Code of Conduct

Thread: Sweet Vetiver?

Default Sweet Vetiver?

I'm currently having a bit of a love in with Tom of Finland (the fragrance, not the person). I'm really taken with how the vetiver has been sweetened up here - previously struggled getting on with vetiver in general, found it a bit to raw and earthy for my tastes.

Are there any other sweeter vetivers out there?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Sweet Vetiver?

ELdO Fat Electrician
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sycomore by Chanel has a certain sweetness to it, softening the overall smokiness of the structure.

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Institution

Yep, Vetiver Oriental and Sycomore were the 1st to come to mind.

Yes, VO by SL is a sweet and powdery Vetiver fragrance. Sycomore is a tad sweeter than Ford's GV and Encre Noir but not really sweet.

^^ really? I find Sycomore very smoky & dry (which I LOVE and is my current favorate vetiver). But when I think 'sweet', I think Guerlain Vetiver, or Tom Ford GV...

To me Encre Noire is sweet.

I definitely agree with EldO's Fat Electrician as well as Chanel's Sycomore. Vetiver Oriental the least sweet of the three. Fat Electrician is sweet from the get-go while Sycomore doesn't sweeten up (to me) until later on in the drydown. Vetiver Oriental, to me, is a colder and more antiseptic vetiver, which isn't bad to me, I really love it, I just don't think of VO as a "sweet" vetiver. Hermessence' Vetiver Tonka is another vetiver which I absolutely adore and find incredibly sweet. Very similiar to Fat Electrician IMO.

Vetiver Tonka and Guerlain Vetiver and both rather sweet to me, but in completely different ways. I'm sure Vetiver Oriental fits your description, but I've never smelled it.

I do not find Sycomore sweet at all. Buttery-smooth, yes, but sweet, no.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
    I'm currently having a bit of a love in with Tom of Finland (the fragrance, not the person). I'm really taken with how the vetiver has been sweetened up here - previously struggled getting on with vetiver in general, found it a bit to raw and earthy for my tastes.

Weird. I get leather?????

I agree that the Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental is a delightfully powder/sweet vetiver. Guerlain Vetiver dries down with a chewy sweetness on me. Another sweet vetiver which is very inexpensive is Azzaro Vetiver if you can find it.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

You must try Fat Electrician and Grey Vetiver. I felt the same way about Vetiver being too raw and earthy and rooty for my tastes. I bought so many samples only to have to admit I did not like them. I even bought a full bottle Vetiver Extraordinaire and Encre Noir and tried to force myself to like them. To no avail. I love Grey Vetiver, Vetiver 1948, Original Vetiver and Fat Electrician.

In this proposed sweet/semi-sweet scent, do you prefer the vetiver note be of the brown/earthy variety, or of the grassy/green variety ?

@II@ What is this Fat Electrician? Never heard of it before now. Hilarious name. I'll check it out.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    @II@ What is this Fat Electrician? Never heard of it before now. Hilarious name. I'll check it out.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=47709
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Point Blank

Sycomore, Vetiver Oriental

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Try Jo Malone's Black Vetyver Cafe.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

There is a lot more going on than just Vetiver, but I think Tauer's L'Air is primarily a vetiver/amber/incense fragrance.
    Definitely a sweeter take on vetiver.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Sycomore

Vetiver Tonka does it for me.

Vetiver Tonka is the first thing that comes to mind. A less popular one could be Vetiver Ambrato by Bois 1920. It starts off a little bit dryer, but sweetens significantly as it develops. I really like both of these fragrances.

Sweet! Shall look forward to digging into all the recommendations.

Strangely enough today I sampled Eau Fraiche by Monsillage (not on BN?) Started off a sweaty herbally lemon which was ok but dried down to a lovely sweet verbena-vetiver. Very nice, good sillage too.
    Last edited by Columbo; 16th August 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    In this proposed sweet/semi-sweet scent, do you prefer the vetiver note be of the brown/earthy variety, or of the grassy/green variety ?
    I don't mind really, just something that takes the edge off and mingles with the raw vetiver. Though I think I'd probably lean towards green.

Though I think I'd probably lean towards green.
    C'mon, a green sweet vetiver? My offer would have been - besides the Fat Electrician, which is a really pleasent fragrance by all means - Piver Vetiver. Anise plus such a raw, dirty something that it doesn't even: smell. A sweatless digger drinking his pastis. A sweet take on earthy vertiver, georgeous. Perhaps You shift to patchouli, Angel the like oder Nombrile Immense of too Etat Libre D'Orange? But I would be interested if someone ever did that green sweet!

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Dullah, which sweet green vetivers are there? Of the ones I've tried, the green ones seem to be consistently fresh/soapy with no sweetness.

I see vetiver in the note pyramid for YSL L'homme.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    C'mon, a green sweet vetiver? My offer would have been - besides the Fat Electrician, which is a really pleasent fragrance by all means - Piver Vetiver. Anise plus such a raw, dirty something that it doesn't even: smell. A sweatless digger drinking his pastis. A sweet take on earthy vertiver, georgeous. Perhaps You shift to patchouli, Angel the like oder Nombrile Immense of too Etat Libre D'Orange? But I would be interested if someone ever did that green sweet!
    Haha, point taken.

Piver Vetiver sounds like great stuff.

Nombrile Immense sounds weird. Gonna have to give that a try too.

L'Occitane Vetyver, woody, spicy vetiver, sweetened with nutmeg.

Creed Original Vetiver, and + 1 on Bois 1920 vetiver Ambrato.

Vetiver Tonka is the sweetest vetiver I've found. Followed closely by Fat Electrician. In third and slightly less sweet is Givenchy Vetyver.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Another one to consider is Sel de Vetiver, a smoky vetiver made ethereal and slightly sweet by iris.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Two great sweet vetivers that I know are:

Serge Lutens Oriental Vetiver - Its name tells all.

ELDO Fat Electrician - Creamy vetiver.

I don't think Guerlain Vetiver and Givenchy Vetiver are sweet vetiver. Tom of Finland has stronger leather note than vetiver note.

There is a very nice and sensual Vetiver that is not very well Known , but quite excellent : It"s Vetiver de Carven
    They relaunched it last year in its origianl formula from 1957 , a very nice mixture of vetiver and lavender with a drop of lime in it ...
    My favourite ..less known than Guerlain but better imho