Code of Conduct

Default Critique My Wardrobe!

How's it going everyone! I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on what they think my wardrobe is lacking. I've really only collected things that I like without relation to certain types of scents but wanted to hear suggestions on how I can bolster my wardrobe....

Without further ado:

Full Bottles:
    - Musc Ravageur
    - Muscs Koublai Khan
    - Body Kouros
    - L'Instant de Guerlain
    - A*Men Pure Malt
    - M7 Fresh
    - Kenzo Power
    - Silver Mountain Water
    - Aventus (1 oz)

En-route:
    - Windsor
    - Fleur du Male (amazon sent me cologne by accident, trying to get the toilette)

Samples:
    - Tobacco Vanille
    - All Frederick Malle's
    - Chergui among other SL's

So what would you suggest I grab next and in what aspect do you believe that I am lacking? Thanks for the help guys!
    Last edited by cubs1987; 14th August 2010 at 09:51 PM.
    Working on updating my cologne wardrobe!

Favorite House: Editions de Parfum de Frederick Malle

Default Re: Critique My Wardrobe!

Shit hawt , looks right up my alley and thats no bad thang

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

You seem to favor gourmand or sweeter frags. If you like certain types of scents than I don't see what the problem is. But if it suits your taste, a mossy chypre, a leather oriental and perhaps a couple of florals (green floral or iris) would round up your wardrobe nicely. Other than Musc Ravageur, do you enjoy any other scents from Frederic Malle?

Get some nice vetiver like Encre Noire.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Get some nice vetiver like Encre Noire.
    Have to agree with that.

Seems like you already spent enough! Seriously, why do you think you need more? And if you do, where will it all end? Perhaps you should just buy a huge number of samples and take your time (my guess is that you can afford them). Eventually, you will sort out what you like and don't. For example, I now understand that I have a problem with "hard" notes, such as cedar, oud, licorice, and vetiver. I can handle the vetiver in M; Men, for instance, but that's as far as I can go. I may swap/sell my M7 because I just can't seem to appreciate these "unbending" types of notes. It took me a while to understand this, and if I had spent a lot of money on frags with such dominant notes, I know I would not be very happy about it now !

So what would you suggest I grab next and in what aspect do you believe that I am lacking?
    You're never lacking if you tastefully fulfill your desires.

I think this goes back to one's personal reasons ("philosophy") for this great endeavor. If you simply are a "collector" with either a.) love for most fragrances, or b.) indifference to most, but collect for collection's sake, then I gently suggest rounding out your choices with classic/masterpieces of each category (oriental, chypre, aquatic, etc.), thus you will have a nice representation of each. This is a fairly reasonable approach, I believe.

My input: Green Irish Tweed & Aqua di Gio. Classic masterpieces from, not quite, edges of a spectrum/bell curve: niche, designer, widely loved, widely worn*, not widely worn*

*depends on perspective

The main problem is that you don't own any Creeds. Joking, ofcourse. It's small and nice and I have to agree with Bigsly.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I'd buy a full bottle of Tom Ford's TV

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    The main problem is that you don't own any Creeds. Joking, ofcourse. It's small and nice and I have to agree with Bigsly.
    I think I am pretty much there with the frags that I love, except for Narisco Rogriguez (had a sample and got addicted wearing it to work). With the Creeds, I picked the ones that I liked the best out of their line and it just kinda happened that I now have 2 (w/ one on the way). Damn Creed snuck up on me and I didn't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    You seem to favor gourmand or sweeter frags. If you like certain types of scents than I don't see what the problem is. But if it suits your taste, a mossy chypre, a leather oriental and perhaps a couple of florals (green floral or iris) would round up your wardrobe nicely. Other than Musc Ravageur, do you enjoy any other scents from Frederic Malle?
    Ya i do favor the sweeter/gourmand frags. Of the other FM's that I like, Bois d'Orage, Geranium Pour Monsieur and Noir Epices. Was not a huge fan of Vetiver Extraordinaire. I was thinking I might like a leather once in awhile for work, interviews, or something along those lines. As for florals I have Kenzo Power and thought I ordered Fleur du Male EDT but amazon sent me the EDC...

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    I'd buy a full bottle of Tom Ford's TV
    I was VERY impressed with this. I really favor the long lasting frags, as well as sweet ones, and this one fills both bills. My decant will hold me over for a long time and may have to pick some up down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    You're never lacking if you tastefully fulfill your desires.

I think this goes back to one's personal reasons ("philosophy") for this great endeavor. If you simply are a "collector" with either a.) love for most fragrances, or b.) indifference to most, but collect for collection's sake, then I gently suggest rounding out your choices with classic/masterpieces of each category (oriental, chypre, aquatic, etc.), thus you will have a nice representation of each. This is a fairly reasonable approach, I believe.

My input: Green Irish Tweed & Aqua di Gio. Classic masterpieces from, not quite, edges of a spectrum/bell curve: niche, designer, widely loved, widely worn*, not widely worn*

*depends on perspective
    I guess I should have posed the question what ppl think I would like based upon my wardrobe, etc. I do have a sample of GIT so that I can appreciate it, but I don't think I would find myself wearing GIT of ADG very often (I try to wear everything I own, not just collect) as I have smelled both so often, I don't think I an handle them anymore.

Sur la Plage

Maybe try:

Bond No 9 New Haarlem
    Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It looks to me like you've already got a nice collection. You do tend to be heavy on sweet or gourmand scents, but I don't mean that in a bad way. That's what you like.

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme EdT or EdP would fit in there nicely. The EdT is lightly gourmand. The EdP is bit more of a gourmand cocoa scent. New Haarlem you'd probably like as well. Penhaligons Enydmion too.

Outside of those, not sure what to suggest. I see you liked Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Since you made note of leather, TF Tuscan Leather might also catch your fancy. It's primarily a leather scent, but it has a little bit of a raspberry thing happening that could hold your interest.

you are a gourmand machine! lol lets put some strong masculine frags in there like bois du portugal,tuscan leather, green irish tweed, and some fresh frags like azure lime and millesime imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    you are a gourmand machine! lol lets put some strong masculine frags in there like bois du portugal,tuscan leather, green irish tweed, and some fresh frags like azure lime and millesime imperial.
    haha ya I do like the gourmands, as evident in my wardrobe... I actually am interested in trying BDP and tuscan leather, as I have not smelled either. GIT is nice but I don't know if its FBW for me. Do you think I need MI if I already have Unforgivable? I don't wear it much and just spray it sometimes at home (didn't even list it because got this pre-basenotes)...

I really like your collection, it's going well.
    I see you have some orientals ambery-spicy frags, why don't you give Emporio Armani Night for men a try?

also i think you might like Tom Ford's Bois Marroccain
    Black jeans by Versace,
    Fahrenheit
    Habit Rouge,
    versace's The Dreamer,
    Escada pour homme,
    lagerfeld's Jako,
    rochas Man,
    lolita lempicka PH,
    obsession For Men
    ...there's many more...

what i don't see a lot are fresh-woodsy-ambery scents from the fourgère category nor do i see a lot of classic chypres in the leathery-woodsy-citrus subcategories.

it's always good to go back to the classics and venture into them just to try and build an olfactory memory and genealogy of sorts so we can all appreciate what's good nowadays and how can we compare it to older formulas.

Yeah. Habit Rouge is a quirky old school scent that might strike a chord with cubs....

Burberry London

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I really like your collection, it's going well.
    I see you have some orientals ambery-spicy frags, why don't you give Emporio Armani Night for men a try?

also i think you might like Tom Ford's Bois Marroccain
    Black jeans by Versace,
    Fahrenheit
    Habit Rouge,
    versace's The Dreamer,
    Escada pour homme,
    lagerfeld's Jako,
    rochas Man,
    lolita lempicka PH,
    obsession For Men
    ...there's many more...

what i don't see a lot are fresh-woodsy-ambery scents from the fourgère category nor do i see a lot of classic chypres in the leathery-woodsy-citrus subcategories.

it's always good to go back to the classics and venture into them just to try and build an olfactory memory and genealogy of sorts so we can all appreciate what's good nowadays and how can we compare it to older formulas.
    You actually named a couple that I do like, namely rochas and Lolita (again with the gourmands I know...). I guess for the chypres types, I haven't really found one or really, I haven't been looking. I will have to try and sample the Armani Night, and have been on the lookout for The Dreamer by me but have yet to find it (prolly have to go online to sample). Any suggestions for the woodsy chypre type? I have tried Timbuktu by L'Artisan and liked it, although haven't worn it in a month or so; I may have to revisit it again now.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Yeah. Habit Rouge is a quirky old school scent that might strike a chord with cubs....
    Hmmm I keep seeing this one pop up on the forums (strong lurker here) but never gave it a shot. I may have to...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Burberry London
    I just got a mini of this at Nordstrom Rack! I've only worn it once and felt it would best be for the fall (just get that image in my head I guess). I also found it somewhat similar to Tea for Two. Anyone else get this?

Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by cubs1987 View Post
    haha ya I do like the gourmands, as evident in my wardrobe... I actually am interested in trying BDP and tuscan leather, as I have not smelled either. GIT is nice but I don't know if its FBW for me. Do you think I need MI if I already have Unforgivable? I don't wear it much and just spray it sometimes at home (didn't even list it because got this pre-basenotes)...
    skip it for now but definitely keep it in mind, sample it for sure.

Hmmm I keep seeing this one pop up on the forums (strong lurker here) but never gave it a shot. I may have to...
    Habit Rouge is not as polarizing as Kouros, but it can totally miss for many people. While it is likely a pretty good selling scent in the big scheme, it's not all that commonly worn I would hazard. It's got a kind of vanilla and leather vibe that is quite distinct, and a bit distinguished IMO.

Sorry, missed you already have L'Instant in earlier post. But you might want to check out he EdP version. Similar, but more gourmand.

It looks like a perfect collection. You own scents for most occasions and seasons. You should be very satisfied with it!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    skip it for now but definitely keep it in mind, sample it for sure.
    OK thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Habit Rouge is not as polarizing as Kouros, but it can totally miss for many people. While it is likely a pretty good selling scent in the big scheme, it's not all that commonly worn I would hazard. It's got a kind of vanilla and leather vibe that is quite distinct, and a bit distinguished IMO.

Sorry, missed you already have L'Instant in earlier post. But you might want to check out he EdP version. Similar, but more gourmand.
    I tried to find the EDP but spent weeks looking all around me. I found the EDT for a good price and pulled the trigger, but the EDP is for sure on my testing list! Habit Rouge sounds like a good way to get into the leather scents, with the vanilla thrown in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It looks like a perfect collection. You own scents for most occasions and seasons. You should be very satisfied with it!
    Thanks! I tried to collect frags that I liked for every occasion, and thought I would open it up to suggestions as well. I am holding off on buying any more bottles for a long time and am going to be sampling here and there (when I am not wearing something from the above!).

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Here is a good sample list I have collected from this thread:
    - The Dreamer
    - Habit Rouge
    - Emporio Armani Night He
    - Fat Electrician
    - New Harlem
    - BDP
    - Fahrenheit
    - L'Instant EDP
    - Burberry London (already have a mini)

what are your thoughts on Escada Magnetism? I've been reading the reviews and searching the forums and find that this one is interesting... Grape Soda + Vanilla Coke... sounds like it could get cloying even for me. I also have been trying to find original scents that most ppl have never smelled before, so I am always open to suggestions!

Your assortment of scents looks fine.

Magnetism is a sweet, odd, screwd, synthetic mess.. STAY AWAY!!

How's it going everyone! I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts ...
    Anything less bold or manly? Mugler Angel for instance. Givenchy Insense? Sisley Eau De Campagne. Rabanne Tenere?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Magnetism is a sweet, odd, screwd, synthetic mess.. STAY AWAY!!
    Thanks for the warning haha

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Anything less bold or manly? Mugler Angel for instance. Givenchy Insense? Sisley Eau De Campagne. Rabanne Tenere?
    I was actually looking in the spectrum when I picked up Kenzo Power, which I love and also Fleur du Male, but amazon sent me the EDC. I will admit I ordered it blind (last time I swear) and am in the midst of returning the EDC. I've heard that Insense is a very good floral, however is it very aldehydey? Are the aldehyde notes similar to Noir Epices?

How's it going everyone! I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on what they think my wardrobe is lacking. I've really only collected things that I like without relation to certain types of scents but wanted to hear suggestions on how I can bolster my wardrobe....

Without further ado:

Full Bottles:
    - Musc Ravageur
    - Muscs Koublai Khan
    - Body Kouros
    - L'Instant de Guerlain
    - A*Men Pure Malt
    - M7 Fresh
    - Kenzo Power
    - Silver Mountain Water
    - Aventus (1 oz)

En-route:
    - Windsor
    - Fleur du Male (amazon sent me cologne by accident, trying to get the toilette)

Samples:
    - Tobacco Vanille
    - All Frederick Malle's
    - Chergui among other SL's

So what would you suggest I grab next and in what aspect do you believe that I am lacking? Thanks for the help guys!
    OK, i'll critique! it's all pure mediocrity and bla bla bla, as luca turin said bla bla bla.... just joking

What i don't see there is a daily use fragance. They all look heavy, gourmandy and for formal or night use (except SMW or Kenzo)

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    OK, i'll critique! it's all pure mediocrity and bla bla bla, as luca turin said bla bla bla.... just joking

What i don't see there is a daily use fragance. They all look heavy, gourmandy and for formal or night use (except SMW or Kenzo)
    Be as straight forward as possible! I believe in continual improvement and look for input in all endeavors... I would have to agree with you that most are for formal, night and are heavy, save for M7 Fresh (I love this for work when I want to be productive), SMW and Kenzo Power. I am very formal though and this is reflected in my choices; all make a statement in my mind. I am liking Burberry London more now, but I still get Tea for Two and some GPH II for good measure...

Definitely could use some of the classic EdCs: 4711, R&G Extra Vieille, Guerlain's Imperiale EdC, etc. All are a good fit for any well-rounded wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Definitely could use some of the classic EdCs: 4711, R&G Extra Vieille, Guerlain's Imperiale EdC, etc. All are a good fit for any well-rounded wardrobe.
    +1 to that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Hmmm I will have to check some of these out. I did sample some of the older Creeds and was a fan so I will give these a chance as well.

Also, given my penchant for formal, gourmand scents, do you guys think that I would be partial to Black Aoud? I am interested in its longevity and unique rose/aoud notes...