Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Jubilation XXV vs. Jo Malone Pomegranate

I think they smell very very similar! Pomegranate's considerably less expensive though. It's a wonder that Pomegranate is barely discussed around these parts, yet Jubilation is. They smell very similar. The second I put Jubilation on my skin, I was reminded of Pomegranate. Same thing with Lanvin Arpege PH and Chergui.

Why are these smell-a-likes getting no love?

But I digress...Jubilation...Pomegranate...share your thoughts...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Amouage Jubilation XXV vs. Jo Malone Pomegranate

I think people are thrown by the Pomegranate Noir name and expect something primarily fruity as opposed to a smoky frankincense/cedar scent with red berries and clove.

I enjoy PN and have a small bottle, but I have to admit that I find it a little amateurish in that it's startlingly linear and a bit too loud for its own good. While Jubilation has good progression and changes over time like a top-notch perfume.

That being said, every time someone starts a Jubilation XXV thread, I always have to recommend the L'Artisan Parfumeur Aedes de Venustas exclusive perfume, which is like Jubilation but with the addition of immortelle, which gives it just a hint of boozy gourmand notes.

As a cheaper alternative to Jubilation, if you can live without the fruit notes, your best bet would probably be Avignon.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    ...I always have to recommend the L'Artisan Parfumeur Aedes de Venustas exclusive perfume, which is like Jubilation but with the addition of immortelle, which gives it just a hint of boozy gourmand notes.
    I'm going to have to check this one out, sounds really good!

Jubilation is a masterpiece, I'm not sure any similar fragrances could compete!

Rogalal, I too agree that Pomegranate is quite linear. But to be honest-I don't know that Jubilation is much less linear. It is a bit less sharp though. A bit more floral. I still feel that they are quite similar.

To Boosh: have you tried Pmegranate?

Random observation: My girlfriend used the Euphoria for Women shower gel the other day, and afterwards I thought I kept smelling Jubilation XXV in the air. There are definitely similar fruity notes at work in the two scents.

I absolutely love XXV, except I find the woods to get a bit too harsh late in the drydown. That and they last forever - I could do with less than 20 hours of longevity! I don't know why I haven't sampled the AdV scent yet - it sounds fantastic. I'm just hoping it's a bit less lush than XXV.

Another scent I really enjoy is the women's Jubilation 25. It conjures a scene in my mind: a temple, somewhere in the east, at sunset. One of those magnificent sunsets where there is just enough dirt and cloud cover in the sky that a golden aura envelops all that you see. At the entrance of the temple are flower petals strewn about, ylang ylang and rose, creating a delicate floral scent, almost more a suggestion than impression. Tendrils of smoke waft out the entryway, carrying the aroma of lemony frankincense and hints of myrrh, while the air itself is filled with the scent of sun scorched earth and dry plants (the fairly prominent tarragon note.)

Everytime I wear it, I think this scent could just as well have been named "Aegis" or The Golden Fleece. It smells like a second, golden, skin.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    To Boosh: have you tried Pmegranate?
    I haven't. But it is now on my to try list!

Sculpture, Jubilation is nice, but it isn't AWESOME to me. I would wear it if given to me, but I wouldn't pay more than say $40 for it. Reflection on the hand...I'd dig deep in my wallet for that stuff! Btw-thanx for the Perfume raffy suggestion! I recieved my 5 2ml samples of Reflection on Monday. Given that I have about 26 more fragrances, I think 10 mls will last quite some time. I'm actually starting to consider decants more. They seem to make more sense than buying entire bottles if you already have a sizable collection, depending on the cost of an actual bottle. I took the vials out of the little paper packaging they come in and housed them in one of those gold boxes that the perfumedcourt puts thier samples in. Then I cut the back part off one of the Amouage packaging and taped the front part onto the box as the cover. lol. So it's like I have an official Amouage Reflection mini vial box. lol Works for me!

Basenotes Institution

The Jo Malone incorporates a very hissy, medicinal note (sort of like menthol) that IMO disrupts the overall progression of the fragrance and made it unwearable to me. I don't get this note at all, in the Amouage.

IMO Sequoia (Series 2: Red) by Comme des Garcons is more similar to the PN, than Jubilation XXV.

Glad that worked for you Larz. I wasn't sure if Parfums Raffy would sell so many of the samples at once (for instance, I know Luckyscent limits it to 2 of the same fragrance at the same time, I think). Sounds like a nice arrangement. And yeah, decants (or, official samples ) make a lot more sense most of the time. For me, I just really really wanted the Reflection bottle as I think it is absolutely gorgeous; well, that and I also wear it enough that I'll actually use a whole bottle (I've used 25ml in a year, and that's with only 1 or 2 sprays per wearing!) For the other Amouage scents that I like but don't wear that often I'm going to go the official sample route. It's a great way to have access to all Amouage has to offer without having access to an Omani royal's bank account!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Well I could see myself using a whole bottle of Reflection, but it would take atleast 2 years. So why stock up when I can kinda pay as I go, ya know? For me, it's more economical to by 10 mls at $30 + shipping and be good for atleast...say, 6 months, and then re-up when I need more. It's just a cashflow issue for me. I don't have the luxury of being able to drop $250+ on a fragrance, especially if it's so sacred to me that i don't wanna wear it every day, because it's too sophisticated for my casual work wear, ya know? Take Ambre Narguile for example...I have the travel set, and I don't wear it very often at all. But imagine...I spent $145 on the stuff and barely even wear it. Same goes for my Straight to Heaven travel set. I barely wear that because it's hard to match an occassion with that fragrancem, or atleast in the summer. So it's just sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    That being said, every time someone starts a Jubilation XXV thread, I always have to recommend the L'Artisan Parfumeur Aedes de Venustas exclusive perfume, which is like Jubilation but with the addition of immortelle, which gives it just a hint of boozy gourmand notes.
    Wow, and I thought Jubilation XXV already had a little too much immortelle. It's fairly prominent, and it's real immortelle absolute.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Wow, and I thought Jubilation XXV already had a little too much immortelle. It's fairly prominent, and it's real immortelle absolute.
    Hmm. I didn't know that. I should really give XXV another wearing. The imortelle in ADV is more gourmand. It combines with the dried fruits and the creaminess of the frankincense, as well as some rum, to smell almost like a British Christmas pudding. But still surrounded by the smoky woods and incense. It's quite clever the way it uses a bunch of non-gourmand notes to create something that smells edible.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Jubilation xxv is very good indeed. I used to love it, but there is something in Jubilation xxv that imidiately gives me a headache. :-( -So unfortunately I can`t use it often.

XXV feels very opulent for me. It's a great fragrance no doubt. I had the misfortune of applying XXV on my neck once, and I felt harassed by it for 8+ hours. Like Oslo-Fjord, I got a headache after awhile. Its like listening to the climax of an orchestral piece that never seems to end. The trick I've learnt was to apply it behind my ears where its not going to rise directly into my nose. Made it sooooo much more bearable to wear