Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default Why the Perfume Industry Stinks

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Why the Perfume Industry Stinks

Thanks for posting this.
    Journalism smells of roses?
    I can't help thinking that this rant is similar in its redundancy and vacuous nature to the aspects of the industy she so clearly despises. Column inches to fill?
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

What?!We had no more than 10 fragrances to choose from in 1995?Could have fooled my poor dressing table at the time!Maybe she should choose subject matter with which she has a little more experience.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 16th August 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Well ,the author has a point about the hundreds of scents out there .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I can't help thinking that this rant is similar in its redundancy and vacuous nature to the aspects of the industy she so clearly despises. Column inches to fill?
    That's what I was thinking. What a silly rant. It comes off as a bit misogynistic, itself.

Eh. It feels to me like, "Oh, my God, deadline is in twenty minutes and I have no idea what to write about!"

Thanks for sharing the link!

It felt more like a random rant than a truly objective critique to a side of the industry...i can almost bet the woman based her opinions on having sampled a very few scents and on personal views about certain celebrities than on an abstract sampling and actual investigation of the compositions and notes.

This doesn't read as a very intuitive or well researched piece, I agree.

The situation is no different to numerous other industries, including, ironically, journalism. There's plenty of cheap, crappily made clothes by celeb brands or other big-box retailers. There's plenty of crappy news articles on FOX TV that have nothing to do with reality and are just fear-mongering and rewriting the same junk over and over to peddle out some headlines people might stick around to see after the commercials.

All industries I can think of have great niche offerings, writing articles about what you see at the mall is pretty stupid and boring and certainly not a representation of an entire industry.

That article is utter garbage. Having a few typical valid points (e.g. attack the fashion industry or trashy celebrities making so much money, and let's not forget rich cooperates!) is no excuse for lack of research and randomly insulting an ancient craft and hobby. Unisex fragrances unheard of in the world in 1995? oh please....

There's trash in any industry, profession or craft out there, if you're not willing to do the research, don't start attacking something people are passionate about. I'm all for criticism, but not pathetic hypocritical garbage begging to spark the same controversy over and over.

The writer is grasping at straws to give credence to her own personal rant about a subject she clearly has absolutely no knowledge of . . . it is a public display of ignorance. Sloppy journalism.

Mind you 'Womanity' is a pretty stoopid name
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 17th August 2010 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks for sharing

Though I agree with the main points of the article, I would also have a slight question directed towards the more experienced Basenoters and/or fragrance connoisseurs. While the "celeb fads" have ultimately proven harmful or at least useless to the fragrance industry in the long run, on the other hand (and I'm by far NOT enabling or somehow excusing this kind of approach) hasn't fragrance been, since time immemorial, always connected to a certain "celebrity veneer", to a certain allure of exclusiveness, luxury and notoriety while being marketed?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I stopped reading Bryony's diatribe after the first paragraph: "Do you know what I can’t stand, aside from slow people, Starbucks coffee, Hugh Grant, cereal and cats ?..."

In my experience someone who 'can't stand cats' ends up as someone I can't stand. Why waste time.

::Bronx Cheer::
    Last edited by kbe; 17th August 2010 at 03:10 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

This is social commentary/critique......no idea why she thinks the perfume industry is the responsible adult sleeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryony Gordon
    even cheaper versions of Jordan, Rachel Stevens
    mmm.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I stopped reading Bryony's diatribe after reading the first paragraph: "Do you know what I canít stand, aside from slow people, Starbucks coffee, Hugh Grant, cereal and cats ?..."

In my experience someone who 'can't stand cats' ends up as someone I can't stand. Why waste time.

I don't understand "hatred" of animals in general. But that's another conversation altogether.

... and yes, I agree that Womanity is a stoopid name (and the reason behind the name, too, but hey, it wasn't my vision. )

Blog Entries

is there any alternative lifestyles anywhere anymore i want to see alternative thing not tabloid
    no industry just bohemianism or lifestyles

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

Kbe,you're my hero.Couldn't agree more!

^ I had exactly the same reaction to the "cats" thing.
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Aside from the aversion to cats, I think it's a good article and makes a lot of valid points about the absurdities and ridiculousness of the fashion, perfume and advertising industries.

When you read a piece of journalism on something that you know about, you often realise that it is poorly-researched, ignorant, and self-righteous.

Not always though; and in case I sound bitter, I'm interested in journalism as a line of work
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London