Code of Conduct

Default Seeking Coppertone scent in a cologne - any ideas?

Mr. Redneck Perfumisto mentioned in another thread that Bond's Fire Island smells like sunscreen. That's what prompted this thread. I have been obsessed this summer with the classic Coppertone smell. I don't know enought about fragrance at large to list the scent components. But I have been wondering for some time now: is there a cologne (or EdT, EdP, etc.) that smells similar to Coppertone. Like a better, longer-lasting version?

Of course I could just save the money and wear Coppertone itself. But there's that sticky suntan lotion thing. Hate it when it sticks to my clothes. And the smell is generally short-lived after showering.

Not interested in the genre of suntan lotion that smells coconutty. Creed already covered that with Virgin Island Water. And I never really fancied running around smelling like a Pina Colada anyway.

Any ideas about where to find a Coppertone-like cologne?

Default Re: Seeking Coppertone scent in a cologne - any ideas?

Bobbi Brown "Beach" and CB/ I Hate Perfume "At the Beach" were designed to smell like Coppertone. Tried em both and it's dead on.

Brilliant. THANK YOU!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I get that suntanning lotion vibe from Salvador Dali's Le Roy Soleil Homme too.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Creed's Virgin Island Water
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

isnt Bond No.9 Fire Island supposed to be liquid sunscreen or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    isnt Bond No.9 Fire Island supposed to be liquid sunscreen or something?
    To me it smells like right after you tan at the beach, what your skin smells like. The others smell like Coppertone tanning oil
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I've read some who think Creed Virgin Island Water fills this bill. But if you've already dismissed it...

I'd say kind of yes and kind of no. It does lean that way a bit, but it sounds some other have suggested scents much closer.

Haven't tried Fire Island. Sounds interesting.

The CB I Hate Perfume "At the Beach 1966" is perfect, as mentioned above. Also try his "M Hulot's Holiday."

I picked up some Bobbi Brown Beach today at Nordstrom. It's very much like Coppertone. A little on the strong side, on first wearing. I applied only one small spray, and wham - big sillage, atomic Coppertone - for about the first 40 minutes. After that it toned down nicely. It's marketed as a female fragrance, but seriously, if Coppertone suntan lotion is unisex, this certainly is.

Not sure if it's the final word in Coppertone-like fragrances. I found "At the Beach 1966" online - small sample bottle for $10. I'm sure I'll have to sample it now.

Thank you, MikeNY, for these two suggestions. I'm sure I'll have to try the other sugestions on here, too. Thanks to all for your replies. Basenotes is always good for scent research.

Maybe Azurée Soleil eau fraîche? I know it has coconut and you said you didn't want anything with it, but it's subtler than you may think and it's very salty as well. It's very fresh.

and i agree with At The Beach as the man wanted to re-create that very coppertone scent.

I thought that Nautica's Latitude Longitude smelled like suntan lotion when i tried it years ago.

Nautica Sunset Voyage may be the answer, but longevity sucks! Awesome smell though.

I get sunscreen from Cassandra.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kärleksparfym View Post
    The CB I Hate Perfume "At the Beach 1966" is perfect, as mentioned above. Also try his "M Hulot's Holiday."
    I have smelled this one and it is very realistic of the smell of Coppertone and the beach.

My pleasure, Mr. CologneGuy. Glad you liked "Beach." I grabbed one too this summer. "At the Beach 1966" is said to be an earlier version of Coppertone from (you guessed it!) 1966.

NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I just got a chance to try out Fire Island, WOW!

Absolutely blown away, At first it starts off smelling quite Feminine, but after settling, just brings me to to a scent which reminds me of sun and warmth.

I am definitely going to get this for next summer, something about the smell just makes me smile - perhaps association with vacations with feet in the sand.

I wonder however, how it would work if used in the winter... hmm.

Just wonderful, definitely do yourself a favor and try out Fire Island. I really didn't want to like it as I never really loved the Bond House but... its just too good.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I just got a chance to try out Fire Island, WOW!

Absolutely blown away, At first it starts off smelling quite Feminine, but after settling, just brings me to to a scent which reminds me of sun and warmth.

I am definitely going to get this for next summer, something about the smell just makes me smile - perhaps association with vacations with feet in the sand.

I wonder however, how it would work if used in the winter... hmm.

Just wonderful, definitely do yourself a favor and try out Fire Island. I really didn't want to like it as I never really loved the Bond House but... its just too good.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to sample it.

I don't know about you, or anyone else on BN, but I am thrilled that we get two more weekends of summer here in the USA. Two more weekends to lounge around poolside, basking in sunshine and that great Coppertone and chlorine summer smell. Toss in some goofy tunes on the radio, some screaming kids, lots of girls running around looking impossibly gorgeous in their skimpy swimwear. . . sigh. . . we'll all miss it in the dead of winter. . . enjoy it thoroughly while you can. . .

Same here Mr.Cologneguy, Same here. I must take a quick excusion down to Mexico or Cuba and experience that at least for a week as a break from the -40 here in Calgary.

Lauder's Bronze Goddess is also another that springs to mind. Read more here.

I'd second BBs Beach. Azuree Soleil (now Bronze Goddess) is a great summer scent but smells more like time at the pool than at the beach to my nose, and not much like Coppertone.

Virgin Island Water is not Coppertone-like at all. Fire Island is much closer but I bet some others (e.g. CB I Hate) are even closer.

It depends on if you're looking for a literal interpretation or a note amongst others (Fire). Virgin Island Water is more impressionistic and as many others think, like a tropical cocktail.

I, like you, have been seeking the same scent. This is how I ended up in this forum. After reading the posts, I ordered a sample of Bond's Fire Island and it smells nothing like sunscreen in anyway. It was awful. It went straight in the trash.

I then ordered a sample of CB-I Hate Perfume "At the Beach" based on recommendations in this forum. It smells nothing like Coppertone. Not even close. I had everyone in my family take a whiff of it and nobody thought it smelled like Coppertone or even smelled good for that matter. It went in the trash also.

So, my last shot was Bobbi Brown's "Beach". I just went to the mall today and found the Bobbi Brown counter at Nordstrom's. "Beach" smells as close as you can get to Coppertone. I LOVE IT!!! I bought a bottle of the perfume and the body lotion. The body lotion does not smell quite the same as the perfume but it is still ok. The perfume makes me feel like I'm on the beach in Florida. It evokes a lot of memories for me. I would highly recommend it.

Bobbi Brown Beach is now a staple in my household. My wife wears it frequently in summer months. She layers it with other Bobbie Brown Beach products - lotion, and body oil, too. I wear the fragrance now and then myself. It is definitely unisex, and very much like the classic Coppertone smell. Thank you, basenoters. Never would have found it without your expert guidance.