Code of Conduct

Default Impressions of Calvin by Calvin Klein

Hey guys:

I've been giving my mini of Calvin by Calvin Klein a good sniffing for the first time. I don't know for sure if it's the original 80s version or the relaunch in the 1990s. Anyway,
    it has this primal leather musk vibe to my nose. I don't see myself being too inspired to wear it often, not so much because it stinks, but because it is so old school and different from the current crop of frags on the market. However, I see this being an interesting frag for experimentation as a layering frag. I haven't been doing this, but I thought maybe this would smell cool with some Kenzo Power or Dior Homme. I don't wear those either, as I see them as excessively feminine. So, has anyone ever layered Calvin with anything? I bet that you could maybe approach something close to Cuir Ottoman if you had the patience and some good luck.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Impressions of Calvin by Calvin Klein

I love it all by itself. I think it is the BEST Calvin Klein masculine, except for vintage (pre-reformulation) Obsession for Men.

It has a velvety, soft, brown-ish feel to it that makes me feel a bit wistful and sad when I wear it (like vintage Equipage by Hermes).

It was my signature scent during my college years. (The only time I've had, or wanted, a signature scent.)

Unfortunately the original formulation is impossible to find and the late-90s version no longer thrills me. I was going to suggest it on the recent "masculine neroli" thread, but I didn't click the "Post" button.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Sur la Plage

I think it is THE BEST Calvin Klein fragrance - period. It should not be tainted with other fragrances IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think it is THE BEST Calvin Klein fragrance - period. It should not be tainted with other fragrances IMO.
    My thoughts as well.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I just find that many of today's popular frags are very metro and feminine smelling. Something old school like Calvin may not fit in too well nowadays.

A year or two ago, I hunted a couple of vintage bottles down after I read on the board that it was a nice fragrance. However when I tested it, I realized it wasn't quite for me. There was a discordant note in it that repelled me. Ever since I have never even looked at my bottles of Calvin.

I have 2 bottles of original formulation Calvin that I am willing to let go off at nominal price. If anyone is seeking the preformulation bottles, please PM me.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I just find that many of today's popular frags are very metro and feminine smelling. Something old school like Calvin may not fit in too well nowadays.
    I guess that is why I am somewhat of a non-conformist.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread