Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default New Shalimar EDP Flacon

From Escentual.com:

2010 marks the 85th year of Shalimar, the flagship scent of the prestigious Guerlain fragrance house and one of the most cherished perfumes of all time. A heady and complex blend of bergamot, jasmine, iris, Opopanax and vanilla, it is a sensual fragrance inspired by an oriental love story. To mark her birthday, the exotic and mature Shalimar is getting a contemporary makeover.

Jade Jagger, as the daughter of model Bianca and legendary rocker Mick Jagger, is the encapsulation of modern glamour. Artist, interior designer, and curator of jewellery and fashion collections, Jagger is a true renaissance woman; a multi-skilled, jet setting and exotic citizen of the world. Who better, then, to redesign another work of art: the iconic perfume bottle of Shalimar.

This new rendition pays homage to the Shalimar flacons of yore, with voluptuous curves and a base reminiscent of its first incarnation. Soft, full and extremely sensual, Jagger’s talent for dressing women inspired her in the design process, reinterpreting the original oriental inspiration for a look that is both luxurious and bohemian.

Capped with a jewel-like stopper in a gorgeous grey-blue and tied at the neck with a fine black ribbon, the legendary fragrance is made revitalised and radiant. An enduring classic and a VIP of the fragrance world, we hope Shalimar remains just as beautiful for another 85 years!

Personally I love it!
    Last edited by Candy Perfume Boy; 17th August 2010 at 10:29 AM.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Default Re: New Shalimar EDP Flacon

It looks good to me, too. It has a lot of the old style packaging (which I didn't like, I prefered the newer, butterfly-shaped flacons) but they have tweaked it enough that it looks good now.

Yes it looks lovely, but in my eyes, the original flacon was close to perfection.
    The tiny pedistal at the bottom of the new flacon looks like it can barely hold the weight of all that precious juice... it could tip at any moment!
    Interesting that Shalimar now has a leather collar too.

Thanks for that pic! I find it quite wow! The small foot enhances the majestic look of it, I think. Beautiful enough to collect. Rumour tells that the limited "Ode a la Vanille" edition will also be in this bottle. It will be an expensive autumn

Very nice!

Is this not the parfum? The title of the thread suggests its the EDP, but there is clearly no atomiser inside this bottle.

That's a very attractive bottle! It respects the classic Shalimar lines and still giving it a new sleeker twist.
    Very nice.

According to Guerlain, this bottle is only issued for the EdP. Must be splash then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Is this not the parfum? The title of the thread suggests its the EDP, but there is clearly no atomiser inside this bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Rumour tells that the limited "Ode a la Vanille" edition will also be in this bottle. It will be an expensive autumn
    I agree! My birthday is coming up and I know I'll be marching over to Guerlain to at least take a look at this beauty and give Ode de la Vanilla a sniff.
    I love the new look. Is that a smoky-colored glass?

Spray bottles are usually photoshopped; it just looks cleaner and prettier without any disturbing tubing. But yes, this could actually be a splash bottle (though I doubt it).

I think you are right tott. Spray bottles are never advertised with the tube inside.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Spray bottles are usually photoshopped; it just looks cleaner and prettier without any disturbing tubing. But yes, this could actually be a splash bottle (though I doubt it).

That bottle is better than the recent one, but it won't do a thing to forgive the obscene tweaking of the juice, sadly.

summer means fireflys

Gorgeous!

I think you are right tott. Spray bottles are never advertised with the tube inside.
    Unless it's an integral part of the design like on the Dior Homme bottle...

Guerlain did an excellent job at making the tube virtually invisible on Idylle. Let's hope it's a new trend...

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Unless it's an integral part of the design like on the Dior Homme bottle...

Guerlain did an excellent job at making the tube virtually invisible on Idylle. Let's hope it's a new trend...
    It probably is. Francis Kurkdjian's line also has these practically invisible tubes. When I first saw the bottles in person, I was surprised that they were splash bottles...

Basenotes Plus

I have noticed this on quite a few new bottles, my bottle of A Travers le Miroir has a tube that is nearly undetectable.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

That bottle is stunning. I want to cup my hands around it and hold it up to the light.
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

I love the sleek lines, very elegant.
    I do think the proportions of the vintage bottle are better. Especially the foot looks out of proportion and unstable.

Thank you for posting!

I like the modern cut on the old vintage bottles. I really despise the "bat" shape...

This is a good change, IMO.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

It's wonderful - good job Jade Jagger ! Good bye horrible old bottle ! I'm happy ! it's gorgeous !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

That's a beauty

The bottle is gorgeous, but there is no need for this:

Jade Jagger, as the daughter of model Bianca and legendary rocker Mick Jagger, is the encapsulation of modern glamour. Artist, interior designer, and curator of jewellery and fashion collections, Jagger is a true renaissance woman; a multi-skilled, jet setting and exotic citizen of the world. Who better, then, to redesign another work of art: the iconic perfume bottle of Shalimar.

Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

Basenotes Institution

I have been holding off on purchasing Shalimar EdP, so this might just push me over the edge to buy it.

Basenotes Plus

It's a beautiful bottle, does anyone know when it will be available in stores?

I want bottle more and more everytime i get into this thread!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    It's a beautiful bottle, does anyone know when it will be available in stores?
    Reports say September 2010

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Reports say September 2010
    Thanks!! I'll be watching for it!

Alas no... and that pedestal is still too teensy for my liking.

Thanks for that live report Dimi! You're right, that tube is more than visible And yes, standing like that the foot looks strangely small, as if it could easily tip...

I actually held this in my hands for the first time today and I feel a little different about it.

It was the 90ml EDP I held, and I must say that the glass balloon holding the juice feels very generous... as sestra mentioned above, it felt good to cup in my hands. The individual pieces (blue cap and leather neck tie) feel good to touch and appear to be well made. The 90ml retails for $190 AUD ($170 US), and I was told this is the only size available.
    I did take particular care to examine the pedestal, and did still feel it is a little disproportionate.
    Nevertheless, it is a part of my collection now

The newly designed Shalimar Eau de Parfum will be available September 2010 at select locations of Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Macy’s, and Bergdorf Goodman. It will also be available at Saks.com and NeimanMarcus.com $72 (30ml) $95 (50ml) and $123 (90ml).
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 20th August 2010 at 09:52 AM.

Oh, and aside from my comments in the post above, its interesting to note that the liquid is a lot more ambery than the 'batman' flacon version of Shalimar. Possibly more colorants have been added(?), as the previous bottles seemed rather pale by comparison.

Thanks for the additional photo, Sorcery of Scent. Confirms my first impression -- that disproportionately tiny foot is disturbing. (I wish they'd leave design to real designers, instead of celebrity pseudos)

On the plus side, the concept to modernize the classic instead of starting over is appreciated.

If you look at the middle section, of the lower part of the flacon, it's solid glass (thus acting as a integrated weight / stabiliser). Maybe this will prevent it from wobbling and falling over?

Basenotes Institution

I actually held this in my hands for the first time today and I feel a little different about it.

It was the 90ml EDP I held, and I must say that the glass balloon holding the juice feels very generous... as sestra mentioned above, it felt good to cup in my hands. The individual pieces (blue cap and leather neck tie) feel good to touch and appear to be well made. The 90ml retails for $190 AUD ($170 US), and I was told this is the only size available.
    I did take particular care to examine the pedestal, and did still feel it is a little disproportionate.
    Nevertheless, it is a part of my collection now

The newly designed Shalimar Eau de Parfum will be available September 2010 at select locations of Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Macy’s, and Bergdorf Goodman. It will also be available at Saks.com and NeimanMarcus.com $72 (30ml) $95 (50ml) and $123 (90ml).

You know I have been off Shalimar for a while now but oh Lordy I feel an urge and a kick coming on looking at those bottles. Dimitri - you say 90 mls EDP - that's new ! I thought Shalimar EDP was only avaialble in 75 mls - well - I like that.
    That bottle is killing me ! I so so want one. I read on Facebook that you can reserve your flacon signed by Jade Jagger at Saks .....

Re. the color- oh goody - more ambery the better !
    Re. pedestal - I guess it could be larger and so look more balanced.

Basenotes Institution

So D, I'm assuming that the juice smelled exactly the same to you, than the previous EdP?

Is it true that the 20ml extrait of this one is at 1500$ (US)?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So D, I'm assuming that the juice smelled exactly the same to you, than the previous EdP?
    Mike, Ive only sprayed from the tester in the store before making my purchase as Ive not yet opened my own bottle. From what I could deduce, there was no notable difference in formula... though I had noted that the colour of the juice does seem a little darker. I'll have to report back when Ive applied it and contrasted it with the previous edition.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Is it true that the 20ml extrait of this one is at 1500$ (US)?
    Yes indeed! There are only 182 of these editions in existence (in honour of Guerlain's 182nd birthday), and each is adorned with a sapphire pendant around the neck which has been etched with the Guerlain "G'. This can be detached and worn (if desired). Im looking forward to seeing a press photo of this one.

Bonjour!

I think the iconic Art Deco flacon that was inspired by the gardens in Lahore in modern day Pakistan is indeed a hard act to follow. However, I do like the new bottle. If anything, the mass of glass at the knees is a little too bulky. Speaking of the old flacon, i read it was inspired by the fountains, architecture and date trees in the gardens of Lahore called Shalimar Bagh. I think if you look at the pics, its not hard to see how.

There are only 182 of these editions in existence (in honour of Guerlain's 182nd birthday), and each is adorned with a sapphire pendant around the neck which has been etched with the Guerlain "G'. This can be detached and worn (if desired). Im looking forward to seeing a press photo of this one.
    I wonder what excuse they'll conjure up to celebrate Guerlain's 183rd birthday. I mean, celebrating every 5-10 years sounds reasonable but every year? Guerlain, you're not that important! That's unless Guerlain is on its last legs and is simply celebrating 'scraping through' another year...

On the contrary... I look at it as a house with sufficient resources and capital behind it, that it can afford to release a birthday edition each year. I just wish I had the resources and capital behind me, so that I could afford to buy them each year!

True but it's a company and not a living being...

True that too.

True that too.

The bottle really is lovely ..... BUT it would be even lovlier if the cap was glass as opposed to plastic which Im sure that it will be . Its only a minor detail but something that would bug me a little

Of course that would be lovely, but I have yet to see an atomizer with a glass cap! Somehow, it seems like some folks think that the Jagger bottle will replace the original extrait bottle - but it will only replace the rather bland-looking "bat-shaped" EdP atomizer - which I think cannot be denied as anything but an improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    The bottle really is lovely ..... BUT it would be even lovlier if the cap was glass as opposed to plastic which Im sure that it will be . Its only a minor detail but something that would bug me a little

I don't really like it. Looks too 'pregnant' to me.

Still feel that the 'bat' bottle looks better, but only slightly. And it does look very unstable(unless they make it with its own plinth)

Basenotes Institution

I went to the Guerlain boutique in Vegas and saw it in person . It's beautiful - so so much better looking than the old bottle. The color of the liquid seems much darker too . I nearly bought a bottle !

I don't understand why don't they bring brack the vintage bottle. It was simply the best. And it would also be a good marketing tehnique I think, cause that bottle is simply an ICON of perfumery,and it's all quality and class- if they'd stick to it, they'd sell more- At least I KNOW I'd buy them compulsively everytime I'd have a little spare money. )

This new bottle is OK, definetly an improvement -compared to the fugly bat thing, but it's not impresive. I will buy just one- only for the sake of colecting Shalimar flacons though.

That leather stuff is UGLY- why don;t they put the classy and fine fabric one? what's the purpose of making the extremely feminine Shalimar bottle look MASCULINE and modern? I don't like my shalimar to look modern, it's a VERY big minus for the image of this perfume, because it's all about nostalgia and past era charm.

Why do they screw bottles up like this on this magic perfume?... sad
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

It was in a sunday newspaper in the UK this morning. Exclusive to Harrods in the UK and yes in the photo the tube was clearly visible. The article was more about Jade Jagger and her life style.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    It was in a sunday newspaper in the UK this morning. Exclusive to Harrods in the UK and yes in the photo the tube was clearly visible. The article was more about Jade Jagger and her life style.
    So many good designers already in the UK yet they choose a whatshername celeb du jour daughter-of.
    It's very annoying to say the least.
    Everything to entice selling the fragrance i guess (so little faith in the scent!).
    I blame the suits.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    The bottle is gorgeous, but there is no need for this:

Uhm... let's see... MAYBE A REAL DESIGNER?... instead of a spoilt celebrity kid...
    This perfume has a history and a lot of meaning for many people. It's alomost offensive to let a brat do whatever she wants with the shape of the bottle.

And I DON'T WANT to associate the wonderful Shalimar with J.J. !!!

I couldn't agree more.

And I liked the original bottle better.
    This one lacks all proportions.
    And I seriously doubt JJ has actually done the real design anyway, I mean drawings, measurements, mock ups sculpted in clay and porcelain....

I know the bottle is supose to be more like "the wings of Isis" used in this very sensual dance. Makes sense, for how Shalimar is...

This comes the closest. Every detail.

A vintage Shalimar ad:

I personally think this isn't that bad, not as good as the first, but it's the best modern version... it's better than the one made by J.J. ... JJ version comes closer to a motorcycle than to Isis's wings. A flacon you could find in a black leather backpack of a girl on a motorcycle... Not in the delicate vintage velvet purse of a lady that lived in the time Shalimar was made, when women were more feminine and times were... more romantic...

The bat bottle was just... a big error.
    Last edited by w3pearl; 30th August 2010 at 11:41 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I totally understand not wanting to associate Shalimar with a celebrity kid but honestly, Jade Jagger designs wonderful jewelry pieces too and added a modern touch to a couple of british classic jewelry houses including the Crown Jewellers in London. I will have to say she has talent in designing. When she first started designing jewelry I was extremely sceptical but her pieces are good.
    I do think her interpretation of the new Shalimar flacon is lovely.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 1st September 2010 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    Uhm... let's see... MAYBE A REAL DESIGNER?... instead of a spoilt celebrity kid...
    This perfume has a history and a lot of meaning for many people. It's alomost offensive to let a brat do whatever she wants with the shape of the bottle.

And I DON'T WANT to associate the wonderful Shalimar with J.J. !!!
    My own opinion is still: UGLY UGLY bottle

Just read in my copy of Grazia UK, you can pre book your bottle of Shalimar and meet Jade at the launch in Harrods.

Sorry but I am having flashes of Ad Fab with Patty and Adina!!!!

Hi, Jade sweetie.
    So you designed the bottle then?
    Looks round bored trying to find the champagne.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I totally understand not wanting to associate Shalimar with a celebrity kid but honestly, Jade Jagger designs wonderful jewelry pieces too and added a modern touch to a couple of british classic jewelry houses including the Crown Jewellers in London. I will have to say she has talent in designing. When she first started designing jewelry I was extremely sceptical but her pieces are good.
    I do think her interpretation of the new Shalimar flacon is lovely.
    I totally agree, I saw the bottle the other day and I really like it. I almost bought it, but the only new style one they had was the tester, all the ones to buy were the old design. Glad I found that out before I bought one. Who cares if a celebrity designed the bottle, it's beautiful and I will buy one as soon as they have it.

I couldn't resist. Was at the airport today and just couldn't resist for the taxfree price and bought the 90 ml model. It is EXTREMELY beautiful, and Shalimar really deserves an atomizer beauty like this.

Basenotes Institution

Would love the 20 ml extrait with the sapphire pendant ! Oh lemming !

Also congrats Mr. G on your new Shalimar purchase. I adore the flacon