Code of Conduct

Default ... Best of By Kilian ...

I tested some By Kilian scents. And to tell the truth, I do not like this house. I don't like its package. I don't like to have to pay that much to buy a refillable bottle. Most of By Kilian scents on me are too feminin. I tested Pure Oud and Rose Oud, which are too over-priced, and quite boring. These spicy smell so sad. The only scent that I got surprised and started liking was Back to Black, even the drydown on me was a little feminin. And I'm thinking about buying Back to Black.

Do you think Back to Black is the best of By Kilian? Are there any others By Kilian scents that I should test again?
    Thanks for your comments

Sur la Plage

Default Re: ... Best of By Kilian ...

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    I tested some By Kilian scents. And to tell the truth, I do not like this house. I don't like its package. I don't like to have to pay that much to buy a refillable bottle. Most of By Kilian scents on me are too feminin. I tested Pure Oud and Rose Oud, which are too over-priced, and quite boring. These spicy smell so sad. The only scent that I got surprised and started liking was Back to Black, even the drydown on me was a little feminin. And I'm thinking about buying Back to Black.

Do you think Back to Black is the best of By Kilian? Are there any others By Kilian scents that I should test again?
    Thanks for your comments
    I really like Straight to Heaven and Back to Black. I also like to buy the 4 x .25ml refill set that retails for $70, and use my own atomizer. I think it is the best value.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...efill_Set.html
    Last edited by petruccijc; 18th August 2010 at 12:49 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Be careful not to talk yourself into liking a particular fragrance or fragrance house. I think Back to Black is a By Kilian masterpiece but I find it a little too decadent & difficult to wear. A Taste of Heaven & Straight to Heaven are far easier to wear imo. But it all boils down to personal preferences.

Love is killer. Leaves me weak in the knee. BtB is awesome.

I love a Taste of Heaven. Hands down my favorite from this house. I purchased the 4x .25ml refill set + atomozier because I didnt want to pay full price. However, I wear it more frequently then I thought I would and might have to make it a full bottle purchase soon.

Back to Black is nice. I just havent purchased it yet because I'm limiting myself on Tobacco frags.

Dependent

I was recently blessed with some Kilian samples. I would say Back To Black is my fave. Followed by Taste of Heaven and Straight to Heaven, respectively. I'll agree to the extent that they're not mind-blowing, but if you have extra to spend, they're actually pretty good!

Choco, if Pure Oud (I got a sample) interests you a little, but you're not fully satisfied, may I suggest you try Montale Original Aoud, if you haven't. They're very similar, but I find the Montale more substantial, maybe because I asked for extra perfume oil.

For me, Back to Black is the best, followed by Straight to Heaven.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I really like Straight to Heaven and Back to Black.
    Agreed. My two favorites and the ones I own.

I like several, especially A Taste, B2B, and Liaisons Dangereuses. But based on chocolateguy's impressions, I think LD would be too feminine for him.
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Taste of Heaven for me although the sweetness in this could be toned down a bit.
    Also like Pure Oud as it's not trying too hard to be a pretty, sweet, yummy concoction. I don't usually like delicious smelling scents (B2B, TV...).

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Love is killer. Leaves me weak in the knee. BtB is awesome.

Seriously? I can't think of a more feminine fragrance from that house
    My wanted thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265086 (currently in search of a bottle of Kiton Black)
    My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/270368

Prelude to Love
    It's the perfected version of Ferre's Bergamotto Marino. A modern unisex EDC-style scent I really think all the Kilian fans have overlooked. Cruel Intentions is my 2nd favorite.

Back to Black and Straight to Heaven. Own travel sizes on both. I could take or leave the rest. Both work well on my husband. I also enjoy Love and like to wear it for fun. But it is very feminine. And I would not buy a bottle of it at any size. Just using up my samples of it.

I tried the first six fragrances released by the house. Thought all of them were horrid. Didn't bother trying anything else from the line.

Basenotes Institution

I love Beyond Love,Taste of Heaven and I am looking forward to Love and Tears- the new jasmine soliflore ! " It'll all end in tears " is a phrase I use often enough...........
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'd like to try Beyond Love, but don't know of anyplace in Chicago that sells the line.

Did you try Saks, as I suggested on your Carnal Flower thread?
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Thanks everyone!
    I wish I could buy that set, petruccijc. It seems the brilliant way to enjoy By Kilian scents. But we in Vietnam have problem with shipping oversea. Everytimes I buy perfumes from London or USA, I receive nothing

Matt, I remember once you told me the similar between By Kilian Oud and Montale Original Aoud. I tried By Kilian Pure Oud. It is not a bad scent. It smells like...hm... pure oud ( of course ) with animalic note, with a little touch of rose. Strong sillage and longervity. I love Oud scents, but I don't like Pure Oud on me. Next time in Paris, I will test Montale O.A again

And you are right, PaulSC, I tried LD, and it was too feminin for me.

I love the romantique name " Love and Tears... Surrender ". But in Paris, they didn't have it when I visited Printemps. But then I read that it is one kind of jasmine scent, I gave up the plan trying Love :P

I love tobacco scents. So I think I will pick BtB as my one ( and maybe only ) By Kilian scent in my collection. And I will also test Straight to Heaven again because Diamondflame and other friends commented that it is good.

I could buy "Love and Tears" on that name alone! I have been considering checking this house out. I gotta admit, I love their packaging. Is that reason enough?

As today is payday, I think I'm gonna wander down to Aedes du Venustas after work tonight... Back to Black, huh? ...

MikeNY, since you've rated Lolita Lempicka au masculin 5 stars, you should definitely try A Taste of Heaven if you're sampling the By Killian line!
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    MikeNY, since you've rated Lolita Lempicka au masculin 5 stars, you should definitely try A Taste of Heaven if you're sampling the By Killian line!
    Thanks, Paul! Absolutely! I'll let you know!

Saks doesn't carry it in Chicago.

I like Straight to Heaven enough, but it really doesn't smell the price they're asking for it. It has that weird, scratchy and extremely dry, synthetic amber note that is featured so prominently in Dior's Ambre Nuit. I've smelled this aroma chemical a lot lately in much cheaper designer fragrances.

Well, after I had smashed my sample of A Taste of Heaven weeks ago, I had the chance to apply it properly on skin today , I think this would be my 'winner'. It's really lovely and much better and charming than Caron's Pour un Homme, but I can't see myself spending this amount of money for it. The masterpiece in Back to Black escapes me totally (after sampling it twice) - it's thin and rather generic to my nose. Straight to Heaven has, yes, a cheap and chemical smelling note in it. The Liaisons and Intentions left no impression and I always mix up what is what.

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    I made the wrong assumption, sorry for the bad advice...
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

If you find yourself in Indiana, I know Kilian Hennessy himself went to launch his line there.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    If you find yourself in Indiana, I know Kilian Hennessy himself went to launch his line there.
    When was he in Indy? Darn, I missed him.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

It must have been in 2009. I met him in the fall of 2008 at South Coast Plaza, in Orange County, CA. He mentioned that as the Kilian perfumes were being introduced at Saks in different cities, he would go to Indiana the following year. I don't know that he did for a fact, I just remember that. You may want to call the Indiannapolis Saks to make sure they carry the line.
    Evenstar

Have the six pack sample and, of these, the winner thus far is Beyond Love. Really lovely.

Blog Entries

l agree Beyond Love is really beautiful, for me it belongs in the holy trinity of tuberose scents, along with Carnal Flower & Fracas. lt's heady & long lasting with a lovely musky drydown.

Today l've sampled Love & Tears; it's a very fresh, limpid jasmine with a touch of cool gardenia, crisp rather than creamy. lt's lovely but l prefer Montale's Jasmin Full in it's interpretation of jasmine, & better sillage.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I own Back to Black and it's the best from this house
    soon I may buy Rose Oud or Pure oud and Cruel Intentions

I hate "love" way too sweet for me

For me the best ones are: Back to Black, Straight to Heaven, A Taste of Heaven and Prelude to Love. And about the price, you can always buy the refills without the original bottle. They have the travel size and now they have the 50 ml size.

My two favorites from By Killian are Straight to Heaven and Pure Oud. Neither one is an everyday wear kind of fragrance so it's hard to recomend them. But both are excellent guilty pleasure type scents - and we need these too don't we.

I am not a fan of Kilian either, back to black is but too fem, many of their scents go to the fem side of the unisex spectrum.

I was at the Saks on Michigan Avenue today (not the men's store). They have the whole by Kilian line. The SA said they only started carrying them three weeks ago.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman