Code of Conduct

Default You've got a favorite. When do you pick it?

None of us has found the holy grail scent yet. Some of us have come close with a few, some of us close with many, and many of us have the current favorite among our small collections. Favorite in the sense that we want to save it for special moments, special wearings, special days, some kind of extra special thing that corresponds to how special the smell is to us.

What are those special occasions when you will pick your very best?

It might be second, third or fourth date, and the conversations on the previous dates have to have been great, and then I'm showing up in Voleur de Roses.

When a friend is taking me along to someone I don't know's party, here comes L'Ombre dans l'Eau in the car with us.

My brother's fine wife is setting me up with someone, or I'm meeting her family for skiing: Patou pour (this) Homme.

I don't know why it works this way, but when I go to an event where I'll be speaking before a number of people, telling an experience or even making a toast or something, I think Route du Vetiver should break my path.

More than "what is your favorite," I really want to know what venues can get you to break it (them) out?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: You've got a favorite. When do you pick it?

New Years Eve night - I always wear Orris by Tauer.
    Hanging out with my Dad (he lives in LA so don't see each other often) - I always wear Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL
    Christmas Eve - I usually wear Shalimar vintage parfum by Guerlain

I'm sure there are more, but those are the first that came to mind

Great topic
    Those special moments, man. I wore Jicky extrait on New Year's Eve for many years. I decided to change that this year. I wore Tabac Blond extrait.

There's a special month here in the Arab world called Ramadan. It's a month where people fast (no food and drinks from break of dawn till sunset). I don't practice, but I get invited almost every sunset to someone's banquet. I wear mostly Monsieur Galimard around that time. At night (in Ramadan) I wear the women's L'instan de Guerlain extrait (parfum).

On Christmas, I've been wearing Chergui the lat few years.

On very special events (nocturnal), I wear Silver CRYTAL by Amouage (discontinued).

For me picking the scent to wear is always a mood thing and this applies to favourites as well. I just sometimes get the feeling that NOW is the time to dig out that treasure! And then I do. So it has more to do with my mood than the occasion.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

from now on during special events or occasions or if im sorry where i need to make a great impression, my fragrance will without a doubt be L'Instant de Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Great thread!

In my case, for every event there's a few on rotation, the final selection depends on the company I'm likely to end up with, the proximity levels, the type of activity and sometimes my mood. It may seem like a lot of decisions to make but with practice, it gets pretty intuitive. Some examples: -

Evening out with a special lady:
    Montale's Musk to Musk
    1725 Histoires de Parfums
    Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Nightscape by Ulrich Lang

Evening out with the boys:
    1969 Revolte by Histoires de Parfums
    Serge Noire by Serge Lutens
    Lanvin for Men
    Arpege pour Homme by Lanvin

At a formal gathering e.g. toastmasters:
    A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian
    Esencia Loewe
    Mitsouko by Guerlain
    Chanel No.19
    Cuir de Russie by Creed
    Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene
    Eau de Campagne by Sisley
    Bulgari pour Homme

At a social networking event:
    L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    Rousse by Serge Lutens
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    Daim Blond by Serge Lutens
    Hypnotic Poison by Dior
    Dior Homme by Dior
    Rose 31 by Le Labo

I just wear what feels good in the moment. Could be any number of things. I break them out all the time. Mainly, anytime I'm breathing.

I don't really wear things that aren't favorites. I just make sure I acquire plenty of whatever it is I like.

The holy grail thing is absurd. I have plenty of stuff that I like as much as any fragrance can be liked until technology makes some giant olfactory leap. There are many great fragrances to appreciate out there. But it works best by first appreciating the self.
    Last edited by pluran; 15th August 2010 at 11:35 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I am in the "mood of the moment" camp.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I am in the "mood of the moment" camp.
    Me too.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Of course, *special moments* does not mean that you turn your life into a fixed ritual. To me, it's just trying to re-live the beauty of a certain moment. In that sense, whenever I travel to Marrakesh in Morocco, I have to be wearing Miel de Bois by SL through out my stay there. I was wearing it the first time I visited Marrakesh and discovered this red city. The impact of the experience on me was incredible. I have thousands of fragrances, but Miel de Bois is what makes my happiness complete when I'm there.

Most of the time anything goes but there are a handful of event / people specific favourites:

Protection: Vetiver Tonka (air travel) , Villoresi Uomo (new clients, boardroom credentials type stuff).

Insulation: I get to the odd black tie / luxe evening sort of thing occasionally and depending on who, where and when it will Reflection Man, Santal Noble or Taste of Heaven.

Inspiration: Homage - some friends used to pass around a particular kind of Rose Water from Turkey before meditating and this one has the same uplifting and at the same time very peaceful effect for me - good for contemplation of who or what is beautiful in life.

My mood drives what I wear.

For a date, always roll with L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme. After a few dates, L'Ombre Fauve.

Big work events, Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier, GIT or Vintage Tabarome.

But like some others, I have too many favorites to pin it. I guess though top work scent is VT. Top casual is L'Instant.

Well lady and gents, my friends all, party on if there aren't moments when you particularly or regularly break out something you find very special. I'm all over the mood choice too, as I apply that most regularly, but the truth is I've got scents that are very special to me and that I apply to the specialness of things life sets along my path.

And Pluran, not to distract the thread, I don't think it's a first appreciate the self thing. I think I've got a good self, and I think I've also got favorite scents I reserve for their specialness. I don't think there are self-confidence questions involved. At least I think you can indulge me in the thought even if you disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Great topic
    Those special moments, man. I wore Jicky extrait on New Year's Eve for many years. I decided to change that this year. I wore Tabac Blond extrait.

There's a special month here in the Arab world called Ramadan. It's a month where people fast (no food and drinks from break of dawn till sunset). I don't practice, but I get invited almost every sunset to someone's banquet. I wear mostly Monsieur Galimard around that time. At night (in Ramadan) I wear the women's L'instan de Guerlain extrait (parfum).

On Christmas, I've been wearing Chergui the lat few years.

On very special events (nocturnal), I wear Silver CRYTAL by Amouage (discontinued).
    KV, I hear you. Your post reminds me that there was a time a while ago when I saved my very special Acqua di Parma Colonia just for wearing on Sundays. I'm not religious, but there's something special about having a ritual with a scent and a time that's, well, maybe sometimes contemplative. Again, not to make the thread about that, but even on Sundays when I had to work I wore it and loved that I had my toes dipped into the water of specialness encouraged by my own private meaning to a favorite scent.

Thanks for the kind words!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I just open my wardrobe and grab the first thing that takes my fancy, depending on what mood I'm in.

Interesting thread DustB. Personally, I feel most confident and cool in Gucci Pour Homme 2. But when I am in my most formal attire and I want to feel sophisticated, I usually wear Ambre Narguile or the decant of L'Artisan's Havanna Vanille that I had (gave it away after a lost bet!!!). When I first got Burberry Brit, it was my signature interview fragrance. It had a way of making me feel business like. Gucci Envy has a similar feel too. But after wearing my sample of Amouage Reflection for a few days, I think that is going to quickly be my most-formal wear fav.

Though the two anniversaries (first date and wedding) are definitely very, very special to me,there's no regular special scent for any of them. Though we got married wearing Égoïste, I don't necessarily dig it out on every anniversary.

And though I wore Angel for many Christmases, one year I fancied wearing Arabie... and so on.

When I graduated from the university, I had bought Narcisse Noir extrait to wear for the occasion. But since then I've worn it whenever I've fancied wearing it.

Here's one of my favourite film quotes that suits my view on this "special scent - special occasion" business:
    Maya (advising Miles against being overly fussy about when he will drink a vintage Bordeaux wine he owns):
    "You know, the day you open a '61 Cheval Blanc … that's the special occasion."
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Hillaire

I wore Dia Woman on my first date with my partner. It was such a special time that I reach for it almost every time we have a dinner out, go to a movie, etc.... sort-of as a reminder.
    I also wear it to work, usually when I have a presentation to make and I am consequently getting a tad more dressed up than usual.
    I definitely associate it with looking good and feeling happy, if not with specific formal events. And even though it's a precious elixir, I don't reserve it, or ration it; I wear it lots.

Ubar (my other favorite), on the other hand, was my first gift given to me by my partner, and I reserve it for exclusively for romantic evenings, nighttime, times when I would be really made-up and formal.

Basenotes Institution

My comfort fragrances are Joy extrait and Carnal Flower ..for staying home - Joy and going out - Carnal Flower .
    My spiritual fragrances for alone time .. seem to be Lakshmi and Desir from Ajne.
    My safe fragrance is Fleurs de Bulgarie - surely no one can be offended by it.
    My happy feeling kinda day scent is Estee Lauder's Tuberose Gardenia.
    My sleep well fragrances are Carnal Flower and also Bulgarian Rose Otto .

There are so so so many really...........more than this.........
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

L'Instant de Guerlain. I love it and wear it out to impress, and at home alone to enjoy for myself. It's my top fragrance.

Balafre for the most formal outings.

I have sort of anointed (whether correctly or not) Dior Homme Cologne as how I like to present myself. So I generally put it on when I'd like to make a good impression.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense