Code of Conduct

Question Recommendations please! for: 1) spiritual/uplifting, 2) sensual/masculine, and 3) natural/healthy

Hello,

Newbie here. Great site, so glad I found it! I need some recommendations from you aficionados (men and women) for men's fragrances to try, there are so many to choose from!!

I've seen some threads using one or two of these criteria, but not all 3, so hopefully using these 3 criteria will help narrow down the list a bit!

I'm a holistic fitness trainer in my 40s living in sunny Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. I'm looking for a fragrance that fits my personality and makes me feel great!

Great to me is:

1) I'm spiritual but not religious (authentic tantra yoga) so I'm looking for something uplifting/inspiring that is meditative, contemplative, mystical in its vibe that might enhance meditation; but not necessarily 'churchy,' something mystical and perhaps outdoorsy for inspiring me to want to commune with nature or meditate or practice yoga outside

2) Masculine/sensual/sexy: I'm masculine, hetero, and single and like a bold confident scent that brings out the masculine/cocky 'Rolling Stones' side of my personality without being overpowering; masculine yet subtle ya know...not a 'club scene' 'player' scent appropriate for when I was in my 20s nor a 'mature' scent appropriate for a gentleman in his 60s but something in between...something women in their 30s may also like...but it's more important that it energizes me!

3) Natural/healthy/sporty: not just something that smells natural, but one that is natural using natural ingredients as much as possible without too many chemicals to worry about and that is humane/animal friendly...this is a personal preference as well as a requirement as I work with a few clients with chemical sensitivities who request I wear no cologne (or at least no 'cheap' ones), so it can't be offensive...

Wow, that's kinda detailed but hopefully will narrow down the list! Price is of no concern because I'm looking for quality...it's ok if it's expensive, even preferable as it'll likely be more unique...

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this long shopping list and offers recommendations, I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Last edited by jnailen; 16th August 2010 at 03:56 AM.

Point Blank

Default Re: Recommendations please! for: 1) spiritual/uplifting, 2) sensual/masculine, and 3) natural/health

Perhaps Creed Millesime Imperial or perhaps Creed Silver Mountain Water.

The sporty critierion seems a bit conflicting with the spiritual criterion, if you consider what type of fragrances/notes that are usually associated with these terms.

The most spiritual fragrance I know is Comme des Garcons Kyoto - truly a fragrance for meditation - but it doesn't come across as sporty.
    Last edited by Point Blank; 15th August 2010 at 07:23 PM.

Default Re: Recommendations please! for: 1) spiritual/uplifting, 2) sensual/masculine, and 3) natural/health

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Perhaps Creed Millesime Imperial or perhaps Creed Silver Mountain Water.

The sporty critierion seems a bit conflicting with the spiritual criterion, if you consider what type of fragrances/notes that are usually associated with these terms.

The most spiritual fragrance I know is Comme des Garcons Kyoto - truly a fragrance for meditation - but it doesn't come across as sporty.
    Thanks! I'll try these...

Yeah, I realize some of these may seem contradictory, like something that's spiritual yet sporty, masculine and bold yet not offensive, etc. but there are so many frags that seem to be multidimensional...I've tried SMW and really like it...I'll try the others as well...thanks again!

Any other recommendations out there?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jnailen View Post
    3) Natural/healthy/sporty: not just something that smells natural, but one that is natural using natural ingredients as much as possible without a lot of chemicals to worry about and that is animal friendly...this is a personal preference as well as a requirement as I work with a few clients with chemical sensitivities and a few who request I wear no cologne, so it can't be offensive...
    Not sure what to suggest for your first two. What I find uplifting and inspiring may leave you flat. Fragrance is pretty subjective.

As to number two...there are tons and tons of masculine/sensual/sexy. I'll throw out Le Labo Rose 31. I think it meets your criteria, but you'd need to smell it.

For number three, I would not call it "natural," but the Gendarme line may be what you should consider. While it is not truly hypo allergenic, the man who developed it is plagued with tons of fragrance allergies which he tried to address in developing his line of scents. You'll find more info about them in the directory. It's a very fresh, clean, light soapy sort of scent. There are some variants of the original that contain lavender and vetiver. Hard call to make as to whether or not it would disturb your clients who request "no cologne."

I don't know of any totally natural scents. I think the overwhelming majority of what we discuss in here are mass marketed fragrances all of which likely make some use of synthetics. While some tout their use of "natural" ingredients, there are synthetics involved on some level.

Truly all natural scents are likely very sold and marketed at a very local level that would generally not catch our attention here.

Santa Fe would be one of the most likely places on the planet to find some. But if there are any well known, someone here will weigh in.

A pure fragrance oil might be an option. Vetiver is lovely and I think it would meet your criteria. It's certainly natural!

www.profumo.it makes wonderful fragrances using natural ingredients. Definitely worth a closer look, highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

Truly all natural scents are likely very sold and marketed at a very local level that would generally not catch our attention here.

Santa Fe would be one of the most likely places on the planet to find some. But if there are any well known, someone here will weigh in.
    Great idea, didn't think of that...how would I go about searching for this either on Google or in the local phone book??

Thanks,
    Jeff

Heeley's Spirit of the Tiger!

Very spiritual, masculine, natural and healthy. Smells a bit like Tiger Balm but more refined. It's just not very sensual or sexy

Someone better versed than me may know. I know we have other members from your area. There are likely some holistic, natural food type stores in your area. Maybe some spiritual bookstores; meditation shops. Ask some questions in some of those stores.

But as a side note, just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it might not P.O. your clients. I'm sure there are many people who have very real considerations and reactions to scents. I've known some. I also think some people are just annoyed by many things- allergies or not.

As I mentioned earlier, fragrance is highly subjective. I'm sure my boss is quite annoyed by many of my wide variety of scents. But workplace etiquette is such that he feels no right to tell me "NO COLOGNE." He frequently comments on his disdain for many women's scents. Has nothing to do with allergies. Just personal preferences. He's of the mind set that any fragrance should worn inordinately discreetly. Very close to skin. He also has very exacting standards of his own.

A woman I know always wears a natural oil called "China Rain" or something like that. It suits her well. I love it. But I'm sure some would find it too strong, choking and cloying.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th August 2010 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    A pure fragrance oil might be an option. Vetiver is lovely and I think it would meet your criteria. It's certainly natural!

www.profumo.it makes wonderful fragrances using natural ingredients. Definitely worth a closer look, highly recommended!
    Thanks! I'll check out profumo.it
    and thanks for the vetiver recommendation...what is 'vetiver' anyway? I notice many fragrance houses produce vetiver products; I'll try a pure fragrance oil, sounds natural and inexpensive, but if you were to recommend a vetiver from one of the houses, which would you recommend that may have some of the other qualities I'm looking for?

thanks in advance...

Thanks! I'll check out profumo.it
    and thanks for the vetiver recommendation...what is 'vetiver' anyway? I notice many fragrance houses produce vetiver products; I'll try a pure fragrance oil, sounds natural and inexpensive, but if you were to recommend a vetiver from one of the houses, which would you recommend that may have some of the other qualities I'm looking for?

thanks in advance...
    Firstly, welcome. As for your question.. vetiver is a versatile grassy note. It's a dark type of grass with usually a very earthy smell. The plant itself is very fragrant from what I hear; it isn't really grown in the states, more in India, Africa, and South America. Often though, it's difficult to smell the vetiver in a fragrance vs something that's vetiver based and emphasizes on that note. I personally am not a huge vetiver fan, but I do enjoy what it does to some of my favorite fragrances.

Vetivers are popular around here, and there are often threads about them, like this one: Seeking first Vetiver

You'll find plenty of recommendations all over the place!

My personal favourites are Sycomore (Chanel) and Encre Noire (Lalique)

I've found that one thing that has changed since I adopted this "hobby" is that I don't really attach such notions to scents. I am much more "objective" now about my sense of smell. I certainly like some and dislike others, but to me they are all just smells.

I'm not a big vetiver fan, but in traditional scents, it can have a green and earthy somewhat "natural" feel to it.

Grassy. Earthy. But the blending variations of them are near infinite.

You might also be able to find some vetiver based natural oil type things too.

It's pricey, but to me, Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire presents a fairly simple vetiver scent.

Quote Originally Posted by LucasKane View Post
    Heeley's Spirit of the Tiger!

Very spiritual, masculine, natural and healthy. Smells a bit like Tiger Balm but more refined. It's just not very sensual or sexy
    Thanks LucasKane, I'll try it!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Firstly, welcome. As for your question.. vetiver is a versatile grassy note. It's a dark type of grass with usually a very earthy smell. The plant itself is very fragrant from what I hear; it isn't really grown in the states, more in India, Africa, and South America. Often though, it's difficult to smell the vetiver in a fragrance vs something that's vetiver based and emphasizes on that note. I personally am not a huge vetiver fan, but I do enjoy what it does to some of my favorite fragrances.
    thanks for the background, sounds nice!

1. Olivier Durbano Turquoise. Or Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain -- this one is a powerhouse and just a few drops last forever.

2. Recommend sampling these three: Amouage Dia Homme, Terre d'Hermes, and Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire.

3. Infusion Organique Buddha's Fig -- very fresh and green and something that should not be offensive to anyone; very natural.

Quote Originally Posted by kärleksparfym View Post
    1. Olivier Durbano Turquoise. Or Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain -- this one is a powerhouse and just a few drops last forever.

2. Recommend sampling these three: Amouage Dia Homme, Terre d'Hermes, and Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire.

3. Infusion Organique Buddha's Fig -- very fresh and green and something that should not be offensive to anyone; very natural.
    Awesome, thanks so much. They sound interesting. Where can I find samples of these and the others that are being recommended here without having to visit and order from each house individually?

Thanks again,
    Jeff

Jeff- these are a few recommendations that might fit what you are looking for. Give em a try. You can get samples of all these from Luckyscent (except for the Cartier)

LesNez Let Me Play the Lion - this is a dusty green incense that smells very much like the mesquite and sage brush as it bakes in the sun up on the desert outside of your home town Santa Fe. It smells like a walk in the desert outside Gallisteo.

CdG Kyoto - a gentler but very subtle incense that carries considerable presence due to the excellent blending.

CdG Jaisalmer - also a nice incense that is livelier due to patchouli in the base.

Cartier Declaration L' Essence - this version of Declaration has a penetrating incensey spice vibe that I find very uplifting.

CdG Artek Standard - smells like freshly cut logs.

CdG Scent One Hinoki - very green but very healing sort of fragrance.

good luck.

Creeds Aventus perhaps, mi and smw are great ideas, i would even say green irish tweed.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Jeff- these are a few recommendations that might fit what you are looking for. Give em a try. You can get samples of all these from Luckyscent (except for the Cartier)

LesNez Let Me Play the Lion - this is a dusty green incense that smells very much like the mesquite and sage brush as it bakes in the sun up on the desert outside of your home town Santa Fe. It smells like a walk in the desert outside Gallisteo.

CdG Kyoto - a gentler but very subtle incense that carries considerable presence due to the excellent blending.

CdG Jaisalmer - also a nice incense that is livelier due to patchouli in the base.

Cartier Declaration L' Essence - this version of Declaration has a penetrating incensey spice vibe that I find very uplifting.

CdG Artek Standard - smells like freshly cut logs.

CdG Scent One Hinoki - very green but very healing sort of fragrance.

good luck.
    Thanks! you know the area, well you're not too far away. I think I'll try a CdG sampler of their best scents as well as the others you recommend. I'm going to be trying a lot of samples!

Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Creeds Aventus perhaps, mi and smw are great ideas, i would even say green irish tweed.
    Thanks David, that's good to know...Creed is the only house I've experimented with so far because I've heard so much about it on these forums. I love silver mountain water and green irish tweed...I bought a 1 oz. bottle of GIT and am having the same longevity problem being talked about on the other thread...great scent, just doesn't seem to last long on my skin.

As someone pointed out, it may still be noticeable by others after 2 hours, but what's the point if I can't smell it? I either don't get the benefit of smelling it or I'll apply too much, so I'm kinda down on GIT.

Love SMW tho, seems to last longer too. I like that they're masculine yet with a sweet scent.

I didn't care for a sample of MI I tried; too flowery/feminine for my tastes, I know it's supposed to be unisex but I felt like I was wearing women's perfume--no offense to those who appreciate it--altho it has a great rep...

Creed sent a sample of Aventus with my order...wow, it's strong! but I think I got some on my nose while smelling it from the vial! ;-) looking forward to trying it more...as well as other Creed scents you might recommend!

Thanks,
    Jeff

For criteria 3, try all the Clarins 'Eaux'. Even the ones the SA says are for women, I found only one I couldn't wear (can't remember which though).

Two come to mind that fit all three aspects, I think:

Scents of Time Ankh - this is a beautiful and very natural smelling green incense scent that is subtle and yet masculine. It is spiritual and uplifting and yet fresh and invigorating in the same manner that a good frankincense or manilla copal incense might be. It's not at all churchy, instead it smells more like, well, let me break down its progression:
    fresh lime + juniper berries + hints of wood which progresses to a slightly spicy heart of cinnamon and other spices over a more prominent sandalwood and frankincense, and a drydown that becomes woodier and drier with just a tiny hint of smoke. It is a light and subtle scent that does not project very far so it is more for your own enjoyment and peace of mind than it is to impress others. Samples of this can be ordered from the site "Aqua de Luna." This is the most natural smelling incense scent I've come across (the CDG incenses, such as those recommended above, while nice feature a very synthetic and irritating woody/incense note in the drydown.)
    (more info on Ankh. Also, note that although it lists the MSRP as $99, there is a 40% off promotion running which can be found by clicking the specials & promotions tab http://www.aquadeluna.com/en/products/ankh )

The other is

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Bois de Turquie - this is another one of my top 12 scents (out of the 400 or so i've smelled). It perfectly balances the spiritual/aesthetically pleasing elements, along with the masculine and feminine elements. It starts out with a sweet orange and orange blossom along with a nice dose of bay leaf. This progresses to a jasmine, cinnamon, ginger and iris heart with some dusty dry frankincense in the background, and finally dries down to a soft incense with hints of dark patchouli. The scent evolves wonderfully throughout the day but is always subtle and natural smelling, just as is Ankh. While its character is that of an oriental scent, its lightness makes it wearable in any weather and nearly any situation. (Luckyscent description here: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...e_Turquie.html )
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 16th August 2010 at 01:58 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Thanks David, that's good to know...Creed is the only house I've experimented with so far because I've heard so much about it on these forums. I love silver mountain water and green irish tweed...I bought a 1 oz. bottle of GIT and am having the same longevity problem being talked about on the other thread...great scent, just doesn't seem to last long on my skin.

As someone pointed out, it may still be noticeable by others after 2 hours, but what's the point if I can't smell it? I either don't get the benefit of smelling it or I'll apply too much, so I'm kinda down on GIT.

Love SMW tho, seems to last longer too. I like that they're masculine yet with a sweet scent.

I didn't care for a sample of MI I tried; too flowery/feminine for my tastes, I know it's supposed to be unisex but I felt like I was wearing women's perfume--no offense to those who appreciate it--altho it has a great rep...

Creed sent a sample of Aventus with my order...wow, it's strong! but I think I got some on my nose while smelling it from the vial! ;-) looking forward to trying it more...as well as other Creed scents you might recommend!

Thanks,
    Jeff
    No Prob Jeff it seems smw might be your main scent.

I see Buzzlepuff mentioned Let Me Play the Lion and I don't know how I forgot it. It's another beautiful and natural smelling incense scent that is subtle and yet spiritual. Whereas many incense scents are either churchy or green or lemony or what have you, this scent smells very golden orange in color. It is warm and dry and dusty and yet there is a note (carnation perhaps) that is utilized to perfection here that keeps it from being too dry. It adds a hint of creaminess and sexiness to something that could otherwise have become too harsh and austere. Another scent that I rank in the top 12 of all I've sniffed. (more information on Let Me Play the Lion here: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti..._the_Lion.html )
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 16th August 2010 at 01:59 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    For criteria 3, try all the Clarins 'Eaux'. Even the ones the SA says are for women, I found only one I couldn't wear (can't remember which though).
    Thanks Andy I'll check them out.

Another scent worth mention, simply because it is truly unique in its utter minimalism, is "Wicken 3000" by Six Scents. It does not smell like a perfume, per se, but instead simply like purified air with hints of a salty sea spray. It actually does a really good job of capturing both the smell of water (unchlorinated water, more like the scent of the water (not the plants) that permeates the air near a pond at sundown), and then transitioning into the scent of air, with a hint of salt. Luckyscent's description of the scent is pretty accurate IMO - http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...id=44902&attr=

I do find this to be a great scent to use for meditation or yoga as it is just so utterly minimalist and truly blends in with the wearer and ones surroundings, instead of calling attention to itself in any way. Despite being so minimalist it actually is fairly strong and lasts a long time.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

1. Gucci Pour Homme II: Smells like black tea, very calming and subtle. Generally though for meditation I wear any fragrances I LOVE but know they won't get me compliments, sort of my-alone-time-fragrances. Many vetivers or spicy complex scents fit there perfect.
    2. That's too general, I'd go for a good vetiver like Encre Noire or something like Narciso Rodriguez for Him EdP, or if you're willing to pay more, go for something with Aoud in it, like Amouage Gold, though at the same time most Aoud's are somewhat unisex. Animalic/deep/bitter Ambre's (as opposed to soft ones like Ambre Precieux) are good, I like CK Obsession even though it's not stricly an Ambre perfume, though it's too old for me and probably for you as well to make a signature masculine fragrance.
    3. No idea, not into "Sporty" fragrances, the only one I really like Allure Blanche Edition but it's not very natural smelling, smells like lemon tarts. But as far as I'm concerned, most synthetic fragrances are made with allergies in mind compared to fragrances that are made with natural ingredients. But I guess some people are allergic to chemicals in general. To be honest I'd recommend visiting one of those gift boutiques if you're close to one and grabbing something from there since they sell a lot of organic stuff, fragrances with allergies in consideration and such. I would even go for a nice smelling citrus body cream/lotion if you're really that concerned about allergic reaction. That if you don't consider putting a scented lotion too girly.

Good luck,
    -Ekove

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Two come to mind that fit all three aspects, I think:

Scents of Time Ankh - this is a beautiful and very natural smelling green incense scent that is subtle and yet masculine. It is spiritual and uplifting and yet fresh and invigorating in the same manner that a good frankincense or manilla copal incense might be. It's not at all churchy, instead it smells more like, well, let me break down its progression:
    fresh lime + juniper berries + hints of wood which progresses to a slightly spicy heart of cinnamon and other spices over a more prominent sandalwood and frankincense, and a drydown that becomes woodier and drier with just a tiny hint of smoke. It is a light and subtle scent that does not project very far so it is more for your own enjoyment and peace of mind than it is to impress others. Samples of this can be ordered from the site "Aqua de Luna." This is the most natural smelling incense scent I've come across (the CDG incenses, such as those recommended above, while nice feature a very synthetic and irritating woody/incense note in the drydown.)
    (more info on Ankh. Also, note that although it lists the MSRP as $99, there is a 40% off promotion running which can be found by clicking the specials & promotions tab http://www.aquadeluna.com/en/products/ankh )

The other is

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Bois de Turquie - this is another one of my top 12 scents (out of the 400 or so i've smelled). It perfectly balances the spiritual/aesthetically pleasing elements, along with the masculine and feminine elements. It starts out with a sweet orange and orange blossom along with a nice dose of bay leaf. This progresses to a jasmine, cinnamon, ginger and iris heart with some dusty dry frankincense in the background, and finally dries down to a soft incense with hints of dark patchouli. The scent evolves wonderfully throughout the day but is always subtle and natural smelling, just as is Ankh. While its character is that of an oriental scent, its lightness makes it wearable in any weather and nearly any situation. (Luckyscent description here: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...e_Turquie.html )
    Awesome, they both sound wonderful...your descriptions are great, I'll most definitely try them. Man, you guys know your stuff...this will save me years of experimentation.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Essence of Jerusalem for Men

http://www.essenceofjerusalem.biz/

^ Near the bottom of the page, click on the link that says Perfumes for Men and Women

I see Buzzlepuff mentioned Let Me Play the Lion and I don't know how I forgot it. It's another beautiful and natural smelling incense scent that is subtle and yet spiritual. Whereas many incense scents are either churchy or green or lemony or what have you, this scent smells very golden orange in color. It is warm and dry and dusty and yet there is a note (carnation perhaps) that is utilized to perfection here that keeps it from being too dry. It adds a hint of creaminess and sexiness to something that could otherwise have become too harsh and austere. Another scent that I rank in the top 12 of all I've sniffed. (more information on Let Me Play the Lion here: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti..._the_Lion.html )
    That sounds right up my alley and it's been recommended twice so I'll try it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Another scent worth mention, simply because it is truly unique in its utter minimalism, is "Wicken 3000" by Six Scents. It does not smell like a perfume, per se, but instead simply like purified air with hints of a salty sea spray. It actually does a really good job of capturing both the smell of water (unchlorinated water, more like the scent of the water (not the plants) that permeates the air near a pond at sundown), and then transitioning into the scent of air, with a hint of salt. Luckyscent's description of the scent is pretty accurate IMO - http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...id=44902&attr=

I do find this to be a great scent to use for meditation or yoga as it is just so utterly minimalist and truly blends in with the wearer and ones surroundings, instead of calling attention to itself in any way. Despite being so minimalist it actually is fairly strong and lasts a long time.
    Minimalist sounds good to me; keep them coming if you think of any others...I'll order a bunch of samples from Luckyscent

Also note that Aedes.com does 7 samples for $15. Selection may not be as large as Lucky, but that's a good price for samples. Many lines are exclusive to certain department stores. For a slightly higher price, you can get samples of almost any fragrance that exists at theperfumedcourt.com

Spiritual: L'Artisan's Timbuktu

Masculine/Sensual: de Nicolai's New York or Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur

Clean Healthy (for those sensitive to scent): Gendarme (many people with allergies can only wear this scent) or L'Artisan's Navegar
    Last edited by MysteryBuff40; 16th August 2010 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    1. Gucci Pour Homme II: Smells like black tea, very calming and subtle. Generally though for meditation I wear any fragrances I LOVE but know they won't get me compliments, sort of my-alone-time-fragrances. Many vetivers or spicy complex scents fit there perfect.
    2. That's too general, I'd go for a good vetiver like Encre Noire or something like Narciso Rodriguez for Him EdP, or if you're willing to pay more, go for something with Aoud in it, like Amouage Gold, though at the same time most Aoud's are somewhat unisex. Animalic/deep/bitter Ambre's (as opposed to soft ones like Ambre Precieux) are good, I like CK Obsession even though it's not stricly an Ambre perfume, though it's too old for me and probably for you as well to make a signature masculine fragrance.
    3. No idea, not into "Sporty" fragrances, the only one I really like Allure Blanche Edition but it's not very natural smelling, smells like lemon tarts. But as far as I'm concerned, most synthetic fragrances are made with allergies in mind compared to fragrances that are made with natural ingredients. But I guess some people are allergic to chemicals in general. To be honest I'd recommend visiting one of those gift boutiques if you're close to one and grabbing something from there since they sell a lot of organic stuff, fragrances with allergies in consideration and such. I would even go for a nice smelling citrus body cream/lotion if you're really that concerned about allergic reaction. That if you don't consider putting a scented lotion too girly.

Good luck,
    -Ekove
    Haha, nah, it's not too girly, I'll try anything! Thanks, great recommendations. Any of those that might cover all 3-in-1? Something that's spiritual, sensual, and natural at once?

Thanks Ekove,
    Jeff

Hi Jeff
    I'm a newbie member too, but since I'm from Albuquerque, I thought I'd add my two cents, especially since I have a similar problem here in Los Angeles. You said that the fragrances you've tried don't last very long and that they can be overwhelming to sensitive people. I think it has a lot to do with the dry heat in Santa Fe and how you are applying it.
    I learned a valuable lesson during an extended stay in New Orleans when I was considering moving there - it seems that the humidity or dryness of a place definitely changes the scent and the sillage. In New Orleans I had to wear heavy heady scents that could withstand the humidity. The light perfume spritzes that I wear in Los Angeles just disappeared in New Orleans and burned off in New Mexico. Here in Los Angeles and when I go back home to New Mexico, I have to wear oils that are lightly scented; like body oils and then layer my fragrance. Anything else just fades away too quickly, or if it's too strong it becomes overwhelming in the dry heat.
    I've found that if I moisturize my skin before applying fragrance with a body oil, like sweet almond oil or jojoba oil, then layer the fragrance with a scented lotion and matching fragrance, it lasts much longer, I use less, and it's surprisingly more subtle.

I just thought of something you might want to experiment with. There is a woman who sells at the Pow Wows in New Mexico who makes scented massage oil with medicinal herbs. I bought a white sage massage oil from her that I use to moisturize my skin before I apply my fragrance. I like the way it very subtly changes the scent, but even more intriguing is that to me, makes it more "spiritual" because of the white sage. Her website is www.medicineofthepeople.net

Hi Jeff try these from the house of L'artisan Parfumeur:
    Timbuktu
    Dzongkha
    Al Oudh

I was thinking, Mugler Cologne could well be a match to all three.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes!

Seconding recs on Dzongkha & Timbuktu.

You should also give Serge Noire by Serge Lutens a sniff. It starts off fresh and camphoraceous, gets dry and incensey in the middle and peters off smoothly to mild spicy sweetness. An excellent masculine frag for meditation with moderate projection, but go easy on the trigger if you're planning to do some heavy duty workouts.

Also try Encens Flamboyant from Annick Goutal.

Spiritual , uplifting and sensual .... all covered by Homage from Amouage

The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I miss SF....spent alot of time there, lived there awhile and had my base/Drivers License in the state of NM for a few years. Even lived down the road from SF in a 200 year old adobe on the old SF trail for awhile which was retro fitted with water and electric so I wasn't too old school...hehehe
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    Essence of Jerusalem for Men

http://www.essenceofjerusalem.biz/

^ Near the bottom of the page, click on the link that says Perfumes for Men and Women
    Thanks, never heard of this one before, sounds good...

Quote Originally Posted by kärleksparfym View Post
    Also note that Aedes.com does 7 samples for $15. Selection may not be as large as Lucky, but that's a good price for samples. Many lines are exclusive to certain department stores. For a slightly higher price, you can get samples of almost any fragrance that exists at theperfumedcourt.com
    Thanks for this, this is going to save some money...

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    Spiritual: L'Artisan's Timbuktu

Masculine/Sensual: de Nicolai's New York or Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur

Clean Healthy (for those sensitive to scent): Gendarme (many people with allergies can only wear this scent) or L'Artisan's Navegar
    Do any of these cover all three aspects?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Jeff, you may want to consider pure oud oils and natural oil attars which could be a perfect for a spiritual person like yourself. Oud, sandalwood, rose, musk, vetiver and other traditional oils and oil blends can have a profound psycho-emotional effect. I'd try good Indonesian and Cambodian ouds (Oriscent's Blue Brunei, Oriscent Borneo Kinam, Oudimentary's KSSS) for both spiritual and masculine/sensual. As for clean/healthy there is plenty of good quality "regular" spray fragrances, you may like Creed's Millesime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water, or even Windsor for example.

Hi,
    Many of the scents recommended are very far from natural (for example CDG are self consciously synthetic heavy).
    I would recommended two all-natural perfumers held in very high regard by many around here Ayala Moriel and Dominique Dubrana (www.profumo.it).
    Also "Essentially Me" make excellent fragrances which are heavilly but not entirely natural.

Edit - igor01's oud oil suggestion is excellent!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbug Perfume Lover View Post
    I just thought of something you might want to experiment with. There is a woman who sells at the Pow Wows in New Mexico who makes scented massage oil with medicinal herbs. I bought a white sage massage oil from her that I use to moisturize my skin before I apply my fragrance. I like the way it very subtly changes the scent, but even more intriguing is that to me, makes it more "spiritual" because of the white sage. Her website is www.medicineofthepeople.net
    Cool website, and I like that she's local...thanks for sharing that

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Hi Jeff try these from the house of L'artisan Parfumeur:
    Timbuktu
    Dzongkha
    Al Oudh
    I will...that's the first I've heard of Dzongkha...very cool as I'm partial to Dzogchen Buddhism and several have recommended scents from L'artisan...seems a good fit for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbug Perfume Lover View Post
    Hi Jeff
    I'm a newbie member too, but since I'm from Albuquerque, I thought I'd add my two cents, especially since I have a similar problem here in Los Angeles. You said that the fragrances you've tried don't last very long and that they can be overwhelming to sensitive people. I think it has a lot to do with the dry heat in Santa Fe and how you are applying it.
    I learned a valuable lesson during an extended stay in New Orleans when I was considering moving there - it seems that the humidity or dryness of a place definitely changes the scent and the sillage. In New Orleans I had to wear heavy heady scents that could withstand the humidity. The light perfume spritzes that I wear in Los Angeles just disappeared in New Orleans and burned off in New Mexico. Here in Los Angeles and when I go back home to New Mexico, I have to wear oils that are lightly scented; like body oils and then layer my fragrance. Anything else just fades away too quickly, or if it's too strong it becomes overwhelming in the dry heat.
    I've found that if I moisturize my skin before applying fragrance with a body oil, like sweet almond oil or jojoba oil, then layer the fragrance with a scented lotion and matching fragrance, it lasts much longer, I use less, and it's surprisingly more subtle.
    Thanks for the great advice, a couple of others have recommended oils too. I know what you mean about the humidity in Narlens (as we call it in the south!) because I lived close by in Mobile. I don't know, seems like a lot of trouble tho, I'd like something low maintenance I can just spray and go. Based on your experience in NM what should I look for and what kinds of scents don't work here?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    I was thinking, Mugler Cologne could well be a match to all three.
    added to my list to try; I've read about it in other threads, sounds interesting

After not wearing it for quite some time I decided to put on Les Nez's Let Me Play The Lion today, which was recommended by someone else and which I seconded, earlier.

While I knew I loved the scent, in the absence of wearing it for so long I forgot just how amazing this scent really is. It absolutely fits the spiritual/meditative aspect of the equation, it is quite assuredly masculine and natural smelling, and I (and my g/f) find it to be quite sensual, although not outright sexy. It has excellent longevity and rather subdued sillage, which seems like the ideal combination of those attributes for the overall effect you are looking for (i.e wearing scent primarily for your own enjoyment with the scent being perceptible only to those who get in rather close to you).

I know you plan to sample this so in essence I'm preaching to the choir, but I just simply had to chime in again, as I absolutely love this scent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I was also going to recommend pure oud oil but Igor beat me to it! It's the only thing that fits all of you criteria!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Sur la Plage

I would recommend Kiehl's Musk in either the EDT or oil, or one of their other fragrance oils (Pour Homme, Amber, etc.) - http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/fragra...applicator.htm
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thumbs up Re: Recommendations please! for: 1) spiritual/uplifting, 2) sensual/masculine, and 3) natural/health

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes!

Seconding recs on Dzongkha & Timbuktu.

You should also give Serge Noire by Serge Lutens a sniff. It starts off fresh and camphoraceous, gets dry and incensey in the middle and peters off smoothly to mild spicy sweetness. An excellent masculine frag for meditation with moderate projection, but go easy on the trigger if you're planning to do some heavy duty workouts.

Also try Encens Flamboyant from Annick Goutal.
    Thanks, Serge Noire sounds interesting, I'll try it and Encens Flamboyant as well.

Thanks everyone for your kind and generous recommendations!

A couple of people have mentioned that my 2nd criteria, masculine/sensual, is too broad or general so since so many are kind enough to take the time to offer suggestions and I'm impressed with how much you guys and gals know about scents, what I've found so far is that unisex scents in general don't appeal to me, they're too feminine for my personality, but strongly masculine scents with no feminine qualities don't fit me either...I don't like going around smelling like a grizzly bear ;-) so I'm looking for something in between, something predominately masculine but that offers some contrast, a combo of masculine and feminine features that's say 3/4 masculine 1/4 feminine if that makes any sense...On the luckyscents scale, something midway between unisex and pure masculine (as well as spiritual/mystical and natural/healthy)...have there been any threads on this?

Thanks!
    Jeff
    Last edited by jnailen; 17th August 2010 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would recommend Kiehl's Musk in either the EDT or oil, or one of their other fragrance oils (Pour Homme, Amber, etc.) - http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/fragra...applicator.htm
    Thanks everyone! What is 'EDT'?

Sur la Plage

Thanks everyone! What is 'EDT'?
    Eau de Toilette
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Some KenzoKi beneficial waters are pretty good for yoga or meditation.
    Ginger(Euphoric), Bamboo(Energizing), White Lotus(Relaxing) and Rice Steam(Sensual)..personally i like all of them

you can log on to Kenzo fragrance website to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Jeff, you may want to consider pure oud oils and natural oil attars which could be a perfect for a spiritual person like yourself. Oud, sandalwood, rose, musk, vetiver and other traditional oils and oil blends can have a profound psycho-emotional effect. I'd try good Indonesian and Cambodian ouds (Oriscent's Blue Brunei, Oriscent Borneo Kinam, Oudimentary's KSSS) for both spiritual and masculine/sensual. As for clean/healthy there is plenty of good quality "regular" spray fragrances, you may like Creed's Millesime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water, or even Windsor for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Hi,
    Many of the scents recommended are very far from natural (for example CDG are self consciously synthetic heavy).
    I would recommended two all-natural perfumers held in very high regard by many around here Ayala Moriel and Dominique Dubrana (www.profumo.it).
    Also "Essentially Me" make excellent fragrances which are heavilly but not entirely natural.

Edit - igor01's oud oil suggestion is excellent!
    Thanks, these are some great recommendations. Jitterbug Perfume Lover also recommended using oils...what's the difference between oud oils and oil attars? Can you point me to a thread or page that might explain these?

Thanks,
    Jeff