Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    ***HELP!!***

    Ok, so i got into fragrances about 2 years ago, and i wanted to buy every scent there is, but it dawned on me that i don't need so many bottles, just a few that personally mean a lot to me, so i decided on the almost impossible task of having only 15 scents in my collection, after sampling almost hundreds of scents, i only want 15 bottles, 15 of the best ive ever smelled, 15 scents that capture my imagination, here is my collection so far...

    A Men Pure Malt
    Rose 31
    Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    New Haarlem
    London
    Tobacco Vanille
    Geranium Pour Monsieur
    154

    Coming soon are

    Terre d'Hermes
    Carnal Flower

    I need help completing my final 5 spots, and i have no clue what to look for! can anyone help, based on my collection so far, that i might like????

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Aramis Havana
    Rochas Man
    Creed Silver Mountain Water

    Based off your list, those three came to mind

  3. #3
    sirsmellzalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Well, in a 15 fragrance "ultimate" collection, I definitely think you need something from MPG (preferably vintage). Top choice would be Santal Noble. It looks like you're missing a good Amber, a good Incense, and a good Patchouli. For amber, I'd go with either MPG's Ambre Precieux, Luten's Ambre Sultan, or Hermessence's Ambre Narguille. I'll have to think about the Incense (maybe CdG's Avignon?), but for Patchouli I'd either go with Jalaine's Patchouli or HdP's Noir Patchouli. Oh yea! Where's your vetiver? Without a doubt, an "ultimate" collection definitely needs a good vetiver and for that, I'd go with Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire or Jalaine's Vetiver. Any which way you go, good luck!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    You definitely need vetiver, you need Vetiver Extraordinaire

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    You definitely need vetiver, you need Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Thats one i definitely looked at, i think i may go for it! 1 down 4 to go, thanks guys!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    Well, in a 15 fragrance "ultimate" collection, I definitely think you need something from MPG (preferably vintage). Top choice would be Santal Noble. It looks like you're missing a good Amber, a good Incense, and a good Patchouli. For amber, I'd go with either MPG's Ambre Precieux, Luten's Ambre Sultan, or Hermessence's Ambre Narguille. I'll have to think about the Incense (maybe CdG's Avignon?), but for Patchouli I'd either go with Jalaine's Patchouli or HdP's Noir Patchouli. Oh yea! Where's your vetiver? Without a doubt, an "ultimate" collection definitely needs a good vetiver and for that, I'd go with Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire or Jalaine's Vetiver. Any which way you go, good luck!
    Im without a doubt gonna get FM's vetiver extraodinaire, what is Ambre Narguille like?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    +1 to some vetiver like Encre Noire
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

    1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

  8. #8
    Neurosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I don't have the accent, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    I can agree on a need for a vetiver...perhaps a leather fragrance as well?

  9. #9
    Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Gris Clair for a lavender. Try Sel de Vetiver as well.

  10. #10
    sirsmellzalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    what is Ambre Narguille like?
    It's gorgeous. It's not as heavy as the typical ambers I've encountered. It's a Jean-Claude Ellena creation, who is known for "transparence" and relative minimalism in his fragrances. Because of this, Ambre Narguille can be worn year-round as opposed to your typical heavy and heady amber which is most appropriate in the Fall or Winter. Hope this helps.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    I see you're from London. Have you been to a Ted Baker store? I'd encourage you to check out
    Ted Baker Endurance and see what you think. If you like ginger, I think you'll love Endurance.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    A few Malle's: Vetiver Extraordinaire and Musc Ravaguer
    Creed Green Valley or Chanel no. 19

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    It's gorgeous. It's not as heavy as the typical ambers I've encountered. It's a Jean-Claude Ellena creation, who is known for "transparence" and relative minimalism in his fragrances. Because of this, Ambre Narguille can be worn year-round as opposed to your typical heavy and heady amber which is most appropriate in the Fall or Winter. Hope this helps.
    sounds perfect for me! ive tried ambre sultan and amber absolute, both very nice but a little overbearing for me, many people say ambre narguille is the best from the hermessence line, i'll definitely check it out, thanks so much!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    A few Malle's: Vetiver Extraordinaire and Musc Ravaguer
    Creed Green Valley or Chanel no. 19
    i love VE, thats on my list, i liked MR, but preferred Tobacco Vanille and didn't feel like having both

  15. #15
    LucasKane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Maybe a leather fragrance like Neurosis said. I can recommend:
    Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley. A modern, modest leather.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    No such thing as an ultimate collection without Kouros.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan View Post
    No such thing as an ultimate collection without Kouros.
    while i could appreciate Kouros, it just wasn't me. It didn't grab me after a couple of wearings.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    No, answer me! What are the 39 steps?

    I'm a bit confused by your question.

    " after sampling almost hundreds of scents, i only want 15 bottles, 15 of the best ive ever smelled "

    But in the first place you don't list the hundreds you've smelled and we have no way of knowing which ones you thought were 5 star+ fragrances.

    I don't think it's possible to guess which ones you thought absolutely terrific by knowing what your collection is so far.
    The fact that one of them is Ford's Tobacco Vanille offers no clue as to whether you'd like Encre Noir, Gris Glair, Havana or Buddha alone knows what.

    So " I need help completing my final 5 spots, and i have no clue what to look for! can anyone help, based on my collection so far, that i might like???? "

    No. Not really.

    And what happened to the " . . . best I've ever smelled? "

    The responses you've been getting are more along the lines of;

    " This is what I think no great collection should be without. "

    But that's not what you asked. What are the best you've smelled? If you can narrow it down to say, 30 I'm sure someone would oblige you by narrowing it down further.

    Unless " What fragrances should no great collection be without " is indeed what you meant in the first place.

    Could you clarify?

    Cheers,

    Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 20th August 2010 at 08:13 AM.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oslo
    Posts
    6,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Every man with a interest for fragrances should have Hermes Bel Ami and Chanel Egoiste in their collection.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    No, answer me! What are the 39 steps?

    I'm a bit confused by your question.

    " after sampling almost hundreds of scents, i only want 15 bottles, 15 of the best ive ever smelled "

    But in the first place you don't list the hundreds you've smelled and we have no way of knowing which ones you thought were 5 star+ fragrances.

    I don't think it's possible to guess which ones you thought absolutely terrific by knowing what your collection is so far.
    The fact that one of them is Ford's Tobacco Vanille offers no clue as to whether you'd like Encre Noir, Gris Glair, Havana or Buddha alone knows what.

    So " I need help completing my final 5 spots, and i have no clue what to look for! can anyone help, based on my collection so far, that i might like???? "

    No. Not really.

    And what happened to the " . . . best I've ever smelled? "

    The responses you've been getting are more along the lines of;

    " This is what I think no great collection should be without. "

    But that's not what you asked. What are the best you've smelled? If you can narrow it down to say, 30 I'm sure someone would oblige you by narrowing it down further.

    Unless " What fragrances should no great collection be without " is indeed what you meant in the first place.

    Could you clarify?

    Cheers,

    Mario
    First of all, the best ive smelled are the ones already in my collection, i want 15, 5 star scents, i already have 10, so im merely suggesting, based on what i have to suggest some more scents i might not have tried, or i may have tried but probably need to give it another chance as you might be insistent that its a great fragrance.

    No need to over think things, just want to sample some others think are the 'holy grail', and its working, ive already got vetiver Extrodinaire, Ambre Narguille and patchouli noir in my sights.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Hello JLouisMi,

    I've imposed on myself practically the same constraints as you, my aim being to get a perfect 10. My method seems a bit different from yours, however. If you go to my wardrobe and browse my wish list, you'll see I divided the perfumes I loved most into 9 categories. I can then pick one perfume from each category, plus an extra, to make 10.

    Of course, the categories change over time, as does their content. The point of this method is simply to focus my search so that even a small collection might span a number of recognised genres. You could make up other categories (eg. "80s powerhouse") or even be more classical than I am so far (eg. "chypre" etc.).

    In any case, I recognise the fact that even when I reach my perfect 10, my tastes will change over time with repercussions on the shape of my collection. That's why I prefer to keep such a list to allow myself to have a "dynamic 10" while keeping some order.

    My main reason for trying to keep to 10 is simply practicality and fun, by the way. I don't want to buy things I'll end up not using, and I want to keep the hunt as interesting as the "catch" (in this case: owning beautiful smells).
    Last edited by encrenoire75; 20th August 2010 at 01:16 PM.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Quote Originally Posted by encrenoire75 View Post
    My main reason for trying to keep to 10 is simply practicality and fun, by the way. I don't want to buy things I'll end up not using, and I want to keep the hunt as interesting as the "catch" (in this case: owning beautiful smells).
    My reasons exactly, i set high standards for fragrances, and if its just 'very nice', i wont but it, the hunt for the spectacular makes this hobby exciting, i took a look at your wardrobe, excellent idea!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan View Post
    No such thing as an ultimate collection without Kouros.
    Absolutely right!

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    First of all, the best ive smelled are the ones already in my collection, i want 15, 5 star scents, i already have 10, so im merely suggesting, based on what i have to suggest some more scents i might not have tried, or i may have tried but probably need to give it another chance as you might be insistent that its a great fragrance.

    No need to over think things, just want to sample some others think are the 'holy grail', and its working, ive already got vetiver Extrodinaire, Ambre Narguille and patchouli noir in my sights.
    In that case your best shot might be to look up the ones you already love and own in the review section and find a reviewer who feels the same way (preferably one that feels the same way about 3 or more of the frags you love) who you think is spot on about the reasons why you both think these are terrific scents,
    --And look up his other reviews for whatever else he considers the best of the best.
    Or check out his wardrobe.

    Pax,

    Mario
    My Wardrobe

    Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

    My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Need help with my 15 Scent ultimate collection

    Oh, even from my limited experience in perfumes I can say you're missing so much. 15 is way too little...anyhow the main things that come to my mind:

    1. Most importantly you need a good Amber: There are two types of Ambers to my nose, sweet soft creamy amber and dark deep, woody somewhat leathery Animalic amber (and everything in between). I'd recommend MPG Ambre Precieux (my all time favorite perfume) for a soft creamy amber. And a middle eastern one if you want to go the deep amber route, CK obsession is the only western one I like and it's somewhat cheap/synthetic. If you want something in between go for Serge Lutens Amber Sultan or Tom Ford Amber Absolute, both are simply fantastic but similar, I like the tom ford better.

    2. Vetiver: Encre Noire, Encre Noire, Encre Noire but not everybody can appreciate so if you want an-appeal to everyone vetiver I suppose Guerlain or Tom Fords are decent. I'm not a vetiver expert by the way.

    3. Aoud: that's a whole world to discover, but M7 is a great perfume with Aoud in it, one of my all time favorites. However it is not really an "Aoud" fragrance, just a perfume with Aoud in it. For an actual Aoud- centered fragrance I'd go for something by Montale (many to chose from), Tom Fords Aoud wood, Amouage Gold. Or one of the many middle eastern attars, I wouldn't recommend pure Aoud oil though since I personally don't find it convenient but you could go that route as well.

    4. Patchouli: I hate to recommend another Tom Ford, but it's well deserve; Purple or White patchouli are nice.

    And maybe as some people recommended Leather and incense perfumes, even though I don't find them as much of a must-have like the other ones I mentioned personally. Also some of my recommendations are a bit expensive, but hey it's worth it if it's for your ultimate collection

Similar Threads

  1. Which is the ultimate vanilla scent for men?
    By dreamchaser in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 23rd July 2012, 01:32 PM
  2. Ultimate Seafaring Scent
    By bokaba in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th October 2008, 12:06 AM
  3. Looking for the ultimate forest scent
    By Hubert in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 13th November 2007, 04:26 AM
  4. Ultimate Barbershop Scent
    By n8nmc in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 14th April 2006, 08:07 PM
  5. Ultimate Barbershop Scent
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •