Code of Conduct

Default Eau de Gloire vs. Monocle 2:Laurel

I'm trying Parfum d'Empire's Eau de Gloire today, and I'm struck at its similarity to Comme des Garcon's Monocle 2: Laurel. Both have a very dusky herbal-green note. In the Monocle scent, it obviously is laurel, also known as bay leaf. In Eau de Gloire, this seems to be coming from the mid-notes of anise and licorice, probably framed by rosemary at the top and tobacco & olibanum in the base. Gloire also boasts of conveying the "Corsican maquis" (a zone of scrubby plants, a synonym for garrigue).
    I'd say that those who find Monocle Laurel a little too powerful and monolithic should check out Gloire. The latter is arguably more complex, rounder and smoother -- yet still delivers a special scrubby-herbal note which I find very pleasing.
    I wonder if others have noticed this similarity... or see other scents in this style.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Eau de Gloire vs. Monocle 2:Laurel

I have never smelled Eau de Glorie. Although I love Scent Two: Laurel's powerfulness.

Is EdG sweeter Ody?

Hi mike, I know you are a big fan of Laurel. I don't find EdG to be sweet at all. It does have leather and tobacco leaf notes. Normally I'm not a particular fan of these, but here I find them to be subdued, background, and not adding any heavy sweetness. EdG is a pretty good scent. As much as I like Laurel, I think I may find Gloire to be the more bottle-worthy of the two. Its complexity and restraint suit me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

Sounds like EdG is leaning more towards a typical eaux-cologne style, whereas the Monocle x CdG is much more of a straight up fougere.

I sure do wish the STL came in a shower gel.

Just thought I'd chime in as somebody who has been a fan of Eau de Gloire for a while and has always wondered why it gets ignored on basenotes while folks talk so much about a few of the other ones from Parfums d'Empire. I've tried CdG Laurel but I'll have to try it again to see if I get the connection odysseusm is seeing. I wouldn't really say EdG is "leaning more toward a traditional eaux-cologne style" though, Mike. It has virtually no citrus and it lasts 12+ hours on me. You should give it a try!

I'll second the comments of Tonyprince. Gloire has no citrus that I can detect, and is different in style from a traditional EdC. It really is very similar in style and character to Laurel, just smoother and arguably more complex. But it has the same dusky-herbal vibe, and a pretty good power.
    odysseusm

I'm sorry Ody, by I find absolutely zero similarity between the two. Perhaps in style you could draw some connections, but I find Monocle 2 to be very dry, very spicy and IMO similar to French Lover. Eau de Gloire, again IMO, is actually ever so slightly sweetened, perhaps from the tobacco? But either way, I do get some herbs from Eau de Gloire too, but it's lavender and rosemary primarily but I don't get any of that from Laurel, just pepper and bay.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 15th August 2010 at 05:02 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Interesting comments, mtgprox5. Ultimately it is totally subjective and based on reactions to one's own skin.
    Agreed that Monocle 2 is very dry, uber-dry.
    Agreed that Gloire is somewhat less dry, less "harsh" and demanding. But I hesitate to call it sweet. I have zero tolerance for sweet and yet I like Gloire. You say slightly sweetened and I am on board with that, and likely it is the tobacco.
    I find French Lover aka Bois D'Orage to be much more incense/resinous than Gloire. Don't get an incense note in Gloire, might get a resin note if I work it.. Again, FL is as dry as Monocle 2, drier than Gloire. I love dry scents but I can find room for Gloire in my repertoire.
    Glad you get some herbs from Gloire. But what amazed me was not just that it registered a general "herbal" note for me, but that it did in fact check in with a note very, very similar to Laurel. I can't explain that but I did detect it.
    You guys are making me think hard about this scent, and I appreciate that! Cheers, here's to further comments...
    odysseusm

OK. I have both of these on now and I'm trying to find the similarity between the two besides that they both have an herbal quality. I think that EdG is much more complex and changeable. I get wafts of all sorts of things from EdG (tobacco, tea, incense, herbs of various kinds) whereas Laurel is more stable and linear. Every once in a while a get a whiff of something that adds a slightly mentholated quality to both scents. Could this be what you're talking about, Odyssdeusm?

Could be mentholated, that is an accurate label. Also something that is dusky-tangy, like celery leaves. Anise/licorice in Gloire, but if that moves closer to fennel, then that captures what I get in Gloire. And fennel fronds smell somewhat similar to bay leaf, at least to me...
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Could be mentholated, that is an accurate label. Also something that is dusky-tangy, like celery leaves. Anise/licorice in Gloire, but if that moves closer to fennel, then that captures what I get in Gloire. And fennel fronds smell somewhat similar to bay leaf, at least to me...
    Yes, yes, yes. I totally agree. You're much better at describing fragrances than I am.

One thing I think may have caused some guys on basenotes to ignore this one is that it is mistakenly listed as a feminine fragrance in the directory, which is totally inaccurate.

Hey Tonyprince, thanks for the comment. I'm glad my description rang true for you. That's a reality check for my analysis! And yeah, there are many scents inaccurately gender-labeled here. Nothing at all "feminine" about Gloire.
    Cheers, ody
    odysseusm

I've never smelled Eau de Gloire, and this thread makes me want to try it.

But has there ever been a scent that smelled less like you'd expect based on the color of the juice?!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Colour is a funny thing. As long as it isn't blue (aquatic) or red (spicy) I don't have any expectations. Often, a very green-smelling scent will be a relatively clear colour.
    Do check out Gloire, it is pretty good.
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

Ody - is EdG at all like Alt Innsbruck Cologne? They both seem to share that herbal, cool, tobacco description. I loved AI when I tried it...it's on my To Buy list.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ody - is EdG at all like Alt Innsbruck Cologne? They both seem to share that herbal, cool, tobacco description. I loved AI when I tried it...it's on my To Buy list.
    mike, I don't know because I've never tried Alt Innsbruck. I do remember that Innsbruck is supposed to have a very natural and straight-forward tobacco leaf note. Whereas I wouldn't say that Gloire has a dominant note of tobacco. Gloire is a complex scent and tobacco is a minor element in that mix.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Colour is a funny thing. As long as it isn't blue (aquatic) or red (spicy) I don't have any expectations. Often, a very green-smelling scent will be a relatively clear colour.
    Do check out Gloire, it is pretty good.
    Oh, I've never seen a bottle in real life, but the juice looks quite blue in all the pictures I've seen. I make the same associations as you with blue juice. Not to worry -- I'm eager to try it!

Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

That is an interesting picture, PaulSc. I'm working off a sample I got at Les Senteurs and the juice is clear. The colour in the picture you've provided is a pretty blue-green, I'd like to dive into a pool with that colour.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Oh, I've never seen a bottle in real life, but the juice looks quite blue in all the pictures I've seen. I make the same associations as you with blue juice. Not to worry -- I'm eager to try it!

That pic is a pretty accurate representation of the blue-green color of the actual juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    That pic is a pretty accurate representation of the blue-green color of the actual juice.
    Again, interesting! I've looked carefully at my "official" sample (printed name on the vial and in a printed box) and it is a very light, slightly cloudy green. Perhaps because of the small amount the blue doesn't register.
    odysseusm