Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Bond no9 neew Haarlem or Malle Musc Ravageur

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Haarlem

20 30.77%
  • Musc Ravageur

45 69.23%

Default Bond no.9 New Haarlem or Malle Musc Ravageur?

Which of these two gourmandish sweet "coocies" scents do you prefer?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Bond no.9 New Haarlem or Malle Musc Ravageur?

I like both a lot, but would pick Musc Ravageur if I had to choose one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I can't say I have experience with these 2 particular fragrances. But in General, Bond no.9 are bad and not worth the price, while I only hear good things about Malle.

Definitely MR.

This MR is very mysterious. Straight from the bottle nozzle, it's nothing much! You wonder, why the myth? Then its sillage makes you appreciate it and know why. It's just beautiful.

The results speak volumes. MR is a much higher quality fragrances, more unique too. In my top 5, if not top 3!

It's not an all-time favorite, but I always enjoy MR. Definitely a fun fragrance.

The aromachemical used to simulate coffee in fragrances, however, induces instant nausea in me, so New Haarlem and all its ilk are swan rides to upchuck island.

Love both, but MR is a top 5 for me.

Me also like M-R best. Only tried it from a sample, but a brand new bottle is on the way! What do you think of the longevity on M-R?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Me also like M-R best. Only tried it from a sample, but a brand new bottle is on the way! What do you think of the longevity on M-R?
    Outstanding on me.....12+ hours every time, but YMMV.

I wouldn't pick one over the other. I own both and you should too.

Two very different animals. I hate MR because it's just too sweet and thick for me. I love New Haarlem. It smells fantastic. Just me.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Musc Ravageur by a mile....although in fairness to New Haarlem, to me this is a little "apples to oranges". NH isn't bad by any means, but I already have (and prefer) Rochas Man, which I consider a closer comparison.

New Haarlem for me.. one of the best coffee scents around and one of the last few Maurice Roucel creations I enjoyed.

One cannot criticize New Haarlem to be designer quality when there's nothing distinctive about Ravageur itself...pleasant, but its one of the most mainstream frags in Frederic Malle's catalog and not even a top musk fragrance.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    outstanding on me.....12+ hours every time, but ymmv.
    ymmv?

Sorry, your mileage may vary.

Just posting to make sure that people know that both are authored by Maurice Roucel (and to avoid any amateur fanboyishness to tilt the results)..
    -

New Haarlem for me by FAR, MR has a gross musk smell i tried to love but ended up hating, way too overrated. NH is perfect for me.

MR by a country mile.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I wouldn't pick one over the other. I own both and you should too.
    Ditto, NOTE; There are a lot of Bond haters on this board , so you may not get the answer you need . They both are nice so pick the one that you like.

MR is the clear winner. Only sampled it once, but I found it rich and expressive. Clearly a high-quality construction.

New Haarlem - all indicators suggest I should like it, but it's not really for me. Just can't get over the "Starbucks Mocha" effect.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    Ditto, NOTE; There are a lot of Bond haters on this board , so you may not get the answer you need . They both are nice so pick the one that you like.
    Well, i have tested both, and made up my mind.. Musc Ravageur will soon arrive! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Well, i have tested both, and made up my mind.. Musc Ravageur will soon arrive! ;-)
    Me too, can't wait for winter to arrive.

I really love my sample of New Haarlem, but MR sounds really nice too. What type of musk is it in MR? Is it very animalistic? I really love clean musks like in Gendarme 20 and Nasomatto Silver Musk, but I also like spicy gourmands with vanilla (Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille and Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille) and cinnamon. Based on this do you think I'd like MR? Is MR "stuffy" or smells like an old man in any way? In which category would you primilary place MR? Is it spicy in the same way Creed Bois du Portual is spicy (I like BdP, but don't love it and don't want to smell like that)?

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    New Haarlem for me by FAR, MR has a gross musk smell i tried to love but ended up hating, way too overrated. NH is perfect for me.
    You know what, somehow i've completely flip flopped positions on this, i sprayed MR on my skin from one of my samples and now i LOVE it!, in fact, im selling my New Haarlem to afford a bottle, im scared of what my erratic mind will do next!!

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    You know what, somehow i've completely flip flopped positions on this, i sprayed MR on my skin from one of my samples and now i LOVE it!, in fact, im selling my New Haarlem to afford a bottle, im scared of what my erratic mind will do next!!
    It's always good to come round

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    I really love my sample of New Haarlem, but MR sounds really nice too. What type of musk is it in MR? Is it very animalistic? I really love clean musks like in Gendarme 20 and Nasomatto Silver Musk, but I also like spicy gourmands with vanilla (Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille and Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille) and cinnamon. Based on this do you think I'd like MR? Is MR "stuffy" or smells like an old man in any way? In which category would you primilary place MR? Is it spicy in the same way Creed Bois du Portual is spicy (I like BdP, but don't love it and don't want to smell like that)?
    It`s not "old man" smell like BDP at all. To me, MR smells like a luxurious classical gentlemans cologne mixed with the most soft and beautiful milk-chocolate you can imagine.. It`s yummy!

I go against the grain and pick New Haarlem. I prefer the roasted coffee with vanilla in New Haarlem. While i like Musc Ravageur, i find it hard to wear sometimse, since the musk on this one on me goes stinky somedays instead of creamy and sweet.

I never got the appeal of MR. NH, on the other hand, is the absolute best gourmand I've ever tried!
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumire Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Sorry to go a bit off topic but since this thread compares MR and NH, is there another fragrance close to MR (that I might have smelled) beside NH? I'm really interested in MR and probably going to get a sample soon. How does MR compare to other gourmands like Tobacco Vanille, Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille and even Michael for Men? I read someone thinks it reminds of Angel for Men after the topnotes are gone, minus the patchouli. I really can't stand Angel for Men, too much of everything. However I love Tobacco Vanille and Spiritueuse Double Vanille. Which of the above fragrances (NH inclusive) would you say is closest to MR, maybe not note-wise but "in spirit"?

Musc Ravageur.....while I think it IS a tad overrated by some on here, I think New Haarlem, like most Bonds are TOTALLY overrated and way too expensive (not that MR is cheap either). To be honest I think it's an "apples to oranges" comparison. I find A-Men and Rochas Man similar to NH, and I find them both superior. Just my two cents.....

Only Musc Ravaguer.

Musc Ravaguer.

Musc Ravageur, is more versatile.. awesome smell.
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

only tried nh so far, i like it but will not buy it. personal reasons.