Code of Conduct

Default What is in your collection?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum...and just wanted to see what various colognes are a part of other member's collection.

I'm a little curious if most members collection consist primarily of "similar" type scents, or if there is more diversity involved. I'm also curious if there was really any thought process regarding what in in one's collection...like perhaps there are some are mainly for work/business, while others are for dating/romance, and yet others are for "seasonal" purposes etc. OR....if it's simply "just because they like them" or because they read and heard many good things about them.

I guess I'll start by naming mine. I currently have:

Acqua Di Gio by Giorgio Armani
    Nautica Voyage by Nautica
    Eternity by Calvin Klein
    Dolce & Gabanna PH by D&G
    La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male

I feel like I have a pretty well balanced collection, suitable for various times of the year and different occasions, but I'm definitely interested in what other members have as a part of their collection as well. Thanks!

Default Re: What is in your collection?

You can see people's 'wardrobe' by clicking the little bottle icon below their Name and avy

<---- Here
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

^^^^^^

What he said

(I try to have a little bit of everything... never know what you might hanker for )
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Ah, thanks for the heads up, Pipsta

I'm new, I'll learn

For anyone who would like to list their collection in this thread, I would greatly appreciate it and hope that they will. I'm curious about the REASONS for one's collection as much as for what is in it (i.e. - female compliments, longevity and projection, seasons, they just like the smell, etc., etc.)

My reasons... I like 'em...is there any other reason?

Hey Sportsfan. I'll take the time out to respond to this thread. Sportsfan, you're new to basenotes, and your wardrobe reflects that. And no, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not necessarily a good thing. With the exception of D&G ph, your wardrobe seems kinda linear. Naturally, the more you're on here, the more you will sample, and most likely discover fragrances in several fragrance groups (acquatic, gourmand, woody, oriental, etc). Then you'll probably discover that your wardrobe could benefit from a bit more diversity. But it's all about sampling, and with that comes exposure/education to/of different types of fragrances. That's the only way you'll discover how lacking or not your wardrobe is. I hope that helps...

any collection that doesnt have L'Instant de Guerlain is not complete. im serious

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Hey Sportsfan. I'll take the time out to respond to this thread. Sportsfan, you're new to basenotes, and your wardrobe reflects that. And no, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not necessarily a good thing. With the exception of D&G ph, your wardrobe seems kinda linear. Naturally, the more you're on here, the more you will sample, and most likely discover fragrances in several fragrance groups (acquatic, gourmand, woody, oriental, etc). Then you'll probably discover that your wardrobe could benefit from a bit more diversity. But it's all about sampling, and with that comes exposure/education to/of different types of fragrances. That's the only way you'll discover how lacking or not your wardrobe is. I hope that helps...
    Thanks, Larwiz...that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for

I can definitely respect that line of thinking, and you've provided me with some food for thought. OK, I'll be honest...here is how I arrived at my collection:

First, I did a little research into what people seemed to like (through reading reviews at various web sites, etc.). Then, I sampled those that I was interested in on my skin to see if I liked it. Next, I would ask at least a half dozen women what they thought of it. Then, I would see what kind of longevity it had. If it met all of those criteria with positive results, I would put it into the "seriously consider" category.

After that, it was basically a "process of elimination" type thing (i.e. - I liked this one more...women liked it more....better projection/longevity, etc.).

I thought I was fairly well rounded, as far as "seasons" go. I wanted a couple that would be good Spring/Summer type scents (Acqua Di Gio, Nautica Voyage)....a couple that would be good Fall/Winter type fragrances (La Nuit De L'Homme, JPG Le Male)....and a couple that would be good "year round" kind of scents (Eternity, Dolce & Gabbana). I also thought that Eternity and D&G would be good for business/work, and that JPG Le Male and YSL La Nuit De L'Homme would be better for "going out" (to the clubs, on dates, etc.).

Anyway, you've given some good feedback and things to consider....and I appreciate that. Very much.

As Larwiz said, your collection is reflective of someone just starting out. That's a selection of many popular, easy to find department store/Sephora type scents. Again, not a bad thing but if you're in here for awhile and into frags, you'll branch out a lot.

Just read the forum threads and check out the directory on any thing you see that you might want to investigate further.

Hard core people in here tend to have a wide variety of scents. Every person has different reasons for wearing what they do. I tend to like of lot of classic, masculine work scents. But I also have dating scents, summer scents and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    any collection that doesnt have L'Instant de Guerlain is not complete. im serious
    I'm just a few days from 'completing' my collection then.......

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I try to have a little bit of everything... never know what you might hanker for
    +1. I've made plenty of blind buys based on the reviews here in the directory and the forum.

I try to have at least several to choose from for any given occasion. Formal, hot weather casual, cold weather casual, evening wear etc.

When I joined basenotes I had same taste as most nonbasenoters so I appreciated just good fresh sporty aquatics and stuff like Egoiste, Opium, etc was unwearable heavy mess to my nose.
    Then later in winter I realized that sweet orientals are much better to wear in cold weather than fresh fragrances so I explored many of them and found my love for gourmands.
    I still dont have even medium collection but I tested many fragrances and what I appreciate are unique fragrances that have personality and can reflect some part of me to people around. Now I appreciate Opium or Egoiste, even if I cant wear them.
    Overall I think that my wardrobe is well balanced and builtfor any occassion (casual, formal, sport) and weather and I can live easy without soulless fragrances like Black Code (blind buy) and zillion summer editions of same aquatics..
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Ya, the wardrobe feature is by far the best feature on this site. Especially when you find somebody who shares your interests and tastes in fragrances, and you see their ratings and reviews. They can definitely help you in those stubborn decisions to make a blind buy. I actually keep my wardrobe as up-to-date as possible too.

I also started out with some aquatic-florals and even loved them. I have bought every sample I could find of drugstore brand/easy to find scents. But then I discovered MUA and basenotes and heard for the first time that there are also some creatures called "niche" fragrances... I have also discovered many of the old classics (Guerlain, Rochas, Patou, Balmain, etc.). And thus my wardrobe has exploded from some three bottles to around 40 and the old bottles had to all go...

What I do is I sample a LOT (I own a few hundred samples and am continuously receiving more, 20 to 50 per month), I test two new scents per day. If I find something which I love I put it aside and give it a full wear later. Then I try to get hold of a decant and if I finished it and I still adore the fume then it goes on my to-buy list. I don't put effort into trying to find a fragrance for every occasion/mood/weather/etc. I just purchase what I love. But my wardrobe has still evolved into a collection comprising a scent (usually several scents) fit for every imaginable life situation.

I also see my tastes evolving over time. I lean more and more towards complex scents, the idea of "clean scents" was left far behind...

And about women liking your perfume being a criterium: I wear perfume for my own pleasure. If my boyfriend does not like a scent I wear it in smaller doses. Then he doesn't even notice that I have something on. ;-) Besides, you can never please everybody...

Have a lot of fun discovering that big, wonderful perfume world out there!

No problem sportsfan. Glad I could help. Your process of elimination sounds a lot like most of ours. Me personally though, I don't bother asking a bunch of women what they like. I wear what I like. If a woman also appreciates it, then even better. But I wear what I wear because I like it.
    And I guess your wardrobe is sufficient for the occassions you listed. But I noticed you don't have any gourmands...that's a must for me. And there are no woody fragrances. And though arguably all could be worn at a very formal type event, other than maybe (arguably) Dolce & Gabbana ph, none of them scream QUALITY!!! OPULENCE!!! LUXURY!!! You want a scent like that in your wardrobe. The key to this fragrance thing is exposure. The more you try, the more purchasing options you have.

After reading Bonsai's post, I felt compelled to alter what I said a bit. I mentioned you not having any woody or gourmand fragrances. Not that you NEED TO have a fragrance under each fragrance category, but you should atleast try them. I don't have many aquatics, cuz from what I have sampled, that's just not my thing. I like sweeter fragrances, and that's what my wardrobe reflects. Like Bonsai said, buy what you like. Don't worry about classifications/categorys.

not much to add here, some good starting advice.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy. Don't forget the real world. Sample sample sample. Your wallet won't thank you, but your GF might. Wear what you like, if anyone else does too consider it a bonus. Popular doesn't always mean bad, nor is "interesting" always good.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

FM Une Fleur De Cassie
    FM Dans Tes Bras
    FM Une Rose
    FM Carnal Flower
    FM Musc Ravageur
    FM POAL
    FM Lipstick Rose
    SL Cuir Mauresque
    SL Feminite Du Bois
    ELO Rossy de Palma
    ELO Vierges Et Toreros
    Piguet Bandit
    Vero Profumo Onda
    Amouage Al Shomoukh
    By Kilian Beyond Love
    Le Labo Oud 27
    TDC Rose Poivree
    L'Artisan Al Oudh

Welcome to Basenotes SportsFan.

I wont be specific as to list fragrances in my wardrobe but you get the idea if I break my collection down this way.
    Currently I have got cheap ones, pricey ones, powerhouses, transparent,loud,soft,floral,masculine, woody, aquatics.
    You name it ... if I think it smells good I go for it. I came to basenotes to find something new after Acqua Di Gio

Welcome SportsFan. Too numerous to list but a nice balance between designer and niche running the gamut price wise.

I would say that you have gotten fantastic advice from some of the top basenoters in this thread. Heed the advice, but, remember to stay true to yourself. Just because scents gain a cult following on this website and are recommended for everything does not mean that you have to like it. Same can be said for fragrances that get a bad rap here, if you like it, wear it. Above everything else, SAMPLE. Order samples, trade samples, go to counters and spray. Give fragrances a longer experience than just the top notes, as you will begin to see over your time here, top notes can be off putting on some fragrances that have epic dry downs. And dear God, please, do not buy a Creed fragrance online and start a thread titled "Is my Creed a fake?"

Guys...sportsman came and went in august 2010

Sample and try anything and everything. Delve deep into researching notes and scent types. You'll soon be spending all your spare cash on fragrances!!!
    LOST! in scent and music

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Does anyone think SportsFan ever delved into the world of Creeds or any niche for that matter?

Haha oops.

DOH!! haha!!
    LOST! in scent and music