Code of Conduct

Thread: Lily..more Lily

Default Lily..more Lily

Which are the best perfumes with Lily , according to you ?
    ( For me , one of the best is Gold )

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Lily..more Lily

Lys Mediterranée, Un Lys, and Donna Karan Gold, in no particular order.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The discontinued AG Des Lys for me. I tried Gold at a nearby consignment store, where there are an edt and edp in the perfume section, but found it too heady for my taste.

Un Lys and the discontinued Crown Alpine Lily top my list.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

I'm a recent convert to Donna Karan Gold myself - its a very unique approach to lily, being warm and oriental rather than crisp and fresh. Its also made me more aware of the lily note in some of the other fragrances I have, so for example I noticed the lily in Idylle for the first time. However my former favorite lily fragrance is the long-discontinued Flora Danica.

I think I'm loving Lily by Dior much more than i did before, it's very uncomplicated and light. and it has lots of muguet but it never overpowers the lily...

another fantastic Lily scent is Lily Essence by O Boticario, it's much more layered and luxurious, i see a very elegant Sao Paulo woman wearing it with such harmony, that the word opulent looses it bad connotation.

Oh Un Lys and Lys Mediterranée, both have that intense heady richness of real lilies.
    DONNA

Thanks a lot for these suggestions )

Anais Anais by Cacharel is my second fave after SL Un Lys.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I love DK Gold. Compared with Lys Mediterranée, I prefer DK Gold. Lys is gorgeous, but a bit too photorealistic (or something) to be truly wearable for me. I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Annick Goutal's Grand Amour in edp, which has a pronounced lily note, for its sensual lushness. My husband bought it for me in Paris, so it also has a very sentimental place in my heart.

Sur la Plage

Comme des Garcons Series 1 Leaves: Lily
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I haven't found a good (oriental) lily fragrance yet, which may be why it's not one of my favorite notes in perfumery...plus, real oriental lilies have a salty meat note in them which is necessary to the scent, but can be sickening in large doses (I can't have stargazers in the house after a day or two as this hammy note seems to become amplified once they're cut.) I like Donna Karan's Gold, but it doesn't smell like lily to me - I get wet gardenias. And as one of my all-time favorites, thank goodness I don't get a lily note from Flora Danica - I've always loved it for its aldehydic and chypre-y rosiness.

However, I'm looking forward to Ineke's Gilded Lily - I love her other fragrances, so this lily chypre might do the trick for me.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Oh Un Lys and Lys Mediterranée, both have that intense heady richness of real lilies.
    Hear! Hear!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Comme des Garcons Series 1 Leaves: Lily
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I think I'm loving Lily by Dior much more than i did before, it's very uncomplicated and light. and it has lots of muguet but it never overpowers the lily...
    Alleluia!

Thanks for calling attention to this note which, apparently, I like more than I recognized before reading this thread.

Basenotes Institution

I tried so hard with Lys Medtiterranee - no go - it's so spicey- weird.
    Un Lys- I tried a wax sample -thanks to Boosh and I found it lovely.
    The nicest lily so far is Andy Tauer's new Carillon Pour Un Ange- so beautiful,elegant - a lovely, soaring,fresh. green muguet.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 9th August 2010 at 10:38 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    The nicest lily so far is Andy Tauer's new Carillon Pour Un Ange- so beautiful,elegant - a lovely, soaring,fresh. green muguet.
    I've been wanting to read reviews of this one, Mimi... are the jasmine, ylang-ylang and leather very prominent, though?

Basenotes Institution

30 Roses, I'll have to try it again- it 's a very very clean ,green muguet. Very fresh. No leather to speak of but I must try again to make sure.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

It sounds lovely, Mimi.

edit: I finally ordered samples of this from Luckyscent. Looking forward to trying it!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 11th August 2010 at 01:51 AM.

One my mother likes is 'Forever Lily' by Good True Beautiful. Certainly worth buying a sample at least

http://www.goodtruebeautifulinc.com/products.php

VCA Muguet Blanc - only tested it at the perfume counters. Can't wait for my decant to arrive.

can we talk water lilies?

if so, may i suggest lancôme's Ô Oui, CSP T&P, OJ's Sampaquita, Eden and eau d'Eden, water lily by ava luxe and same name by HR, cool water woman by Davidoff , fairy dust by Paris Hilton and white cherry blossom by B&BW (after the fruity sweet opening)...

then there's lily of the valley of which are tons of scents and one of my favorite notes. need a separate thread of course.

Yes, some people put muguet/lily-of-the-valley in with the "lily" category, while others categorize separately. LOTV/Muguet and Madonna lilies (or Stargazers) for example, are two very different scents to me - lily, which is slightly spicy, polleny and hugely potent; and lily-of-the-valley/muguet, which is delicate and almost green. Is "lotus" the same as "water lily" in perfumery? I remember enjoying the scent of real ones while canoeing on a lake, but I have the feeling that that scent in perfumery might make me feel a bit queasy. I'd have to try a few and see. Maybe I have tried a few I've forgotten about and that's why I think they'll make me queasy.

I believe Lotus (nelumbo lucifera) and water lily (nymphaea) are completely different water plants, and they certainly smell different.

As a gardener of fragrant plants and flowers, I can say that there is no single lily scent. The word 'lily' is attached to a vast array of flowers that are completely unrelated as are their perfumes. It would be quite interesting to learn what the modern perfume industry equates with the term.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Of the already mentioned lily scents I like CdG Leaves Series Lily, FM Lys Mediterranée and SL Un Lys (my favourite!)

Would add OJ Frangipani and L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer, Penhaligon's Lily & Spice is also nice.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    It sounds lovely, Mimi.

edit: I finally ordered samples of this from Luckyscent. Looking forward to trying it!
    Oh good for you 30 Roses !

Also, Donna Karan Gold is a very very lovely lily- as said by Makassar at the start of this thread and thanks to Kevin Guyer and Lilybelle for this suggestion before.........

Vanille Galante and Passage d'Enfer

I'm surprised there are still a few good scents that need more input like Jill Stuart's night blooming lily, crown perfumery's alpine lily, AG's Des Lys, etc

Today Ive been trying Ruth mastenbroek EDP , lovely lovely perfume with a lily note going through it

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    As a gardener of fragrant plants and flowers, I can say that there is no single lily scent. The word 'lily' is attached to a vast array of flowers that are completely unrelated as are their perfumes. It would be quite interesting to learn what the modern perfume industry equates with the term.
    I think its rare for a perfumery note to closely imitate nature. We have all agreed to a name for a particular fragrance idea, similar to the way car colors might be called "sky blue" but have little to do with the color of the sky.

I'm wearing the Lait Parfumé (body lotion) of Edouard Fléchier's Lys Mediterranee tonight and it is really good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    I think its rare for a perfumery note to closely imitate nature. We have all agreed to a name for a particular fragrance idea, similar to the way car colors might be called "sky blue" but have little to do with the color of the sky.
    That's a good thought...i have always thought something along those lines because, whenever we smell a flower, i think we don't only smell the scent of the flower, but the stems if it comes with it, the pistil the style, the receptacle, the peduncle, the environment we smell the flower in and then it becomes our own brain perceptions of what the whole "unit" of a flower is at that particular moment.

That scent -the combination of it all- becomes our memory-flower-print, more often than not, that moment is a beautiful one.

Basenotes Plus

So many good suggestions, guess I'll have to order more decants, lol. My two favorites that I've tried are Un Lys by Serge Lutens and Lily by Christian Dior.

I admire and own Gold, but in hindsight I wish I'd gotten Un Lys instead. It's far more wearable.

I own Lys Mediterranee and Gold, but I like Dior Lilly better. I went through a bottle very fast. I wished Dior re-issue it.
    Evenstar