Code of Conduct

Default surprised: current Ysatis smells unchanged!

I stopped by the local Macy's to test Ysatis. This scent has fond memories for me, as my mother wore it, and I've always loved the smell.

Well, the current packaging is different: purple / eggplant rather than black, but it smells identical to what I remember! I am stunned and figured that Givenchy / LVMH would certainly have changed the formula. If they did, I certainly cannot detect it. The store did not have the parfum, but they do have the body cream, which probably contains perfume. I tested the EDT.

The SA had me try Insolence on the other wrist. It dried down nicely, but it took a good 20 minutes to do so. The Ysatis smelled much nicer with my chemistry.

Does anyone else like this? Do you find the current version acceptable / unchanged / or not to your liking?

Default Re: surprised: current Ysatis smells unchanged!

I love Ysatis. Have loved it for years. My daughter tried it and her boyfriend liked it so much on her that I bought her a bottle too. It's HIS favourite of all her perfumes. I think Ysatis is classic, clean, warm, sophisticated and sexy. It's a stunning fragrance.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 8th March 2008 at 02:51 AM.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    I stopped by the local Macy's to test Ysatis. This scent has fond memories for me, as my mother wore it, and I've always loved the smell.

Well, the current packaging is different: purple / eggplant rather than black, but it smells identical to what I remember! I am stunned and figured that Givenchy / LVMH would certainly have changed the formula. If they did, I certainly cannot detect it. The store did not have the parfum, but they do have the body cream, which probably contains perfume. I tested the EDT.

The SA had me try Insolence on the other wrist. It dried down nicely, but it took a good 20 minutes to do so. The Ysatis smelled much nicer with my chemistry.

Does anyone else like this? Do you find the current version acceptable / unchanged / or not to your liking?
    If you think it smells good then it probably does. They don't always screw them up and when they do it's not always the big deal that people go on about. It's rare, but sometimes they even smell better.

I never smelled this when it was first released but I do love the current juice.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

I liked Ysatis very much when it first came out and have tested it a few times recently (new tester bottle in my local chemists so the scent is fresh!). Must say that like it even more now, it is lush, warm and has great depth............I am talking myself into buying a bottle here!

I might go for the body cream / EDT combo, but thought I'd wait until March 22 to purchase.

Maybe it is changed and maybe to me it does smell better! Either way, original formula or changed formula, I like it quite a bit, as in, I could wear this for weeks on end.

Ysatis smells "new" again.

One more thing: the saleslady showed me how to apply. She made 3 sprays into the palm of her hand, then took the three middle fingers of the other hand, dipped them into the palm and dabbed the scent on the neck, wrists, inner elbow, and she said at home she dabs backs of knees. That was the first time I'd seen that technique and it made the scent really subtle. It might be an important thing to know when dealing with a powerhouse like Ysatis. She (SA) has been a Givenchy and Guerlain rep. for 20 years. She said that if you just spray it on your body out of the bottle, you get too much everywhere.

Thanks for the comments!

Interesting way of applying. My bottle is quite old, and doesn't have a spray top, so I just decant mine - and I confess, I'm a spray it everywhere type. Ysatis is a powerhouse, so I'm probably over-doing it. This one lasts for hours, so probably no need to apply it the way I do! :-)
    Bill Cosby

SA mentioned a strong preference for spray by Americans, versus the pour bottle by Europeans (she is European). She said the spray bottle is pushed by companies because you waste more scent and end up re-purchasing more frequently as a result. From now on, I'm going to use her dabbing from the palm application method. Somehow the subtlety and beauty of the fragrance emerged, rather than a big cloud.

I can't stand not being able to smell the fragrance myself, so I'm probably guilty of over-applying, and this is probably why I prefer sprays. Dabbers just annoy me. But this thread has reminded me that I have some new glass sample spray bottles, so I'm going to dedicate one of them to Ysatis, because I don't have a purse size bottle currently. :-)
    Bill Cosby

I used to have a bottle of Ysatis years ago and I loved it! I must try it on myself again soon and see if it is how I remember it.

I'll probably end up buying a bottle!

Easily one of the best female frags ever made -- EVER.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

tvlampboy, you may be right - one of the best. I'm thinking it might not be so bad on the guys, either.

I'd like to know, limboleo, if it does smell significantly different to you now.

You know how you get that blast of "synthetic" note right at the beginning, now, with so many of the reformulated frags (it's very apparent in the reformulated First and so many others)? It's the very initial thing you smell -an alcohol or ketone - upon spraying? Maybe that is Calone, or Citron, or whatever that note is everyone's mentioning.

Anyway, I smelled none of that with the first spray of Ysatis, purple package, when I tested. Please let me know if you do, I'm interested in your opinions.

Ysatis was the first fragrance I fell in love with. I bought a mini of it at Walmart. Of all things.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I have both vintage and modern EdT, and they are somewhat different.
    It's still clearly Ysatis, but, a very watered down version.

I have the body lotion, too. On me it smelles exactly like Fracas!

Basenotes Institution

Ysatis - used to love it and wear it ( when I was very young - late teens) before the reformulation .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.