Code of Conduct

Default Etat Libre d'Orange Fragrances OMG!

Greetings everyone! I have been sampling fragrances from the House of Etat Libre d'Orange, and they are truly ORIGINAL...HAHA! As I was sampling some of these I couldn't help but think about layering them...not all, but some seem like they were made for it. For example, the Vierges et Toreros and Secretions Magnifique, or how about Tom of Finland with Secretions Magnifique?? Have any of you tried this?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: Etat Libre d'Orange Fragrances OMG!

A truly great, modern house!
    I find the mahority of the offerings by ELd'O to be really complex/complete already and quite often redolent of leather, a tough note to layer with. Perhaps Anti-Héroes and Jasmine et Cigarette would layer well, as they are both rather simple. Something I can't imagine is wanting to add the bilge note from Secretions to anything - if you mixed it with Erolfa you would more than likely recreate the smell of a whaling ship that's been out to sea for a month. I've come around to Secretions and am considering buying a decant - the problem I still have with it is that it has such atomic longevity. BTW, my favorite from the house is Vierges et Toreros.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I find the mahority of the offerings by ELd'O to be really complex/complete already and quite often redolent of leather, a tough note to layer with. Perhaps Anti-Héroes and Jasmine et Cigarette would layer well, as they are both rather simple. Something I can't imagine is wanting to add the bilge note from Secretions to anything - if you mixed it with Erolfa you would more than likely recreate the smell of a whaling ship that's been out to sea for a month. I've come around to Secretions and am considering buying a decant - the problem I still have with it is that it has such atomic longevity. BTW, my favorite from the house is Vierges et Toreros.

What is a bilge note?
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

My favorites are Jasmin et Cigarette and Delicious Closet Queen. I have never layered them, as the fruity Closet Queen would not blend well with the hay in Jasmin.

A lot of the names are amusing, but the fragrances are made by some of the best noses in the business.
    Last edited by Primrose; 16th August 2010 at 04:43 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Greetings everyone! I have been sampling fragrances from the House of Etat Libre d'Orange, and they are truly ORIGINAL...HAHA! As I was sampling some of these I couldn't help but think about layering them...not all, but some seem like they were made for it. For example, the Vierges et Toreros and Secretions Magnifique, or how about Tom of Finland with Secretions Magnifique?? Have any of you tried this?
    I have several of their fragrances, and like them just as they are. But I persoanlly don't like to layer any fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I would not ruin Secretions Magnifique like that.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I am learning that it is disrespectful to the perfumer to layer their fragrances, isn't it? Especially the perfumers in the niche houses. It seems like many of the designer fragrances are more suited for layering. The scents have to be less complex, with fewer notes.

Does Vierges et Toreros have a gasoline note? Someting smelled like petrol to me.

The ELDOs have as far as I know them a lot of charm. I would suggest to apply Jasmine Et Cigarette an additional spray or two more to enforce the sweet of jasmine and tobacco over the ashtray. It will not smell overapplied as one has it quite often with less carefully designed fragrances.

Is it true that all ELDOs share a top that is quite round liquidized soft rich full bodied? From all my trials I never got the idea of loose synthetics. Of course one knows that the persistent note of charcoal (to me) in Eloge Du Traitre is some single chemical from the "dry woody"-shelf. But the start is ever so plush even with that Eloge Du Traitre which in the basenotes becomes nose tickling harsh. BTW, my collegues and friends like all my ELDOs. Some time back when I was a perfume ignorant I hated (nearly) people who sprayed to much. For instance at the airport "testing" in the duty free zone and stinking an international flight long. I was ever since after a fragrance that wasn't that sharp either applyed hefty or smelling the top notes. Regarding that prominent issue the ELDOs are perfect to me. Welcome to the club ;-)
    Last edited by WildThingy; 16th August 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Some of ELd’O scents just have the interesting names; some of them have the interesting smell, as well. They are trying to be original, at least, and that’s a pleasant change considering how many houses are trying to create something tragically unoriginal (we see these scents on billboards or magazines everyday). An average house creates scents which will not offend anyone (except the people with the dainty taste; but who cares about the minority?). ELd’O tries (sometimes successfully and sometimes not so successfully) to create something different and that’s an effort which deserves the praise.
    After I tried all ELd’O creations, I decided to buy six of them. My favourite is Charogne, with Vierges & Toreros as a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc
    But I persoanlly don't like to layer any fragrances.
    Same here.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    What is a bilge note?
    Sort of like garbage. But garbage at the bottom of a ship. That is wet and rotten.

A horrible smell.

I have Jasmin et Cigarette in my sample queue, just waiting to press ORDER! I haven't smelled anything made by this house, but I can already say I am sold on their sense of humor.

not to derail, but anyone have an opinion on Jasmine & Cigarette versus SL's Gris Clair (Lavender and Ash)??
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    not to derail, but anyone have an opinion on Jasmine & Cigarette versus SL's Gris Clair (Lavender and Ash)??
    Not anything like, IMO.

JEC is very sharp, the jasmine has a ringing, tinny quality to it (sort of like the jasmine note Guerlain uses in Vetiver Pour Elle and Habit Rouge Sport) and the cigarette note is very realistic of a burning cigarette. It's not smoky, per se, it rather smells like a cigarette. Hope that makes sense.

The GC is a more natural lavender note, a bit sweet and then that vapor-ish ash note combines with the floral but not sharply - it's much softer...rounded almost. When I first smelled GC I was shocked at the ash note, but after subsequent wearings it sort of fades into the background and blends so well with the overall fragrance. The same cannot be said for the ELDO scent.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Not anything like, IMO.

JEC is very sharp, the jasmine has a ringing, tinny quality to it (sort of like the jasmine note Guerlain uses in Vetiver Pour Elle and Habit Rouge Sport) and the cigarette note is very realistic of a burning cigarette. It's not smoky, per se, it rather smells like a cigarette. Hope that makes sense.

The GC is a more natural lavender note, a bit sweet and then that vapor-ish ash note combines with the floral but not sharply - it's much softer...rounded almost. When I first smelled GC I was shocked at the ash note, but after subsequent wearings it sort of fades into the background and blends so well with the overall fragrance. The same cannot be said for the ELDO scent.
    No, I won't agree. The jasmine of JEC is on the edge to sweet, but it depends on how rich the concentration of the scent is, namely how many sprays You invested. It is by far not the jasmine of a generic floral scent for women. The standard indole portion is quite subdued if not replaced by the sweetening cigarette/ash note. The idea of the fragrance is the connection/replacement, that in consequence is not rendered seamless but playful, questionable. It depends. I'm pretty well convinced that this quality is the key to the ELDO range. It brings a droll fun back to fragrance that was long buried under tremendous price tags, show off mentality, apologist attitude, and a masterpiece-worthy, yet earnest artfullness.

My favorite is Encens Et Bubblegum. I spilled a whole 2ml tester accidentially into (!) my very trousers and it was a crazy fun nonetheless. I never had a fragrance that much of (a), still bearable (b) and interesting (c).

Bilge is the smell of fish guts and salt water. The chum bucket is a good place to find the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Not anything like, IMO.

No, I won't agree. The jasmine of JEC is on the edge to sweet, but it depends on how rich the concentration of the scent is, namely how many sprays You invested. It is by far not the jasmine of a generic floral scent for women. The standard indole portion is quite subdued if not replaced by the sweetening cigarette/ash note. The idea of the fragrance is the connection/replacement, that in consequence is not rendered seamless but playful, questionable. It depends. I'm pretty well convinced that this quality is the key to the ELDO range. It brings a droll fun back to fragrance that was long buried under tremendous price tags, show off mentality, apologist attitude, and a masterpiece-worthy, yet earnest artfullness.
    Hmm, it seems to me you do agree; I don't see how anything you've said contradicts what Mike said before you (?)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Hmm, it seems to me you do agree; I don't see how anything you've said contradicts what Mike said before you (?)
    Hmm, the subtext of mikeperez23 contribution seemed to be that JEC isn't well blended. I felt it would be appropriate to emphasize that ist might be intentionally so. The expression of the scent might not be to obvious to a traditionalist. It is the edge itself as with Encens et Bubblegum. Doesn't that match the comic paradigm? Contrast, simple color fields, catchy stories?

Okay, that makes sense. I didn't take Mike's comments to imply a value judgement for/against either scent, but just to contrast their characters.

For what it's worth, I like both fragrances a great deal, but they don't seem similar to me. The jasmine makes JEC more overtly floral, whereas I think of lavender (in GC and elsewhere) as primarily aromatic/herbal. GC strikes me as "cold" out of the bottle, like lavender-scented fog. And its drydown is more resinous/incensey, whereas JEC gives me ashy/smoky tobacco.

Back on topic, my favorite ELdO scents are Fat Electrician and Tom of Finland, but I haven't tried them all. I like JEC. I want to try Encens et Bubblegum...

And for the record, I don't like layering scents. I don't even like the idea of layering except when it's integral to how a scent is designed (like the Xpec Trinity scents). To me it's like trying to get more pleasure out of your favorite CDs by playing two or more simultaneously.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

The jasmine in JeC gave me a very bad headache, so perhaps I am not the best person to describe it's 'blending'.

I love jasmine. I love the smell of cigarettes (I used to smoke years ago!). I love ELDO's art direction and aesthetic. However I found JeC a bit sharp, poking-me-the-eyes and rough. I tried sampling a tiny bit and wearing a heavier application...and still...headache! Oh well.