Code of Conduct

Default Calling all BNers...Looking for a Dirty...

Greetings all!

I have a mission! I need to find an inexpensive, dirty vanilla (not sweet) fragrance, that smells good and that you would wear. Lead the way, and please tell me what the fragrance is...
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: Calling all BNers...Looking for a Dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    vanilla (not sweet)
    IMO, this is borderline impossible. Vanilla is just a sweet note, period. To me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    IMO, this is borderline impossible. Vanilla is just a sweet note, period. To me.
    That'a why I'm asking all BNers for help. The vanilla can be mixed with something dirty to make the fragrance less sweet. Does that help?
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Caron - Pour un homme (not especially "dirty" to my nose)
    Guerlain - Jicky (dirtier, but less wearable for me personally)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Not dirty, but a good vanilla (and inexpensive too) - Lomani Ignition.

I wouldn't say non sweet, but this is much less sweet and somewhat dirty. From the Hermessence line Vanille Galante, but I would not buy this one blind, especially at the prices they charge. I do agree with LiveJazz though, vanilla even right out of the vanilla pods on the plant smell sweet. Perhaps you should consider a note that is like vanilla that isn't sweet such as tonka beans or maybe even bamboo. They both have that vanilla feeling to them, and both have that distinctive smell, but without all the sweetness. Though I'm smelling my decant of Vanille Galante now and I think it's right up your ally. Wow it smells so good in the bottle, but once it hits my skin, it's all downhill from there.

Basenotes Institution

PaulSC got it: Pour Un Homme by Caron seems like it meets your description.

Just remember, what you consider 'sweet' might not be what I consider 'sweet'.

Yeah, I agree that most vanilla frags I own are sweet, even when mixed with "dirty" notes. Bulgari Black smells a bit dirty, but still quite sweet. YSL L'homme is sweet as well, but not overly sweet IMO. I think that's why it is a good signature frag for a lot of people.

Ungaro II. There's a lot more than just vanilla, but it ends on a great vanilla/sandalwood/civet/jasmine combo (actually, the civet is most prominent in the opening). It is sweet but not straight up vanilla sweet. It's rather aristocratic in its vibe though, so if you are looking for a more plebeian, in-between-the-sheets dirty, it may not satisfy.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Thanks for your suggestions so far. I see this is a tough one.

Minotaure might also fit the bill. It's an orange/leather/vanilla, but has an interesting barnyard element. I don't think this is dirty in the sense you are looking for, but it is one of the more odd vanilla fragrances that has a dirty element to it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur

Blog Entries

Shalimar is dirty vanilla if civet works for you as dirt. But its probably still sweet to many folks.

Neil Morris Vanille Rose is a very musty vanilla - smells like vanilla and roses in an old library. Not sweet in my estimation. I like it!

I have to also go with Caron Pour Un Homme.....Bvlgari Black also.....Gary

Vaniteck by molinard. (vanilla, sandalwood, and vetiver). This is the only "dirty" vanilla I have ever smelled!

This is one of those times when it's best to layer fragrances.

I'd suggest layering G.'s Shalimar Light with Dana's Tabu and then your choice of vetiver.

Musc Ravageur! A vanilla cookie on a naked body.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gary z View Post
    Vaniteck by molinard. (vanilla, sandalwood, and vetiver). This is the only "dirty" vanilla I have ever smelled!
    Interesting!

Take the simple route - Kiehl's. Not particularly dirty but not sweet AT ALL
    Layer it with something else to skank it up if that's what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Yes! Mouchoir de Monsieur is a very nice, but quite dirty vanilla. I guess Spiriteuse Double Vanille could also be in the dirty category with the tobacco note along with vanilla.

Have you tried Fleur du Male? The white flowers in it really help 'dirty' up the vanilla / powder in its base, it almost smells like 'sex' if that makes any sense... This note is even more amped up in the la Cologne version.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I'll second three of the following recommendations, but they are all close-but-no-cigar in my opinion, so it's worth sampling first.

Guerlain Jicky in parfum extrait - very dirty, not sweet, but only a little vanilla.

Caron Pour Un Homme - lightly dirty, not too sweet, but more lavender-tonka than vanilla to my nose.

Guerlain Shalimar in parfum extrait - very dirty, vanilla-prominent, but still moderately sweet.

I think your best bet is Shalimar in parfum ( note - not the EdP or EdT, which smell rather different ).

dirty is a tough one if it has to be cheap.

All the dirty vanilla fragrances that come to mind are the niche ones

Dzing L'Artisan (leather, vanilla-popcorn, sawdust, manure as it is supposed to evoke a circus)

Urban Musk by Tom Ford (although a white musk fragrance there is a load of vanilla and the animalic smell (horses maybe)

Vanilla Habana By L'Artisan smells of raw vanilla, tobacco, bourbon, mulch and dry leaves evoking a vanilla forest

Note: I would not categorize Vanille Galante from the Hermessence line as dirty at all, it is transparent, clean, fresh green, true to nature vanilla pod with a hint of fresh lilly.

another thing which comes to mind, and it may be a cheaper alternative, are AMBER based fragrances.

for example

Yves Rocher have a fragrance called

Voile dŽAmbre, it is not very expensive.

Generally, amber to me smells like dirty vanilla

but again, tastes and perceptions of a certain smell are individual thing

hope this helps!
    Last edited by perfectscent; 19th August 2010 at 01:21 PM.

Some of the Etat range perhaps?

I'll second the Minotaure recommendation. Its the leather and aldehydes that dirty up the freshness of the oranges and the sweetness of the vanilla. Its the only way I can imagine dirty vanilla...

Blog Entries

To me, asking for a "non-sweet" vanilla is like asking for sugar to taste bitter. In my experience vanilla is one of the sweetest notes around. My only recommendation is Diesel Zero Plus Masculine. It doesn't have a straight up vanilla note, but it's more a combination of semi-sweet notes that create a strange vanilla-like vibe

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

If you don not mind a mild tobacco note added to an earthy non-sweet vanilla (pod) then Jil Sander Man Absolute could be worth a sniff. A much less sweet, less pungent tobacco alternative to Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Hey, just saw about this one: Diptyque Eau Duelleon a Luckyscents e-mail....from the description, it might be worth a look for you.