Code of Conduct

Default Burning match smell

Anyone know of a fragrance that is similiar to a fresh struck match? I find the hints of sulfer and burning wood appealing. Just curious if there was anything out there that might mimic that smell?
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Default Re: Burning match smell

Hard one, Kerosene. I guess this is probably one for the niche market. But from my collection:

Fahrenheit- A ball of fuel waiting for a match to happen.
    M7- fireplace vibe, but a bit incensy for what you probably mean.

Comme des Garcons Odeur 71 with its notes inspired by "dust on a hot lightbulb, warm photocopier toner, hot metal, a toaster, freshly welded aluminum, etc" is the closest thing I can think of.

Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories for something closer to a creosote, birchtar and sagebrush campfire. Le Labo Patchouli 24 comes to mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Comme des Garcons Odeur 71 with its notes inspired by "dust on a hot lightbulb, warm photocopier toner, hot metal, a toaster, freshly welded aluminum, etc" is the closest thing I can think of.

Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories for something closer to a creosote, birchtar and sagebrush campfire. Le Labo Patchouli 24 comes to mind as well.
    Alright, with the Comme des Garcons, you had me at warm photocopier toner. That is one of my favorite smells. I love to sit and rip off a hundred copies and fill the office with a sweet aroma. Anyway, off to Luckyscent to snag a sample. Thanks!

Encre Noire to me smells like burning wood.

Encre Noire has a very strong vetiver note to my nose. Cant say I really like that one. Thanks for the suggestion though.

You may have to create this one yourself. I really can't think of any fragrance that is as sharp as a struck match. What you might try is layering a very grapefruit (sulfur) heavy fragrance, like Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune with something smokey, say like Annick Goutal's Eau du Fier and a very dry wood, I suggest Serge Lutens' Chne, and see what happens - it could be interesting, or one hot mess.

I pick up a fairly strong sulfur note in Micallef Aoud Homme. I think a reviewer at Luckyscent also picked that up, so I'm not the only one.

To me it's a sulfurous oud/rose combo.

Salvador Dali for men is also quite dark and has a bit of a burning smell to it. More tar than sulfur, but it's overall character is probably one of the closest you'll find to what you're looking for. Oh, and it's also wearable, and enjoyable, which is no small feat with such an out-there frag.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens. Try Gucci ph, as well but the SL one is what's best suited to your incline.

[QUOTE=Kerosene;1911035]Alright, with the Comme des Garcons, you had me at warm photocopier toner.

I used to love that old Kenny Chesney song, "You had me at warm photocopier toner", but if you actually want something closer to a chemical smell, maybe Versace V/S. I got this bonus sample with an order, and I was immediately repulsed by this magic marker type smell.

Basenotes Institution

Have you smelled Avignon (Series 3: Incense) by Comme des Garcons, Kerosene?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Have you smelled Avignon (Series 3: Incense) by Comme des Garcons, Kerosene?
    Havent smelled that one. Shucks, I just placed my Luckyscent order a couple hours. I'll add this one for my next one.

Thanks everyone for the nice suggestions!

Borneo by Serge Lutens. The polite strike after a visit to the johnny.

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal
    Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens - very smoky, incensy

[QUOTE=Kerosene;1911115]Havent smelled that one. Shucks, I just placed my Luckyscent order a couple hours. I'll add this one for my next one.

Teresa sent me a decant sample of Avignon awhile back. It's one of her favorites, and she talked about it as well on her Youtube channel. She said it basically makes you smell like the Pope. I already added Ignition to my sample in the hope that it will be my first sucessful layering project. I may try it out this winter.

YSL Parisienne is said to have a "vinyl" accord, the scent of PVC, as in patent leather. It is supposed to evoke stiletto heels and nail lacquer with its notes of Damask rose, violet, peony, cranberry, patchouli, vetiver, musk and sandalwood, with vinyl and lacquer.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Goutal's Ambre Fetiche has a birch tar opening that's got a bit of the burned wood sort of smell... turns into an amber quite quickly, but it's there.

Speaking of Pamplelune (My SOTD!), while I've read about the grapefruit potentially going sulferous... I think Guerlain's one has so much creamyness behind it that it would never really do that. But maybe there's something to the grapefruit note idea. Perhaps getting just a plain GF base, or EO and wearing that with the intention of it going "sour"?
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Sonoma Scent Studio-- Fireside Intense

Fireside Intense

This smoky woods fragrance captures the oddly satisfying scent of smoked woods carried by the crisp fall air or emanating from an evening campfire. Fireside Intense opens with a fairly strong leather and smoke accord that mellows into a drydown of beautiful smoky woods, soft leather, and a touch of deep agarwoood. The fragrance has a very high percentage of natural oils and resins that provide a soft but lasting natural, outdoorsy drydown. No sulfur.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Sonoma Scent Studio-- Fireside Intense

Fireside Intense

This smoky woods fragrance captures the oddly satisfying scent of smoked woods carried by the crisp fall air or emanating from an evening campfire. Fireside Intense opens with a fairly strong leather and smoke accord that mellows into a drydown of beautiful smoky woods, soft leather, and a touch of deep agarwoood. The fragrance has a very high percentage of natural oils and resins that provide a soft but lasting natural, outdoorsy drydown. No sulfur.
    I see this scent pop up in other threads from time to time. One I'll need to check out.

I would also suggest Eau de Fier, which smells like hot asphalt, tar and smoky, smoky tea. Extremely unique and will cause your eyes to water if you overspray! Same goes for Fumerie Turque, which is also extremely smoky but I find comforting due to the sweetness of the beeswax. Encens Flamboyant is also an amazing incense. As a smoker, I definitely find associations with it. It's smells like the first whiff of cigarette smoke that you've smelt after you've tried to quit for a week; not the smoke a smoker is used to smelling everyday.

XXL Live by Daniel Hechter

Maybe this:

Ya know, I used to play with matches when I was a kid. I hid out in the back-yard behind the garage and experimented with burning things and enjoying the different smells of grass, leaves, wood and anything else I could find. That and the fire. However, despite my best efforts to wash up my mom ALWAYS knew I had been up to no good just from the smell, even hours later. Maybe you should just strike some matches in a closed space, wait a few minutes, then be on your way. Sure as hell be cheaper than perfume, and may even last longer. And the layering possibilities are endless!
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    Maybe this:

I have that. It's awesome, but I dont get much burning notes from it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    Ya know, I used to play with matches when I was a kid. I hid out in the back-yard behind the garage and experimented with burning things and enjoying the different smells of grass, leaves, wood and anything else I could find. That and the fire. However, despite my best efforts to wash up my mom ALWAYS knew I had been up to no good just from the smell, even hours later. Maybe you should just strike some matches in a closed space, wait a few minutes, then be on your way. Sure as hell be cheaper than perfume, and may even last longer. And the layering possibilities are endless!
    That's funny. My brother and I always played with fire as kids and mom always knew it too!

Have you tried Perry Ellis 360 Degrees Black? It has a tar/flint vibe. Maybe it comes close?

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    Have you tried Perry Ellis 360 Degrees Black? It has a tar/flint vibe. Maybe it comes close?
    The only Perry Ellis 360 I tried was the white one and it grossed me out and I havent tried any of the others. I'll give Black a whiff the next time I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    YSL Parisienne is said to have a "vinyl" accord, the scent of PVC, as in patent leather. It is supposed to evoke stiletto heels and nail lacquer with its notes of Damask rose, violet, peony, cranberry, patchouli, vetiver, musk and sandalwood, with vinyl and lacquer.
    I definitely get the “PVC/Vinyl” accord in Parisienne – and to my nose, it’s weirdly close to a burning match (but only the first few seconds – the sulfur part, not necessarily the smoky part): it kind of ‘attacks’ the back of my nose and top of the throat, but in a good way It’s almost like the old smell of permanent magic markers, too, or ether, maybe.

If Parisienne is too feminine, By Kilian’s Straight to Heaven also has this accord, as well as Parfums de Nicolai’s Vanille Intense (in which I smell no vanilla at all, by the way, just this odd but strangely addictive note). I’ve heard that it might be guaiac wood that gives this scent.

PS: I was really excited about trying Odeur 71, as well, for the photocopier toner scent – but it ended up just giving me the plasticky smell of new electronic equipment (which I also love) but magnified 1000 times. Damn nose! Hope you have better luck with it – seems to work better for many people.

How is it possible that nobody has said Jacomo de Jacomo? This smells almost exactly like burnt matches to me.

Zirh Ikon may be a worthy (and inexpensive) fragrance to try. I definitely get that "burning match" accord in it, but it's not dominant. It also has a huge rubber accord in it as it dries down. It's a very "dirty" frag.. I think you might like this though. It's a little reminiscent of Zero Plus, but with no vanilla or heliotrope, and less cinnamon and far more clove.

There's a Demeter called Fireplace that I think may be close to what you're after.

There's a bit of burning match or, perhaps more accurately, burning brake dust smell in the opening of Dzing!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I purchased this blindly, and love it:

CdG Synthetic Series: Tar

Which SUPPOSEDLY is being discontinued according to the SA at CdG in Chelsea.

It claims to have gunpowder note which could be similar to the note you are after - Smalto's Full Choke.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    There's a bit of burning match or, perhaps more accurately, burning brake dust smell in the opening of Dzing!
    BINGO! I get that too!

Try Bugari's BLV. It smells like gunpowder.

Default Burning match smell

Have you smelled Mona di Orio - Les Nombres d’Or: Cuir?

I just commented on this in another thread. If you want a burnt down house smell, here you go! Not exactly a burnt match smell, but something very unique. (if the fire, ash smell is your thing).

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour View Post
    Try Bugari's BLV. It smells like gunpowder.
    You must mean the ginger. Smells nothing like gunpowder to me. Smells like a huge blast of ginger and florals.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Zirh Ikon may be a worthy (and inexpensive) fragrance to try. I definitely get that "burning match" accord in it, but it's not dominant. It also has a huge rubber accord in it as it dries down. It's a very "dirty" frag.. I think you might like this though. It's a little reminiscent of Zero Plus, but with no vanilla or heliotrope, and less cinnamon and far more clove.
    I picked this up a little while ago and do indeed like it. I get a sorta smoked cinnamon and spice scent. It's pretty good.

I'm testing something tonight that totally fits the bill here. Wild Aoud by Montale. The oud here is of the more sulfurous variety (like that in Micallef Aoud Homme) but instead of being paired with rose or any other florals, its paired with tobacco absolute and teak wood. There are other notes present too - a very nice geranium (an herbal lemony aroma with some aromatic bite), the aromatic bitter green of artemisia, and a dollup of patchouli, but the primary notes to my nose are the tobacco, oud and teak.

I don't know exactly what real teak wood smells like but teak in scents always smells woody/gray and even a bit ashy to me (occasionally it smells like Windex to me, too, but thankfully not here). Here, combined with the aoud, it definitely does call to mind a struck match, although the supporting notes make this not only wearable but thoroughly enjoyable (I imagine a linear accord of just the sulfurous smell of a struck match would become nauseating in no time, and would only be wearable to, oh, I dunno, a pyromaniac convention ).

Further, I think it's kind of ingenious to have this accord alongside the fresh tobacco note. What better to pair with the scent of a freshly opened pack of cigs than the smell of a freshly struck match. I gave up smoking long ago but the scent of fresh, unlit tobacco will always be appealing to me, and it is done well here, without being overpowering.

Anyone who knows me knows I am no fan of the house of Montale. I normally find their blends lacking any and all sophistication, and they are almost always too heavy/flat and loud for me, but Wild Aoud is none of those. It is dynamic, vibrant, and possesses moderate (read: normal, compared to most Montales) longevity and sillage.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Further into my wearing of Wild Aoud. Yup, it gets more and more sulfurous and match like as time goes on. Oddly, it also seems to be getting stronger now at the 3-4 hour mark. I am really digging this. It has more of a match/gunpowder note than any scent I've tried that has such a note listed.

You can ignore the rest of my recommendations. While they all have some sort of tie to the smell of a match burning, this scent has by far a clearer accord of it and it is prominent throughout a good portion of the frags development, something not true for my other recs.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I've only found one single fragrance even coming close to the smell of a struck match: Tom Ford Bois Rouge. The first time I smelled it's top notes, the association went straight to the sulphur in matches. The resemblance was uncanny.