Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default Mazzolari appreciation thread

    Hey gang,
    I just wanted to take a brief moment to share with you my love for two Mazzolari's namely Patchouli and Lui.

    After having spent a year or two on this forum and having acquired numerous bottles based on recommendations, sampling and the obligatory overenthusiastic blind buys, I realized i had not found my holy grail yet. Although the MPG's are among my absolute favourites, and broody earthy notes seemed to be the recurring theme in my growing collection, I did not find THE bottle i was looking for. That is until i got a sample of Lui and patchouli. Man how i cradled those samples. When the sample flacon dried up I immediately bought Patchouli, which was different enough from MOntale's PL to warrant a full bottle. Lui took me some time to get my head around. I couldnt figure out why it gave me a headache until i sampled Vetiver and Mazzolari which both have the same note as lui does in diminished proportions that just rub me the wrong way. So i postponed buying Lui hoping i would forget all about it , but its memory kept haunting me. So since last week i am the proud owner of Lui and didnt not regret it for a second.

    Both Patchouli and Lui seem to have this warm antiquated book smell about it which i just love. Very elegant, distinguished but not in any penhaligon's way. Far warmer and in case of Lui WAY more aggressive and testosterone filled. Far from imagining me driving in a Ferrari with bear chest, hair bulging out, gold chains and Russian model on the passengers seat, lui and patchouli both create the image of a cottage in winter time, open fire place, dog at my feet and books all around. I love it.

    Just spewing my love for these two here, and i am curious how others evaluate these fragrances, especially compared to vetiver and mazzolari which i thought were huge let downs.
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

    Li Po - II bc

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    COMPLETELY agree with you re: Lui. It HAS to be one of the very best ever made in my opinion.
    Compliments on top of compliments when I wear it.

    Not at all familiar with their Patchouli though but will definitely test drive it soon.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    Nice description of both and I also agree that both are great.
    What tokk my by suprise was the fact that Patchouly (while the note itself is the boldest I haveencountered so far) is way tamer and easier approachable whereas Lui really is a beast.

    Mazzolari I will have to revisit to give a more precise analysaiton but I think I liked it, too.

    Since I dont really warm up with vetivers in general i passed on this on but I just bought a sample of Montforte 2 which struck me as very nice. I'l report

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    It seemed to me that both the vetiver and pine in mazzolari were....synthetic & soapy in a really bad way. I have no idea how the female line is btw.

    I must admit though that the first time i sampled lui it was intimidating. I never had that with a fragrance except perhaps with black aoud. And this from someone who thinks RdV is peachy and raw vetiver oil refreshing goes a long way to explain why Lui is seen as too unruly by some. But for the last week i havent really worn anything else and actually crave it in the morning. Patchouly however is just sooooothing in a big big way. I always think that gentleman givenchy is for being bold and rugged in the outside world, mazzolari patchouly what that same guy wears inside
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

    Li Po - II bc

  5. #5

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    I love both Lui and Patchouli, though I only own a bottle of Lui. Patchouli is definitely on my wish list because it's one of the best patch frags I've ever smelled. Cost is the only thing stopping me.

    Lui is one of the most aggressive fragrances I've ever smelled. It used to be my #1 favorite scent for a while, but I don't wear it that often and it makes for a lousy hot weather scent. It's got the most brutal use of patchouli in a fragrance ever. Mazzolari Lui is awesome.

    Mazzolari Mazzolari is also a great scent. I consider it to be like Yatagan, but much greener smelling and less bold. It's definitely bottle worthy too, if you're rolling in money.

  6. #6
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    I love Mazzolari Lui.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  7. #7

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    Lui is excellent! The other Mazzolari releases aren't really FBW but are definitely worth a try (especially Mazzolari).

    Btw, if anyone's interested in a brand new bottle of Lui, PM me.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    It seemed to me that both the vetiver and pine in mazzolari were....synthetic & soapy in a really bad way.
    I actually love Mazzolari Vetiver, It certainly does have a soapy quality to it, but its over-the-top blend of floral notes really sends it off into the stratosphere. Mazzolari is a very interesting house, the fragrances I've tried so far from them are all very LOUD, but in a very sophisticated way. A strange combo, loud and sophisticated, isn't it? I love their box, its made to look like an old, limited edition book.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    I like Lui but it's a really difficult scent to pull off. And this is from someone who wears Patchouli 24 & Fumidus with ease. Lui's like a really good looking mean person.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    I love Lui and hope to eventually buy it.

    I am very impressed with the Patchouli as well, but don't see myslef buying it.

    I am fond of Zagara and think it deserves more attention than it gets (which is near zero).

  11. #11

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    I love and own Vetiver, and I am waiting that the weather cools down a bit to be able to use Patchouly.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    I've tried Mazzolari, Lui, and Vetiver. At first, I actively disliked Lui, almost wanted to wash it off, but every time I've sampled it since then, I've liked it better and better. It is a monster of a scent, that's for sure. I love the Italians. The Vetiver I thought was very good, but there are so many great vetivers out there (and so many that I own already), for me it isn't FBW at this time. Now, we get to Mazzolari. I agree with shamu1's comparison to Yatagan, but I definitely don't find it less bold. In fact, I think its sillage is much bolder on my skin than Yatagan's. I love Yatagan and Mazzolari's namesake fragrance will soon me finding its way into my wardrobe, with Lui possibly to follow at some point. I'll have to get a hold of a sample of Patchouly with my next Lucky Scent order.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I agree with shamu1's comparison to Yatagan, but I definitely don't find it less bold. In fact, I think its sillage is much bolder on my skin than Yatagan's.
    Good point. When I said Mazz was less bold than Yatagan, I meant that I thought Yatagan was more uncompromising than Mazzoloari. Mazzolari is very green and smells like it's got a tiny bit of sweetness, which I think makes it a bit more user friendly than Yatagan. Yatagan is raw, dry and animalic and less compromising IMO.

    I do agree though that Mazzolari has much bigger sillage than Yatagan. Like all the Mazzolari scent's I've sampled, it projects really far and is very strong. Yatagan is almost a skin scent on me.

  14. #14
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    I recently acquired a bottle of Mazzolari Patchouli. It's a terrific patch and in my top 5 patch scents for sure. It's not loud on me because of skin type and I use normal to heavy sprays of it.

    Lui was a tad too sweet when I sampled it a few times over a year ago, but I may need to try it again. Other than that, it was rockin.

    Mazzolari Mazzolari is completely different from those 2 and excellent in its own right. I can only assume that, from having experience with 3 releases from this house, everything they put their name to is a quality product.

  15. #15
    Hillaire
    Guest

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    I loved Vetiver so much I ordered samples of the whole line.

    Lui, and Patchouli are both really heavy patchouli scents. Both were too thick and powdery for me personally, but I respected their classical form. I happened to be sampling HdP Marquis de Sade at the same time, which struck me as a ten times better patchouli scent than either of these two, I might add.

    I found the women's offering so banal and awful! It was quite disappointing.

    the only other FBW, besides Vetiver, for me, turned out to be Mazzolari Mazzolari, a very classic manly sort-of sweet scent.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Mazzolari appreciation thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    Hey gang,
    I just wanted to take a brief moment to share with you my love for two Mazzolari's namely Patchouli and Lui.

    After having spent a year or two on this forum and having acquired numerous bottles based on recommendations, sampling and the obligatory overenthusiastic blind buys, I realized i had not found my holy grail yet. Although the MPG's are among my absolute favourites, and broody earthy notes seemed to be the recurring theme in my growing collection, I did not find THE bottle i was looking for. That is until i got a sample of Lui and patchouli. Man how i cradled those samples. When the sample flacon dried up I immediately bought Patchouli, which was different enough from MOntale's PL to warrant a full bottle. Lui took me some time to get my head around. I couldnt figure out why it gave me a headache until i sampled Vetiver and Mazzolari which both have the same note as lui does in diminished proportions that just rub me the wrong way. So i postponed buying Lui hoping i would forget all about it , but its memory kept haunting me. So since last week i am the proud owner of Lui and didnt not regret it for a second.

    Both Patchouli and Lui seem to have this warm antiquated book smell about it which i just love. Very elegant, distinguished but not in any penhaligon's way. Far warmer and in case of Lui WAY more aggressive and testosterone filled. Far from imagining me driving in a Ferrari with bear chest, hair bulging out, gold chains and Russian model on the passengers seat, lui and patchouli both create the image of a cottage in winter time, open fire place, dog at my feet and books all around. I love it.

    Just spewing my love for these two here, and i am curious how others evaluate these fragrances, especially compared to vetiver and mazzolari which i thought were huge let downs.
    Hi. I see you're from the Netherlands. Can I ask you where you buy your samples?
    I order mine from Essenza Nobile and Aus Liebe Zum Duft. I live in Belgium by the way.

    I have also tested Mazzolari Lui once, on my skin it seems to be an animalic mess, and that is also for the drydown. I expected it to become less agressive, but it didn't. On other people it doesn't smell as agressive and animalic as on my skin, so it may be a "skin thing".
    It's so dirty and agressive that it reminds me of Kouros, although I don't think they share a lot of ingredients.

Similar Threads

  1. S-Perfume Appreciation Thread
    By nsamadi in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13th February 2012, 09:46 AM
  2. New Haarlem appreciation thread
    By Vladdypwnz in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 21st June 2010, 06:05 AM
  3. Shalimar appreciation thread
    By timaru in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24th May 2010, 07:10 AM
  4. Candies appreciation thread
    By supercat84 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th April 2007, 10:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000