Code of Conduct

Default Parfums MDCI Invasion Barbare

Hi, I would like to have some contemporary reviews on this scent from the french pefume house MDCI. It seems that this scent could be holy grail material if I'm not mistaken. Also I would like to ask about the sample program, it is 77 euros for 7 out of their 9 fragrances and I wanted to ask whether MDCI reduce the difference in price for a full bottle with the same amount sent on the samples?

I have heard of fragrance companies doing this in the past.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Hillaire

Default Re: Parfums MDCI Invasion Barbare

I am so glad you brought it up!
    I think it's one of the best men's fragrances ever, easily in my 'top five'.

It's stately and prominent without being 'loud' and overbearing...
    It's classic without being fusty or powdery...
    It's elegant and poised without being 'old'...
    And it's a paradigmatic 'manly' fougere without smelling like any other thing I know of!

As for the sample program, I only really revere two scents from the line, IB and Promesse de l'aube; I find the line very erratic... so you might also consider trying one at a time.

For the record, I do not care for Ambre Topaki.

I've already sampled this one 4-5 times just to make sure I'm not missing something here. I didn't find anything special or very interesting about this and don't get all the hype about IB. To my it's like a cross between Le Male and Au Masculin by Lempicka esp. with its cold anise/licorice accord (I guess it's the cardamon note). Sure, IB's more refined, sports quality ingredients and has a vibrant fresh opening which I find quite appealing, but apart from that I don't find it FBW; the £200+ price for refill bottle in Harrods is a complete joke, IMHO.

It didn't move me. That's all I can recall...

firstly I was abit sceptical about this scent..But recently i've been wearing it from my 10 ml bottle and I liked it. It's like Le Male and Fahrenheit made with quality ingredients..
    I made another order of 5 samples but they canceled it because are closed till 1 of September
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I ordered a sample recently for myself and girlfriend. Invasion Barbare was the only one I liked, but not enough to buy a bottle and my other half wasn't too keen on the feminine fragrances. I've got some official 10ml bottles for sale on here if anyone's interested, Invasion Barbare is one of them

The sample service is 77 Euros with seven (but they sent me 8!) scents and all are a VERY generous 10ml! There is also a service for five scents I think. Then you can order a bottle with the sample service price deducted from the bottle. I ended up ordering IB and I do not regret it one bit. It's a smoldering scent with one of the most realistic warm cardamom notes I have ever smelt. I also like Promesse de l'aube (which is very similiar to 31 Rue Cambon), Enlevement au Serail (which is a brilliant different take on Mitsouko), and am warming up to Ambre Topaki...yes it does smell generic, but it's the best generic male scents I have ever smelt (if that makes any sense!). I found the 2 orange scents quite unwearable and extremely crude (Le Rivage des Syrtes, Vepres Siciliennes).

thank you for all the replies. Are the comparisons true about Invasion Barbare being closely related to Le Male? Because I really like Le Male but find it too common
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    thank you for all the replies. Are the comparisons true about Invasion Barbare being closely related to Le Male? Because I really like Le Male but find it too common
    You're welcome IB smells like a Le Male with a no-holds-barred budget! But I personally hate Le Male with a passion but adore IB. The concept of Le Male lies somewhere in IB but what clearly defines IB is cardamom which dominates the scent. The cardamom here is very realistic in all its fuzzy, sweaty glory whereas Le Male is dominated by a synthetic smelling lavender (although lavender plays a minor part in IB too). Le Male dries down a harsh vanilla, whereas IB has a velvety, tonka-like finish. My point is you could clearly tell the two apart and differentiate the quality.

I absolutely LOVE most of their scents. I did the sample set of 7 and we're still working through them. My wife is enamored by the peach scent. I love Invasion Barbare and once my decant (from the sample set) runs out, I guarantee I'll be a bottle. For the record, it's nowhere close to Le Male. I do also enjoy Ambre Topkapi, but I probably won't buy a bottle at the asking price once my sample is gone.

Though I really love the fact that it benefited me greatly, I would suggest to Claude (owner, super nice guy btw) that the 10ml sample program is too generous because it takes us so long to get through it that the initial starry eyes might fade a bit.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution

Can you comfortably wear Invasion Barbare in warm weather?

I contacted the Roja Dove Haute Perfumerie at Harrods London and had a brief conversation with the SA. I asked for this top 3 or mostly liked perfumes and mentioned Uden by Xerjoff and surprisingly Invasion Barbare by parfums MDCI so I'm very curious with this one now. He also said that it doesn't bear any resemblance to Le Male so there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Can you comfortably wear Invasion Barbare in warm weather?
    I think it's fine, but obviously without going overboard. It has a musky sweetness that could get to be too much if you wore a lot in Florida heat.

Okay, so now this house has made it to my radar. Would have started a new thread, but not really necessary. I have been sampling this and really like it. Any others out there familiar with it, or own it?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I think it's one of the best men's fragrances ever
    I absolutely agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If you prefer heavy-duty macho masculines, this is definitely not for you. But if your tastes run into the quieter & elegant styles, you'd be hard-pressed to find one as finely balanced as MDCI's Invasion Barbare. FBW imo. I particularly enjoy the smooth transition from the soapy slighty piquant thyme & lavender top to the musky warmer base. Seriously, Le Male has nothing on this one.

Sampled this one through luckyscent. Didn't do much for me at all. The vial is still sitting around collecting dust. Nothing unique about this one at all.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

It is a very soft, smoothe and understated masculine. It would be considered a little sweet except that the complexity of the mix of florals and woods is so masterful that it keeps generating a "sense of wonder" when sniffing it. I think it is one of the finer fragrances you can find today.

As far as character of Invasion Barbare is concerned, I personally find it a little too soft and comforting. It reminds me often of a version of a Guerlain masculine such as Habit Rouge but I would rather wear HR edp or Mouchoir de Monsieur than this one for this sort of soft gentlemans scent. And for this large amount of money to purchase, I prefer M by Pure Distance which is just as soft and understated but has the added benefit of warm leather in the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    It is a very soft, smoothe and understated masculine. It would be considered a little sweet except that the complexity of the mix of florals and woods is so masterful that it keeps generating a "sense of wonder" when sniffing it. I think it is one of the finer fragrances you can find today.

As far as character of Invasion Barbare is concerned, I personally find it a little too soft and comforting. It reminds me often of a version of a Guerlain masculine such as Habit Rouge but I would rather wear HR edp or Mouchoir de Monsieur than this one for this sort of soft gentlemans scent. And for this large amount of money to purchase, I prefer M by Pure Distance which is just as soft and understated but has the added benefit of warm leather in the base.
    Totally agree with everything you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I prefer M by Pure Distance which is just as soft and understated but has the added benefit of warm leather in the base.
    I sampled this too and think it's definitely comparable to Invasion Barbare but holy crap ... $198 for 17.5 ounces! Ouch!!

I'm loving both IB and M...I need to start saving some money to pick up a full bottle of one of these.

Ok I gave this one another try a few days ago and I like it, but the price is just too steep for me.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I love quite a few but I really REALLY want IB. I'm almost out of my 10ml sample from Claude. Hopefully the credit of buying the sample set is still valid, but I think I'll need to get a full bottle soon. I really wish he made regular non-bust bottles that didn't look like you bought a bottle missing the cap for that much money (and I'm not about to buy the gorgeous, but out of my range busts).

My first impressions...this is awesome. Reminds me of a Jean Claude Ellena frag because it is "light", wearable and pleasant... but IB is a little more complex. I could see wearing this in situations where Puredistance M might be too much. It also seems like the concentration isn't too strong, which is disappointing considering the high price.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I really wish he made regular non-bust bottles that didn't look like you bought a bottle missing the cap for that much money (and I'm not about to buy the gorgeous, but out of my range busts).
    I've seen the pictures...I assumed it was just to show how "nice" the bust version was. They really come without a cap? If so, that's crazy...I wonder if you even get a box with that version. Maybe they just send it in a big package of bubble wrap to drive the point home that you've made a bad decision not going with the weapon sized version for a significant increase in price...

On Luckyscent, it seems that the men's fragrances are the only ones pictured without caps..hmm...

Upon seeing the bust bottle and the note list, I assumed it was possible that I could very well buy the full presentation......

....however, upon smelling it, I was very dissapointed.

It seems to contain everything I dislike from these:

Maitre Centaure - The wierd combo of thick, greasy, waxy basenotes (which normally I like), with a heavy, attenuated, ROUND mint-like note.

Bvlgari MAN - the doughy, starchy flour-like powdery note, as well as the flabby olfactory image of something doughy.....only taken to an extreme with Invasion barbare

Gualtier house note - has a very gualtier-like combo of thick, semi-sweet vanillic amber, with baking spices in discreet amounts.

Ambre TopKapi I would like on a female, but I could never appreciate invasion barbere on anyone. The bottle is awesome though.

My sample will arrive soon and can't wait to test this.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

It's one of those fragrances that makes me feel invincible, like Chanel PM. Exquisite, and probably FB-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    My first impressions...this is awesome. Reminds me of a Jean Claude Ellena frag because it is "light", wearable and pleasant... but IB is a little more complex. I could see wearing this in situations where Puredistance M might be too much. It also seems like the concentration isn't too strong, which is disappointing considering the high price.
    Next impressions are that it gets more complex in the drydown, losing the light, ethereal quality it has in the opening. It then becomes VERY, VERY similar to Versace Black Jeans, but without any patchouli and more prominent cardamon/spice notes. Both are definitely "Barber Shop" scents. I wore both, one on each arm and well... Black Jeans is it's equal in the drydown, IMO. It's also a little bit less expensive. I really liked the opening but it doesn't last very long.

^ Interesting...anyone else see a similarity to Black Jeans in the base? Black Jeans is one of my faves.

They should really offer a version with a regular cap...the busts look ridiculous.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    They should really offer a version with a regular cap...the busts look ridiculous.
    IIRC they do. I seem to remember a substantially discounted "refill" bottle offered to people who didn't want the artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    IIRC they do. I seem to remember a substantially discounted "refill" bottle offered to people who didn't want the artwork.
    Oh cool...for some reason I thought those came without any caps at all!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    On Luckyscent, it seems that the men's fragrances are the only ones pictured without caps..hmm...
    I think I just didn't realize - they all come with simple cap with tassle and actually look quite nice that way. The bust editions are the hand made full top presentations and I believe the newer versions are made with a less expensive material and are drastically less.

I absolutely love IB though and just ordered a full bottle yesterday. I can't wait for it to arrive - I think I'll have to resurrect my blog with photos!

Wow this stuff just rocks. Once I got the full bottle in and was able to give it a nice 2 pumps to the chest it was alive all day just radiating it's wonderfulness. It really hits my nose in different ways all day long, and what depth wow.

This one is totally my secret weapon scent now, it picked up several compliments on my first day out with it. It's just one of those that you smell and want to inhale deeply and say " wow, what is that??"

It's not overly anything, not too sweet, or clean or cloying it's just wonderful to me. And it just has that tiny bit of manly smell, not skanky in the least but just a clean musky man smell hiding in there.

Killer stuff.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

You guys are encouraging me! I'm gonna pour half the vial down my chest tomorrow.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Hmmm, I'm on the edge of whether or not to try this. As usual with high price bottles, I'm afraid I'll love it. I don't care for the look of the bottle itself though.

A very nice scent. A shame it doesn't come in a larger size.

this silogism is correct:

IB=Le Male
    Le Male=Antico Caruso

IB=Antico Caruso

if is not,explain me

thanks
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I must disagree, Dry_Martini. Likening Le Male to Invasion Barbare is akin to comparing mangoes to peaches. Yes, they both have a sweetness about them but you know they don't taste the same. To my nose there is a distinct soapiness to IB that I don't find on Le Male at all. But if anyone can't tell the two apart by all means go with Le Male or Antico Caruso. Your bank account will thank you for it.

Thanks Diamond ,i,m only curious about this i read this post and see that many people find IB similar ,for this ask if IB is similar in the same way that caruso is similar to le male.
    PD: of course i have a gold rule no more of 90/100 euros for a bottle.
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

It's a great fragrance to sample. $250 for a 50ml bottle is crazy.

Good fragrance, but at that price it makes Creed look like a bargain.

Unfortunately it can be as great as it wants but it still smells like Le Male A large step up and a lot more manly, but still too similar!
    Last edited by boosh; 24th July 2011 at 07:10 PM.

I don't smell Le male at all. All I get is light pepper.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Unfortunately it can be as great as it wants but it still smells like Le Male A large step up and a lot more manly, but still too similar!

WOW! Biggest backtrack of my fragrance journey. This stuff is awesome after the sweeter notes have dried. It's now in my all time top 10, very very good fragrance. It has that Azzaro pH kinda drydown to it, extremely masculine. Masculine in a "I don't give a s**t what you think of me" kinda way.

TRY THIS!