Code of Conduct

Default Dior Homme VS Dior Homme Intense - Worth the extra $?

I like the original, I just test run it and was looking at buying it. I also came across the 'Intense' variety for more money and the same size bottle. I haven't had chance to sample it but is it really worth the extra coin?

What's the major difference in the notes? I guess the 'Intense' EDP packs more sillage and longevity but is there that much difference in the note development?
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Default Re: Dior Homme VS Dior Homme Intense - Worth the extra $?

It's sweeter but lasts better on me. I find it worth the extra $. I have the cologne as well, but when I run out of the three (I didn't care for the fourth--sports), I'll buy the EdP. It's going to be available on permanent basis not like when it was first released. I love this fragrance very much. Dior impressed me the last few years.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Yes!

Very different scents, though, it's not a more
    intense version of the regular Dior Homme!

Do a forum search, this
    has been up a couple
    of times before..!

I did read the reviews and there is quite an abundance of the EDT ones there aren't many of the EDP ones. The 'sweeter', is it from the Iris, which I think is nice in the EDT I tested but the few reviews on the EDP say that note is toned down in it. Which note is providing the 'sweeter' vibe?

My skin is a scent swallower so I could get away with an EDP and not have it power off me.

Dior Homme Intense is borderline gourmand,
    it's very chocolaty, something the regular one
    isen't. I adore both, but like Intense the most!

It's not widely avalible in the States, though,
    so you'll have to buy it online.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Yes!

Very different scents, though, it's not a more
    intense version of the regular Dior Homme!

Do a forum search, this
    has been up a couple
    of times before..!
    My search techniques must leave something to be desired cause I only got back a few that pertained to the comparison and there wasn't much replies in them either. I got the most input from reviews.

I guess the reviews go into saying that there's more choco in the Intense, is the vanilla played down in comparison? I thought I could smell the choco in the original just fine through the heart and when the base came up it had more of a woody amber vibe to it.

I didn't really feel like the EDT was too feminine but wouldn't be adverse to having it be more masculine as long as it held the overall note feel to it.

Read this: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...me-Vs.-Intense

They are IMHO very different and one can prefer original over Intense. Do not buy without testing.

Intense is less sharp, more sweet, almost gourmandish with better longetivity.
    Original is freshier at top notes, sharpier, more unique and floral.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 16th August 2010 at 09:50 AM.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Dior Homme Intense is borderline gourmand,
    it's very chocolaty, something the regular one
    isen't. I adore both, but like Intense the most!

It's not widely avalible in the States, though,
    so you'll have to buy it online.
    Yea, that's what I'd have to do and it seems like it'll be like 35% more duckets for the same size bucket.

In the Intense version the famous lipstick accord is not as prominent as in the EDT.
    The overall scent impression happens more in the gourmand department.
    As you assumed, longevity and sillage are beyond any doubt.

Thanks for those links my searches didn't turn up either of those two threads... the link had a link so it was really good. Unfortunately I still don't know if it'll work for me. I'm in Arizona so the temps around here stay pretty warm year round. Plus someone compared it to Gaultier2 which I don't like at all, I love amber but the amber smell in G2 is sticky smelling if that's even possible.

I don't know if I'll be able to get a sample to test it easily. Since it's hard to get to begin with. Hmmmmmmm...... I've not made any blind buys before this could be the first. I was even thinking about a blind buy on L'Instant d G as well just based on the positive feedback on this forum.

I compared it to Gaultier 2... It smelled very similar to me in first 1-2 hours when topnotes faded. Drydown is very different tho. After smelling Muglers, Rochas Men or L'Instant I dont smell any cocoa in it... Basenotes that lasts many hours are about vanilla + leather + hint of iris. Its nice, elegant, full bodied... but boring to my taste.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Unfortunately I still don't know if it'll work for me. I'm in Arizona so the temps around here stay pretty warm year round.
    Yeah, it's pretty hard to wear. It's deff. not a casual scent.
    And it is a BIG no no in hot weather
    ... hmm, maybe it's just not for you?!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    ... but boring to my taste.
    Shame on you!

Pipsta, you know the EDT, you like it, you should score it!
    As others mentioned, the EDP is quite different!
    No experiments, although the Intense is adorable!

Kids, play nice. Don't make me turn this thread around!

Yea, I can handle the supposed drawbacks to the original, I didn't really even get that lipstick/make up bag smell until I read those reviews and I still didn't get it. Probably cause I never really smelled a lipstick/make up bag before. To me it smelled slightly of leather with a touch of floral in it, presumably from the iris. Then a bit of coco and vanilla through the heart. With even more leather throughout the progression leading to a woody amber type base.

I can get a bottle of the L'Instant d G for the difference between the original and the Intense so maybe I'll just get those two, the original and the L'Instant and call it a day. I'd be going blind on the latter though.

I just like the idea of having a rarity, though. LOL

Kids, play nice. Don't make me turn this thread around!
    I'm just kidding with the shame thing, the Dreamer knows that!

I'm just kidding with the shame thing, the Dreamer knows that!
    I know, I kid as well.

I've not had a problem with supposedly 'too sweet for heat' frags so far. I just don't wear them till the sun goes down. I like the idea of more leathery smell to it with less feminine vibe. Coco/vanilla increased in the heart sounds very good, too. I just put a spritz on my wrist from my sample of the original and am sniffin away trying to get an idea of what it would be like with the differences in notes. Heh

It is not so much it's sweetness, as it is it's sillage;
    it is cloying beyond believe, even with just a single
    spray.

I own all 3, I actually think Cologne is the best of the 3, followed by the EDT. The Intense is very hard to wear, it can be a little overwhelming compared to the other two.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I sprayed it just once on my wrist when I tested it and it was far from being cloying (and it was in summer too..)... IMHO its nice office fragrance if your work require suit and tie or for evening if you are 30+.. Its less controversial than original DH but still classy, elegant and also more masculine than original.
    For casual clothes, or disco clubs etc I would wear something more funny.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Dior Homme Intense as a working scent?!
    I wouldn't dream (!) of that ... but, hey,
    to each his own, right?!

I'm a very young looking 40 something so I can pull off younger stuff as well as more mature stuff. Like I mentioned my skin swallows up scents so I can get away with a more projecting frag and not have it seem to powerful. I guess it will come down to if I want to spend the extra and also take a chance on the blind buy. I don't expect that I'd have issue with liking the frag. I love Dior Homme so I have a hard believing I wouldn't feel the same about the Intense version.

I'm not too fond of citrus openings but will wait them out if the heart is awesome. If I don't have to get the citrus I won't so maybe the 'cologne' one isn't for me as I hear it has more of that in the opening.

Do you like Macaroons? Those French confections. These days, they come in different exotic flavors. The traditional ones where done with Vanilla/chocolate/strawberry/lemon/coconut. I had Lavender and Iris Macaroons a few days ago. The Iris-flavored macaroons were divine. That's how EdP is. Sweet. Delectable. Lip-smacking.

I hope you won't get the impression that the three formulations are vastly different from each other. They are different variations on the very same theme. EdP is strong in both projection and longevity (sweeter and a tiny little bit lessened iris aura), the EdT is very very balanced. The cologne is not weak, but has a herbal/thyme whiff to it.

If you have that sort of skin, Intense is the way to go. I bought it in the Summer and, being in Winter, I can't assure you it is too overwhelming to be used in high temperatures, it is rather a Winter scent - and believe me, I am not of the ones that consider this to be a prevalent criteria when choosing which scents to wear.

EdT is more floral, Intense has more marked leather and chocolate notes. This, added to its prominent sillage and longevity (perfumes are fleeting on me), made me choose de later.

This is some good commentary on it. Much more informative than I read previously on it. Thanks a bunch. It will help in me making my decision..... BOTH! LOL...maybe not right away...

I have all three, wear all three, love all three. Le Grand Duc is to blame for this - his rave reviews got me started on DH.

Intense is one of my late-night favorites. The EdC is a good early morning scent. But I wear all, in any number of settings, including work. Just keep it toned down for the office and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Le Grand Duc is to blame for this - his rave reviews got me started on DH.

I definitely intend on getting the Intense version! It took me awhile to warm up to the original because of the iris. After a few wearings I've come to enjoy it but if the Intense version has more chocolate, consider me won over. I do love me some gourmands! Which is also why I plan on getting the Extreme version of L'instant.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I have all three, wear all three, love all three. Le Grand Duc is to blame for this - his rave reviews got me started on DH.

Intense is one of my late-night favorites. The EdC is a good early morning scent. But I wear all, in any number of settings, including work. Just keep it toned down for the office and you'll be fine.
    You had PMed me about the DH a while back and I looked in sephora for it like you mentioned there. It seems some of the outlets aren't fully stocked with all the different stuff you can find in other ones in the area and I wound up finally getting a chance to smell it in one mall and got a sample from there. It's definitely different but very smooth and enjoyable. I'll have to decide which one I want to try first.

I don't work in an office so that's not really a concern of mine. My work is outdoors, mingling in social settings and people are partying so I get to wear whatever I desire and usually it's warmly received by my clients.

Both are good but I enjoy Dior Homme Intense thee best!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

It's definitely different but very smooth and enjoyable. I'll have to decide which one I want to try first.

I get to wear whatever I desire and usually it's warmly received by my clients.
    IMO, best entry into the DH realm is the EdC version. A) seems to be kind of rare, buy it while you can, and B) it's the most well-balanced of the three. Most versatile.

And I can assure you that 1,000+ basenoters are thinking, "Wow, is his company hiring?!?"

not worth the extra buckaroos...bought it and immediately disliked it....if you like the amped up lipstick note then go for it...i ended up giving mine away to my sister in law because it just made me feel kinda like a walking makeup counter....i was moderately in like with the original because the drydown was nice, but this is too loud for me...beware, its a different frag all together in my opinion
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    I definitely intend on getting the Intense version! It took me awhile to warm up to the original because of the iris. After a few wearings I've come to enjoy it but if the Intense version has more chocolate, consider me won over. I do love me some gourmands! Which is also why I plan on getting the Extreme version of L'instant.
    Yes it does seem to have lots more chocolate, but i'd say the darker 60 percent type...it's also more leathery too.

IMO, best entry into the DH realm is the EdC version. A) seems to be kind of rare, buy it while you can, and B) it's the most well-balanced of the three. Most versatile.

And I can assure you that 1,000+ basenoters are thinking, "Wow, is his company hiring?!?"
    LOL, I get that asked of me all the time... I'm self employed so I didn't really get hired. I carved out a niche service and invested my money into it. Thousands of dollars in equipment, plus the operating expenses and rely purely on generosity of people by offering a free service. Scary but in life sometimes you need to just take a chance. Plus people only see the glamor side of it being out in a party scene but there is equal amount of time devoted to dirty work people don't see.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the Intense version, I'm still deciding but I'm leaning that way right now. I like the original but if it was a bit more masculine with choco and leather notes that sounds great. Those are my favorite parts of the original. I like the Iris in the original but I bet that's what gives it the make-up bag feel to it combined with the leather. Without it being too dominant in the Intense version it probably takes that aspect and tones it down.
    Last edited by Pipsta; 17th August 2010 at 09:10 AM.

All of the Dior Homme versions could coexist in the same wardrobe (excluding Sport, it bares almost no resemblance to the others), which is something which I must give a ton of credit to Dior for pulling off.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    not worth the extra buckaroos...bought it and immediately disliked it....if you like the amped up lipstick note then go for it...i ended up giving mine away to my sister in law because it just made me feel kinda like a walking makeup counter....i was moderately in like with the original because the drydown was nice, but this is too loud for me...beware, its a different frag all together in my opinion
    ??? The lipstick note is WAY toned down in the Intense, almost to the point of not being there.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I got the intense from the mall a few weeks ago and think it's an awesome smell. I did notice the so-called lipstick accord is also non-existent compared to the original. It does start out quite sharp but the drydown is amazing and it happens pretty quickly on my skin. I do think this scent would work better in the winter as it's sillage and lasting power are very impressive (over 10 hours on my skin)

May I also add it reminds me of a combination of Rochas Man and Lemale, does anyone agree?

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    I got the intense from the mall a few weeks ago and think it's an awesome smell. I did notice the so-called lipstick accord is also non-existent compared to the original. It does start out quite sharp but the drydown is amazing and it happens pretty quickly on my skin. I do think this scent would work better in the winter as it's sillage and lasting power are very impressive (over 10 hours on my skin)
    Two points.... what mall? Is it in the U.S.? I thought the 'Intense' wasn't available in the U.S.?

Secondly, your join date is in 1970? HAH!

La perfumie Elizabeth NJ is where I got the intense. I know I have to change that date ha!

We can change our join date? That's odd....Not as odd as having it before the internet was even invented but it is kinda funny.

I'll have to check a couple of the small non-chain perfume spots around here, they might actually carry it and I can test it before I buy. I guess if they want they could always order it from a out of country source and still sell it here.

Hi Pipsta!
    Did u actually get the Intense? What do you think?

Sur la Plage

Yes.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I wound up getting it and love it. I do think that I will probably enjoy the original more as it gets hotter outside while during the cooler months the DHI is what I reach for more often.