Code of Conduct

Thread: Mature Florals

Default Mature Florals

Hi all,

I am looking for patchouli free florals. I do not want any florals that are reminiscent of young girls - nothing childish.

I want florals that - pardon me - say bitchy, perfect always put together and classy. I want something well rounded while at the same time being extremely feminine that will work for fall and winter too.

Thoughts? - How about Allure EDP? - I LOVE vanilla too!

C
    Last edited by mademoiselle-c; 27th August 2011 at 03:15 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Mature Florals

The second you said 'bitchy' one fragrance popped straight into my mind; Nº19 by Chanel. It sounds like it would be right up your street.

If you're looking for a floral with vanilla I would suggest the new Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain, strictly speaking it's an oriental but it has a very pretty, powdery iris note and lots of vanilla. It would be worth a try.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

It will be hard finding what you're looking for in the mainstream, especially in less well-stocked stores. In terms of what's available at run of the mill places, perhaps Dior Miss Dior or Chanel No. 5 might fit the bill for ''mature''.

For mature, sophisticated floral that says ''bitchy'', two Amouage fragrances rise to the top of my list: Gold, and Ubar, especially Gold, though, with its fierce civety florals.

Blog Entries

There are Joy and 1000 by Jean Patou. Or First by van Cleef & Arpels...my favorite rich bitch floral has got to be 24, Faubourg by Hermes!

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I think you should check here.

I see these type of questions there all the time. :P

for swap/sale:

I second the Amouages, Gold and Ubar. And Gold man as well, with its civet and incense.

Luca Turin claims that the relevant perfume would have been Narcisse Noir by Caron (he write something like the perfume of a woman in columnar gown and marcelled hair, who famously made life difficult for everybody around her), but that it has been ruinously reformulated ("how can you properly ruin a man's life wearing this?"). I can attest that the edt (or edp?) is a pale girly floral of no consequence, but I have not tried the parfum.

cacio

Blog Entries

Allure; always put together, classy & extremely feminine? Yes! Bitchy? l'm not so sure about that! lt does have a lovely, creamy vanilla in the drydown...

Can you be more specific about what you mean by bitchy? Do you want something sharp-edged that says "hands off!" or something more darkly seductive?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

If you love floral and vanilla notes and want something non-girly, I would suggest Guerlain's L'Instant. It's a bit boozy as well!
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Narcisse Noir extract is a grand dame and diva, the edt I found weak.

Fleurs de Rocaille (not Fleur).

Shalimar Initial though is aimed at the young market so not mature. Its light gourmand and girly.

Van Cleef First one to try.
    DONNA

Hi! I strongly suggest you to try these patchouli-free beauties : Elizabeth Arden's Red Door, L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci and Guerlain's Mitsouko!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    my favorite rich bitch floral has got to be 24, Faubourg by Hermes!
    24F is what I thought of too. Rationally strong, but not irrationally bitchy.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Allure; always put together, classy & extremely feminine? Yes! Bitchy? l'm not so sure about that! lt does have a lovely, creamy vanilla in the drydown...

Can you be more specific about what you mean by bitchy? Do you want something sharp-edged that says "hands off!" or something more darkly seductive?

Sharp edged and cold as ice. Someone you only dare to admire from afar

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    There are Joy and 1000 by Jean Patou. Or First by van Cleef & Arpels...my favorite rich bitch floral has got to be 24, Faubourg by Hermes!
    All of these!

Adding...Bulgari Jasmin Noir, and possibly Givenchy Organza.

Quote Originally Posted by mademoiselle-c View Post

I want florals that - pardon me - say bitchy, perfect always put together and classy.

C
    Une Fleur De Cassie
    Calypso
    Giorgio Beverly Hills (maybe not so classy, but definitely "bitchy")
    Carnal Flower

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mademoiselle-c View Post
    Sharp edged and cold as ice. Someone you only dare to admire from afar
    ln that case, +1 for Chanel No.19, & Cristalle as well!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Une Fleur De Cassie
    Lots of great suggestions..., but I wanted to add exactly this.

Or the Caron roses Or et Noir or N'aimez que moi.

En Avion, since Narcisse Noir is already mentioned.

Do smell Une Fleur de Cassie. I think it fits the bill as suggested above.

Carnal Flower - Frederic Malle
    Love and Tear By Kylian

So many good suggestions!

Une Fleur de Cassie is my first choice; however, not bitchy, IMO, it is mysterious.

Patou's 1000 - bitchy and everything else you've described!

Hillaire

Gosh, I apologize, but so many of those recs -- though I love them -- have a really noticeable patchouli note (to me), like 19, Ubar, First, and 1000.

When you say bitchy, I'm definitely thinking of aldehydics, though I cannot give you a long list of purely floral ones that are not patchouli-esque, which are also not 'dainty', but I have come up with a few:

Amouage Dia
    Amouage Gold
    EL White Linen
    Cartier So Pretty (really it ought to be called 'So Bitchy')
    Les Senteurs Apogee
    Last edited by Hillaire; 29th August 2011 at 05:03 AM.

Fleurs de Bulgarie and Tuberose Indiana by Creed are very good, mature and longlasting

to these great suggestions I'll throw in
    Coco Mademoiselle
    Rive Gauche
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

First
    Envy
    Enlevement au Serail
    Rive Gauche
    No. 5
    No. 19
    Joy
    Fracas
    Une Fleur de Cassie
    Calandre
    Metal (Rabanne)
    Arpege

Basenotes Plus

Plus 1
    Envy
    Cristalle

Both are-green and icy florals to my nose

adding Ivoire- although patch is listed in its basenotes
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

For me (agree with some others):

Chanel No. 5
    L'Heure Bleue
    Boucheron
    24, Faubourg
    Coco by Chanel
    Fracas
    Chanel No. 19 (green with leather)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

When i think of "mature florals" i find there's a longing for olden days, of summer flowers that are heady with a balance of dewy and hot, mostly white and yellow flowers with a woodsy base. If you're looking for non patchouli then you might want to try out the following:

Quelques Fleurs by Houbigant
    WindSong by Matchabelli
    Amour Amour by Patou
    Le De by Givenchy
    1000 Mille by Patou
    Fidji by Laroche

these i mentioned are very much only-florals, with a few other notes added to couterbalance, but flowers are the main ingredient here. none of these say flat-out bitchy though they are all classy florals, but i also think attitude comes with the wearer and not so much the scent. Of these, only Patou's 1000 and Laroche's Fidji have confirmed Patchouli as a basenote, but with the sandalwood and the civet on Patou's 1000 together they drown out the patchouli note since it's definitely not a strong presence in here. Now, on Laroche's Fidji the patchouli is more present, but i find it not very troublesome because the sandalwood is very heavy. Still it's a must try.

for a more pungent or "bitchy" as i see it- experience i would recommend:

Narcisse Noir by Caron
    Emeraude by Coty
    Habanita by Molinard
    Magie Noire by Lancôme
    Kl by Lagerfeld.

all oriental spicy scents that happen to have many flower notes as well.

Now of these, Habanita has patchouli as a basenote but believe me, it's not strong at all. the base includes also amber, leather, vetiver, cedar, sandalwood, benzoin and vanilla which all overpower the patchouli note, specially the vanilla and benzoin.

a full-on floral that also seems for a strange reason bitchy is the all too heady Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills. It must be because of its potency.

cheers and happy hunting!

P.S.: keep in mind that i am mentioning the original formulas, vintage scents.
    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 28th August 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

Profumo (Acqua di Parma)

Don't know about bitchy but there's no point even trying to argue with this one - it doesn't need you or anyone else.

+1 Une Fleur de Cassie & L'Heure Bleue (just because they are utterly unique, beautiful and only grown-ups should wear them )

Kelly Caleche (EdT) by Hermes
    Tous (EdT) by Tous