Code of Conduct

Default Your greatest vintage finds! (I love these kinds of threads)

I love reading about everyone's (enviously excellent) vintage finds!

Yesterday I found a tiny bottle of vintage Shalimar for $10.00. And since my antiquing went so well, I went out to the antique warehouse this morning to try my luck.

And found a pristine never-been-opened vintage bottle of My Sin extrait for $20.00. I couldn't believe my luck. I'm actually scared to open it! It seems much too extravagant for me to have in my amateur collection.

So tell me about your greatest vintage finds or bargains! What was your proudest purchase? What was your greatest steal? What is the crowning vintage jewel of your collection? What was your first or last find? I want to hear all about them.

Default Re: Your greatest vintage finds! (I love these kinds of threads)

That's awesome, latelittlesleeper! :-) You found some amazing stuff.

I've had pretty good luck at the thrift stores. My best find was a half-full bottle of Ritz by Charles of the Ritz for an unbelievably low price. Also found a lot of ten Christian La Croix C'est La Vie mini's which I've enjoyed and have been swapping with other members.

I have a small lot of vintage scents my parents found for me at an estate sale. I can't remember what they gave for the whole box, but it wasn't more than $20 and it had My Sin, Arpege, a beautiful but broken bottle of Keora, a mini-set from Paris that included Magie Noire, Fidji, J'ai Ose and a few others, plus some other goodies.

I also found an out-of-print perfume reference book at an antique store that I paid $9 for and later sold on Amazon for $60.

Hillaire

Gosh, I'll bite... Those of you who have heard me toot my horn already about these finds, I am sorry!

Okay, ebay c. December. A set of not-just-vintage, but first-edition, Niki de Saint Phalle. All full and perfect-smelling. Two edps and one of the nice big extrait bottles, engraved with the first edition info and hand-painted...

The winning bidder: me.
    The amount: 30.00 USD (FREE SHIPPING)

Circa. Last month.
    Estate sale find! A brand new bottle of Coty Chypre, 50 ml. Mint.
    10USD.

A mostly full 30 ml crystal-stopper flagon Chanel 19 PARFUM from the seventies, fresh.
    Cost: 10 USD

I removed this after hearing from a miffed blogger I had used a copyrighted image from his/her? blog! A cautionary tale perhaps? I did not know that images harvested from google image searches were copyrighted! Now I do!

My poker face while checking out: Priceless.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 27th March 2010 at 12:57 AM.

Excuse my drooling, please!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

A couple of years ago, 5 or so, I found an almost full
    100ml (or was it 50?) bottle of vintage YSL Paris.
    Now, I didn't know it was anything special back then,
    and I couldn't stand it ... so, I gave it away!
    Total bummer! I would sooo love to still have that one.
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 8th March 2010 at 11:27 PM.

Nebraskalovesscent: I always seem to hear about estate sales late! Those were good finds. Also, vintage Magie Noire is one of my dream vintages! Someday...sigh.

Hillaire: Your finds are breathtaking! How is the Chypre? I've always been curious. The Chanel 19 parfum made my jaw drop.

Nostalgie: Me too.

Le Grand Duc:

I once gave away one of those old egg-shaped bottles of Donna Karan Black Cashmere because it wasn't a good scent for me. Now I love that dark-saffrony incense and wish I had it back! It wasn't vintage, but I still regret it. There should be a thread just for those regretful mistakes you made in your early perfumista days.

I'm reading this thread and trying not to turn green (as in Envy). All I can say is WOW. Some impressive finds, esp the Chypre and the No 19.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by latelittlesleeper View Post

Hillaire: Your finds are breathtaking! How is the Chypre? I've always been curious. The Chanel 19 parfum made my jaw drop.
    The Chypre is gorgeous! I did not know it before, which I am ashamed of, as it's so important. And smelling it made me realize how amazing its influence was. There would be no Mitsouko, no Y, no nothing without it, you know? And it is utterly perfect. I like it much more than Mitsouko to be honest, it's lovelier.

Older Chanel No. 5 parfum $12

Shalimar edc in disk flacon under $30

Mystery Guerlain edc in disk flacon under $20 (99% sure it's Vol de Nuit and it's huge, at least 6 oz.)

Arpege parfum unopened still in wrappers--heavenly

Raphael Replique edt and parfum (first vintage purchases and my SotD today)

I LOVE the vintage stuff!
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Hermès Amazone EdP (30 ml) and EdT (100 ml) almost full testers for 5 € each.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/231462-Herms-Amazone
    Last edited by tigrushka; 9th March 2010 at 04:23 AM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Well, my dear, I don't know about enviously excellent here, but I sure had fun hunting this summer.
    Here are my best finds.

I'm like the world's worst photographer. Even with a digital. The one on the left is my favorite, I somehow forgot about it on your other thread. It's Molinard de Molinard, and after some research I think it's from its release year (and my birth year, 1979, making it extra special ). I wore it a lot last summer. So pretty. I can't bring myself to share this one with anyone.
    The middle one is an extremely beat up bottle of Bellodgia. I was chatting and sniffing with the gal who actually ran a fume counter at one particular antique shop, and, unlike Hillaire, I have baaaad poker face, and I got really excited about that one. The gal's like, "Ohhh, that's a good old one!" and I'm like, D@mn! She sold it to me for $6, though, and despite the bottle's appearance, the fume is still intact. Then there's my Tabu violin, my Infini, and my $5 Joy.

I seriously had no idea what I was looking for, only that I really wanted to score some Carons or Guerlains (the latter of which seems impossibly elusive in brick & mortar; I would have guessed it's the other way around). Anyways, we took a trip to the coast last July and I got all excited about these babies....

*Ahem* Yeah, umm so the first one is called Fantaisie and the most I could find on it once we got back home was that it possibly came in a French souvenir fume set. The third one is Croyance by Charles V; I think they were somewhat prolific in the 50s. I don't know what they'd be akin to now, but there sure were a lot of these minis in the coast antique shops.

The middle one... ah the middle one. I found it at the same shop I found the Bellodgia. For $2, the nearly empty mini had all of its label disintegrated and faded, but for one word-- Lyric. And I tell you I seriously thought I had found myself a mini of vintage Amouage Lyric. I cannot tell you how silly I felt when I came home and learned that the Amouage had been around for all of a year and a half. My little treasure turned out to be one of a trio exclusive to Sears in the 50s. The brand was Lyric, the perfume Private Life.

Antaeusintheair: Today at the antique barn I saw what looked to be a giant old Shalimar disk flacon fatice, but there was only a little ambery liquid at the bottom with floaties and it looked so much like vintage perfume I double-taked.

Sunnyfunny, I love hearing your stories. I have seen a newer (newish?) bottle of Molinard de Molinard. I wonder if it's as good as your vintage! What is the scent like?

Aww, Latelittlesleeper, you're so nice! M de M is really green and pine-y. I've heard it described as intensely feminine and floral, with vague green undertones. I found it to be quite unisex and not really floral, at all. It's almost dark, to me. Like being in a forest on a cool, windy sunny day. Imagine smelling that in the 95-degree heat..
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 9th March 2010 at 04:56 AM.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Hi!!!

You can see our vintage here ( Marika's & mines)-slide on the left

http://bergamottoebenzoino.blogspot.com/
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Sorry no digital camera for a photo.

On a wander round ebay UK I put Caron in as usual and instead just fragrance did the full All Cat. Yes there are brands called Caron in craft and leg waxing !!!!!!!!! So in the wrong cat I spotted this bottle of Fleurs de Rocaille and had a read, the guy did not sell fragrance but electronic stuff usually. Hey that was why it was in the wrong listing. So there in the photo full description a 1960 75ml size of Fleurs in parfum. The wire was still on it and though a little evaporation pefect. I got out my Caron book and the photos matched the box everything. The price was £23 starting and one day to go, I put it in my ebay and waited. No one else found it and I won it for the £23!!!!!!! It was the real thing, the top notes have faded a little not much considering the age. My hands were actually shaking cutting the gold wire. The seller was listing stuff on behalf of a neighbour having a clear out.
    DONNA

Eva Pasco

Though Tabu can be had for a song at most online perfume vendors, I once found a Tabu gift set at Christmas Tree Shop for about $5.

Hillaire, thanks for posting a picture of the vintage box for Chypre de Coty, I have never seen it before -- trees and roots and roses.

My fave bargain is a tiny vintage Le De by Givenchy, it was a mis-spell. My fave perfume is a cut glass bottle of Carven Ma Griff, half full of really well kept pure perfume. The smell is divine. Another is a vintage, beautiful mini of Farouche by Nina Ricci.

I'm loving this thread. I have the day off from work today and I've now been inspired to go antiquing and thrift-store shopping. Hope I'll come home with some fun bargains to share!

Many, I don't remember the prices but it wsa a real bargain in all cases.
    My Sin vintage EdT
    Schiaparelli Shocking You
    Chanel 19 vintage
    Cher, Deneuve, Vivara - all miniatures vintage
    Mitsouko EdT vintage (onion-shaped bottle)
    +++
    Last edited by Alicka61; 9th March 2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added

I've never found a single bottle in an antique store that I'd want to buy for its contents. There's a store in New Orleans that has an old bottle of Fete de Molyneux right in the sunny front window, and it's been there for years and years. It's more than half full but the juice is as dark as molasses and I'm sure it's completely cooked (and the owner happens to be batty and sort of mean, and you have to ring the bell to even get inside... she just doesn't make it very pleasant so I've never even bothered pricing it.) And as many of you have noted elsewhere in the forum, lots of antique store owners actually pour the perfume out to display the bottles - it just makes me sick to think about that.

I've had some luck on eBay, but my best vintage finds always seem to be from those charming and quirky old drug stores, the kind that still have soda fountains, or did until recently. I knew of several in and around Boston and New Orleans that always seemed to have new old-stock (one of my very favorite phrases!) I've found sealed boxes of Ralph Lauren's Tuxedo and Chanel No. 22 (extrait!), as well vintage Chamade, Rive Gauche, Vent Vert, Gucci No.1 and Givenchy III all from these old pharmacies, and usually for no more than about $10 per bottle.

Oh my gosh. I went back to the antiques warehouse today to dig through the cold back lot section, where everything's just in this dark shed area and found an unopened bottle of Coty La Rose Jacqueminot for 6 dollars! I couldn't believe it. I just stared at it for a long time and then shakily bought it. And hoped the 6 wasn't really $60.00 or $600.00 or something!

And then I also found a bottle of Lentheric Gardenia de Tahiti still in its box, but more than 65% gone. But it smelled so pretty anyway, so I bought it.

Augh, now I have vintage exhaustion.

These are great stories. Maybe my dream that one day I will find a bottle of Guerlain Djedi somewhere for next to nothing might not be so insane after all

I got a great bottle of vintage Jicky EdT and some fairly old Joy parfum on eBay for very little, but other than that I don't have anything interesting.

Perhaps the fact that Coty has destroyed its reputation shows that every cloud has a silver lining -it should mean I don't have to pay too much for that bottle of Chypre when I actually find one somewhere...
    Last edited by sean-dt; 10th March 2010 at 05:33 AM.

My precious vintage aquisition is the Guerlain Nahema perfume into such a BEAUTIFUL botlle .
    Kill all my demons and my angels might die, too (TW)

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    ....my best vintage finds always seem to be from those charming and quirky old drug stores, the kind that still have soda fountains, or did until recently. I knew of several in and around Boston and New Orleans that always seemed to have new old-stock (one of my very favorite phrases!) I've found sealed boxes of Ralph Lauren's Tuxedo and Chanel No. 22 (extrait!), as well vintage Chamade, Rive Gauche, Vent Vert, Gucci No.1 and Givenchy III all from these old pharmacies, and usually for no more than about $10 per bottle.
    How fabulous! Oh how I wish we had those kinds of places in the Northwest. Maybe we do, and I've just never paid attention!

Oh my gosh. I went back to the antiques warehouse today to dig through the cold back lot section, where everything's just in this dark shed area and found an unopened bottle of Coty La Rose Jacqueminot for 6 dollars! I couldn't believe it. I just stared at it for a long time and then shakily bought it. And hoped the 6 wasn't really $60.00 or $600.00 or something!
    That is like thrilling. This thread makes me want to go hunting again. But here's the thing-- I have determined that I'm not a huge vintage fume fan! I far prefer modern perfumery. But I'm getting such a vicarious thrill from you all that I totally want to go buy mass quantities of vintage fumes I'll wear once. This is where the addiction lies, for me, I'm afraid....

Basenotes Plus

And then I also found a bottle of Lentheric Gardenia de Tahiti still in its box, but more than 65% gone. But it smelled so pretty anyway, so I bought it.

Congratulations! You have won the perfume shopping olympics gold medal!
    what a find! Inquiring minds want to know if you are going to open it

Great find, congratulations! Any chance you are going back there any time soon and have another $6.00 to spend? Have an address, will pay shipment costs.

I just stared at the La Rose for a while and tried to decide what to do! I was all hung up because, if I OPEN it, that's IT. I'm becoming a REAL perfume collector! I can't just pretend I'm DABBLING anymore or I just LIKE perfume. And that's a big responsibility! Maybe I was in denial, but I realized if I opened something like the La Rose, I'd have to admit this is a REAL thing, not just a part-time thing...Does that make sense? Has anyone else ever had a moment where they realized they were really doing this perfume collection thing and not just playing with pretty perfumes?

And then I thought I could sell it. But I realized a.) I'd just end up spending the money on MORE perfume! And b.) I might never ever find a bottle like this again.

SO. I opened it. (or my husband did, it was stuck!) And I'm going to wear it, because I don't want to leave behind little hidden-away boxes of fumes that were never opened and enjoyed when I die. I feel like, that's how I came about finding these at the antique store to begin with.

Sunnyfunny, I hear you about liking moderns better. For me there's a trade-off. There's more variety in moderns (while it seems like, in some eras, they just threw oak moss and civet into every single vintage fume), yet sometimes I feel like there is more depth and richness in vintage, because they're pre-IFRA restrictions on EVERYTHING.

Twolf, I'm going to keep my eye out, but it was the only little Coty bottle on this tray surrounded by newer versions of White Diamonds and a mostly-empty, modern bottle of Dolce Vita. And they were all priced higher! It was completely surreal.

I have no vintage finds to report but you ladies make me want to rush right now and explore all the dusty fully-stacked little antique shops. :-)

bonsai, you should! I had been putting it off for a while because I thought the prices would all be high. But I don't think anyone had ever shopped through my area, looking for vintage perfume. All of the vendors were confused about my inquiries and there were a lot of empty perfume BOTTLES here and there, and I am pretty sure they were selling the perfumes I bought for their bottles sake only. It's outrageous! You should check to see if there's anything languishing around on a lonely shelf, waiting for you to come find them.

Wow, latelittlesleeper! I can't believe your terrific luck! Another great find there!

I visited three thrift stores and an antique store. Not a lot of perfumes for sale, but I did come away with a vintage Norell set (Cologne, Eau de Parfum) for $5. The cologne is from manufacturer Norell and is the original formula. The EDP lists Prestige Fragrances as the manufacturer. Not sure why two different manufacturers were in one box set, but both still smell great and the price was right. I'm happy!

Nebraskalovesscent! I'm so glad you shared. I'm attending my friend's funeral this weekend and I've been trying to think about what I should wear. It sounds silly to worry about that, but she was the only rl perfumista I've known. You just reminded me that Norell was her signature! She even gave me an old bottle of the cologne splash once. I'm going to wear it in her honor. Thank you.

Hillaire

OMG faints.... WHAT AMAZING LUCK!

That is incredible. Please review that one for us. Wanna swap samples?

A one dram bottle of unopened original Bandit parfum =)
    $15.

A few days ago I went to my favorite local auction. This place usually has perfumes from house cleanouts and I was particularly happy to see a 3 oz nearly full bottle of Cher's Uninhibited, a bottle of original Tova, original vintage Ralph Lauren Safari and some other perfumes all in one lot, I purchased them all for just $32.50.

I am keeping the Cher for myself, because I fell in love with it, still good after 20 years too! I am selling the Safari and Tova...

Those are my best finds lately!

Hi,
    I'm new here (although I've lurked for months !) My name is Sue Im 48 & live in the UK. Anyway, I'd like to share this story with anyone who might be interested. The other day when visiting my Mum I asked her if she still had YSL Nu (she's had the soap on her bathroom shelf for years & I knew that it was part of a gift set that my Dad had got her for Christmas) She went to look, I followed & sat on her bed. She opened a drawer & proceeded to toss several boxes of perfume onto the bed. I couldn't believe what was there, they were all practically full bottles & some were completely unopened. Here's a few details:

Fete de Molyneux - small circular frosted glass bottle etched all round with roses in a cream satin lined flip top box. Back of box says "flacon por le sac" 90% full & I'm sure is unspoilt. This one looks really old & I think it may be as old as me.

Givenchy Le De Parfum, this one's in a cream water marked satin box & sits on a plinth. Inside is little Givenchy ticket with 017,83 stamped on it. It has black cord round the neck that hasn't been cut & what appears to be a waxy type seal around the neck, but the bottle only looks about 90% full. I'm not sure if it has been opened & the stopper is jammed or if it has never been opened.

Miss Dior Esprit De Parfum - plain white houndstooth embossed box with pale greyish beige border still unopened in cellophane.

Guerlain Chamade in ribbed bottle with press down gold top sprayer - the box was priced £12.50.

Also there was Lumiere, Magie Noire Parfum, old Madame Rochas (in cellophane) from 70's maybe ? Coco Parfum ( I think from late 1980's). There were 3 or 4 others too, but the names escape me at the moment.

I left with the Le De, Fete de Molyneux, & Miss Dior - oh & I mustn't forget, we also found the much craved after full bottle of Nu plus a 1.5 too. Thanks Mum !

I hope I've posted this in the correct place & would be very grateful to anyone who could give me a little more information particularly regarding the Fete de Molyneux, & also how to safely open the bottle of Le De. I really enjoy Basenotes & the knowledge of some folks here is outstanding - I've learnt so much. Thank you for reading this.

I obtained what I have been able to figure out is the only bottle of Breeze that is known to the public. The bottle alone, over 10 inches tall and wide, is beautiful alone. The fragrance is also quite pleasing.Deco Bottle.jpg
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Basenotes Plus

welcome indigo and glad you have stopped lurking.

Thank you Mum, indeed! I got goosebumps just reading your account.

I hope others with greater experience will step in on how to open the bottle (as I've never had the pleasure) but I don't think your LeDe has been previously opened, just lost a little content due to normal evaporation. Because all was stored in a dark drawer, it all should still smell great.

I have a Chamade as you describe and it's divine. Enjoy your Nu, one of my faves.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I just love this thread!
    I am rather fortunate when it comes to finding fabulous vintage goodies...

About 3 weeks ago I found these two bottles of Yardley's English Lavender, the smaller one in a crystal flacon, and the larger almost 1 litre in size with a stunning crystal stopper. Both supposedly late 1940s. $48 the pair.

My big score online a week or so ago is this trio of Guerlain goodies. A baccarat cobalt blue vintage bottle of an unknown Guerlain perfume (the seller cant make out the name on the sticker on the base), a vintage L'Heure Bleue talcum powder glass bottle with RARE metal cap and sprinkler (normally in black bakelite), and a black baccarat bottle of Guerlain Liu from the 1930s, with box. The price of this lot: $110.
    Im watching the letterbox like a hawk daily, as they're due to arrive anyminutenow.

Several months ago I stumbled upon an ebay auction for a 7.5ml Guerlain Chant d'Aromes extrait in PRISTINE condition, and bought it for $30! The seller then told me he had a second bottle he was ready to list, and sold it to me for the same price as the first! So lightning really can strike in the same place twice!

My father (knowing I am a vintage scent collector) recently found for me a vintage 1/2 oz of vintage Shalimar extrait at a fleamarket for 5 euros, and a very rare boxed set of 12 Weil Secrets de Venus bath oils, including Noir, Cassandra and Zibeline scents, for 4 euros!
    I dont have pics to post of the Weil set yet, as they are still at his house in Athens, but the Shalimar can be seen in this pic below he sent from his phone of a selection of stuff he found:

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 15th August 2010 at 12:28 AM.

I have had a few modest lucky finds in the last couple of years courtesy of two of the few remaining 'owner / operator' pharmacy and perfumery stores still in business in Kowloon.

Guerlain Parrure 50 ml EDC & Vol de Nuit 100ml EDC, both in the black & white boxes.
    Guerlain Mitsouko Parfum de Toilette - 50 or 60 ml tester, easily the richest rendition of Mitsouko I have ever come across.
    Guerlain Mitsouko & Shalimar Parfum - small comfret size in their own boxes.
    Eau de Patou - both versions, late 70s and early 80s. Nothing really comes close . . .
    Patou Pour Homme - 60 ml. This is as good as they say it is.
    Maxims Pour Homme - I really love this one, very understated and autumnal.
    Caron Yatagan splash - another very warm, reassuring one - it's not scary at all.

No specific dates but these were all carried in the eighties and in mint condition - the couple of owners I met are all of that generation, lamenitng what perfume has become, and happy to chat about the good old days. One lady showed me the Guerlain Training Certificate she received after completing the SA course in Paris back in the 70s or thereabouts . . . lovely people. They have my hit list, still hoping some vintage LHB or Apres L'Ondee might turn up.

Basenotes Plus

So, dear fume fiends, I recently won an Evil bay auction and spent $11.74 (including the shipping) on 8 bottles of older used perfumes. Four are not worth mentioning (turned &/or just plain horrid, can't tell which).

From a memorabilia perspective, this one is interesting- Pageant "mist cologne sweet" by Rexall Drugs. the scent is borderline awful, and certainly not sweet, but the flacon is an avocado green aerosol can with 3 orange pinwheel designs embossed on it. Very kitschy 1960's looking and rexall is very Americana. This bottle would look marvelous with an era frig and orange shag carpet.

Now, on to the good stuff:
    12 oz splash bottle (60% full) of Lentheric Tweed Light and Lavish Cologne. Juice appears to be good, as it smells as described in reviews.
    7 inch high square splash bottle (30% full) of Parfums Forvil EDC 5 Fleurs. Perfume Intelligence dates this from 1900, our database says circa 1930, now discontinued. I can't pick out all 5 flowers, but the juice is still rich with gardenia, jasmin, and maybe lilac. I sampled and it lasted about 4 hours on my skin. wow!

Finally, the reason I bid on this lot- a 7 oz splash bottle of Parfums Weil Zibeline EDT, 85% full. Never having been able to sample this before, I'd venture the opinion that Miss Zib might have lost some topnotes, as I don't get an aldehyde opening, just a touch of spice. But the heart and the drydown are rich, warm, luxurious. After about 10 minutes it behaves the way I wish Chanel No 5 would act on my skin, and never has. I wish I'd owned this when I lived for two winters in the Montreal. Wearing my thrift store seal coat or my mom's old mink jacket bathed in this would have deflected any icy wind the St Lawrence could throw at me. Gosh, I am so lucky with this find.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Is a 28 gr sealed bottle of Arpege extrait from the 60s a bargain at $17.31? How about a 7ml flaconnette of Joy parfum for $12.99?

I thought they were until I saw the bargains posted here...UNBELIEVABLE.