Code of Conduct

Default Imaginary Authors quick impressions

So I recently received samples of 10 Imaginary Authors scents. They are all interesting, but none are "for me". Here are some quick first impressions. If you want something a little different, definitely give these a shot.

Violet Disguise: Heavy plum opening that subsides, but lingers with violet in the background. It’s quite sweet at first, too much so for my taste. Plum and violet lover? Check it out.
    Notes: Plum, Violet, Dried Fruits, Balsam, Amber, “Evening Air & The Month of May”

Bull’s Blood: Nice rose in the opening, but it ultimately becomes a patchouli bomb. If you like patchouli and tobacco with some rose, definitely check this one out.
    Notes: Patchouli, Rose, Costus Root, Tobacco, “Black Musk & Bull’s Blood”

L’Orchidée Terrible: The orchid is quite nice. The white musk in the base is soft and pleasant. There’s some honey in there for sweetness. If you like honey and orchid, give this one a shot.
    Notes: Orchid, Honey, Muguet, Aldehydes, White Musk & Satin

Falling into the Sea: Nice, bright, sweet lemon opening. The lemon gives way to grapefruit and florals in the background.
    Notes: Lemon, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lychee, Tropical Flowers & “Warm Sand”

The Cobra and the Canary: tobacco flowers, hay, leather. You get the point. The leather is quite nice actually. Overall this a pretty dry scent. So if you’re looking for a dry, tobacco leather, check this one out.
    Notes: Lemon, Orris, Tobacco Flowers, Leather, Hay Fields & Asphalt

The Soft Lawn: The name is a great description of what this smells like. This is a nice, light green scent. Very soft. Smells sweeter on paper than on the skin. This is probably my favorite.
    Notes: Linden blossom, laurel and ivy leaves, vetiver, oakmoss

Cape Heartache: Super sweet strawberry opening that lingers throughout. The pine and fir are the nice parts of this and actually work well as a counterpart to the strawberry. This one is too sweet for me, but it is interesting if nothing else! Want a strawberry scent? This is one to try.
    Notes: Douglas fir, pine resin, Western hemlock, vanilla leaf, strawberry

Memoirs of a Trespasser: Vanilla bomb opening, myrrh as a support. Want a vanilla incense? Try this.
    Notes: Madagascar vanilla, guaiacwood, myrrh, benzoin resin, ambrette seeds, oak barrels

Yesterday Haze: Fig, with something resinous. Not sure what to think about this one. It’s not for me, though.
    Notes Fig, Iris, Cream Tonka, Tree Bark, Walnut Bitters & Orchard Dust

Mosaic: Bergamot opening, and well I’m not really sure what to say about the rest! Kinda strange. There’s some cedarwood in there.. The drydown is actually quite nice, with the cedarwood taking center stage.
    Notes: Petitgrain, Bergamot, Oakmoss, Cedarwood, “Limestone”, “Artesian Well”
    Last edited by tensor9; 7th September 2014 at 09:20 PM.

Default Re: Imaginary Authors quick impressions

I have tried a few of these having received free samples with other purchases made. Personally wasn't impressed with any I tried.
    Last edited by hednic; 8th September 2014 at 12:06 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Nice to hear your impressions

I don't love anything from this line but I don't hate any either, except for Bull's Blood. My favorite is probably The Cobra...or Trespasser. But I have to say, I like their approach. They try different stuff and aren't afraid to be different, and they've already established a distinctive house quality that runs through their fragrances.

Have a few samples. Own and love Memoirs of a Trespasser. One of the best vanillas out there.

I bought samples of all of them and, like any house, there are some I like and some I dislike. My favs are Falling into the Sea and Yesterday Haze followed by Memoirs, Soft Lawn and Mosaic. I'll pass o the rest.

Thanks for the info and your impressions!
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://http://www.basenotes.net/thre...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Own em all - love some, am cooler on others, but they're all interesting.

Falling into the Sea stands above the vast majority of fragrances I've smelled. Ever.
    Easily top 10, probably top 5.

Mosaic is another absolutely stellar fragrance, and has replaced Mugler Cologne as the quintessential "inoffensive yet not boring" fragrance, for mine. It really is quite intriguing.

I think Cape Heartache, for all the hype it received last year, is another big winner from the house. I like that the sweetness in the opening gives way to the woody base.

I'm keen to try the recent reformulation of L'Orchidee Terrible. A few months ago Josh Meyer (the perfumer) softened the opening on this one, which is fairly screeching in the bottle I've got.

Dependent

Great info guys, thx for sharing. OP especially appreciate the comprehensive re-cap.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    So I recently received samples of 10 Imaginary Authors scents. They are all interesting, but none are "for me". Here are some quick first impressions. If you want something a little different, definitely give these a shot.

Violet Disguise: Heavy plum opening that subsides, but lingers with violet in the background. It’s quite sweet at first, too much so for my taste. Plum and violet lover? Check it out.
    Notes: Plum, Violet, Dried Fruits, Balsam, Amber, “Evening Air & The Month of May”
    Yes. I plan to order a sample. Just got my Cape Heartache sample, and was so disappointed: I can't get past that green, tree-shaped paper air freshener-for-a-car vibe. But Violet Disguise sounds promising, hopefully.
    Just because a fragrance is expensive, doesn’t necessarily make it smell better than a cheaper one.

Current favorites:

• Spicebomb

• Sienne L'Hiver

Didn't like anything from this line. They all had this strange note in the body of the scent that really turned me off especially when I smelled Bulls Blood. First and last time I ever threw fragrances away even though they were just samples.