Code of Conduct

Default Hello, New Guy Here

Hello everyone!
    Just introducing myself to this wonderful community. I've been lurking here the past week reading tons of the great info you all have provided.

I have never really wore cologne much in my life. When I was in 8th grade my brother got some Preferred Stock as a gift and he didn't use it, so I claimed it. In high school I bought an Anchor Blue cologne called Ink that I liked. I've grown up a bit and I decided to start dressing better, no more graphic t-shirts and cargo shorts. Naturally this lead me to colognes and to basenotes.

I've made some rookie mistakes already, but I blame that on catching the bug real bad. I went to TJ Maxx and I was looking at thier selection, I was able to smell Zirh Ikon and I tried it and shopped around and liked it. I decided to buy it, it was only 6 bucks. score! Well I come home and I find out I bought the shower gel! lol oops

Just wanted to say thanks for having me.
    -gonz

Default Re: Hello, New Guy Here

Welcome to the forum!
    I hope you'll enjoy here on this forum and also get great info.

Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    Hello everyone!
    Just introducing myself to this wonderful community. I've been lurking here the past week reading tons of the great info you all have provided.

I have never really wore cologne much in my life. When I was in 8th grade my brother got some Preferred Stock as a gift and he didn't use it, so I claimed it. In high school I bought an Anchor Blue cologne called Ink that I liked. I've grown up a bit and I decided to start dressing better, no more graphic t-shirts and cargo shorts. Naturally this lead me to colognes and to basenotes.

I've made some rookie mistakes already, but I blame that on catching the bug real bad. I went to TJ Maxx and I was looking at thier selection, I was able to smell Zirh Ikon and I tried it and shopped around and liked it. I decided to buy it, it was only 6 bucks. score! Well I come home and I find out I bought the shower gel! lol oops

-gonz
    Hey Gonzo! Same boat I'm just getting into the whole Fragrance hobby.

If your like me and starting to dress more professional and want to start building up a stock of fragrances. Check out Azzaro PH. I got mine at Tj max for 10 bucks. It's very masculine refreshing in my view.

Good luck with your new hobby!

Thanks! I will look for Azzaro PH next time im at the Maxx, sounds like a great deal! Is Azzaro an everyday scent? or is it seasonal?

I was at marshalls and I had to buy something because I was going crazy reading about all these great frags and not having one. I ended up buying IZOD. I like this one as does my gf, but longevity on my skin isn't that great. I'm looking to find a good everyday scent for warm and dry weather. (Something inexpensive preferably =P)

Some of the frags I'm interested in are tough to sample and buying samples online seems to account for half of a bottle (in my price range anyway) I guess what I'm saying is that I'm very tempted to just blind buy some frags and hope for the best. Looking at Live Jazz and B*Men at the moment. Thoughts?

Thanks again.

Personally for me, I think Azzaro PH is a all season scent, since I use this for work all the time.

Do you have a preference for woody,flowery, or spicey scent?

I have A*Men, I am not fond of the top notes but really enjoy the Tonka beans,vanilla, and Chocolate scent. Which is why I recently purchased Pure Malt since I heard the top notes are not as harsh as A*Men. But I've heard good things with B*Men.

YSL in my view has some very good fragrances so you can't go wrong with Jazz. I own M7 and La Nuit De L'Homme. Both great fragrances in my view. Kouros maybe my next buy.

Personally I enjoy all fragrances. So I buy different fragrances depending on season/occasion/mood. You can blind buy but make sure you know what you like before hand.

Currently I'm wearing Armani Attitude (another work cologne) , very masculine smokey smell and it was a blind buy.

Wow Great info JMUHOBO.

I think I'm more into woody and spicy scents. The scents I've preferred so far seem to be fall/winter scents. Such as John Varvatos orginal and Vintage. This lead me to trying on Zirh Corduroy, which to my newbie nose is real similar to JV Vintage.

Should I bother with the cheapies like Zirh?

I won't go and say don't buy cheapies since cheapies can be real good (aka my 10 azzaro PH buy), but if you have something that smells very similar to another one of your fragrances then it might be a better idea to expand your collection. Besides two very similar fragrances might have different dry downs.

If you like spicy woody fragrances. Def give M7 and Jungle by Kenzo a try. They smell very similar but the dry down are very different. M7 has a herbal spicy woody smell in the end while Jungle has a Sweet Woody fragrance. They are def. strong and I wear them when it's cooler.

Also there is a Woody fragrances from Kenzo that just came out. Kenzo Homme Woody. I'm a big fan of kenzo fragrances since there not overbearing fragrances and quite affordable.

I'm new to BN, too. But i have this suggestion. If you want quality frags at a reasonable price, try Parfums de Nicolai.. New York and Patchouli pour Homme are wonderful. I don't think you'll find better quality for the price, unless you score at Marshalls!

Welcome. Take a look at the "Self-Education" pinned thread. Hope that helps.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Welcome!

Hey gonz! Happy sniffing! Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by JMUHOBO View Post
    I won't go and say don't buy cheapies since cheapies can be real good (aka my 10 azzaro PH buy), but if you have something that smells very similar to another one of your fragrances then it might be a better idea to expand your collection. Besides two very similar fragrances might have different dry downs.

If you like spicy woody fragrances. Def give M7 and Jungle by Kenzo a try. They smell very similar but the dry down are very different. M7 has a herbal spicy woody smell in the end while Jungle has a Sweet Woody fragrance. They are def. strong and I wear them when it's cooler.

Also there is a Woody fragrances from Kenzo that just came out. Kenzo Homme Woody. I'm a big fan of kenzo fragrances since there not overbearing fragrances and quite affordable.
    Wow Thanks for the great info!

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain View Post
    I'm new to BN, too. But i have this suggestion. If you want quality frags at a reasonable price, try Parfums de Nicolai.. New York and Patchouli pour Homme are wonderful. I don't think you'll find better quality for the price, unless you score at Marshalls!
    I'll check it out!

Basenotes Institution

Welcome Gonz !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Hi gonz, welcome to basenotes! You will make buying mistakes sometimes but we've all been there, that's how you learn what works for you & what doesn't. Just enjoy the ride!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Welcome, gonz!

Welcome! Nice to see you on the Basenotes forums!

I'm new to the site too i'd like to welcome myself and the newcomers!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    Hello everyone!

-gonz
    Quote Originally Posted by shusterman View Post
    I'm new to the site too i'd like to welcome myself and the newcomers!
    Welcome to both of you.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Welcome Gonz and Shusterman too ! Hope you enjoy the site. Personally, I really like reading the directory.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !