Code of Conduct

Question Question on Waist Size

Hello Basenoters,

I'm a fairly lean guy, but I do have some trouble maintaining a consistent weight. This makes buying new pants a bit of a hassle because I dont know if I should go a little more generous in the waist or not.

I'm normally a 32 waist, but I go through phases where that size is a little too tight. I have some 33s to deal with this but they are a touch to baggy.

Is it better for my pants to be a smidge too tight or slightly looser than desired.

Thanks for your opinions. I need new jeans and a couple of dress pants so I'm wondering what I should go with.

Hillaire

Default Re: Question on Waist Size

Looser

slightly looser is better i think.

Looser is always better than something pressing in on your stomache, especially when sitting down for a long period of time. You can always add a belt to tighten trousers up to how you want, but if they are too tight to start off with, they're no good.

Thanks for your help. How loose is too loose?

Hillaire

Not so loose that the bits between your belt loops are falling down under your belt, or making 'pockets'.

A bit looser looks good. Dress pants are supposed to drape a certain way and if they're too tight, they look odd. Jeans unless you wear the baggy pants around your backside look are meant to be comfortable... as Hillaire said not so loose that the waist bunches up when you wear a belt, but also not skin-tight. But that's my opinion, for what that's worth!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

I buy everything so it's snug. It's motivation not to gain weight, plus generally looks slimmer unless you're just bursting out of them.

Jeans should always be a little snug, they stretch a lot, and after a hot soak they always shrink back anyway.

If my pants feel a little snug I just leave the top button open and cover it with my belt which I leave on a comfortable notch
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads