lalique's Encre Noir)

cheers!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I find very interesting when women wear "man's" scents or at least scents marketed for men.
    I suppose I should have specified the underlined castor(or pollux!) ... scents are scents after all. I just thought it was a given around here. /sweat

I have gone through a couple of bottles of Bvlgari Black (and recently rescued another from a bargain bin!) but didn't mention it because it's officially unisex. So that's cheating! :P I love Dior Homme and when I don't feel like wearing it myself I put it on my husband. xD

I will look into the other scents mentioned, especially Egoiste as I've heard it's very similar to Coco which in turn is very similar to Bois des Iles, both of which I adore.

I got this small pack of Avon sample vials once and hated everything except this one that had no packaging - on closer inspection I discovered it was Ironman which made me laugh. It was the only vial I finished, the rest I gave away after one tiny test each. And maybe one tiny gag each too.

Sometimes I feel uncomfortable wearing a male marketed frag (there!) particularly in more conservative situations but wonder if it's just my own prejudice that colours this feeling.

I wish to go back to the days when fragrances were not marketed to either gender then I would be able to tell if my responses were 100% genuine or not! *looks for a time machine*
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

Another one here for Dior Homme. I don't own it, have only tried a sample, but I would wear it. I've also worn my husband's Obsession, Grey Flannel, Antaeus, and my stepfather's Terre D'Hermes and Equipage. I only occasionally wear these as a break from my usual girly stuff that I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    *looks for a time machine*
    Hop in...

Dior Homme is a regular for me. And I am just starting to explore the "men's" fragrances more and more. Most of my wardrobe is pretty solidly unisex, as that is what I prefer, so I imagine I would like some of the masculines.
    Last edited by cello; 13th August 2010 at 05:13 PM.

I've been wearing Égoïste since 1990.

I also love A*Men, Bel Ami, Douro, Knize Ten, Live Jazz, New York, Rose d'Homme, Twill Rose, Vétiver (Annick Goutal & Carven), Vintage Tabarome, Yohji Homme...
    Last edited by tigrushka; 15th August 2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added scents
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

A Question for the Lovely Ladies of Basenotes (and not so lovely ones as well. Don't want to leave anyone out!)

No, it's not the age-old "which male fragrance do you like best?" question.

I've been thinking a lot about masculine frags lately most likely due to the idea that by the time my four year old sons are ready to foray proper into the fragrance world, there will be nothing left on the market that hasn't been either been watered down to wisps of what they were or discontinued altogether. I'm also banking on nothing good being released in the next ten years. A slightly pessimistic view I know ... xD

So anyway, I was wondering which men's fragrances you lovelies like to WEAR as opposed to like smelling on your men.

I love Givenchy Gentleman but could not possible wear it. Close up and personal it's way too much for me. There are too many to mention in this category for me ...

The ones I happily wear are:

Vetiver Guerlain
    Habit Rouge EdT
    Dior Homme
    Bvlgari pour Homme (stupid aldehydes >.>)
    Obsession for Men
    and I would wear Ultrared if I owned it - though that's supremely feminine to me so that's kinda cheating.

Admittedly I don't wear most of them regularly and I wear them for differing reasons but I would probably be lost without Vetiver and Dior Homme specifically.

Which, if any, do you wear?
    What's your take on wearing them yourself?
    Kai, if you like Ultrared pour Homme, I think that you`ll enjoy a lot the new nina, nina le paradis or something like that. It`s quite similar to the overall aura of ultrared, but with less patchouly and with a mouthwatering almond note

My sister likes to wear my Dior Homme sometimes, and it smells great on her. Egoiste was also perfect on her skin.

I`d add to the list of the fragrance mentioned, Amen Pure Malt, especially for ladies that enjoy boozy frags.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I only occasionally wear these as a break from my usual girly stuff that I love.
    Yeah that's where I'm coming from lilybelle. I wear predominately *traditionally* feminine scents and wear the unisex/masculines less commonly.

Thank you for the time machine! Now I can go back to a time when housewives were glamorous!

I can hear my mother laughing from here ... >.>

Blog Entries

rickbr
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    I'm not keen on Nina and have not tried le Paradis. It's actually the patchouli on all that fruity boiled sweet I like about Ultrared for Man. I don't own it because I have a sweet fruity already, I'm just saying if someone else in the house owned it I would use it. Same with the male Black XS which I think is better than the female one, just not bottle worthy.

I'm not really looking for suggestions here though (as welcome as they are), I wanted a take on why, when, how and whatfor.

So far it sounds like women use male marketed frags for a break (and we can't go without can we? ) or because they're drawn to unisex/male in the first place.

I sorta wanted to hear from women who wouldn't wear a male marketed frag if their lives depended on it too ... Lol I know many men that are that way - maybe not around here but hey.

I use YSL Opium EDP /edt mens -the edp was my first opium .I also like and own Pierre Cardin AS,and something from brazil called KA'aty very almost icy-cold patchouli .I have others Ransom,Corduroy that I'm not really fond-hold on-gave my Dad the Corduroy .His opinion "It's okay nothing special."Ransom -instant scrubber for him.Back to the drawer for Ransom which isn't bad on recent sniff .
    Avon does and did make some nice fragrances. I have Spicy,Leather, and Fielders Choice.

Oh I forgot .. I plan to get several of the Ralph Lauren mens and Pi and Chanel and Guerlain and Bulgari mens .And another thing -Quarum -excellent leather -I Love it! Now I need to try the Aramis line too!

Oh how I love to wear the men's fragrances. Here are some of my favs:
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Crown Eau de Quinine
    Crown Eau de Russe
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Creed Chevrefeuille
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Amouage Jubilation XXV for Men
    ...and more.

I'm considering Thierry Mugler Cologne for my next purchase.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Hillaire

Here are some of my faves:

Rochas Man
    Escada Magnetism
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin
    PdN : New York, Baladin, Nicolai Pour Homme, Patchouli Pour Homme
    Chanel: Egoiste Platinum, Pour Monsieur
    Guerlain: Habit Rouge, Heritage, DERBY DERBY DERBY!
    YSL: Rive Gauche PH, YSL PH, Jazz Prestige
    Signoricci 2
    Penhaligon: Endymion, Douro
    Balmain: Ebene, Balman
    Lubin Idole
    Amouage: Ciel Man, Gold Man, Silver Cologne, Reflection Man
    Helmut Lang: Cuiron, EDC
    Jil Sander: Feeling Man, Sander for Men
    Bogner Deep Woods
    Paco Rabanne Tenere
    Bvlgari Black
    Cacharel Nemo
    Rochas Globe
    Joop: Nightflight, Rococo

And not my faves, but very suitable for women:
    Salvador Dali PH
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
    Last edited by Hillaire; 15th August 2010 at 06:35 AM.

I'm not really looking for suggestions here though (as welcome as they are), I wanted a take on why, when, how and whatfor.

I sorta wanted to hear from women who wouldn't wear a male marketed frag if their lives depended on it too ... Lol I know many men that are that way - maybe not around here but hey.
    I wear them simply because I like them. Same goes to all scents I wear, were they labelled men's, women's or unisex.

Some women who are shocked and outraged about the mere idea of wearing men's scents ("NEVER! I'm so feminine I possibly couldn't!"), might wear them unknowingly: I remember one big fan of L'Artisan Voleur de Roses and MPG Ambre Précieux who was stunned to learn that she had been happily wearing men's scents....

None so far, only a unisex fragrance like Yardley English Lavender. I have tested very few scents marketed for men. One I have tested is New York from Nicolaï. I have thougt that I proparbly will buy it one day and if I'll wear it it's because of a smell that I like and that I would like to get a break from my more sweet scents with something more dry. It has another carachter and I don't like to always smell like a soft feminine creature. Egoiste I suppose I would like on my skin. I have tested it on paper strip and bought it for my daughter's boyfriend.

Blog Entries

bookwyrmsmith! I should buy the Opium for men EdT! I like that as well but don't own it. I find the EdP a little too rich on the clove (or is it cinnamon?) but I do like to spritz the EdT when I spy a bottle. Better get one before all the new L'Oreal versions take over ...

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    I remember one big fan of L'Artisan Voleur de Roses and MPG Ambre Précieux who was stunned to learn that she had been happily wearing men's scents....
    This made me laugh tigrushka! Did she change her mind about the frags?

I sent a male friend in the states a vial of Cabochard because he said he'd never smelled anything leather and he really enjoyed it ... till I told him it was marketed to women ... then he said "oh well yeah ok I can see that now - I wont wear that then" which I still rib him about to this day.

I guess he doesn't want anyone to stop him and say "HEY! You smell like my mother!" xD

This made me laugh tigrushka! Did she change her mind about the frags?
    No, she didn't. She just got less vocal about her "incapability" to wear scents marketed for men.

Blog Entries

Lol nice.
    I suppose it's a little different the other way around - I still call my bud a wimp though.
    I might be able to shame him into using it again.

Yeah that's where I'm coming from lilybelle. I wear predominately *traditionally* feminine scents and wear the unisex/masculines less commonly.

Thank you for the time machine! Now I can go back to a time when housewives were glamorous!

I can hear my mother laughing from here ... >.>
    Oh, that one's a Stepford Wife for sure!