Code of Conduct

Thread: Youthful smell

Default Youthful smell

What fragrance do you wear that have a less mature more youthful smell?

Two of my alllllll time favorite youthful frags are
    Escada Magnatism
    Trouble by Boucheron

and both have been discontinued.
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Default Re: Youthful smell

Miss Dior and Miss Dior Cherie
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Hard to say. Most mainstream fragrances seem to be marketed to much younger people. I enjoy anything sweet/fruity/gourmand even though I'm in my 50s (I also like fragrances in every other genre). I don't know what's supposed to be appropriate for my age. If it's too serious or pretentious, I don't usually like it.

Mimosa pour Moi, delicate and youthful. I love it -- but could imagine a little girl wearing it.

There have been studies where some notes have been perceived as "youthful" and even "thinning" such as grapefruit...

I believe that scents aren´t inherently youthful, but depending on what our perception of youthfulness was from our personal experiences, we can choose it to be so.

Now that general perception seems to be soft fruity scents (candied apple, pear, and such).

I'm with castorpollux, perception plays a big part in it. Some people say Mitsouko is old-ladyish, but not to my nose. Eighties perfumes are more likely to strike me as "mature" scents. YSL's Paris absolutely reminds me of maternal figures in the eighties, for instance. I mean, I love it because it's a beautiful perfume, but I can't really bring myself to wear it in pubic because it reminds me of grandmas. I feel old when I wear it. Mitsouko carries no such associations. Same with something like Youth Dew. I think Youth Dew is one of the sexiest perfumes around, but I imagine I'd feel differently if my mother had worn it back in the 50s.

One of my favourites over this past summer has been Harajuku Lovers Lil' Angel, the Sunshine Cuties edition. I think of that as a "youthful" smell, but it's probably all in the packaging. If it wasn't in a stupid doll bottle I doubt I'd think of it that way. I've also quite enjoyed Oriens by Van Cleef & Arpels. It's fruity and flirty and I've see a lot of teenage girls cooing over it in store. But there's a dirty praline under the fruitiness to roughen it up just a touch, so I don't feel too girlish when I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Hard to say. Most mainstream fragrances seem to be marketed to much younger people. I enjoy anything sweet/fruity/gourmand even though I'm in my 50s (I also like fragrances in every other genre). I don't know what's supposed to be appropriate for my age. If it's too serious or pretentious, I don't usually like it.
    I agree that most modern mainstream fragrances are directed at a younger audience and I personally do not enjoy the vast majority of them. There seems to be an unabashed up-front fruitiness with candied citrus, berries and, for me, the much-dreaded melon. I am also in my 50s and cannot wear these scents.

That being said, there is an inherent young and carefree feel to notes such as mimosa, linden, hay, and lily of the valley in addition to those sickeningly sweet fruits.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

To me a youthful scent would be for girls (any and or all of these)fruity ,delicate florals,vanilla, candy ,or baby powder scent .For boys lavender,baby powder, vanilla, soft pine,soft cedar, soft suede .This would be my recomendations for ages 3-14.

I agree. However frags like Pink Sugar would be too sweet and IMO too young for me, definetly for someone in their 20's.
    However I feel that Aromatic Elixir is much too old on me and makes me feel all of 20 years older than I am!

I also agree with the poster that said frags that came out in the 80's were very mature
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Anais-Anais Cacharel

DeepSilence

Venezia Uomo

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    ...there is an inherent young and carefree feel to notes such as mimosa, linden, hay, and lily of the valley in addition to those sickeningly sweet fruits.
    I love all those notes! And you're right, they do have a carefree feel to them -- like summer vacation, riding your bicycle down a country lane where you smell those scents, the wind in your hair, and nary a care in the world. I do rather like the sickeningly sweet scents...until I go off them; and then I swing back toward drier more "adult" fragrances. I think it must be hormonal.

Blog Entries

Chanel Cristalle eau Verte

I'm 45 and love it. It's bright and cheery which is what I associate with youth (the good kind).

Negative association with youthful scents is basically "what everyone else is wearing" which at the moment is the sent of vanilla cookies, sugar syrup or vague water-like fruity florals.
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

Quote Originally Posted by nosemolester View Post
    What fragrance do you wear that have a less mature more youthful smell?

Two of my alllllll time favorite youthful frags are
    Escada Magnatism
    Trouble by Boucheron

and both have been discontinued.
    Funny that you should consider Trouble youthful, shows how different perceptions of scents can be. To me this is a real grown-up woman fragrance, better worn for the night. I would never associate it with a young girl.

The fragrances I would consider "youthful" (though I myself never think of them in such terms) would be transparent florals and light green/citrus scents. Examples:
    L'Artisan The Pour un Ete
    Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca and Angelique Lilas
    L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons
    Davidoff Echo Woman and Cool Water Woman
    Laura Biagiotti Laura
    Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo

Or scents I would associate with young girls and therefore deem unfit for myself to wear, such as:
    Rochas Poupee
    Ed Hardy Love Kills Slowly

Also some sweet/powdery florals with a more general appeal:
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Kenzo Flower

Hmmm... I think I am getting lost in this listing, the more I think of it the more types of scents I can associate with "youthful" (but Trouble still not ;-) ).

Chanel Chance Eau Fraîche is really the only 'young' fragrance that I wear on a regular basis.

I own Pink Sugar Sensual, but feel too old to wear it ! I also have Gucci Flora and Miss Dior Chérie , but I feel like these particular perfumes are for someone much younger.

Isn't it interesting what one person considers 'young'? I wonder if I associate young with these perfumes simply because they are new...but they just seem so light and/or sweet and uncomplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Funny that you should consider Trouble youthful, shows how different perceptions of scents can be. To me this is a real grown-up woman fragrance, better worn for the night. I would never associate it with a young girl.

The fragrances I would consider "youthful" would be transparent florals and light green/citrus scents. Examples....

...some sweet/powdery florals with a more general appeal:
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Yes, perceptions can be quite different! To me, L'Instant is a luscious and voluptuous fragrance worn by mature women, young or old. I'd never associate such an opulent and heady perfume with young girls. However....I suppose if she chose it herself and wore it well then I'd be pretty impressed! Actually, categorizing or choosing fragrances based on age makes less sense to me than categorizing them by gender, but then I was wearing Halston and Pavlova when I was thirteen (like every perfumista child of the 70s-80s, I wore power-scents in middle school) and I happily wear Pink Sugar now.

Regarding particular notes, I suppose I associate the scent of cherry blossoms with little girls. But I have a bottle of Fragonard's Cerisier en Fleurs and I love wearing it - it's pretty and breezy and fun to wear. It's a perfect casual sunny-day scent. Lilac and heliotrope scents can also smell very youthful to me, but that doesn't mean that they can only be worn by children.

I love all those notes! And you're right, they do have a carefree feel to them -- like summer vacation, riding your bicycle down a country lane where you smell those scents, the wind in your hair, and nary a care in the world. I do rather like the sickeningly sweet scents...until I go off them; and then I swing back toward drier more "adult" fragrances. I think it must be hormonal.
    This is exactly how I feel about those summery notes (mimosa, linden, hay etc) and will add honeysuckle, acacia....for some reason summery scents just smell young to me Beachy skin scents also smell young to me.

I also enjoy sweeter scents like an infatuation. Love them then yuck and I am quite sure hormones make a difference. After having a hysterectomy I basically had to change my ENTIRE perfume collection :s

Blog Entries

Youthfull smell for me
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Noa? And my ''hot weather scent'' Un jardin sur le nile?
    I don't really know, it's easy to designate anything light, sweet, chocolaty vanilla-ish as girly, but I've always gone for the serious old-fashioned chypres since I was a teenager... While my sister used to go for the Opium as a teenager...

Basenotes Plus

I would go with Chance Tendre by Chanel or Miss Dior Cherie by Christian Dior.