Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Ladies, men's frag that's: 1) spiritual/uplifting, 2) sensual/masculine, 3) natural/healthy?

Hello Ladies of Basenote!

Newbie here. Great site, so glad I found it! I need some recommendations from you fragrance aficionados to get the female perspective on some great men's colognes to try out...

I've seen some threads using one or two of these criteria, but not all 3, so hopefully using these 3 criteria will help narrow down the list a bit!

I'm a holistic fitness trainer in my 40s living in sunny Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. I'm looking for a fragrance that fits my personality and makes me feel great!

Great to me is:

1) I'm spiritual but not religious (authentic tantra yoga) so I'm looking for something uplifting/inspiring that is meditative, contemplative, mystical in its vibe that might enhance meditation; not necessarily 'churchy,' but something mystical and perhaps outdoorsy for inspiring me to want to commune with nature or meditate or practice yoga outside

2) Masculine/sensual/sexy: I'm masculine, hetero, and single and like a bold confident scent that brings out/complements the masculine/cocky 'Rolling Stones' side of my personality without being overpowering/overwhelming; masculine yet subtle ya know...not a 'club scene' 'player' scent appropriate for when I was in my 20s nor a 'mature' scent appropriate for a gentleman in his 60s but something in between...something women in their 30s may also like...but it's more important that it energizes me!

3) Natural/healthy/sporty: not just something that smells natural and earthy, but one that is natural using natural ingredients as much as possible without too many chemicals to worry about and that is humane/animal friendly...this is a personal preference as well as a requirement as I work with a few clients with chemical sensitivities who request I wear no cologne (or at least no 'cheap' ones), so it can't be offensive...

Wow, that's kinda detailed and a lot to ask for from a single fragrance, but there are many multidimensional fragrances out there and hopefully this will narrow down the list! Price is of no concern because I'm looking for quality...it's ok if it's expensive, even preferable as it'll likely be more unique...

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this long shopping list and offers recommendations, I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Last edited by jnailen; 16th August 2010 at 02:58 AM.

Default Re: Ladies, men's frag that's: 1) spiritual/uplifting, 2) sensual/masculine, 3) natural/healthy?

Aloha jnailen, and welcome to Basenotes! If you haven't tried L'Artisan L'Eau de Jatamansi, I highly recommend it. Great for both men and women, and especially good in the warmer months, IMO. I'm going to give you a link, so that you can read about it:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=15228

For your non-work days, and if you are willing to give up the all-natural criterion, L'Artisan Timbuktu is a most amazing, uplifting fragrance. Here is a link (BTW, I have no affiliation with L'Artisan or Luckyscent beyond being a big fan of both!):

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=15210

Best wishes with your quest!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ladies, men's frag that's: 1) spiritual/uplifting, 2) sensual/masculine, 3) natural/healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Aloha jnailen, and welcome to Basenotes! If you haven't tried L'Artisan L'Eau de Jatamansi, I highly recommend it. Great for both men and women, and especially good in the warmer months, IMO. I'm going to give you a link, so that you can read about it:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=15228

For your non-work days, and if you are willing to give up the all-natural criterion, L'Artisan Timbuktu is a most amazing, uplifting fragrance. Here is a link (BTW, I have no affiliation with L'Artisan or Luckyscent beyond being a big fan of both!):

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=15210

Best wishes with your quest!
    Thanks so much Haunani! I'll try both...Timbuktu seems to be a favorite on the forums...and I'll try Jatamansi as well...

It doesn't have to be 'all-natural' just predominantly so and humane/animal/environmentally friendly!!

I'm looking for the best combo of spiritual/sexy/natural, whatever can give me the best blend of these.

Thanks for your warm welcome...

Jeff
    Last edited by jnailen; 15th August 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Hillaire

Welcome!!

I like your set of criteria (good thing you mentioned 'not necessarily churchy', as I have noticed the adjective "spiritual" conjuring incense fragrances lots around here.), this is great challenge.

Rather than belaboring details, I'll make a short list of the fragrances that came instantly to my mind, with the assurance that I consider these all to be at once 'natural'-smelling, bold, seductive, and 'mystically'-inspiring.

The Different Company Bois d'Iris
    Amouage Tribute
    Amouage Homage
    Lubin Idole
    Sonoma Scent Studio Amber Noir
    Oliver Durbano Black Tourmanline
    Histoire de Parfums Marquis de Sade
    Mazzolari Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thanks so much Hillaire you're great...

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I consider these all to be at once 'natural'-smelling, bold, seductive, and 'mystically'-inspiring.
    Bingo, exactly what I'm looking for!

Follow-up: I've never heard of any of these so I'm anxious to try them; well except for 'Histoire de Parfums Marquis de Sade' it might be killer but I won't wear something named after that guy, but want to try the others...is there a one-stop-shop where I might find samples of these?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by jnailen View Post
    Awesome! Thanks so much Hillaire you're great...

Bingo, exactly what I'm looking for!

Follow-up: I've never heard of any of these so I'm anxious to try them; well except for 'Histoire de Parfums Marquis de Sade' it might be killer but I won't wear something named after that guy, but want to try the others...is there a one-stop-shop where I might find samples of these?

Thanks,
    Jeff

You can sample them all from 'The Perfumed Court'. (Sonoma Scent Studio samples might have to be gotten from their website.)

Or for slightly less money, you can sample the following from luckyscent, pretty sure.

Amouage Tribute
    Amouage Homage
    Lubin Idole

Mazzolari Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    You can sample them all from 'The Perfumed Court'. (Sonoma Scent Studio samples might have to be gotten from their website.)

Or for slightly less money, you can sample the following from luckyscent, pretty sure.

Amouage Tribute
    Amouage Homage
    Lubin Idole

Mazzolari Vetiver
    Thanks Hillaire! Haunani recommended luckyscent too, so I'll go with them. If you think of any other scents I should try let me know; when this thread dies I'll order a bunch of recommended samples! Love getting feminine perspectives...

Thanks,
    Jeff

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

My first thought was Diptyque Tam Dao.

Spiritual? check. Tam Dao is not church-y as in incense, but it is very meditative, calming, zen-like.
    Sensual? check. Definitely sexy in a subtle, not-in-your-face sort of way.
    Natural? hmmm According to the Diptyque page on BeautyHabit, they are all natural.

Tam Dao notes: sandalwood, rosewood, ambergris and cypress.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    My first thought was Diptyque Tam Dao.

Spiritual? check. Tam Dao is not church-y as in incense, but it is very meditative, calming, zen-like.
    Sensual? check. Definitely sexy in a subtle, not-in-your-face sort of way.
    Natural? hmmm According to the Diptyque page on BeautyHabit, they are all natural.

Tam Dao notes: sandalwood, rosewood, ambergris and cypress.
    Thanks shadesofbleu, I'll try it! I like the name too as I'm quite sympathetic to Taoism; I know "A rose by any other name smells just as sweet" but the name provides a clue to the intentions behind the scent and to me is part of the overall energy/vibe or larger Essence of the essence. I can't even bring myself to try 'Egoiste' no matter how good it may smell because of the obnoxious name, silly I know but to me that's part of it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I second the suggestions of Diptyque Tam Dao and The Different Company Bois d'Iris. The latter is another of my top favorite fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Two personal recommendations for these two from Basenote ladies = definite sampling by me!

Thanks,
    Jeff

Welcome!

2) Masculine/sensual/sexy: I'm masculine, hetero, and single and like a bold confident scent that brings out/complements the masculine/cocky 'Rolling Stones' side of my personality without being overpowering/overwhelming; masculine yet subtle ya know...not a 'club scene' 'player' scent appropriate for when I was in my 20s nor a 'mature' scent appropriate for a gentleman in his 60s but something in between...something women in their 30s may also like...but it's more important that it energizes me!
    I think you could do a lot worse than Guerlain's Derby, if you can track it down. It's fantastic, but hard to come by now and damned expensive when you do find it. You can read about it on Basenotes here, and the Perfumed Court has samples up for grabs here. I think it's great, wear it all the time, and I'm almost in my thirties. Just a couple of years to go.

Habit Rouge is a slightly softer, fruitier alternative. Still great and much easier to find, but I prefer Derby's rough edges.

PS I've sent you to TPC's original Derby samples, but they also have the reissue available so do click around the site. Mmm, god, it's such a great fragrance. I would love to meet a man who wore Derby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mel_lou View Post
    Welcome!

I think you could do a lot worse than Guerlain's Derby, if you can track it down. It's fantastic, but hard to come by now and damned expensive when you do find it. You can read about it on Basenotes here, and the Perfumed Court has samples up for grabs here. I think it's great, wear it all the time, and I'm almost in my thirties. Just a couple of years to go.

Habit Rouge is a slightly softer, fruitier alternative. Still great and much easier to find, but I prefer Derby's rough edges.

PS I've sent you to TPC's original Derby samples, but they also have the reissue available so do click around the site. Mmm, god, it's such a great fragrance. I would love to meet a man who wore Derby!
    Thanks mel_lou, with such a strong recommendation I'll check it out!

If you wear it all the time would you consider it unisex?

Unisex scents in general don't appeal to me, they're too feminine for my personality, but strongly masculine scents with no feminine qualities don't fit me either...I don't like going around smelling like a flower or a grizzly bear ;-) so I'm looking for something in between, something predominately masculine but that offers some contrast, a combo of masculine and feminine features that's say 3/4 masculine 1/4 feminine if that makes any sense...On the luckyscents scale, something midway between unisex and pure masculine...maybe Derby is like this, I don't know, but I'll def. get a sample!

Thanks,
    Jeff

...I'll try both...Timbuktu seems to be a favorite on the forums...
    Also, I see that some of the guys recommended that you try Dzongkha and Navegar. Those are both wonderful fragrances, too!

Oh, and do try Terre d'Hermes. It's probably my top favorite on my husband. It's both uplifting and sexy!

L'Air du Desert Marocain springs to my mind, or perhaps one of the other Tauer frags. I think the emphasis is on natural ingredients with Tauer Perfumes & L'Air just might fit your bill !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mel_lou View Post
    Welcome!

I just read the reviews for Derby you sent me to and you're right, it sounds right up my alley so I'm looking forward to trying it!

I just read the reviews for Derby you sent me to and you're right, it sounds right up my alley so I'm looking forward to trying it!
    Cool! Word of caution, though - I hadn't realised you were looking for a scent that covered all three items on your shopping list when I recommended it. I have no idea if Guerlain fits your natural requirement. I suspect not. But you should still try Derby, because it's awesome! To answer your earlier question, I'd put it somewhere between masculine and unisex on the LuckyScent scale, but gender classifications are totally subjective. Take my judgement with a pinch of salt.

It's a fabulous perfume. In fact, right before I commented to you I went and bought another decant to keep me going!

Mel_lou and jnailen, this discussion inspired me to get out my sample of Derby (thanks to Primrose!) and try it today. Oh, my – it's gorgeous! Refreshing top, subtle leather, classy well-blended woods and moss, and a wonderful – I mean wonderful – vetiver drydown. Seems seasonless, and I agree that it's on the masculine side of "unisex".

Well, definitely check out The Posh Peasant website for samples - located right there in your home town!
    A. Goutal Ambre Fetiche
    Hermes Hiris
    PdN Vanille Tonka and Patchouli Homme (Intense)

I agree with Bois d'Iris by TDC
    Maybe Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    Tam Dao, or slightly sweeter PG Cadjmere

Welcome to Basenotes - from a fellow NMer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Mel_lou and jnailen, this discussion inspired me to get out my sample of Derby (thanks to Primrose!) and try it today. Oh, my – it's gorgeous! Refreshing top, subtle leather, classy well-blended woods and moss, and a wonderful – I mean wonderful – vetiver drydown. Seems seasonless, and I agree that it's on the masculine side of "unisex".
    Wow, these are some strong recommendations for Derby from the ladies, can't wait to try it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Well, definitely check out The Posh Peasant website for samples - located right there in your home town!
    A. Goutal Ambre Fetiche
    Hermes Hiris
    PdN Vanille Tonka and Patchouli Homme (Intense)

I agree with Bois d'Iris by TDC
    Maybe Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    Tam Dao, or slightly sweeter PG Cadjmere

Welcome to Basenotes - from a fellow NMer
    Great, thanks so much cello...I didn't know about Posh Peasant, so thanks for that too! What part of the state are you in?
    Jeff

Jeff, I'm in Abq, and I just ordered a big sample selection from Posh Peasant - very good service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Jeff, I'm in Abq, and I just ordered a big sample selection from Posh Peasant - very good service.
    Thanks, I checked out her website and sent her an email over the weekend but haven't heard back from her yet, so I hope she gets back to me as it would be nice to support someone local. Do you play the cello?
    Jeff
    Jeff Nailen
    Holistic Fitness Trainer
    www.SantaFeWay.com
    Weigh different.

Thanks, I checked out her website and sent her an email over the weekend but haven't heard back from her yet, so I hope she gets back to me as it would be nice to support someone local. Do you play the cello?
    Jeff
    Many, many years ago I did - now it is just the name of my cat