Code of Conduct

Default Need help finding a perfume (picture included in post)

Hello everyone . I am a real newbie on this forum and this is my very first post. I am hoping someone might be able to help me find where I can find something. I found this perfume in a vintage shop and I just love it so much I can't stop sniffing myself every time I wear it . I tried googling it but no luck, it is quite obscure as to who made it. It has a french name, but I believe it has connections to the UK. I am attaching photos hoping it will jog some one's memory?
    Many thanks in advance, Sunny

Default Re: Need help finding a perfume (picture included in post)

Results from google-ing: "La Maisson d'Essence" was a factory in Zaandam in the Netherlands (the building is an industrial monument now) which used to creat high quality aromas (both for tasting and smelling - sorry, I can't come up with a better English expression). It was built in 1930 for the request of the Polak and Schwarz firm. See http://www.loftappartement.nl/. Lately it has been built into a luxury apartment house.

Sorry, I haven't found anything about the scent itself, but now at least we know where it came from.

Enjoy your find! :-)

Hi Bonsai and thank you so much for replying, I came across this enrty but could never understand it so thank you for the translation . By the sound of this, this is a perfume which is no longer made . Such a shame, it smells amazing and not tested on animlas which for me is an importnat factor. Maybe someone out there has a bottle lurking in the back of a dark cupboard???? I will be very happy to buy

The 'RWL Type' label suggests it's a 'sniffylikey' of a popular scent, but I can't think what RWL could refer to. What does it smell like?
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

After noticing the "Supplied by Perfumo" label on the back, I googled "perfumo la maison d'essence" and came up with this website. Googling "la maison d'essence" results in the Advertising Standards Agency determination on the case. There's also [URL="http://www.tradeindia.com/Seller-387915-La-Maison-D-Essence/">this link at TradeIndia[/URL].

I can't decide if you have a genuine bottle from a 1930s eastern European perfumery, or a knock-off from a company trading as La Maison d'Essence t/a Perfumo that exports perfumes "blended in Europe" to India. I hope it's the former!

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    The 'RWL Type' label suggests it's a 'sniffylikey' of a popular scent, but I can't think what RWL could refer to. What does it smell like?
    Now, that is an interesting idea however I am not even sure how to describe the scent, it is fresh, maybe a bit floral but not sweet, almost like a white scent if it makes sense. Not very good at describing scent due to lack of the correct "jargon". I wish there was a way to post the scent on these forums

Hi mel_lou, I doubt it will be a real 1930's bottle because of the "not tested on animals" logo on the box, I will take a photo of the bottle tomorrow, it might trigger someones memory. Even if its a knock-off, it is still absolutely gorgeous.

Blog Entries

Some articles about this company:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints-and.../CS_39292.aspx
    http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigat...obs-stink.html

I expect they're now finally out of business, but I did find this address and phone in the UK:
    Karma House, 575 North End Road, Wembley, HA9 0UU
    Telephone: 020 8795 5060

I wish we could smell this perfume and let you know what else you might like, since it probably was made in the style of a current, popular scent. I doubt any perfumes are tested on animals these days, given what I understand about how they're commissioned and produced. Companies like Firmenich that create synthetic fragrance molecules and flavor compounds (used in everything from laundry detergent to cough syrup) probably did in the past and might still, but the perfume makers themselves (like Dior or Kenzo), no. So if La Maison claims they didn't spray their perfume on bunnies, it's believable (think at least about the cost of doing that kind of testing). But if they try to guarantee that the ingredients used have never been tested on animals at any point in their creation and manufacture (by others), I'd be very skeptical.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thank you Heartwood and yes I do wish someone will develop a way of posting scents on line, wouldn't that be an amazing thing? and regarding animal testing, these days no finished product is tested on animals, it is the ingredients which are the ones tested. I know that in the past everyone used ingredients tested on animals but companies who are endorsed as non testing have a FCOD (fixed cut off date) from which that date they will not use any ingredients tested.

One company who produces vegetarian and vegan perfumes is called "Dolma" a UK company and their Vegamusk perfume is to die for, I am getting complimented everytime time I wear it.

I appreciate the links and the info, I will try and do some research.

no help, but there are perfumers out there that will recreate a scent from a sample. Perhaps that would be an avenue to explore. I would suspect as someone else mentioned that RWL type on the box implies is was made to smell like a more popular scent, now if we could only figure out which one.

Don't say "no help" jacona, you have certainly given me a direction to go and it might take time but half of the fun is the research. Just out of curiosity, What does the RWL stand for and how does everyone know that it is ascent which is made to smell like something else?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunny 512 View Post
    What does the RWL stand for and how does everyone know that it is ascent which is made to smell like something else?
    sunny, because it says RWL Type. That is, it may be that your perfume is an imitation of a perfume the company abbreviates or identifies as RWL. If we can figure out which perfume RWL refers to, we can look up the original. If it was good enough to imitate, maybe it's still on the market.

it says RWL Type
    Good point 30 Roses, the things we learn here

Blog Entries

Maybe the L stands for "Ladies", and the Fragrance is RW? So...what could that be?

This seems like a long-shot, but there was a perfume company in New Orleans called Royal Perfume that was pretty prolific in the '40s and '50s, and they had a fragrance called Royal White Lilac. It's my impression that they were very regional, but the company was in business for about twenty years so I thought I'd mention it.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

WL could be White Linen for a popular, fresh, not sweet, white, floral. That leaves a stray R though!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Hi evangeline, I love long shots because you never know where they might lead and that name, I can almost smell it.

Does it smell like lilacs?? Where was the vintage shop you found it in?
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

WL could be White Linen for a popular, fresh, not sweet, white, floral. That leaves a stray R though!
    That actually is a mighty good description and it could be that one? I think i need to go on a sniffing mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Does it smell like lilacs?? Where was the vintage shop you found it in?
    I am ashamed to say I can't remember what Lilac smells like, and that vintage shop is in my home town in England (we call it a charity shop)

Well, a smell-alike of anything by this tiny, now defunct New Orleans parfumerie turning up in England seems rather unlikely, but you're right, you never know. Good luck with your search - be sure to let us know if you get any definitive answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Well, a smell-alike of anything by this tiny, now defunct New Orleans parfumerie turning up in England seems rather unlikely, but you're right, you never know. Good luck with your search - be sure to let us know if you get any definitive answers!
    What a shame, I really would have loved a trip to New Orleans, and yes of course as soon as there is any development, this will be the first place I come to, everyone was so helpful and I am really grateful.

Hi.
    I am the manufacturer for the above fragrance. if you would like a bottle please do not hesitate to contact me

regards
    Mo

perfumo, how exciting that you came to basenotes! What are the notes of this mystery perfume?
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

This is so unbelieavable, what are the chances of that hey? How do I get in touch? and thank you very much Mo where are you located by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by perfumo View Post
    Hi.
    I am the manufacturer for the above fragrance. if you would like a bottle please do not hesitate to contact me

regards
    Mo